HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
M A K A V E L I*

vCash: 500

What's your goaltending situation like? Any interest in Luongo in the offseason?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
What's your goaltending situation like? Any interest in Luongo in the offseason?
Absolutely none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
how the hell does this relate to the GDT?
It doesn't.. that's why he posted it in the thread about the Bruins @ Devils game! :p

Old
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

keep it rolling...

Old
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Absoultely None

Old
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
We have Brodeur and Hedberg both signed through next year. Luongo would be a good stop gap if Marty retires after next year. Not on the contract he's on now though. A lot of posters would probably take a Brouongo tandem over the Marty/Moose one, but Hedberg would be fine as a backup. Luongo would be a good stop gap if he's amnestied. I think there's a shot still that a team could take him on the current contract in the offseason.

Only thing that would keep me from wanting Luongo on this team as a stop gap is his contract, and how great his twitter is. There's an unwritten policy on our players using twitter!

Old
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Zippy316

When are the amnesties?

Is there one after this season and then another after the 2014 season?

Maybe if the Canucks aren't handicapped by the contract, they could wait until 2014, and a Luongo amnestied than would be a perfect stop gap goalie for two or three years.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
When are the amnesties?

Is there one after this season and then another after the 2014 season?

Maybe if the Canucks aren't handicapped by the contract, they could wait until 2014, and a Luongo amnestied than would be a perfect stop gap goalie for two or three years.
One this Summer, and one for next Summer. Montreal, and the Rangers have already used one of theirs on Gomez and Redden. We're gonna need a stop gap. A few people think Wedgewood will step right in without even backing up for a year. That just won't happen unless he or Kinkaid get some playing time with one of our other goalies injured. Seeing how stubborn Pistol Pete was last time that probably won't happen.

Luongo would be a better stop gap than whatever else we could get. Do you really want Theodore, or 39 year old Nabokov, or someone like that to be the stop gap? Luongo will be only 35 still by that time. If Luongo is amnestied then he will probably sign for cheap since he's still making boatloads from the buyout.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One this Summer, and one for next Summer. Montreal, and the Rangers have already used one of theirs on Gomez and Redden. We're gonna need a stop gap. A few people think Wedgewood will step right in without even backing up for a year. That just won't happen unless he or Kinkaid get some playing time with one of our other goalies injured. Seeing how stubborn Pistol Pete was last time that probably won't happen.

Luongo would be a better stop gap than whatever else we could get. Do you really want Theodore, or 39 year old Nabokov, or someone like that to be the stop gap? Luongo will be only 35 still by that time. If Luongo is amnestied then he will probably sign for cheap since he's still making boatloads from the buyout.
Pretty sure its just two amnesties total that can be used either this summer or next summer (not one per).

Old
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Pretty sure its just two amnesties total that can be used either this summer or next summer (not one per).
It might be. I'm not sure if they have to be used each year or if they can be used in one year.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
It might be. I'm not sure if they have to be used each year or if they can be used in one year.
I'm pretty sure they can be used in either off-season (as in, both if they want or none and both the next year... or 1 and 1).

Old
04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
CerebralGenesis

Luongo won't get amnestied by Vancouver

Old
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

I personally think it's gonna be Kinkaid then Wedgewood. I don't think Wedgewood would be ready after a year of ECHL and then a year of AHL. Kinkaid would have 3 years of AHL duties under his belt, so he's a bit more experienced.

I personally think it's gonna be a Kinkaid/UFA stop gap for a couple years then we will see Wedgewood when Kinkaid is ready. The only way around this is if Wedgewood has some unheard of developmental path and just dominates the AHL next year, however, that's very unlikely.

If Hedberg retires this year, then maybe we can have a Brodeur/Kinkaid tandem which will give Kinkaid a little bit more seasoning.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Maybe not this year, but if Schneider plays really well next season, then Luongo is just dead weight.

If they can't find a viable trade partner and have an extra buyout, I don't see why they wouldn't use it, to be honest.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
I don't know. They kinda hinted at not being able to find any takers for his contract last week on deadline day. I think they'll give it another go this Summer though to see if anyone will take it.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Someone will take Luongo, they would be stupid not to get anything for him, and they could at least get a pick or prospect out of it.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:48 PM
CerebralGenesis

They never said there were no takers.

They asked for Scrivens, Colborne, and another player for him at the deadline from a palyoff team. Toronto said no. He'll get traded in the summer. It's harder to move big deals like that in the middle of the year especially with the cap coming down and teams not even prepared with their own rosters yet.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo Sabe View Post
Someone will take Luongo, they would be stupid not to get anything for him, and they could at least get a pick or prospect out of it.
I'm starting to think more and more that he might actually get bought out. Even if it's not until 2014. They will try to find a taker between now and next year though.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
They never said there were no takers.

They asked for Scrivens, Colborne, and another player for him at the deadline from a palyoff team. Toronto said no. He'll get traded in the summer. It's harder to move big deals like that in the middle of the year especially with the cap coming down and teams not even prepared with their own rosters yet.
I could see Lou being willing to take on the deal at the end of 2014. After all, if he retires early, the Canucks are the team that takes on all the cap penalties from the new lockout.

The Devils are taking that contract with just salary and the cap hit. I don't foresee us really going up to the cap hit soon. The only way it handicaps us if we run into another Schnieder situation in the future with Kinkaid or Wedgewood, but then again, I'd rather be safe with Luongo than sorry if neither turns out and we have a ****** goalie manning the crease.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Moose is bought out and we sign Bryzgalov.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I can see us moving Hedberg and prospects for Bernier. Moose has a NTC, I know this, but it's not like he'd be landing in Calgary or another bottom feader and Los Angeles is a pretty solid place to plan your retirement since it'll probably be his last year in the league anyways... Just throwing it out there.

If we stay with the old couple as our goalie tandem, I just feel that we'd be throwing away the best possible situation for a young netminder to learn from one of the best that ever played the position. Who better to learn from threw a entire year then Martin Brodeur in regards to work ethic and everything else.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I wouldn't mind Bryzgalov, but his stint with the Flyers may have very well killed him. He was actually very good in Phoenix. He still has shown the ability to be able to play at a high level at times with the Flyers. He played a very good game against us a few weeks ago.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
hlaverty06

Give Joe Whitney the NHL contract and I'll be happy

Old
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Give Joe Whitney the NHL contract and I'll be happy
That too. Seriously **** Tedenby, give Whitney a chance this time.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:45 PM
apice3*

Buying Luongo out makes no sense.

If anything happens with him, he'll be traded with some salary retained. Paying him the full amount and letting him leave for nothing is completely moronic. Instead, pay him a portion and get something in exchange.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Bryzgalov, but his stint with the Flyers may have very well killed him. He was actually very good in Phoenix. He still has shown the ability to be able to play at a high level at times with the Flyers. He played a very good game against us a few weeks ago.
No *** way hoss.
He's a space cadet!

Closed Thread