HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whos the kid that will make it?? (fowards)

View Poll Results: Who?
Kostitsyn 113 61.75%
Latendresse 20 10.93%
Grabovski 14 7.65%
Chipchura 9 4.92%
Lapierre 13 7.10%
Ferland 14 7.65%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-26-2006, 02:20 PM
bayrider

vCash: 500
If a winger on the top 2, maybe 3 lines gets injured or underachieves, his spot will go to Kostitsyn.

If it's someone on the 4th line, and maybe 3rd (depending on the situation and the need), it will be Ferland or Lapierre

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93 View Post
The only guy that could get bumbed by Kostitsyn is Perezhogin ... And I'm not sure he could do it very long ... Latendresse might start the season with Montreal, but I'd be VERY surprised if he played more then 10 games in the Pros. Surprised but happy
I think Ryder could bein trouble as well if he doesnt play better than last year... Ribeiro could be another one in danger... So we all know Johnson can play center.. you put Plekanec on the second to center the line and Jonhson to center the third, what would open another spot on the wings.. So I dont think this is that hard to make room for a kid if he earns his ice time.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Kafka

I forgot to mention this about Chipchura: don't expect him to have a faster beginning in the NHL than Brian Sutherby. They will have IMO precisely similar paths, and therefore, Chipchura won't play in the NHL at the start of this season with an healthy roster.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

Im sure Kost gonna do the same as Ryder did 3 years ago , not the fastest skater , but has the skills to put 25 goals

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 04:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I think Ryder could bein trouble as well if he doesnt play better than last year... Ribeiro could be another one in danger... So we all know Johnson can play center.. you put Plekanec on the second to center the line and Jonhson to center the third, what would open another spot on the wings.. So I dont think this is that hard to make room for a kid if he earns his ice time.
I don't think we all know Johnson can play C. I've seen it said on the board but I've never seen it on the ice. He's never done it on a good team over the long term as far as I know.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
Im sure Kost gonna do the same as Ryder did 3 years ago , not the fastest skater , but has the skills to put 25 goals
Kosty is very fast.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't think we all know Johnson can play C. I've seen it said on the board but I've never seen it on the ice. He's never done it on a good team over the long term as far as I know.
I think he is said to be able to play center only because he can take faceoffs.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:14 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
You mean 50? The sky is the limit for him. Ok prob not in his first year, but in the long term I dont think theres a comparison to be made between his potential and Ryder's. And Kost would be in the top 3 fastest habs from the get go.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
oli500

Injurys are allways a factor in a regurlar season.Kositsyn will most likely be a offensive replacement and fill in for a offensive foward here and there. im expecting kost to play anywere from 30 to 40 games this season.

Last edited by oli500: 08-27-2006 at 09:55 AM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:03 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
Murray, Perez, Johnson, Bonk are not lock to make the lineup this year and could be replaced by rookies (not all of them of course).
Ribeiro could too but would be a bit unlikely since he signed a new contract, Carbo probably got plans for him.

Ryder and Koivu could also play some game in the stands because of injuries.

Even if there's only a spot on the fourth line they should bring the most nhl ready prospect and see if he can perform with limited game time, if he can they'll find him a place up in the two first lines moving someone not living up to the expectation.

I can agree on Murray and maybe even Perez but Johnson and Bonk?
Come now we traded for Johnson only to trade him before the season starts or waive him? I don't think so. I actually think he will be given a pretty big role with the club if he plays like he can.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Pax Macioretty

i'm going out with a chance her and saying that Ribeiro will lose his spot to Grabo half way in the season when management realises he can't keep with both of his wingers even when there cruising on the ice and Grabo puts up impressive stats in the AHL

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:28 AM
VanNistelrooy

I voted Ferland, cause I feel he's the only one who could play on a 4th line.

Lappierre will need an other year of developpement with the Bulldogs.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Ferland.

Don't forget we're talking about a guy who will see very limited ice time here, and that's the key I feel.

Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, Latendresse, Chipchura and even Lapierre if you stretch it, their potential is higher than that of a limited role-player, they've got at least dominant 3rd line potential.

I feel it's better for those guys to play in the AHL or in the Juniors than riding the pine in Montreal.

Which is why I pick Ferland for the job.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I forgot to mention this about Chipchura: don't expect him to have a faster beginning in the NHL than Brian Sutherby. They will have IMO precisely similar paths, and therefore, Chipchura won't play in the NHL at the start of this season with an healthy roster.
I'm not that familiar with Sutherby's career but I agree there is NO WAY Chipchura starts the season in Montreal, unless there's like 4 major players injured. We already have 5 NHL caliber centermen (koivu, Ribs, Pleks, Begin, Bonk) and if we were to need one more to help on a 3rd or 4th line for a while, it'll be Lapierre I'm sure; and were we to need an offensive guy (to replace Koivu ?? ) it would probably be Grabovsky who's older and has played with men for years now.

From the small sample I saw last year, Chipchura needs AT LEAST 1 year in Hamilton; don't forget he missed almost an entire season with a ruptured achilles. He needs to play with men and keep refining his play and improve his abilities, so when he comes here, he'll be ready to make an impact and be a leader.

