Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Oshawa Generals 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

vCash: 500
Ya one thing that bugs me at the BMC is they either never show the replay or they show it once and the angle sucks.

Visiting fans usually sit around section 118 but there were definately Gens fans spread through out the arena. Enjoy the game.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Nerf27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Ya one thing that bugs me at the BMC is they either never show the replay or they show it once and the angle sucks.

Visiting fans usually sit around section 118 but there were definately Gens fans spread through out the arena. Enjoy the game.
Thanks I like to sit around centre and usually stay away from the group of fans lol. I think this series can go the distance just hope for good hockey. Thanks again. I'd wish you good luck but I'd be lying lol.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:50 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Barrie definately woke up last night. I hope the refs do the same as they were horrible both games (both ways) Laughton will be suspended for that brutal hit on Hall I would imagine. I really like his game but he has to learn how to play ON the edge and not over it.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Any word on Laughton yet?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
MisterDB

OntarioHockeyLeague‏@OHLHockey
#OHL Disciplinary Action: Scott Laughton (OSH) suspended 5 games for check-from-behind resulting in injury to Zach Hall in Game 2 vs. BAR

Old
04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Thanks. That's what I figured he'd get.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Thanks. That's what I figured he'd get.
It didn't look he was trying to drill him into the boards and I'm not making any excuses for Laughton either. The O'Connor hit was a definite hit to the lower jaw and you could see the arm being driven in an upward manner to the head area. 10 games deserved for that for sure and 5 games for Laughton pretty accurate too, especially as a repeat offender.

As for the people that say that players should learn to prepare for guys coming at them from behind, I agree 100% BUT if the majority of the league's players can play without drilling people to the head OR from behind then these select players that are getting suspended need to learn to play the same way. My rule is if someone is even partially facing the boards you DO NOT finish that hit. Pin the guy, whack their stick, etc. Trying to force that extra hit is where these perpetrators are getting it wrong.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Tonester01

Never understood Oshawa's trade deadline deals other than to try to goon it up which doesn't work in playoff hockey. They added McGuire and Dundas who combined for 1 playoff point in a combined 18 games. Barrie added Theoreot who has 11 points in 7 games and Belleville added Graovac and Quine who have combined for 23 points in a combined 18 games. Was it Smith who wanted these players to play his version of goon hockey or was it Twohey. What a shame with a team with great talents such as Jenner, Laughton, Biggs,etc. Why did Twohey reward Smith with a 3 year contract in the playoffs and not wait until he saw how the team faired in the playoffs? Will be a tough year in the Shwa next year.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
It didn't look he was trying to drill him into the boards and I'm not making any excuses for Laughton either. The O'Connor hit was a definite hit to the lower jaw and you could see the arm being driven in an upward manner to the head area. 10 games deserved for that for sure and 5 games for Laughton pretty accurate too, especially as a repeat offender.

As for the people that say that players should learn to prepare for guys coming at them from behind, I agree 100% BUT if the majority of the league's players can play without drilling people to the head OR from behind then these select players that are getting suspended need to learn to play the same way. My rule is if someone is even partially facing the boards you DO NOT finish that hit. Pin the guy, whack their stick, etc. Trying to force that extra hit is where these perpetrators are getting it wrong.
To bad about Scott. He was playing well for your club.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester01 View Post
Never understood Oshawa's trade deadline deals other than to try to goon it up which doesn't work in playoff hockey. They added McGuire and Dundas who combined for 1 playoff point in a combined 18 games. Barrie added Theoreot who has 11 points in 7 games and Belleville added Graovac and Quine who have combined for 23 points in a combined 18 games. Was it Smith who wanted these players to play his version of goon hockey or was it Twohey. What a shame with a team with great talents such as Jenner, Laughton, Biggs,etc. Why did Twohey reward Smith with a 3 year contract in the playoffs and not wait until he saw how the team faired in the playoffs? Will be a tough year in the Shwa next year.
Maybe it was the Price. Barrie had to give up Perlini for Theoret. Perlini has a big future in Niagara. Teams were probably all asking Oshawa about Dal Colle. Good thing they didn't trade him

