HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Homer doesn't miss on first round forwards, usually mid to late first rounders at that. Even when they went off the board with zubrus, he ended up being a good player. When they draft D and goalies it doesn't usually go well.
Hopefully we'll draft back-to-back with Nashville. We can tell them which forward we'd draft and they can tell us which D-man they'd take. Win-Win.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Homer doesn't miss on first round forwards, usually mid to late first rounders at that. Even when they went off the board with zubrus, he ended up being a good player. When they draft D and goalies it doesn't usually go well.
Holmgren usually doesn't miss on first rounders but I think even he knows this is an important draft to get some defenders in the organization. Obviously if MacKinnon or Drouin are on the board you have to take them tho. that I agree with. Outside of those 2 guys you have to draft defense in round 1.
If the Flyers get either of those 2 forwards I would probably bet some good money on the Flyers trading for Rundblad or Gormley.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If his arms and pelvis fell off, too, he'd be a bust.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Holmgren usually doesn't miss on first rounders but I think even he knows this is an important draft to get some defenders in the organization. Obviously if MacKinnon or Drouin are on the board you have to take them tho. that I agree with. Outside of those 2 guys you have to draft defense in round 1.
If the Flyers get either of those 2 forwards I would probably bet some good money on the Flyers trading for Rundblad or Gormley.
I think if Nurse is still on the board anywhere around 5-10 picks the Flyers will take him. They've been very candid about him to media.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'll go by McKenzie's list since he seems to be an aggregator of scouts :

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Sean Monahan
4. Elias Lindholm
5. Rasmus Ristolainen
6. Aleksander Barkov
7. Andre Burakovsky
8. Jacob de la Rose
9. Curtis Lazar
10. Kerby Rychel
With their second pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select Jacob de La Rose. ***I go wild in the stands of the Rock***

Old
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Mota

Need a clarification on the lottery...

Hypothetically, if we finish 7th from the bottom...are the only possible draft positions for us 1st (if we win), 7th (if a team below us wins), or 8th (if the team behind us wins)? Or does the lottery allow us to move up to 2-6?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Yes. 1, 7, or 8

Old
04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
With their second pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select Jacob de La Rose. ***I go wild in the stands of the Rock***
I wouldn't mind that. I also wouldn't mind if they took another defensemen assuming they landed Nurse in the 1st round. Guys like Samuel Morin and Jordan Subban are who I would target.

Nashville's taken defensemen with their first two picks plenty of times in the past. People rave about how good they are at drafting defensemen but the odds are on their side when they draft like that.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Or Barkov.

Not the end of the world not to get a d-man in the 1st round of the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Nashville's taken defensemen with their first two picks plenty of times in the past. People rave about how good they are at drafting defensemen but the odds are on their side when they draft like that.
Odds are not on your side to come out of a draft with d-men the caliber of Suter and Weber whatsoever or even Hamhuis for that matter. Nashville isn't just good at drafting d-men, their good at developing them.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Hopefully we'll draft back-to-back with Nashville. We can tell them which forward we'd draft and they can tell us which D-man they'd take. Win-Win.
LOL I thought exactly the same thing last night. Time to compare notes.....

Old
04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Or Barkov.

Odds are not on your side to come out of a draft with d-men the caliber of Suter and Weber whatsoever or even Hamhuis for that matter. Nashville isn't just good at drafting d-men, their good at developing them.
It's hard to develop defensemen when you're usually drafting them 3rd round or later.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
It's hard to develop defensemen when you're usually drafting them 3rd round or later.
And the Flyers have no one to blame but themselves on that one.

Point was that it's not like Nashville drafted a bunch of Coburns. They've drafted d-men like Suter, Weber, Timonen, Hamhuis, etc. Two of those d-men probably (or should) wind up top 5 in Norris voting this season. There's a lot more to just drafting those types of d-men than just drafting them in the top 2 rounds.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'll go by McKenzie's list since he seems to be an aggregator of scouts :

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Sean Monahan
4. Elias Lindholm
5. Rasmus Ristolainen
6. Aleksander Barkov
7. Andre Burakovsky
8. Jacob de la Rose
9. Curtis Lazar
10. Kerby Rychel
We need to take Nurse, Ristolainen or Zadorov if we're picking in the 7-9 range. We need a top D prospect to go with Gostibehere.