Anyway, why rush him ? it's not like the house is burning down...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 12:30 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
I voted for Ferland

I think Kostitsyn can make the team, but perhaps they'll prefer for him to better adjust to the NA game again, and hopefully with his buddy Grabovsky

Ferland, I might be the only one, can cause some surprise IMO with his play. He's not the fastest skater nor the most skilled out there, but he works hard, has good size and play a strong game along the boards, and has a good shot on net.

I still think he has some offensive potential left...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:07 PM
fast

Other rookies

Watch Jancevski!

I really think he could compete for a spot this year and is what Montreal needs on the blue line (size, toughness, offense and good +/-). Same attributes Beauchmin had when in the AHL

fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
i'm going out with a chance her and saying that Ribeiro will lose his spot to Grabo half way in the season when management realises he can't keep with both of his wingers even when there cruising on the ice and Grabo puts up impressive stats in the AHL
They already know this... But you know... Classy attitude... they will let him have a real last chance one.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
I voted for Ferland

I think Kostitsyn can make the team, but perhaps they'll prefer for him to better adjust to the NA game again, and hopefully with his buddy Grabovsky

Ferland, I might be the only one, can cause some surprise IMO with his play. He's not the fastest skater nor the most skilled out there, but he works hard, has good size and play a strong game along the boards, and has a good shot on net.

You're not the only one, I too also feel Ferland might surprise. I still see a good 3rd liner down the road in him.

Furthermore, logic tends to back your opinion. Ferland has to go through waivers if we send him back, which means risking losing him. Also, Ferland is a much better fit in a limited 4th line / reserve duty, which is the current spot opened for a rookie, than guys like Chipchura and Kostitsyn who have much more to gain by playing quality minutes in Hamilton than riding the pine in the NHL.

I still feel Kostitsyn, if he only slightly improved on last year's short showing, is ready to take the next step and will force management to make room for him. But I can see all the other guys mentioned in this thread make it over him too. That'll make for an interesting training camp.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Kost is the only one thats anywhere ready to make the jump to the NHL....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:04 PM
fatmax

In my opinion

Kostytsin will play a full year in hamilton with Grabovsky and will see some ice time when injury came unless he shows amazing skill in camp and bump out Perezhogin (doubt it). Both Grabovsky & Kostytsin will be ready next year

Latendresse could play a couple of games with the pros just to give him a taste of what is like playing with mens and he'll be sent back probably in junior where he will have to blow the league away (mature a bit) and be ready for next year

Chipchura will spend the year with hamilton and be ready to play next year or in two

Lapierre or Ferland will make the team this year and will make a rotation on the fourth line and will be mostly (sadly) benchwarmers in the beginning of the season and dependably how it turns out, will graduate fully on the fourth line if a trade happens and one of Bonk or Murray is traded away (if Lapierre or Ferland show more skill/value to the organization (ie QUebecer)) or they will be traded in a package deal!

What left for this year
Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Samsonov-Ribeiro/Plek-Kovalev
Perez-Plek/Ribeiro-Jonhson
Begin-Bonk-Murray/Downey Hopefuly (Lapierre-Begin-Ferland)

All this if Koivu's OK and if Ribeiro don't suck big time

Next year's:
Latendresse/Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Samsonov-Plek-Kovalev
Kostytsin-Grabovsky-Johnson
Lapierre-Begin-Ferland

which means Ryder, Bonk, Murray & Ribeiro could be, IMO, traded this year in return of better defense (but Ribeiro & Bonk won't have another contract with the habs if they suck again this year)(I also don't know about Murray's contract situation)!

En résumé
either Ferland or Lapierre (sadly) will make the team this year and there's is more probability (if he shows more speed) that Ferland will warm the hab's bench since he has to go trough waivers if he's recall (then again, depending on what's market value vs is organization value), Bob could let him stay with Hamilton and be ready for next year!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
tinyzombies

I think we'll see Kostitsyn on the team if there are any injuries. He's clearly the most developed player in that group, along with Lapierre. I bet he comes in sometime during the season and wins a job. I don't know from whom, but I predict he's gonna make it at some point this year and score a bunch of goals for us and force a trade.

Lapierre could see some time in the big league this year too. I like what I saw of him last year in brief playing time. He was very nervous, but I liked his size and quickness and mean streak.

From what I saw at the development camp, Chipchura is not ready. He did well, but didn't really stand out at the camp. But maybe he was injured. I think a guy like O'Byrne could steal some time if there are injuries on D.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
les3couleurs

I was more than impressed with Kostitsyn's play in the NHL and can't see how he cannot make the team.

I prefer him to Perezhogin for the same role and I wouldn't be surprised if Carbonneau did too.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe27 View Post
Latendresse easy, Kostsitsyn has to show he wants to be here and work hard which he hasn't done yet and Latendresse has.
Good point....Latendresse almost made the team last year because he showed heart and showed that he wanted to be there. He was out on the ice hitting everything in site. It would be a pleasure to watch him do that again this year, but on a full time basis.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Come now we traded for Johnson only to trade him before the season starts or waive him? I don't think so. I actually think he will be given a pretty big role with the club if he plays like he can.
QFT

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
Ferland

Well a consistent 15 pts AHL scorer will certainly not play in the NHL for his scoring prowess...

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote