HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Stepan Version 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 06:18 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think Stepan's shot is now above average.
Above average, I agree. Still not outstanding, that was my point.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
dethomas07

vCash: 500
his shot has always been good.. every goal he has for the most part are snipes top titty.. guy's IQ like most of you been saying is off the charts.. he eats sleeps and dreams hockey its amazing.. thats why stats dont amazes me.. its all the other little things he does that i love.. glad we have him...

Old
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Thinking about Stepan's second contract, this article about Nazim Kadri has lots of good data about the similar situation the Rangers are facing in contract negotiations.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...ugh-for-leafs/

Stepan is far too valuable to leave vulnerable for an offer sheet.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Step playing well. I like it. He still is learning. He will be for a little more IMO. With some vet leadership in Callahan, dare I say Richards and Nash, and some great teammates in Hagelin and co. ... He's important.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

I've found my way here to eat the crow!

5-7 games in Stepan was sucking ass, come now be serious, we've all seen it.

Anyhow, he has elevated his game and the teams game with him. He's our of our top guys. Just imagine what his stats would be if starts a full season in this "modus" I want to call it.

Is his play at the moment a fluctuation, or has he reached a plateau, on which he'll stand for a very long time to come?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Dreger was saying this morning how the starting point on Bozaks contract would be around 5 M??

Are we looking at the same for Stepan?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
I've found my way here to eat the crow!

5-7 games in Stepan was sucking ass, come now be serious, we've all seen it.

Anyhow, he has elevated his game and the teams game with him. He's our of our top guys. Just imagine what his stats would be if starts a full season in this "modus" I want to call it.

Is his play at the moment a fluctuation, or has he reached a plateau, on which he'll stand for a very long time to come?
Ovechkin was -3 and had 3 points his first 8 games.

This shortened season with no training camp was not taken into account by most of the guys calling him out early on. I agree he needed to pick it up but so did half the league with some of the odd starts good players had this year.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ovechkin was -3 and had 3 points his first 8 games.

This shortened season with no training camp was not taken into account by most of the guys calling him out early on. I agree he needed to pick it up but so did half the league with some of the odd starts good players had this year.
Richards is yet another one. He has seemed to re-find his game only recently.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Took way to long, and then when he found it what was the cause, himself or the new players added? Seems like Zucc and Clowe have been the catalyst to get him going.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Took way to long, and then when he found it what was the cause, himself or the new players added? Seems like Zucc and Clowe have been the catalyst to get him going.
Very possible. Could have also had to do with Gaborik leaving.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Man, for the past two seasons I've been quietly thinking to myself that this kid was probably the most overrated player on the team, at least by the boards standards. This coming from someone who was pretty high on him after the WJC.

I'm glad to say Stepan has fed me platefuls of crow this season. Loving his game right now. He's playing like a great 2c and serviceable 1c, right about where he was projected. That's great news going forward.
Me too!

Old
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Very possible. Could have also had to do with Gaborik leaving.
When I think of Brad Richards this year I think of Torts. Instead of working with what he has, he kinda looks at management and says 'you need to get me something better than this'. And not like that's a new idea, Renney was saying similar things to management while he was here.

Well, now you got the reinforcements, make it work.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Dreger was saying this morning how the starting point on Bozaks contract would be around 5 M??

Are we looking at the same for Stepan?
I assume you mean Kadri. Bozak is in no way, shape or form comparable to Stepan.

Everyone thought MDZ would get 4 mil. Everyone thought Subban would get 5 mil. Non-arbitration eligible players have no leverage other than signing an offer sheet, which is what O'Reilly eventually did, but he held out a long time before he signed one.

No idea if the offer was on the table before that and he waited to sign it, or if calgary waited to give him the offer. But either way it's not a common situation. And both colorado and calgary screwed up there, as neither apparently knew that O'Reilly would have to clear waivers to play for calgary (because he played in Europe after the NHL season began). If that had been public knowledge, the offer sheet never happens and O'Reilly would probably have signed much sooner and for less money.

