HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Coyle scored on a really nice backhander if my memory serves correctly. His game has obviously had more of an impact than the statistics show.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Coyle scored on a really nice backhander if my memory serves correctly. His game has obviously had more of an impact than the statistics show.
Yea. I looked through the replays again. That was nice. 1/5. You had better be a selke finalist if you're putting up those numbers on a dynamic first line.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
LordFletcher

some of you are just flat out ridonk in critiquing rookies / prospects... expectations and everything as a whole...

Just let it play out for a year or two .... or 5

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Kind of agreed. I love that we have Pomer. I think he'll be re-signed and be a huge player for us.

But kind of rather lose Granlund than Larsson at this point. Larsson is going to be that work-horse 2nd line center that Cup teams desperately want.

Totally ok with Hacket going; we still have two awesome goalie prospects.

The 1st and 2nd hurt, but that 2nd was totally thrown in because the Sabres took back part of Pomer's Cap hit. The deal was 1st + Larsson + Hackett, but the numbers didn't work, so we had to add a 2nd for cap space + a 4th coming back.
I can't find a 'clean' version of the "You're ****in' high!" clip from Step Brothers. Hopefully you've seen it and know the reference.

Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely painful losing Larsson. But, you're just not paying attention. Granlund is going to be outstanding. Eventually.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Haha, and I see why you're not one either. Coyle has proven nothing. In fact the only thing he's proving is mediocrity considering the golden playing opportunity handed to him. Larsson outperformed him offensively in Houston. It wouldn't be hard to outperform Coyle in the NHL. And Larsson is a center that can play a physical, 2-way game. Coyle is too slow to play center or be more than a NHL 2-line winger. Larsson was desperately needed in this organization considering the age and mediocrity of the NHL centers.

You know how bad Coyle has been offensively this year? Statistically Torrey Mitchell and Cal Clutterbuck are as good offensively as Coyle, and that's with them playing on the grind line versus the first line.

He's too slow right now to be an effective center. He doesn't even play the game like a center. He's a perimeter player.

Coyle is slower than Larsson?? Have you ever even seen Larsson skate? His stride=problems? Don't mind you the fact Coyle is 6'2 210 and Larsson is 5'11 195.

Coyle a perimeter player?? You have clearly not watched a single game?? His best strength is his wall play which already at 21 might be the best on the team that features the likes of Parise and Koivu who are wall play gods in this league.

Larssons upside in this league is a 2nd/3rd line center man. While Coyle's is a top line Power Forward.

Lets look at the AHL stats:
Larsson 62GP 15 goals 22 assists 37 points
Coyle 47 GP 14 goals 11assists 25 points

So Coyle has a goal less in 15 games less. Mind you Coyle played the entire 47 games in a star studded AHL at the time while Larsson has racked up a huge chunk of his points since the lockout lifted in an AHL that actually looks like the normal AHL.

Also Coyle has 6 goals in his first 27 NHL games..this isn't a season vet..comparing him to vets is unfair because every rookie struggles to put up points to start their career...leaving him on pace for 18..remind me how many Koivu had in his rookie season??

The answer was 6..but that was in 64 games..How about Marian Gaborik...well he had 18. The pace Coyle is on.

Just because he isn't a 30 goal scorer right this second doesn't mean that he won't be in the next few years. Coyle already belongs in the NHL..Larsson doesn't and is a Wild Card. Coyle is a proven sure thing. AND his potential and ceiling is way higher.

In what world would you have traded Coyle before Larsson? Wonderland?

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

I still don't understand this trade one bit. We made a trade that you typically make when your window is closing. A let's-try-this-one-more-time sort of trade after being bounced a couple times from the playoffs in the previous years.

Suddenly, we are no sure fire bet to even make the playoffs let alone make any serious run. In order for that to happen we should have shored up the D. Make this trade in two or three years after falling short with our prospects and it's a good trade. But a horrible trade to give up so much without first trying to win with what you have.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
I still don't understand this trade one bit. We made a trade that you typically make when your window is closing. A let's-try-this-one-more-time sort of trade after being bounced a couple times from the playoffs in the previous years.

Suddenly, we are no sure fire bet to even make the playoffs let alone make any serious run. In order for that to happen we should have shored up the D. Make this trade in two or three years after falling short with our prospects and it's a good trade. But a horrible trade to give up so much without first trying to win with what you have.
I'm starting to agree with this.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Coyle a perimeter player?? You have clearly not watched a single game?? His best strength is his wall play which already at 21 might be the best on the team that features the likes of Parise and Koivu who are wall play gods in this league.
The boards are on the perimeter of the ice....

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:06 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Call me crazy, but I think he's a perfect fit for that top line. It was one thing to watch that line for the two road games, but I was impressed watching them in person. Give him some time to adjust. No offense to Coyle, but this is a definite upgrade. When he gets comfortable, watch out.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post

Agreed.

When you make a trade on deadline day, you are paying the highest prices of the year for an asset. You only do that when you are desperate for an upgrade for that year.