Not everybody has all the Dmen rated so low.

Craig Button's list:
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

ISS:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...two-positions/

Hockey News:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-rankings.html

Old
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Or Barkov.

If the clear BPA is a forward, you take it, but in this particular draft, many of the top 10 players happen to be defensemen. If all things are equal, we should take the defenseman, but if a Barkov is being compared to a Zadarov... I take Barkov.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
And the Flyers have no one to blame but themselves on that one.

Point was that it's not like Nashville drafted a bunch of Coburns. They've drafted d-men like Suter, Weber, Timonen, Hamhuis, etc. Two of those d-men probably (or should) wind up top 5 in Norris voting this season. There's a lot more to just drafting those types of d-men than just drafting them in the top 2 rounds.
I would agree with you that they aren't the best at developing them but they also don't even try to spend high picks on them.

Out of those four guys you listed:
Ryan Suter: 7th overall 2003
Dan Hamuis: 12th overall 2001
Shea Weber: 49th overall 2003
Kimmo Timonen: 250th overall 1993

Kimmo was originally drafted by LA actually and spent 4 years in Finland before coming over to play for Nashville so he was pretty polished by then.

I'm not saying the Flyers don't need to change their approach with developing defensemen because they definitely do but they're selling themselves short when they're not taking defensemen higher in the draft.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I read this as the 2nd overall pick in the draft . I like La Rose BUT dont know if I'd take him there .

I just say they take the BPA. Right now, I think they will finish with the 9th pick. Don't know why but I'm feeling it. Last two season I was on the "draft a defenseman" boat but THAT high in the draft, I say they take the BPA, whoever it is. If its Ristolainen, take him. If it's Zadarov, take him. Even if it's a center like Lindholm, take him.

The one player that if he's still there if we pick (say 5-10) that I have a feeling the Flyers would take based off of their history is Sean Monahan. Big strong two-way center? That's the type of players the Flyers seem to gear towards. (not that I would be complaining at all if we got him)

Old
04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
I would agree with you that they aren't the best at developing them but they also don't even try to spend high picks on them.

Out of those four guys you listed:
Ryan Suter: 7th overall 2003
Dan Hamuis: 12th overall 2001
Shea Weber: 49th overall 2003
Kimmo Timonen: 250th overall 1993

Kimmo was originally drafted by LA actually and spent 4 years in Finland before coming over to play for Nashville so he was pretty polished by then.

I'm not saying the Flyers don't need to change their approach with developing defensemen because they definitely do but they're selling themselves short when their not taking defensemen higher in the draft.
Oh I fully agree. I wanted them to take a d-man in the 1st round of the draft the past 2 years. I really wanted Hamilton in 2011. I understand why they picked Couturier in 2011 and as I understand it anyway, they wanted Siemens had Couturier not been there. My point was more about Nashville than it was about Philly anyway. Obviously the Flyers need to make more of an effort to draft and develop their own d-men so their defense won't be so expensive yet mediocre, even when healthy (minus Pronger). That being said, I'd still draft BPA if they have a top 10 pick.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Psuhockey

