HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
  #101
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,606
vCash: 500
Didn't mean to sound defensive, just sick that so many are willing to turn on the dude after he's been arguably our second best d-man this season because of one bad game. Wasn't trying to call you out, but since I figured you'd be one of the more rational negative posts I figured I'd springboard off of your argument . I absolutely expected posts full of overreactions like the one a couple of posts above due to one really bad game when he's been really good most of the time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
  #102
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Didn't mean to sound defensive, just sick that so many are willing to turn on the dude after he's been arguably our second best d-man this season because of one bad game. Wasn't trying to call you out, but since I figured you'd be one of the more rational negative posts I figured I'd springboard off of your argument . I absolutely expected posts full of overreactions like the one a couple of posts above due to one really bad game when he's been really good most of the time.
I have very little to complain about regarding Del Zotto.

I do question his mental toughness when he gets off to a rough start in a game, which is very rare these days. The poor play has a tendency to snowball as the game goes on. Im sure he'll rectify it as he ages. It was a problem last night, and it was a problem in the Devils series. Im usually defending Torts, but I think its ridiculous he played MDZ 25 mins last night.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
  #103
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I have very little to complain about regarding Del Zotto.

I do question his mental toughness when he gets off to a rough start in a game, which is very rare these days. The poor play has a tendency to snowball as the game goes on. Im sure he'll rectify it as he ages. It was a problem last night, and it was a problem in the Devils series. Im usually defending Torts, but I think its ridiculous he played MDZ 25 mins last night.
Stralman and McDonagh did not look much better. I think that was the other issue.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
  #104
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
He had a brutal game, it happens. Still 22 years old.
Exactly!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 11:10 AM
  #105
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
I think part of the problem is that Torts played Moore and Eminger less than 10 minutes on Saturday, and about the same amount on Friday. The top 4 just looked mentally tired last night. Hopefully getting back into their own beds will help them for tomorrow.

Also, Girardi and Del Zotto have rarely played well together, they both have a tendency to wander and run around.

Pugs35 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 11:21 AM
  #106
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
The goals against last night were not all on one player, but what I see rewatching the game right now is how awful the tandems worked together. Girardi and Del Z both overcompensate on the first goal, though that one is all on the forwards and their awful line change.

Second goal puck goes up ice Del Z fumbles it in the neutral zone but why were the forwards so late in getting back? Boyle and Brassard were gassed.

Third goal was a PP goal where Boyle, Stepan and Girardi hesitated all at once, no one took away the time and space from the Leafs most dangerous scorer. Again Boyle.

4th goal we got in trouble deep in our zone, puck comes up the boards and 4 Rangers crowd that whole side leaving the middle of the ice for Girardi, who has to leave the crease attempting to break up the pass down low.

These breakdowns had to do with more than one or two players. But Boyle, seeing as much ice has to be better, or they need to take him off the 3rd line. It's just not working.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 12:17 PM
  #107
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The goals against last night were not all on one player, but what I see rewatching the game right now is how awful the tandems worked together. Girardi and Del Z both overcompensate on the first goal, though that one is all on the forwards and their awful line change.

Second goal puck goes up ice Del Z fumbles it in the neutral zone but why were the forwards so late in getting back? Boyle and Brassard were gassed.

Third goal was a PP goal where Boyle, Stepan and Girardi hesitated all at once, no one took away the time and space from the Leafs most dangerous scorer. Again Boyle.

4th goal we got in trouble deep in our zone, puck comes up the boards and 4 Rangers crowd that whole side leaving the middle of the ice for Girardi, who has to leave the crease attempting to break up the pass down low.

These breakdowns had to do with more than one or two players. But Boyle, seeing as much ice has to be better, or they need to take him off the 3rd line. It's just not working.
1- the entire issue last night was poor shift changes.. our players we're on the ice WAYY to long and should of changed waayyy sooooonerrr!!

2- girardi did the right thing coming up to kessel thats his guy, and he didn't take enough time and space away.. it wasn't boyles guy bc he has to watch the passes to the point.. Also noone in there right mind should expect a goal on hank from where kessel was at the boards hashmarks..

3- your absolutely right.. if you watch highlights of kessels 2nd goal (game winner).. richards, etc.. went off for a line change.. we we're brutal all night with bad changes and staying on the ice way to long.. terrible game management on the players.. hard quick shifts.. we we're lazy and thats what cost us..

girardi and dz we're bad positioning (both went to the same guy on numerous ocasions) however its wild bc in the NHL you see both d man go into corners the same time etc.. usually i was taught one d watch the front/backdoor but not just the rangers but in the pros both d watch the play to much.. its always something that amazes me!!

we move on it wasn't a terrrible game, we fought back!! on to weds big game!!!

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
  #108
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Yeah, I've been watching hockey a long time, this teams line changes could rank up there with the worst NYR teams I've seen. Renney's teams had some problems but that just seemed like a bad streak, so did the teams in the 80's at times. But this team doesn't seem to be getting any better over the full, but shortened, season.

