HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
  #226
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,085
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I was there, you sucked!
Damnit!

My flaws revealed by a mysterious on-looker.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
  #227
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
I have a question for people here regarding Price, something that I've observed (well, I think I've observed) through the years by watching him. There are 2 things that seem to happen quite often with Carey Price:

1) Letting two goals in a very short time (like 2 minutes max)

2) Letting a goal in the last 2-3 minutes of the game, to lose his shutout.

I don't have stats, and I don't say this to bash Carey Price: I think we are so lucky to have a great goalie like him on our time, plus he looks like an awesome guy with a great sense of humor. It's only that I seem to have observed these two things quite often through the last 3-4 years...

Any thoughts? If you think I'm completely wrong, it's alright

jpchabby is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  #228
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Greatest post of the year.
Biggest troll of theyear...

Price must have done the same thing with you, as Markov did to Mr. Hab???

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
  #229
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Biggest troll of theyear...

Price must have done the same thing with you, as Markov did to Mr. Hab???
Yeah.....?

How did you know?

Its hilarious though when we say something about Carey Price some people take it personal

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
  #230
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,085
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
I have a question for people here regarding Price, something that I've observed (well, I think I've observed) through the years by watching him. There are 2 things that seem to happen quite often with Carey Price:

1) Letting two goals in a very short time (like 2 minutes max)

2) Letting a goal in the last 2-3 minutes of the game, to lose his shutout.

I don't have stats, and I don't say this to bash Carey Price: I think we are so lucky to have a great goalie like him on our time, plus he looks like an awesome guy with a great sense of humor. It's only that I seem to have observed these two things quite often through the last 3-4 years...

Any thoughts? If you think I'm completely wrong, it's alright
The letting two goals thing in a short period of time is a function of the team, not Price. You'd be hard pressed to find a scenario when he let in two bad goals in a game, let alone back to back in short intervals..

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
  #231
Its Alright Ma
Registered User
 
Its Alright Ma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
I had a bizzarre conversation with my Aunt (huge Habs fan) the other day. Basically the rest of her family was ragging on me cuz of the recent Habs win over the B's, and somehow the conversation gets on to Carey Price. Her face suddenly contorts in rage "I HATE Carey Price. Absolutely think he's going to hold us back from winning the cup".

My reaction was basically "WTF?" I had no idea Habs fans were at all skeptical of him anymore. I knew when Halak got traded their was some controversy but Price has been absolutely stellar ever since, so it definitely caught me by surprise.

Some people call Price one of the best if not the best in the game. Meanwhile his stats are good but not great, though he has gotten lots of wins. Personally I've always thought he was excellent, but I don't fear him the way I fear a Lundqvist.

Can he take you guys to the cup? I feel like he can. It reminds me a bit of Thomas actually, none of us B's fans knew if he could be "the guy" in the playoffs, until suddenly he was. Sooner or later Price is going to put up a huge playoff run and it'll seem obvious in retrospect that he could get the job done, but I suppose until it happens there will always be doubters.

Its Alright Ma is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
  #232
Carey Cost*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Alright Ma View Post
I had a bizzarre conversation with my Aunt (huge Habs fan) the other day. Basically the rest of her family was ragging on me cuz of the recent Habs win over the B's, and somehow the conversation gets on to Carey Price. Her face suddenly contorts in rage "I HATE Carey Price. Absolutely think he's going to hold us back from winning the cup".

My reaction was basically "WTF?" I had no idea Habs fans were at all skeptical of him anymore. I knew when Halak got traded their was some controversy but Price has been absolutely stellar ever since, so it definitely caught me by surprise.

Some people call Price one of the best if not the best in the game. Meanwhile his stats are good but not great, though he has gotten lots of wins. Personally I've always thought he was excellent, but I don't fear him the way I fear a Lundqvist.

Can he take you guys to the cup? I feel like he can. It reminds me a bit of Thomas actually, none of us B's fans knew if he could be "the guy" in the playoffs, until suddenly he was. Sooner or later Price is going to put up a huge playoff run and it'll seem obvious in retrospect that he could get the job done, but I suppose until it happens there will always be doubters.
Difference with Thomas: no one believed in Thomas not even all those great GMs, scouts, commentators, hockey players around the league that firmly believed in Price.