Old
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
seen em all

Quote:
A team with such great talents as Jenner, Laughton, Sabourin, not Biggs no not Biggs at all sorry, 1 measly point in the playoffs, and Biggs had 7 empty net goals during the regular season, so in reality he scored 19 goals, thanks to Boone, and Dal Colle. Thanx for letting me vent my frustration.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Bockwinkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
A team with such great talents as Jenner, Laughton, Sabourin, not Biggs no not Biggs at all sorry, 1 measly point in the playoffs, and Biggs had 7 empty net goals during the regular season, so in reality he scored 19 goals, thanks to Boone, and Dal Colle. Thanx for letting me vent my frustration.
seen em all, you seem like a knowledgeable individual with regard to goings on in the SHWA...what were your impressions of the Gens d and goaltending in the playoffs ?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
If the Generals have made you angry for the 3-4 years that Ive seen you posting on here, why are you cheering for them....

Old
04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Nerf27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockwinkel View Post
seen em all, you seem like a knowledgeable individual with regard to goings on in the SHWA...what were your impressions of the Gens d and goaltending in the playoffs ?
I am not him but a season ticket holder. Gens team defence in the playoffs was horrible. Petgrave must have been hurt as he was worse than usual. Too many bad decisions too many individuals. This was not the team we watched all year. They had no compete and Barrie cudos to them played to win. Goaltending was good. Funny thing was that was the biggest worry going into it but I thought Altshuller played well made some key saves his team let him down huge.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf27 View Post
I am not him but a season ticket holder. Gens team defence in the playoffs was horrible. Petgrave must have been hurt as he was worse than usual. Too many bad decisions too many individuals. This was not the team we watched all year. They had no compete and Barrie cudos to them played to win. Goaltending was good. Funny thing was that was the biggest worry going into it but I thought Altshuller played well made some key saves his team let him down huge.
Where do you think the "hunger" went? I for one was shocked not that a good team like Barrie beat Oshawa, but that they were swept!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Where do you think the "hunger" went? I for one was shocked not that a good team like Barrie beat Oshawa, but that they were swept!
I agree.

I think it really hurt Oshawa to lose that first game. As a Colts fan who was at the game, Barrie had no right winning it. I think the Gens outplayed them for 50 minutes. When Barrie won it in OT I think it was a huge letdown for the Shwa.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Have to agree with you on Biggs. A 19 year old player drafted first round in the nhl; his compete level is very disappointing and his playoff performance was even worse. He should be dominating! A 16 yr old Lemieux gets under his skin and gets him off his game?? He will start in the Ahl but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the send him back to find his game. I hope he can turn things around for himself personally.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Have to agree with you on Biggs. A 19 year old player drafted first round in the nhl; his compete level is very disappointing and his playoff performance was even worse. He should be dominating! A 16 yr old Lemieux gets under his skin and gets him off his game?? He will start in the Ahl but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the send him back to find his game. I hope he can turn things around for himself personally.
I think you have to look at the entire body of work to evaluate the player. Although I did not watch the series it seems to me it is pretty incomprehensible to pin the entire playoff collapse on Biggs only? This team boasted quite a few top players like Laughton, Lessio, Jenner, etc. How were they?

Did Biggs improve from the beginning of the year to end? Based on comments I have seen from the Leafs Director of Player Development, they were happy with his progress this season.

