HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Not sure why he hasn't gotten DDs PP time yet. At least for a tryout.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
But I heard on hfboards that he's soft.
Nobody, as far as I know, has ever said Eller is soft. This aspect of his game has improved greatly under Therrien but he was never a pushover to begin with. I personally have trouble with his puck feeding skills and abilities, but it's been improving in the last few games, most notably since Prust came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You are really one of the most objective poster of all time.
You whine about people hating on DD, you whine about people hating on Price, yet you do the same thing to Eller and completely discredit everything he has done ...

REMEMBER 4TH LINER AT BEST
Nobody ever said that, not even SouthernHabs.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
He'll be a consistent 100 hit guy, which is really good.

He really looks like the C version of AK, just with a bit more consistency and emotion
It's not something I would use as a quality to describe a centerman. The less his game is similar to Kostitsyn, the better off he'll be.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Nobody, as far as I know, has ever said Eller is soft. This aspect of his game has improved greatly under Therrien but he was never a pushover to begin with. I personally have trouble with his puck feeding skills and abilities, but it's been improving in the last few games, most notably since Prust came back.
There is at least two posters who called Eller soft recently, and I'm sure there was many more last seasons. I even heard he "plays scared" here. You'd be surprised.

Quote:
Habchum or whatever he was called said that.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There is at least two posters who called Eller soft recently, and I'm sure there was many more last seasons. I even heard he "plays scared" here. You'd be surprised.

Habchum or whatever he was called said that.
And Pierre Mcguire was skeptical about Lars being anything more than a depth bottom 6 player, at best 3rd line centre.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:18 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Ain't soft, sports psychologist fixed that. And he beefed up.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Plenty of people on this board calls every player that doesn't throw away big hits soft.
They don't even know the meaning of soft.
Quote:
A lot of people said the ceiling of Eller was a 3rd line center. The ceiling..
There are some that believed he was just a 4th liner, 3rd at best.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Ain't soft, sports psychologist fixed that. And he beefed up.
Even before the sports psych he wasn't soft, he just didn't seem to always know when to rely on strength instead of skill. One of his improvements this year has been learning to combine the two.

Of course I think the psychologist did help him with his confidence, which has played its part.

Old
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not sure why he hasn't gotten DDs PP time yet. At least for a tryout.
You won't like this answer:

But how would it reflects on Therrien's?
In MTL, poeple greatly overrated DD.....

When it didn't work in the beginning of the season.....poeple start to blame it on Pacioretty's injury, Cole is a slow starter, on RDS Blog (right now) some already start to blame Gallagher not being the right type of player for DD.....

Never DD's fault....
No excuses doesn't apply to him.
(At least on the french RDS)

If Therrien doesn't get DD going....who do you think is next for the blame game?
Already started.....Some start blaming Therrien for not being able to used DD properly
as he was last year.

But there's the thing......

First season: 14 points in 43 games (Without PP)
Second season: 40 points in 82 games (Without PP)
This season: 18 points in 39 games (Without PP)

If you take out the Powerplay out of DD's game....what do you have left?

A 35-40pts player who can't play on any special units, not responsable defensively, bring absolutely no thoughness or grit.

And Therrien will be responsible for not being able to bring the best out of DD as all other coach have done previously.

I understand why Therrien is scared to take him the PP....but i don't agree!

Old
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
I said Conditoning because I don't think any team really have a boxing coach
Serious here -- why not?

EDIT: (don't mean to hijack) I don't mean a full-time coach, but serious do the players have a guy who works with them on the basics, where and how to grab, stance and balance, when where how to throw, helmet removal, use of equipment for increased impact. I imagine the broons have a team doing this? Would or could the Habs have a guy drop in to Brossard for a clinic? Many Euros didn't learn young. If Eller does drop them I'd be thrilled if he showed some sick strikes !

Last edited by JLP: 04-10-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fighting coach
Old
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
You are really one of the most objective poster of all time.
You whine about people hating on DD, you whine about people hating on Price, yet you do the same thing to Eller and completely discredit everything he has done ...

REMEMBER 4TH LINER AT BEST
Ease up man. I would like to see Eller on the pp and his ice time corresponding to his production.

My biggest concern now is that Prust was taken off of his line. Especially sine that combo was the best line for the last two games.

It is ok to not be so serious all the time

Old
04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

What if I told you I can find the very quote about that?

Quote:
Originally Poster by SouthernHab
What we should do is stop trying to elevate Eller on a pedestal and stop thinking of him as more than what he is........suited for 4th line duty and penalty killing.

The DD vs Eller debates should end after tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Serious here -- why not?
I don't know... Fighting is such a small part of the game... I wouldnt say no but heh...