Carey Cost* is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:18 AM
  #233
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Alright Ma View Post
I had a bizzarre conversation with my Aunt (huge Habs fan) the other day. Basically the rest of her family was ragging on me cuz of the recent Habs win over the B's, and somehow the conversation gets on to Carey Price. Her face suddenly contorts in rage "I HATE Carey Price. Absolutely think he's going to hold us back from winning the cup".

My reaction was basically "WTF?" I had no idea Habs fans were at all skeptical of him anymore. I knew when Halak got traded their was some controversy but Price has been absolutely stellar ever since, so it definitely caught me by surprise.

Some people call Price one of the best if not the best in the game. Meanwhile his stats are good but not great, though he has gotten lots of wins. Personally I've always thought he was excellent, but I don't fear him the way I fear a Lundqvist.

Can he take you guys to the cup? I feel like he can. It reminds me a bit of Thomas actually, none of us B's fans knew if he could be "the guy" in the playoffs, until suddenly he was. Sooner or later Price is going to put up a huge playoff run and it'll seem obvious in retrospect that he could get the job done, but I suppose until it happens there will always be doubters.
Yes.

I don't really know what else to answer... I agree with you :p

jpchabby is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
  #234
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,460
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The letting two goals thing in a short period of time is a function of the team, not Price. You'd be hard pressed to find a scenario when he let in two bad goals in a game, let alone back to back in short intervals..
This is not entirely true. Goaltending is largely mental, the difference between a good .910 performance and an amazing .935 performance is being in the zone and seeing plays. Unless you've played goal, it's tough to explain.

You can't just choose to be in the zone.

It's easy for a good goalie to lose concentration after a goal is scored on you if something affected you in that goal, aka someone bumped you illegally or your teammate made a bad play. These things can throw you off and you can still not make a mistake on the next play but not being in the zone can stop you from not making an amazing unexpected save.

That's why they say goalies are the most superstitious person on a team, a good goalie will create for himself, a million habits so he can find a way to continually put himself back in concentration mode.

macavoy is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
  #235
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
The Carey Price Discussion Thread

With all this blaming of Carey Price for losing or more specifically, not winning us games, I'm curious to know who you'd rather have in net?

It's one thing to bash a guy but another entirely to say who'd prefer to man the nets for the Canadiens for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe we can have a poll once/if we settle in on a few names over Price just to see.

For my money, there's no other goalie I'd rather have in the NHL than Price right now.

Price - 1

Other - 0

shutehinside is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
  #236
The Russian General
Força Portugal
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 11,813
vCash: 500
Price is the man.

The Russian General is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
  #237
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,156
vCash: 500
Price is the man, going forward and right now.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
  #238
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
We're 4th in the entire league, people who blame Price for anything are retarded. Really.

Price is awesome and so is the rest of the team.

Seb is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
  #239
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 2007
Nobody's perfect and that includes Carey. I'd still take him regardless.

peate is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
  #240
Darch
Registered User
 
Darch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Habs fans are so funny. This team could win every game, 10-0 and there would still be people knocking them for not making it 12-0.

Price is fine, name me a single goalie who never let in a softie here and there, or a goal that appeared like a softie to people who have no clue what being a goalie is like.

Darch is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
  #241
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
With all this blaming of Carey Price for losing or more specifically, not winning us games, I'm curious to know who you'd rather have in net?

It's one thing to bash a guy but another entirely to say who'd prefer to man the nets for the Canadiens for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe we can have a poll once/if we settle in on a few names over Price just to see.

For my money, there's no other goalie I'd rather have in the NHL than Price right now.

Price - 1

Other - 0
Not sure where you get anybody on here calling for Price to be moved.

Saying a guy gave up a bad goal or had a bad game is stating a fact not hating a player. Some people on here are haters...some Desharnais, other it was Subban until this year, others Plekanec or Gionta...however if there are any Price haters they are few and far in between.

