HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Twitch Streamer fakes to be crippled for 9 months, stands live on stream

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
  #76
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,462
vCash: 500
That was quite a mistake on his part...

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
  #77
RussianRifle27
Registered User
 
RussianRifle27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Well that's just wrong on so many level on a hockey forum

Why would anyone pay to go watch hockey? just go outside and play yourself! NHL players should really go get a real freaking job

Streaming is popular, i'm a huge fan, some streamers ooze charisma and personality and it is a real job, a very successful one when done right

One of the streamer i've been following for more than a year saved money for a while, made a 2 years budget, quit his job as a chef and started a 2 years streaming challenge, he has to stream every single day for 2 years for a minimum of 2 hours but has been averaging 7 hours/day in 15 months so far, the guy started with no viewers and built his channel from the ground up, he now has between 3000 and 7000 viewers every night regardless of the game he plays, hes making money from ads viewed, subscribers to his channel and other partnership programs like Gamesfanshop and Amazon where people buy things using his referral link, the guy never asks for donations, it's just there if you want to help

So many other great things i've seen on stream, lately i've wanted to replay all the Metal Gear games but i don't have a Ps3 or a Vita, i've been watching a 7 days marathon of Metal Gear solid where 3 guys take turns to play all the games in so many different fashions, speedruns, story run where they listen to every calls etc, easter eggs runs and god knows there's a ton in Kojima's games

Early in January there was a Speedrunslive marathon where all the popular speed runners got together in Washington and streamed for charity, they raised 450k if i remember

Then there's casters like Day9, Tastosis, Tobiwan etc who's career are to stream themselves commentate e-sports games, i know some casters from League of Legends are so popular with the community they actually got hired by Riot as a full time job to cast their tournaments

Well that reply really went longer than expected, just think before you say stupid **** , not because a douchenozzle frauded people that every streamers should ''get a real job''
Lol. Wow.

RussianRifle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
  #78
Bengui
Registered User
 
Bengui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
That is some terrible logic there.
Why ? If he was boring, people would just close his stream and go do something else.

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
  #79
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
Why ? If he was boring, people would just close his stream and go do something else.
Are the Leafs the best team in the league?

Is a movie that brings in loads of cash better than a smaller budget film that wins awards and is more highly thought of by movie critics?

Was N'Sync the best band because they were super popular and sold however many records in a week?

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the best, which is what was said.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
  #80
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Are the Leafs the best team in the league?

Is a movie that brings in loads of cash better than a smaller budget film that wins awards and is more highly thought of by movie critics?

Was N'Sync the best band because they were super popular and sold however many records in a week?

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the best, which is what was said.
who decides whats best and what isn't?

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
  #81
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the best, which is what was said.
But just because something is popular, it does mean that it's in fact popular. Remember the argument was that X streamer doesn't deserve to make a living off of streaming because 'anyone could play video games'. If you're a popular streamer, clearly you're doing something right.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
  #82
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
who decides whats best and what isn't?
Conan.

I'm surprised this guy hasn't gotten more "blown up."

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:11 AM
  #83
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
But just because something is popular, it does mean that it's in fact popular. Remember the argument was that X streamer doesn't deserve to make a living off of streaming because 'anyone could play video games'. If you're a popular streamer, clearly you're doing something right.
That's not the point.

The implication was that he was the best, or that a popular streamer was the best because he/she is popular. At least that's what I'm arguing about. Comparing a streamer to an NHL player, I think is a terrible comparison.

Anyway, there are many examples where popularity does not have anything to do with being the best.

All I'm saying.

Quote:
who decides whats best and what isn't?
Generally experts on whatever it is. Of course it's subjective, but there is a point where people who are knowledgeable, more than the layman, have a better mind to judge what is the best, in their field. Sometimes it's obvious. Like the Leafs making the most money and being the most popular NHL franchise, when obviously, they are not the best(last team to make the playoffs since the first lock out, no playoff success in over a decade, no Cups since Christ was around, etc.).

Not sure why I had to explain that to you.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  #84
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Comparing a streamer to an NHL player is actually a pretty apt comparison, even if streamers are amateur and NHLers are professional. Their compensation is entirely dependent on whether or not they bring spectators. NHL teams that win more tend to get more revenue, therefore they hire players that make them more likely to win. Being better at hockey generally corresponds with more popularity, more revenue, etc. Esports, while winning is certainly the point of the competition, personalities tend to attract more spectators, at least at this point. Sid Crosby creates more spectator revenue by being skilled than Sean Avery does being entertaining; if it was the opposite, the opposite would be true. If more people were tuning in to watch Avery's antics than Crosby's skill, Avery would make more money. But that's not how it is in pro hockey, at least not league hockey. Exhibition games would follow that, though. I'd rather watch a old, out of shape former star than a comparatively better no name player.

Like Jwong is probably better than Combofiend at MvC... But let's say people are more likely to pay to watch Combofiend play than Jwong. Now you're running a tournament and you're going to pay to get some star streamers to show up... Do you pay Jwong more because he's better at the game, or do you pay Combofiend more because he's going to attract a larger paying audience? That said, a good deal of esports follows the same ideas as physical sports, people do generally want to see the very best going against the very best.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
  #85
Penguins23
Le Magnifique
 
Penguins23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton,NewBrunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,759
vCash: 500
It's the way she goes bud.


__________________
.
Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.