HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If we're picking 7-9 and nurse is off the board, I wouldn't mind picking Anthony Mantha.
I think you have a crush.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think you have a crush.
I have a good feeling about him! I really don't know why he's not being talked about as much as other guys. I've made it a habit to watch a bunch of chl games this year when top prospects were playing and honestly mantha caught my eye as much, if not more than some other guys.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I have a good feeling about him! I really don't know why he's not being talked about as much as other guys. I've made it a habit to watch a bunch of chl games this year when top prospects were playing and honestly mantha caught my eye as much, if not more than some other guys.
I know he's big, and I see from his line that he's quite a goalscorer.

What else can you (or others) say about his game?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:41 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
If we're picking 7-9 and nurse is off the board, I wouldn't mind picking Anthony Mantha.
I still think we go with a d-man. Maybe Ristolainen, Zadorov, Morrissey, or Pulock.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

If Jones and Nurse are off the board and they pick 7th-10th, I believe they are taking the BPA and that most likely won't be a defenseman. Monahan and Lindholm come to mind. I think that's where they go with those picks. Always BPA, not organizational needs when drafting this high.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I still think we go with a d-man. Maybe Ristolainen, Zadorov, Morrissey, or Pulock.
Yeah I'm in that camp as well. Zadorov is my second choice if Nurse is unavailable where we pick (unless we get one of the top three, obviously). Then Risto, then Pulock, then Morrissey. I'd might draft Mantha over Morrissey, but I think it is unlikely that Nurse, Risto, Zadarov, and Pulock are ALL off the board when the Flyers pick. That Russian (Nuschisksen or whatever) is intriguing, but drafting a Russian that high who is under KHL contract is worrisome. Someone could wind up with a steal if he falls, but I don't think the Flyers would take him anywhere in the first round. In conclusion:

1. Jones/Mac/Drouin
2. Nurse
3. Zadorov
4. Risto
5. Pulock
6. Mantha
7. Morrissey

Old
04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

He's not only big, but he has an nhl frame to add muscle. He's also an absolutely fantastic skater and very fast. Reminds me of Jeff carter a lot, in terms of his release and his stride. But he's also very physical. He hits and he will drop the gloves to defend teammates. He also has one hell of a one timer from the circle which is something this team has been lacking severely on the pp.

IMO, besides a defenseman, a player like mantha is exactly what this team needs up top.

As far as nhl comparisons, I'd compare him to jeff carter, Corey perry or James Neal.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I'm in that camp as well. Zadorov is my second choice if Nurse is unavailable where we pick (unless we get one of the top three, obviously). Then Risto, then Pulock, then Morrissey. I'd might draft Mantha over Morrissey, but I think it is unlikely that Nurse, Risto, Zadarov, and Pulock are ALL off the board when the Flyers pick. That Russian (Nuschisksen or whatever) is intriguing, but drafting a Russian that high who is under KHL contract is worrisome. Someone could wind up with a steal if he falls, but I don't think the Flyers would take him anywhere in the first round. In conclusion:

1. Jones/Mac/Drouin
2. Nurse
3. Zadorov
4. Risto
5. Pulock
6. Mantha
7. Morrissey
What is Zadorov's offensive upside? Morrisey's and Pulock's defensive upside?

My sense was that those three are all fairly one-dimensional players. That's why Ristolainen is generally projected a bit better, no?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I honestly have no idea on zadorov's upside. As it stands now, he could come into the league and play like Schenn or coburn. He hasn't been used in an offensive role in London at all. He should be getting a bigger role next year

Old
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

He has a tendency to be a floater and he's the oldest player in this draft. That's the biggest knocks on him from the scouts.

He was born the same day as the cutoff for this draft. If he was born the next day he would have been in the 2012 draft.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I honestly have no idea on zadorov's upside. As it stands now, he could come into the league and play like Schenn or coburn. He hasn't been used in an offensive role in London at all. He should be getting a bigger role next year
That was going to be my response (only because you told me earlier in the year when I asked the same question, haha).

Old
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

Button had his prospect discussion today.

Somebody asked a question about Nurse, his response...

Quote:
Craig Button: I think Darnell has grown in his game tremendously over the past 18 months. He has expanded his game to the point where he plays in all situations. He is big, he can skate and he is a big time competitor and would look great on the Flyers' blue line or any teams' blue line for that matter.
Seems like he thinks the Flyers will target him too

Old
04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Krishna

Prongo, didnt you bash me on twitter yesterday or the day before for referencing button?

Old
04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Craig Button may be a bad tv analyst and a funny looking guy but I appreciate his prospect rankings every year. The guy watches a lot of players and really breaks down their games. I like how his lists give you a better feel how a GM would rank the players instead of consensus list from a bunch of different scouts.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Prongo, didnt you bash me on twitter yesterday or the day before for referencing button?

It definitely wasn't a "bash" . You just said he has Zad over Pulock, but I said he isn't the say all end all with prospects. I respect his work, but we see players drop all the time. Also it's pretty much a consensus now that Nurse is going to be going top 7 probably.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
It definitely wasn't a "bash" . You just said he has Zad over Pulock, but I said he isn't the say all end all with prospects. I respect his work, but we see players drop all the time. Also it's pretty much a consensus now that Nurse is going to be going top 7 probably.
You are definitely going to be mad when you owe me that case of beer on top of the one you already owe me.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
You are definitely going to be mad when you owe me that case of beer on top of the one you already owe me.
Lol I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but I don't owe you anything. Also I never even agreed to any bet/deal. I am not a betting man!

Old
04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Lol I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but I don't owe you anything. Also I never even agreed to any bet/deal. I am not a betting man!
I know for a fact that this is a lie.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
20 imagined dollars says we draft a forward, 10 more imaginary dollars says its a Center.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
ahthorne

Any of Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Nurse would be my preferred players. Top-7 seems to be the place to be...

Old
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
The more that I hear about Ristolainen, the more I like him. Big, strong, fluid skater and good passer; needs to improve his shot. Some say that he is ready for the NHL next season. A concern that I have with Nurse is that he has a thick body and has been an early maturer meaning that with age, he may get bulkier and therefore possibly slower on the ice.
I like what I've heard about Ristolainen too, wouldn't mind if they end up with him. But Nurse has a thick body? He's 6-4 and 190 lbs, how thick can he be?

Old
04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I like what I've heard about Ristolainen too, wouldn't mind if they end up with him. But Nurse has a thick body? He's 6-4 and 190 lbs, how thick can he be?
He looks slim to me and that's with equipment on. I think he could actually add some weight if anything.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

I've always considered you to be a Button pusher, Krishna.

The danger of absorbing the info about these top options is that we get tidbits and, at least I do, latch onto 1-2 guys. My ideal pick outside of the top 3 is Nurse, but know next to nothing about the other players projected around him beyond their numbers. I have in my head for next season a top 4 on the Phantoms of Nurse - Lauridson / Manning - Gostisbehere, with possibly Bourdon (if healthy) or Syvret.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Krishna

I love BernieParent and his puns

Old
04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
poneill27

Valery Nichushkin I would be happy with at 7-10 if he's still there. I know Russian factor, KHL 2 yr contract but this guy is Chernobyl Baby II.

Closed Thread