Where they are picking, the Flyers should choose BPA, and that will probably be a forward as Jones and Nurse seem to be the only highly ranked defensemen by everyone. Ristolainen seems like the next one down but Button had him at 20. The Flyers need a dynamic forward as much as they need to upgrade the defense. If they choose forward in the 1st round, I would be fine with it as long as they choose at least 4 defensemen after with Samuel Morin in the 2nd being one of them. If you look at Nashville's history of dmen picks above the best one came in the 2nd round, and was the 3rd defensemen they chose that year. You can get great defensemen in the 2nd round. The Flyers could too if they ever chose in that round.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Where they are picking, the Flyers should choose BPA, and that will probably be a forward as Jones and Nurse seem to be the only highly ranked defensemen by everyone. Ristolainen seems like the next one down but Button had him at 20. The Flyers need a dynamic forward as much as they need to upgrade the defense. If they choose forward in the 1st round, I would be fine with it as long as they choose at least 4 defensemen after with Samuel Morin in the 2nd being one of them. If you look at Nashville's history of dmen picks above the best one came in the 2nd round, and was the 3rd defensemen they chose that year. You can get great defensemen in the 2nd round. The Flyers could too if they ever chose in that round.
I believe Button is an outlier on Ristolainen. Most have him in the top 10, right behind Nurse, and a step above Zadorov, Pulock, Morrissey, etc.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:26 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That's not how it works dude.

First we win the draft lottery, then we pick Jones, then he makes it into the league and is the talk for the calder as a defenseman, then he starts the next season on a tear looking like a legit franchise defender, then I buy his jersey, then his legs fall off..literally just right off his body.

That's how it works. Fate is much too cruel and devious to allow the simple picking of a bust.
Hahahaha. This is definitely the post of the month for me.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I read this as the 2nd overall pick in the draft . I like La Rose BUT dont know if I'd take him there .

I just say they take the BPA. Right now, I think they will finish with the 9th pick. Don't know why but I'm feeling it. Last two season I was on the "draft a defenseman" boat but THAT high in the draft, I say they take the BPA, whoever it is. If its Ristolainen, take him. If it's Zadarov, take him. Even if it's a center like Lindholm, take him.

The one player that if he's still there if we pick (say 5-10) that I have a feeling the Flyers would take based off of their history is Sean Monahan. Big strong two-way center? That's the type of players the Flyers seem to gear towards. (not that I would be complaining at all if we got him)
I simply can't see them taking a center in this draft in the first round. I know Flyers are historically BPA and people don't like to draft for a need, but this team's system is empty in regards to defenseman prospects. I know everyone is high on Ghost, but he is still years away from even being considered a legitimate NHLer (and that is if he even makes it). They are likely to pick in the top ten. There are at least three or four guys that SHOULD be available in that range (Nurse, Risto, Zadarov, Pulock). Even if one of those guys isn't slated to be a #1 defenseman, the Flyers still need #2 or #3 defensemen of the future, because right now all they have is a hope that Ghost turns into a legit top 4 guy in a couple years. Meanwhile, they have 463 centers that should be able to make it to the NHL or are already there and young enough to be there for a while and succeed (Giroux, Laughton, Couturier, Schenn, Cousins). Adding another center to the mix seems like all it would do would mean they would trade someone. I guess that would be ok if they traded someone to get a better defenseman, but I don't know if there is anyone available to be that guy.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think you are underrating Monahan a bit. He was projected top 3 before the year and plays with nobody on one of the worst teams in the OHL. He doesn't have the YouTube highlights of the other forwards, but he is good. Toews is a comparison that is thrown around.
And Sean Couturier was preseason number 1 his draft year. Those rankings are meaningless now.

His team was bad this year, but he played on one of the best teams in the league last year in his age 17 season. He's a solid player no doubt but he's clearly outside the top 5 in my eyes.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:12 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
I guess you'd say he was Finnished developing over there.

I tried.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I believe Button is an outlier on Ristolainen. Most have him in the top 10, right behind Nurse, and a step above Zadorov, Pulock, Morrissey, etc.
The more that I hear about Ristolainen, the more I like him. Big, strong, fluid skater and good passer; needs to improve his shot. Some say that he is ready for the NHL next season. A concern that I have with Nurse is that he has a thick body and has been an early maturer meaning that with age, he may get bulkier and therefore possibly slower on the ice.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we're picking 7-9 and nurse is off the board, I wouldn't mind picking Anthony Mantha.

Closed Thread