I think he is a top 10-15 NHL goalie...BUT I think he acn be better, he has another level or even two that he can reach...next one being a top 5 guy year in year out...and the one above that is hall of fame/superstar Brodeur/Roy/Thomas/Hasek type playoff goaltending to win a champonship.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
  #242
Saintpatrick
Registered User
 
Saintpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
I can't help looking at his playoff record and worry but I love Price and I wouldn't want anyone else in nets

Saintpatrick is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
  #243
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure where you get anybody on here calling for Price to be moved.

Saying a guy gave up a bad goal or had a bad game is stating a fact not hating a player. Some people on here are haters...some Desharnais, other it was Subban until this year, others Plekanec or Gionta...however if there are any Price haters they are few and far in between.

I think he is a top 10-15 NHL goalie...BUT I think he acn be better, he has another level or even two that he can reach...next one being a top 5 guy year in year out...and the one above that is hall of fame/superstar Brodeur/Roy/Thomas/Hasek type playoff goaltending to win a champonship.
Thomas is not a hall of famer. He was part of one of the best defensive team in the league, and it shows with Rask and Khudobin having the same kind of success.

I don't think he his pointing out to the objective people, more the ones that have an agenda. And theres many of them.

Anyway, You're right, he can be better

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
  #244
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Yeah.....?

How did you know?

Its hilarious though when we say something about Carey Price some people take it personal
When your username and all your posts are about how Price sucks, you're the one making it personal.

Souvenirs is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  #245
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Thomas is not a hall of famer. He was part of one of the best defensive team in the league, and it shows with Rask and Khudobin having the same kind of success.

I don't think he his pointing out to the objective people, more the ones that have an agenda. And theres many of them.

Anyway, You're right, he can be better
Thomas's career as a whole wasn't superstar or Hall of Fame level but the year they won the cup he played at a superstar/hall of fame level.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
  #246
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
I had the exact same question in my head. There's some people who just don't like the guy because he was given the job at such a young age. You know what, that's not his fault. Some people are pissed that their beloved Halak was traded instead of Price, well that's not his fault either (by the way Halak sucks this year and has never been able to prove that he can be a #1 goalie able to play 60-70 games a year).

This is not an excuse for Carey's bad games and the bad goals he sometimes gives up, but all goalies have bad games and give up bad goals, we just scrutinize every single one in Montreal compared to other markets.

Lots of good goalies are having strange years and are inconsistent including Quick, Rinne, Luongo and Miller.

In an ideal world, the Canadiens would always have the best and least paid goalie in the league, but guess what, this isn't a fantasy team.

Here's a list of the 15 top paid goalies in the league.

Player Pos Team Age Start End Length Amount
1. Rinne, Pekka » G NAS 30 2012 2019 7 $7,000,000
2. Lundqvist, Henrik » G NYR 31 2008 2014 6 $6,875,000
3. Price, Carey » G MTL 25 2012 2018 6 $6,500,000
4. Ward, Cam » G CAR 29 2010 2016 6 $6,300,000
5. Miller, Ryan » G BUF 32 2009 2014 5 $6,250,000
6. Backstrom, Niklas » G MIN 35 2009 2013 4 $6,000,000
7. Kiprusoff, Miikka » G CGY 36 2008 2014 6 $5,833,333
8. Bryzgalov, Ilya » G PHI 32 2011 2020 9 $5,666,667
9. Luongo, Roberto » G VAN 34 2010 2022 12 $5,333,333
10. Thomas, Tim » G NYI 38 2009 2013 4 $5,000,000
11. Fleury, Marc-Andre » G PIT 28 2008 2015 7 $5,000,000
12. DiPietro, Rick » G NYI 31 2006 2021 15 $4,500,000
13. Hiller, Jonas » G ANA 31 2010 2014 4 $4,500,000
14. Brodeur, Martin » G NJD 40 2012 2014 2 $4,500,000
15. Schneider, Cory » G VAN 27 2012 2015 3 $4,000,000


Here's how they are playing in comparison to Carey.