How much Stepan gets per year will depend entirely on how many years he gets. Arbitration years cost more than non-arbitration years. UFA years cost more than arbitration years. Sather has limited cap space to work with and other players to sign. He'll try to sign Stepan to a 2 year deal, in the range of 2.75 mil per year.

Of course, if Sather decides not to re-sign Clowe, or decides to buy out Richards this summer, then he'll have the cap space to give Stepan a longer term deal. Both Hagelin and McD are arbitration eligible, so Sather's going to have a harder time keeping their cap hits down. Clowe wants to get paid as a UFA. There's only so much cap space.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Man, for the past two seasons I've been quietly thinking to myself that this kid was probably the most overrated player on the team, at least by the boards standards. This coming from someone who was pretty high on him after the WJC.

I'm glad to say Stepan has fed me platefuls of crow this season. Loving his game right now. He's playing like a great 2c and serviceable 1c, right about where he was projected. That's great news going forward.
I think he's playing like a great 1C at this point, to be honest. He's been producing at over a point per game rate, and at over a .5 GPG rate for 20+ games, and he plays in every situation. He shows up every night.

He's just such a balanced player.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I think he's playing like a great 1C at this point, to be honest. He's been producing at over a point per game rate, and at over a .5 GPG rate for 20+ games, and he plays in every situation. He shows up every night.

He's just such a balanced player.
He's been playing like a 1C for the last month+ definitely.

Still, though, it is a short season. We'll see how he does next year.

edit- Also, if we're talking blossoming young centers in this short season, I don't see how anybody can take Kadri over Stepan. I know TOR has been hurting for a franchise player forever but Stepan does so much more than Kadri everywhere else that the lack of publicity he's gotten this year is really, really dumb.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
So this how Richards plays after he has "re-found" his game? Man how the mighty have fallen. He's deteriorating faster then Drury ever was if this is the case.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's been playing like a 1C for the last month+ definitely.

Still, though, it is a short season. We'll see how he does next year.

edit- Also, if we're talking blossoming young centers in this short season, I don't see how anybody can take Kadri over Stepan. I know TOR has been hurting for a franchise player forever but Stepan does so much more than Kadri everywhere else that the lack of publicity he's gotten this year is really, really dumb.
Kadri has gotten so much press because Don Cherry has been pumping his tires like crazy and kissed him on air.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
So this how Richards plays after he has "re-found" his game? Man how the mighty have fallen. He's deteriorating faster then Drury ever was if this is the case.
Has Richards not looked better the past couple of weeks? Yes. If you think Richards play has deteriorated to the extent of Drury you should go back and watch those games again.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
5 points in his last 5 games.

Your Drury comparison is simply wrong.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Stepanformayor*

Stepan is a number one center wheather we like it or not! The numbers don't lie! There is no way there going to get him for 2.5-2.75 per year. If they want to sign Stepan it will take a lot more money than that. If you don't think his agents are licking there chops right now your nuts. The Rangrs want him to stay, the fans want him to stay, he is exactly what this organization needs. He will get paid what he is worth and its not 2 year 2.5 a year!!

Old
04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Just a couple of months ago it was McDonagh getting $4M+ a year and Stepan getting $2.5M. Sure seems like thats flipped.

That said Stepan still doesnt have a ton of leverage. I doubt anyone floats an offer sheet his way.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Just a couple of months ago it was McDonagh getting $4M+ a year and Stepan getting $2.5M. Sure seems like thats flipped.

That said Stepan still doesnt have a ton of leverage. I doubt anyone floats an offer sheet his way.
ROR got one.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
ROR got one.
After how long though?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
ROR got one.
After holding out for a long time. And it wouldn't have happened if calgary knew that ROR would have to clear waivers. If colorado had known it, they could have informed ROR's agent and settled the contract much quicker and cheaper.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:15 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Do you guys calculate this with an equation? Or is there some sort of shortened season calculator?
If you are ever curious about projected numbers, just divide the points he's accumulated this season by games played, and then multiple that by 82.

Closed Thread