And come on, you can't give Kessel that room. Boyle was just standing still, Stepan came over to Boyles side trying to cover the point, we had 3 guys basically covering the pass but not the shot. Kessel is up there with the greatest shots in today's game.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
  #109
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Didn't mean to sound defensive, just sick that so many are willing to turn on the dude after he's been arguably our second best d-man this season because of one bad game. Wasn't trying to call you out, but since I figured you'd be one of the more rational negative posts I figured I'd springboard off of your argument . I absolutely expected posts full of overreactions like the one a couple of posts above due to one really bad game when he's been really good most of the time.
I don't know, we should probably definitely trade MDZ because of one bad game, makes sense to me!

Affinity is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
  #110
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Let's be logical here. Professional athletes are never allowed to have bad games. 1 Bad game and it's time to retire. Trade Del Zotto for a bag of pucks and a hockey stick. At this rate, he couldn't even bring back Hank a new mask in return. All because of 1 bad game.

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
  #111
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I don't know, we should probably definitely trade MDZ because of one bad game, makes sense to me!
Pleased to meet you, Mr. Strawman.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
  #112
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
Let's be logical here. Professional athletes are never allowed to have bad games. 1 Bad game and it's time to retire. Trade Del Zotto for a bag of pucks and a hockey stick. At this rate, he couldn't even bring back Hank a new mask in return. All because of 1 bad game.
I think Del Zotto for a collection of sticks that don't break so easily would be a phenomenal trade

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
  #113
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Yes, let's pick on our most consistent defender this yr. lol.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:36 PM
  #114
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
I don't know why he is so easy to pick on. I think he's having a better season than McD and Stralman etc. He's certainly better than Girardi.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:45 PM
  #115
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
only thing i like about loosing, is coming on this board to see all the ludicrous comments by people ripping players apart for having a bad game.

really love how one bad game, coming on the third game in 4 nights none the less, can erase an entire season of steady play for a guy.

some people around here are out of their minds

SwedishBullet62 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM
  #116
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
I don't get the need to assign blame to an individual player or players, or even the team for that matter, for every goal against. A lot of times the blame goes to the other team...for playing well.

Yes, DZ got caught up ice on the 2 on 1 goal by Ryan O'Byrne (brilliant shot on the move, by the way, by a non-goal scorer), but that was caused by a Leaf (Kadri?) coming at him at warp speed, forcing Del Zotto to make a quick decision...which didn't work out...it happens.

Beautiful shot on a quick release by Kessel, who has one of the best releases in the league...it happens.

The Rangers had all kinds of opportunities from the point with players in front, but unfortunately nothing found the back of the net or came to a Ranger for an easy rebound...if we keep playing that well in the offensive zone, more goals will come.

I especially love the people who used their 20/20 hindsight and said we should have rested Hank. If we had played Biron last night and lost, after Hank had one of the best periods Saturday night that any goalie has had, people would have gone ballistic over that too.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
  #117
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I don't know why he is so easy to pick on. I think he's having a better season than McD and Stralman etc. He's certainly better than Girardi.
Because while I agree that he might be our overall best defenseman this year, his lows (although mitigated this season) are much, much lower than anyone else. Girardi or Stralman might struggle for longer periods of time, but Del Zotto's poor games go beyond the word struggling. They are implosions.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
  #118
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 400
Del Zotto has one bad game and the boards freak out. I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Krams is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 04:57 PM
  #119
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
honestly thought del zotto turned it around somewhat midway through the second, made his game alot simpler went for carrys up ice or dump ins rather then try to make something happen offensively, but by that point the damage was done

SwedishBullet62 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:00 PM
  #120
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Del Zotto has one bad game and the boards freak out. I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not.
You wanna see a freak out, go to the Stralman thread on the main board.

Aufheben is online now  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
  #121
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Stralman is the only Rangers defenseman that I think has played to his potential this season.... Staal was playing fairly well before his injury...

Girardi/McDonagh/MDZ have all underperformed this season.....

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
  #122
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think McD and Girardi are undervalued sometimes. I'm not here to bash MDZ after a bad game or two, but I don't think there's any way he's been anything but our third best defenseman this year, and DEFINITELY no way better than McDonagh. He's having a good year and it's allowed Tortorella some flexibility with Staal out, but at the end of the day when Staal's healthy I still think he'll always be our fourth best defenseman of those four.

RangerFan10 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
  #123
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think McD and Girardi are undervalued sometimes. I'm not here to bash MDZ after a bad game or two, but I don't think there's any way he's been anything but our third best defenseman this year, and DEFINITELY no way better than McDonagh. He's having a good year and it's allowed Tortorella some flexibility with Staal out, but at the end of the day when Staal's healthy I still think he'll always be our fourth best defenseman of those four.
I think McDonagh's season has been very overrated, and I think McDonagh in general has been overrated by these boards. There, I said it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
  #124
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Because while I agree that he might be our overall best defenseman this year, his lows (although mitigated this season) are much, much lower than anyone else. Girardi or Stralman might struggle for longer periods of time, but Del Zotto's poor games go beyond the word struggling. They are implosions.
Girardi had been awful all year, MDZ had one bad game. I fail to see how his lows are so much worse than anyone else. McDonagh has had some brutal nights as well and been directly responsible for goals against that have lead to losses. They're still young its gonna happen.

Affinity is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #125
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think McDonagh's season has been very overrated, and I think McDonagh in general has been overrated by these boards. There, I said it.
I think this year, absolutely.

Last year he was an absolute stud, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.