HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

vCash: 500
i'd be down for getting bryz. obviously not at the outrageous sum of money the flyers were paying him.. he's a good goalie though.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:59 PM
The Green Unit

Honestly I was just throwing an idea out there. But Bryz's definitely better than the Flyers defence indicates.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Zippy316

Anyone interested in Bozak in the offseason?

Versatile center/wing who can contribute some points. Some may not like him, yes I believe he was overrated by most Leafs fans, but it doesn't take the fact that he's a good player.

Personally, I'm afraid at what Clarkson is going to get, but I'd rather resign Elias, Zubrus, let Clarkson go unless we can sign him a reasonable deal and sign Bozak....

Zubrus-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Bozak
Henrique-Josefson-D'Agostini (?), Clarkson (?)
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Personally, I'd like to see Ponikarovski and D'Agostini walk, but the latter is an RFA, so I don't think it'll hurt to sign him to a cheap deal and hope we get something out of him. I'd give Bozak three or four years around 4 million personally, rather spend that on him than Clarkson too, as we have enough big bodied guys like that.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
The Green Unit

I'd give D'ags a free pass. He came here at the worst possible moment. Tough to blame him if he looks lost out there.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Buying Luongo out makes no sense.

If anything happens with him, he'll be traded with some salary retained. Paying him the full amount and letting him leave for nothing is completely moronic. Instead, pay him a portion and get something in exchange.
Well I did forget about the retaining salary part. So I supposed that's something that could likely happen.

And I'd just be worried if Bryzgalov has been destroyed by Philly. I think a lot of people were high on him in Phoenix, and he was good back then. Actually he was one of my favorites before he came to Philly, but then I started to hate him naturally. I also found his collapse quite amusing in the beginning, but now I feel bad for the guy because of all the **** he's taken.

Before someone says he was successful in Phoenix because of the trap please spare me. He posted a 921 save percentage one year when Wayne frickin Gretzky was the coach there, and they were awful under him. If Gretzky played the trap in Phoenix then the Devils make forechecking famous. We've seen him bring some comedy moments like ducking instead of making the save more recently, or his gaffe on the Clarkson goal in last years playoffs. Philly's defense is notoriously bad, and has backbreaking breakdowns multiple times a game.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
I'd give D'ags a free pass. He came here at the worst possible moment. Tough to blame him if he looks lost out there.
I agree, and considering he's still relatively young and an RFA, I don't really mind keeping him around.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:17 PM
The Green Unit

I would go hard after Grabovski if available personally. If not Kulemin or Bozak.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:18 PM
**** Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Buying Luongo out makes no sense.

If anything happens with him, he'll be traded with some salary retained. Paying him the full amount and letting him leave for nothing is completely moronic. Instead, pay him a portion and get something in exchange.
While that's a point, the one thing that they save themselves from if they buy out Luongo...is any potential salary cap punishments if Luongo retires prior to the contract ending.

It's looking ...6-8 years in advance or so, but it'd be a pretty significant portion of their cap taken up if he retires.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
What's your goaltending situation like? Any interest in Luongo in the offseason?
None whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I wouldn't mind Bryzgalov, but his stint with the Flyers may have very well killed him. He was actually very good in Phoenix. He still has shown the ability to be able to play at a high level at times with the Flyers. He played a very good game against us a few weeks ago.
I'd stay away from Bryz. His confidence is shot. Even with our system, he'll just be way too inconsistent to thrive.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see Ponikarovski and D'Agostini walk, but the latter is an RFA, so I don't think it'll hurt to sign him to a cheap deal and hope we get something out of him. I'd give Bozak three or four years around 4 million personally, rather spend that on him than Clarkson too, as we have enough big bodied guys like that.
D'Agostini I'm fine with, but hopefully on a two way and not a one way.

Poni can walk though. I won't be against re signing him cause he'll be cheap, and likely it will only take a year to re sign him. Plus I want Matteau to stay in the AHL for a year. Though if he walks I don't think I'll miss him this time around. He's been pretty invisible when it comes to putting up points, but he's also been asked to play on the first line with Kovy. That Poni-Zajac-Kovy line was probably worse than when Matteau was on the LW on it. Aside from their first game together against the Flyers.