Superior

15. Schneider, Cory » G VAN 27 2012 2015 3 $4,000,000 (.928 sv pct)
2. Lundqvist, Henrik » G NYR 31 2008 2014 6 $6,875,000 (.926 sv pct)

Similar

11. Fleury, Marc-Andre » G PIT 28 2008 2015 7 $5,000,000 (.917 sv pct)
1. Rinne, Pekka » G NAS 30 2012 2019 7 $7,000,000 (.916 sv pct)
3. Price, Carey » G MTL 25 2012 2018 6 $6,500,000 (.915 sv pct)
6. Backstrom, Niklas » G MIN 35 2009 2013 4 $6,000,000 (.915 sv pct)
5. Miller, Ryan » G BUF 32 2009 2014 5 $6,250,000 (.914 sv pct)
13. Hiller, Jonas » G ANA 31 2010 2014 4 $4,500,000 (.911 sv pct)


Worse

14. Brodeur, Martin » G NJD 40 2012 2014 2 $4,500,000 (.908 sv pct)
4. Ward, Cam » G CAR 29 2010 2016 6 $6,300,000 (hurt, but .908 sv pct before)
9. Luongo, Roberto » G VAN 34 2010 2022 12 $5,333,333 (.904 sv pct)

Way Worse

8. Bryzgalov, Ilya » G PHI 32 2011 2020 9 $5,666,667 (.896 sv pct)
7. Kiprusoff, Miikka » G CGY 36 2008 2014 6 $5,833,333 (.873 sv pct)
12. DiPietro, Rick » G NYI 31 2006 2021 15 $4,500,000 (.855 sv pct)

As you can see by this Carey is having a decent year. We all want him to win every game and stop every puck, but its not gonna happen. Out of the top paid goalies in the league, he's performing above average. Remember that most goalies don't starting hitting their peak until their mid 20's such as Lundqvist and Rinne. Even Schneider is already 27 and will get a nice raise in 2 years if he can prove that he can be a #1 goalie and play 60-70 games a year.

Those who say Budaj could do the job have no clue. Look at Budaj's career numbers and get back to me. He's great as a back up and can probably fill in for Carey if anything happens for a few games, but some people seem to have short memories regarding last year

Lets all back Carey Price as he's our goalie of the present and the future. We know he can take his game to another level, so let's hope he brings it for the playoffs because we need him!

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
  #247
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I can't help looking at his playoff record and worry but I love Price and I wouldn't want anyone else in nets
A lot of those stats are A-his rookie year, though he played well in round 1 he struggled in round 2 at 20 as a rookie. A case of too much too soon but good experience. B-the 09-10 year where he had no chance playing behind a battered/decimated team with a bunch of key guys out and others playing at 50%.

In 10-11 he actually outplayed Thomas statistically in that 7 game series, Boston went on to win the cup, he played at an all-star level that year.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
  #248
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure where you get anybody on here calling for Price to be moved.

Saying a guy gave up a bad goal or had a bad game is stating a fact not hating a player. Some people on here are haters...some Desharnais, other it was Subban until this year, others Plekanec or Gionta...however if there are any Price haters they are few and far in between.

I think he is a top 10-15 NHL goalie...BUT I think he acn be better, he has another level or even two that he can reach...next one being a top 5 guy year in year out...and the one above that is hall of fame/superstar Brodeur/Roy/Thomas/Hasek type playoff goaltending to win a champonship.
I have no problem when people complain when he's having a bad game, hell I do it...But some posters WANT him to fail and can't wait to post every time he lets in a goal, regardless if its bad or not. Those are the posters that these posts are meant for. In my opinion they're the most annoying posters on our board at the moment and we spend more time arguing with them than anything else.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  #249
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,619
vCash: 500
I'm good with Price, he's as solid as they come. Goalies tend to come into their prime later than skaters do. He's 25 and is just coming into his prime now.

I'm confident in the guy and that won't change if we have a first round exit.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
  #250
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
price is good. I just want to see him make it to the next level and I have lofty expectations for him.

people keep saying, habs fans blame price. If someone asked price on his play, he would say he's had a bad year, for himself. he can play much better and he understands that and will continue to work on his game. He wouldn't be making excuses about screen shots, bad bounces, and just being unlucky.

he can be better, and should be better, and hopefully does it at the right time.

Nedved is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.