We could easily have traded for Pominville this summer, and probably for a lot cheaper. It seems like Fletcher got desperate and made this move more out of panic than long-term thinking.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching the team they were in a downward spiral and the problem wasn't at right wing but at center and defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Call me crazy, but I think he's a perfect fit for that top line. It was one thing to watch that line for the two road games, but I was impressed watching them in person. Give him some time to adjust. No offense to Coyle, but this is a definite upgrade. When he gets comfortable, watch out.
Is it really an upgrade though? Coyle's only going to get better, Pominville likely has hit his peak and will only decline.

Here's the thing, Pominville looks lost. He's turning the puck over like crazy. His offensive zone play is starting to get better, but in the D zone he's not doing anything for the breakouts and the only time I've seen him carry the puck through the neutral zone was a turnover that led to a goal.

If we're lucky and still make the playoffs, maybe he makes the adjustments in time. But that's a big if.

Again, smacks of desperation. Added a player not in a primary position of need, gave up two big assets in the process, and not necessarily something that helps the team short-term.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
This forum has taught me one thing. Some people just can't be pleased.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
This forum has taught me one thing. Some people just can't be pleased.
True dat. Also, it's amazing how the mood of this forum changes with each win and loss.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Agreed.

When you make a trade on deadline day, you are paying the highest prices of the year for an asset. You only do that when you are desperate for an upgrade for that year.

We could easily have traded for Pominville this summer, and probably for a lot cheaper. It seems like Fletcher got desperate and made this move more out of panic than long-term thinking.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching the team they were in a downward spiral and the problem wasn't at right wing but at center and defense.

Is it really an upgrade though? Coyle's only going to get better, Pominville likely has hit his peak and will only decline.

Here's the thing, Pominville looks lost. He's turning the puck over like crazy. His offensive zone play is starting to get better, but in the D zone he's not doing anything for the breakouts and the only time I've seen him carry the puck through the neutral zone was a turnover that led to a goal.

If we're lucky and still make the playoffs, maybe he makes the adjustments in time. But that's a big if.

Again, smacks of desperation. Added a player not in a primary position of need, gave up two big assets in the process, and not necessarily something that helps the team short-term.
How come when I say this stuff I get yelled at but you don't? It's the blue tag isn't it?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
How come when I say this stuff I get yelled at but you don't? It's the blue tag isn't it?
Don't worry, TSK...I disagree with Jarick also. Just don't want to repeat myself.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Probably

You and I and maybe three other people didn't like the trade...we're in the minority.

I like Pominville but not as much as I like what the Wild gave up.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Probably

You and I and maybe three other people didn't like the trade...we're in the minority.

I like Pominville but not as much as I like what the Wild gave up.
Oh well. I'll be as divisive as always. I think though you hit the nail on the head though. It's not that Pom wasn't a good player to trade for, it's that it wasn't a primary need.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I think Buffalo won the trade and I was really upset with GMCF when the picks were thrown in, but there's nothing we can do about it now. I've just tried to focus on the positives and enjoy what we have with Pominville.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
I can't find a 'clean' version of the "You're ****in' high!" clip from Step Brothers. Hopefully you've seen it and know the reference.

Don't get me wrong. It's absolutely painful losing Larsson. But, you're just not paying attention. Granlund is going to be outstanding. Eventually.
Eh. Granlund's ceiling is younger Saku Koivu. Larsson is Mike Richards. A disappoint Granlund would be Bouchard with less spins. Larsson would be a smaller Brodziak.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Eh. Granlund's ceiling is younger Saku Koivu. Larsson is Mike Richards. A disappoint Granlund would be Bouchard with less spins. Larsson would be a smaller Brodziak.
Uh don't get carried away. I don't think Larsson will be a Richard's even if he hits his ceiling.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
I'd say that MG has more hockey IQ than either Koivu or Bouchard ever had.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I think Buffalo won the trade and I was really upset with GMCF when the picks were thrown in, but there's nothing we can do about it now. I've just tried to focus on the positives and enjoy what we have with Pominville.
Thats how I feel, sure we gave up too much for a move that didn't really make sense. Maybe someday we will all agree it was a bad move. But whatever, what can we do about it. We better learn to like him and hope he plays as advertised or we will just be in a worse mood when his signs with another team two summers from now.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Considering that Larsson played all of one game for the Wild, 62 games in Houston, and some summer scrimmages at the X, I'm really wondering how some Wild fans have set the ceiling for him as high as they are. IMO, the hype around Larsson has created and sustained an energy all of it's own and has risen to mythic proportions.

Mike Richards? Really? Based on what?

I'm not saying that he won't be a good player, but come on.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Considering that Larsson played all of one game for the Wild, 62 games in Houston, and some summer scrimmages at the X, I'm really wondering how some Wild fans have set the ceiling for him as high as they are. I
I look at his overseas resume. Captain the WJC to Gold, won a championship. Won Rookie of the Year. That's a pretty damn impressive resume for such a young kid. He's really underrated. Larsson has only played 1 game but that's because we had such ridiculous depth at center.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

God I hope larsson doesn't become the next leddy, in terms of people never Being able to drop it. Not saying we shouldn't talk about it now, but I'm saying in a few years if this is still going on, ugh.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You could say the exact same thing about Dumba or pretty much any other recently drafted prospect. Nobody knows for sure. Drafting isn't an exact science.