Poni can stay or go. It don't matter to me, but I wouldn't put him at priority or trade for him again. That's for damn sure. Sullivan probably won't be taken back even if he scores a goal every game for the rest of the season. He'll be Sykora'd next season.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

This team is quickly headed towards post-05 lockout Leafs territory. No significant prospects, aging core, no offensive talent, bad contracts, bad goaltending, one noteworthy player who can carry the team but without whom the team falls apart. We even have Ponikarovsky like they did, except he was actually useful for them.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
This team is quickly headed towards post-05 lockout Leafs territory. No significant prospects, aging core, no offensive talent, bad contracts, bad goaltending, one noteworthy player who can carry the team but without whom the team falls apart. We even have Ponikarovsky like they did, except he was actually useful for them.
hopefully poni is gone again after his latest stint. invisible man. i agree, though, lou will need to work on all areas. goaltending, forward (especially), and defense.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Poni has been invisible. Matteau can replace him with no problem. In fact Matteau was better than he's been with even limited minutes. I just want Matteau in the AHL for a year.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:27 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

to me, the one guy who has been a rock all year throughout this travesty? andy ****ing greene. gotta give it to the guy hes been a treat to watch, flies so under the radar and makes whomever he plays light years better.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Moose is bought out and we sign Bryzgalov.
I was thinking about this today, with the whole "Bryzgalov slept through a meeting" rumors going around today. He's still a great goalie, and he'd probably have his head in a much better place on a team that won't throw him under the bus at every possible chance.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:17 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

i really dont like the thought of going into next season again with brodeur/hedberg as the tandem between the pipes.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Devils Dominion
Pivotal offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
i really dont like the thought of going into next season again with brodeur/hedberg as the tandem between the pipes.
Me neither.
But forget Bryz

Old
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I like Bryz, but I'm not sure if the Flyers have ruined him or not. He still shows flashes of being a pretty damn good goalie, but then has he comedy moments. Most of the problems are caused by how bad Philly's defense is. It's no coincidence they're the only team our horrible offense has scored 5 goals on this season and we've done it twice.

He's also been given a bunch of boobs for backups. AHL Leighton, and Boucher? Those guys used up both their careers worth of luck by getting to the SCF in 2010. Now Steve Mason? Haha.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
Hedberg will still be a quality backup I think. It's Pete's fault for not giving Kinkaid or Frazee a chance to try and impress during that time period. Only a period's worth of play for each. A little over a period worth of play for Kinkaid.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 PM
The Green Unit

No sugar coating. Bryzgalov as unconfident as he could be, is hands down a better option than Hedberg for next season. IMO.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Anyone interested in Bozak in the offseason?
Nope. He's gonna cost WAY more than he's worth. He shouldn't be a top line center on any team but he's gonna get paid like it. He's been a complete passenger on the Leafs top line (Kessel scores better with every other center on the team but nobody seems to pick up on it) but he stays there because it's the easiest place for him to slot in and the last few Leafs coaches have used Grabovski on more of a defensive line.

The kid's not a bad hockey player, but his value is super over-inflated and a 6m+ value has been kicked around lately. He's absolutely not worth that and some team's gonna be really disappointed in him if they give him close to that.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
No sugar coating. Bryzgalov as unconfident as he could be, is hands down a better option than Hedberg for next season. IMO.
Bryz could be better, but I think you guys are just a little worried about Hedberg. He's fine as a BACKUP. He was also doing well at the end of his starting tenure with a GAA of like less than 2 yet he only won half those games cause our offense with pitiful.

Hedberg is a good backup, but not meant to be a starter.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
The Green Unit

And I certainly don't want to waste a draft pick or a prospect to land a goalie from another team. It's homegrown talent or free agency for this position.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
The Green Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Bryz could be better, but I think you guys are just a little worried about Hedberg. He's fine as a BACKUP. He was also doing well at the end of his starting tenure with a GAA of like less than 2 yet he only won half those games cause our offense with pitiful.

Hedberg is a good backup, but not meant to be a starter.
Fair enough, though you're raising the main issue here. What if Brodeur is out for 20, 30 or even more games next season, something that is fairly possible when you know man's going to be 42 next year.

This season has been traumatizing for everyone, players largely included. This team needs a shakeup.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
SteveCangialosi123

we better hope matteau, josefson, and larsson all progress next year and make significant contributions if we dont wanna repeat what happened this year. throw tedenby in that discussion too if you want. we need our in system guys to get better bc there isnt much on the market. i really really hope we can get an elite offensive player in the draft we desperately need that.

Closed Thread