Biggs won't be the first or last top prospect to ***** the bed in the playoffs....it happens.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Tonester01

Powerplay was 1 for 40 or 2.5% in playoffs. Team still tied for most PIMs in playoffs.
I think coaching and coaching philosophy can take some blame for abysmal performance against Barrie. Intimidation doesn't work against experienced OHL teams like Barrie as the era of Broad St. Bullies is long gone. Check the coaches career statistics and you can see his philosophy. Maybe he shouldn't scream the whole game from the bench and let the players play. Bottom line coaching has to take a lot of blame with such a stacked team playing poorly.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:04 PM
sniper81

Quote:
It won't be a tough year next year, I think they will fight for 5 or 6 in the east. Jeff and his scouts have drafted extremly well and will see atleast 3 or 4 guys from his 2012 draft making impacts (manchurek, mcdade, wallace) His first two picks this year should make an impact, harding is small but extremely skilled and vande sompel was in the same academy as Crouse and Konecny.

I do agree with the playoff trades though, Dundas and Mcguire were useless pickups. I would have waited until after the season ends to announce DJ's extension.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
It won't be a tough year next year, I think they will fight for 5 or 6 in the east. Jeff and his scouts have drafted extremly well and will see atleast 3 or 4 guys from his 2012 draft making impacts (manchurek, mcdade, wallace) His first two picks this year should make an impact, harding is small but extremely skilled and vande sompel was in the same academy as Crouse and Konecny.

I do agree with the playoff trades though, Dundas and Mcguire were useless pickups. I would have waited until after the season ends to announce DJ's extension.
Has Desrocher signed with Oshawa?

Old
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Has Desrocher signed with Oshawa?
Haven't really heard any news on him, his twitter account has "Oshawa Generals draft pick" on it so heres to hoping.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Powerplay was 1 for 40 or 2.5% in playoffs. Team still tied for most PIMs in playoffs.
I think coaching and coaching philosophy can take some blame for abysmal performance against Barrie. Intimidation doesn't work against experienced OHL teams like Barrie as the era of Broad St. Bullies is long gone. Check the coaches career statistics and you can see his philosophy. Maybe he shouldn't scream the whole game from the bench and let the players play. Bottom line coaching has to take a lot of blame with such a stacked team playing poorly.
That comment about "intimidation doesnt work" we in Windsor will take as a compliment.Since DJ was a Spitfire we like tough aggressive hockey down here in the motorcity.DJ was the reason for our success down here recently and we would take him back in a heartbeat.Its too bad he got the extension from Tullio.

But your right the league has changed from the good tough hockey of the past, you can call it intimidation if you want, its mostly old fashioned hockey.There was no room for wimps.I think now Branch has reduced the league to Euro shinny/road hockey where next year they can hand out the ballerina outfits.And the officials will be reduced (and its already happening) like in the WWE where they already know the victor.

What I dont get is why players like Biggs and the rest seem to lose their fire so easy after being drafted esp. for the playoffs.Wouldnt you want to win it all cause you might not even get in the big dance and second never win the Stanley Cup.You would think they would want to empty the tank.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Tonester01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
That comment about "intimidation doesnt work" we in Windsor will take as a compliment.Since DJ was a Spitfire we like tough aggressive hockey down here in the motorcity.DJ was the reason for our success down here recently and we would take him back in a heartbeat.Its too bad he got the extension from Tullio.

But your right the league has changed from the good tough hockey of the past, you can call it intimidation if you want, its mostly old fashioned hockey.There was no room for wimps.I think now Branch has reduced the league to Euro shinny/road hockey where next year they can hand out the ballerina outfits.And the officials will be reduced (and its already happening) like in the WWE where they already know the victor.

What I dont get is why players like Biggs and the rest seem to lose their fire so easy after being drafted esp. for the playoffs.Wouldnt you want to win it all cause you might not even get in the big dance and second never win the Stanley Cup.You would think they would want to empty the tank.
I didn't say I didn't like tough hockey however my point is intimidation doesn't work against experienced OHL teams. The issue is poor power play results.
By the way, how many series did the Spits win when DJ played with them.
One.
I enjoyed watching the Spits win 2 cups but their success was led by Hall and Ellis and some very good hockey players.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
hockeyguru7

No word on this past weekends mini camp, any stand outs, hopefuls or bad picks?

Closed Thread