Last edited by Mrb1p: 04-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Plenty of people on this board calls every player that doesn't throw away big hits soft.
They don't even know the meaning of soft.

A lot of people said the ceiling of Eller was a 3rd line center. The ceiling..
There are some that believed he was just a 4th liner, 3rd at best.
It's hard to be certain about Eller's ceiling, even at this point, as much as I'm concerned.
To me, if you have Eller as your #3 C, well this position is not a weakness in your lineup.

If you have him as your #2 C, I just can't come up with any conclusion in that situation. I still think one day he might become a decent #2 C. To me, he's already a very adequate/way above average #3 centerman.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer the term "middle-sixer" (2nd or 3rd line) than bottom-sixer to describe his potential.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
In the 2009/2010 AHL season, Eller led the #3 overall PP Peoria Rivermen in powerplay points with 26 in 70 games.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
In the 2009/2010 AHL season, Eller led the #3 overall PP Peoria Rivermen in powerplay points with 26 in 70 games.
Stop, this doesn't count

Old
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
It's hard to be certain about Eller's ceiling, even at this point, as much as I'm concerned.
To me, if you have Eller as your #3 C, well this position is not a weakness in your lineup.

If you have him as your #2 C, I just can't come up with any conclusion in that situation. I still think one day he might become a decent #2 C. To me, he's already a very adequate/way above average #3 centerman.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer the term "middle-sixer" (2nd or 3rd line) than bottom-sixer to describe his potential.
thing is, at ES he's already producing as a top 6 C pace... so, you think he'll regress ?

Old
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
After watching the game last night and reading the PGT and this thread, I am officially jumping on the Eller bandwagon.

If Eller would have been on the PP for the full 2 minutes, we would have scored a goal and the game would have gone to OT.

I am also realizing that Eller just needs more ice time. If we double his ice time to say somewhere around 28-30 minutes per game, his output will double as well. This team needs those extra 6 goals down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I'm all in for Eller. 25 minutes + per night and full power play use and I am going to book us as Cup winner this season.

I wondered what was keeping us from being a top team in the NHL. My eyes have been opened.

Go Eller Go!!!!!!!
Haha you mads bro?

Your post makes me laugh so much but not because it's funny... its just pathetic.

Never seen anyone get so mad about a fanbase appreciating a player.

I think its time you realize Eller is starting to be a better player than your beloved David Desharnais but why so mad though.. they both play for the Habs.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

When it didn't work in the beginning of the season.....poeple start to blame it on Pacioretty's injury, Cole is a slow starter, on RDS Blog (right now) some already start to blame Gallagher not being the right type of player for DD.....

Never DD's fault....

If Therrien doesn't get DD going....who do you think is next for the blame game?
Already started.....Some start blaming Therrien for not being able to used DD properly
as he was last year.

A 35-40pts player who can't play on any special units, not responsable defensively, bring absolutely no thoughness or grit.

And Therrien will be responsible for not being able to bring the best out of DD as all other coach have done previously.

good post

I think this stupid DD signing has Jeff Molson written all over it , political

Old
04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Are we really playing our 1st round centers in the center position? Looks like it. Next? Try playing our D on the side they were drafted as!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Haha you mads bro?

Your post makes me laugh so much but not because it's funny... its just pathetic.

I think its time you realize Eller is starting to be a better player than your beloved David Desharnais but why so mad though.. they both play for the Habs.
Too many people on this board who like or dislike players over caring for the team. It's obvious.

team first

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

Never DD's fault....

as he was last year.

That's actually fairly solid non-PP production. Most top sixers are in the 33-40 ES points per 82 games territory.

Desharnais is good at 5 on 5 offense, not amazing, but good.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Dharvey33

I love Eller we'll leave it at that. Always loved him from the beginning and knew he was going to break out.

If only he could play DD minutes then we would see why he is better than him.

I don't hate Desharnais but i don't like the fact that he plays more than Eller right now when Therrien stated it was a meritocraty. Sounds like it's not really the case.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Haha you mads bro?

The irony is ironic.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
What if I told you I can find the very quote about that?
Great post. Time frame and context is missing but great post none the less.

Can you help me with the search feature for old posts? I need to pull up what some people said about Halak, Kaberle, Cole, Mara, Sopel, Gauthier, Martin and Cunneyworth.

Hockey internet message boards are serious stuff.

PS. I might lose some sleep tonight over that post. Or might not. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

You'll never know about him as a top 6 until you actually try him there. But looking at his play, and his production, there's really no reason to think he wouldn't be able to handle that role. In any event, we won't know until he's tried there.

Closed Thread