HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latest "Hockey Talk" podcast with Ryan Boulding, long and wide-ranging conversation

Old
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Really? You're using complete speculation that it was an accident, in an effort to help the team save face? Why?

Sure Dater is wrong about a lot of things, but he said it was a "common gripe." What about this team's spending habits would make you give them the benefit of the doubt on this?

BTW, there's no way this can happen by accident, and that no one was aware of it. The team pays the hotel bills. Someone had to make that decision and explicitly tell the players they were going to have to pay for the internet. That's not a minor oversight for a game or two type of thing.
Accident? It's probably someone in accounting that didn't think it was a big deal. The players get per diem every day they are on the road to cover meals and expenses.

You know what? I don't care. Rage on.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Accident? It's probably someone in accounting that didn't think it was a big deal. The players get per diem every day they are on the road to cover meals and expenses.

You know what? I don't care. Rage on.
Yea they get per diem for meals and what not, but I'd be very very surprised if they're making each individual go down and pay the hotel bills. The time alone that would take would make it a waste, let alone mistakes, and people just forgetting, or even making sure the hotel wasn't making a mistake on the charges.

Like every professional group of individuals that go on some type of tour or trip, they have someone in charge of paying the hotel bills, and other similar responsibilities. Therefore, the team is paying for the whole bill and getting reimbursed afterwards.

I don't really care either, I just don't see why you're going out of your way to defend the organization and say this was just an oversight.

Again, it's not just someone in accounting making this decision. It may not be Kroenke himself, but it's someone with some authority, because no lower management type is gonna make that kind of call.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:51 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Sooo... are we even going to bring up that nonsense about trading Varly?

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
That would be stupid move.

Depending on the return ofc.

Varly is not the problem.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
The key word there Foppa, is supposedly. In the world and justice system there are only two answers yes and no. There is no "supposedly" or "perhaps" and consider how many times Dater has been wrong or likes to initiate speculation.
Exactly, I highly doubt even half of this true.... Dater is about as big a pessimist as they come when it comes to sports reporters.

And even if the whole $10 thing is true, like Freudian said who honestly give a damn. The players are making 500k a year MINIMUM. Its not like the $10 is breaking there banks either.

If I was owner of a team with guys making minimum 500k a year and most making 1.5M+ I would probably be making them pay for there own internet too.

Being blown way out of proportion by some of you.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Yea.........no.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
I think that statement by Dater just proves 95% of what he was saying is complete fabricated bull ****.

There is no way in hell the Avs have given up on Varly after 1.5 seasons after paying a 1st and 2nd round pick for the guy.

Dater just made himself look extremely dumb saying that, and I am usually a defender of Dater.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:45 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 123
Yeah, gotta say I'm way more pissed that some hotels (usually the ones that give off a pretentious stink) are still nickle-and-diming customers with the internet charges and add-ons.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I think that statement by Dater just proves 95% of what he was saying is complete fabricated bull ****.

There is no way in hell the Avs have given up on Varly after 1.5 seasons after paying a 1st and 2nd round pick for the guy.

Dater just made himself look extremely dumb saying that, and I am usually a defender of Dater.
He did not say that they have given up on him.
He just said that he thinks that our FO/coaching staff believes that Varly has quit. They might not tolerate this. But they might as well just play Giggy/Aittokallio/Pickard for the rest of the season and give him a new chance next year.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Iceberg
IWantRoyAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Varly and Anderson analysis is sooo much Dater drama. Varly does not look like Anderson did after goals. Varly looks ****ed off.

He looks like any of us would when it seems like we have hit a stretch where NOTHING seems to be going our way. He's frustrated and its been a snowball that he and the rest of this team has experienced this season.
I bet he is pissed off because he realizes he still have a year remaining on his contract.

Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Iceberg
IWantRoyAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I seriously doubt Varly has quit on the team. I'm sure his confidence is rattled and he has no trust in the team in front of him, and rightfully so. He is still the guy going forward, atleast till after the next season.

Dater has never liked EJ, and seems to be one of the biggest stat watchers. Constantly bringing up Stewart, Shattenkirk, and Anderson's stats. I'm not really sure he could identify a good hockey player if he didn't have a player card in front of him.

Zanon never should have got blasted for respecting the team logo.

It seems most players love the organization until their contract is up. Then the ones the Avs deem worthy of keeping continue to love the organization, while the rest are tossed aside and become bitter.

I hope some heads roll this off-season, even just for the idea of shaking up the culture. Makes it seem like the returning players are coming in and looking forward to something new, as opposed to Sacco et al.
Most NHL players seems to love the organization they are playing for. But sometimes that's just a mirage.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, but Zih was the one that said supposedly. Dater said it very matter of fact, and that it was a common gripe among players.
Huh, didn't even realize I introduced unintended uncertainty. I guess I subconsciously don't trust Dater as well But I seem to recall just a few days ago that people were lashing out at TPS because he wasn't able to perfectly predict the future despite being friends with some of the players. It sounds like a lot of fans around here demand inside information on one of the most secretive organizations in sports and then expect 100% accuracy.

But unless someone can produce an incident in which Dater knowingly lied about something hockey related, I think accusing him of fabricating 95% of this is more than a little paranoid. He has on occasion gotten things right, such as forewarning us about the Avs going cheap a few weeks before Smyth got traded, which not a lot of Avs fans believed.

Dater was emphatic on this line: "I KNOW that Varly isn't playing as much lately because they [implied to be coaches] think his body language is bad and that he's quit." I don't think he's making that up from whole cloth. The thing about him not really being hurt and might be traded is clearly just speculation.

Zih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Depends what they get for him.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Depends what they get for him.
If it's a better goalie back without moving any important pieces out... Then go.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Iceberg
IWantRoyAsMyGM

Quote:
If it's a better goalie back without moving any important pieces out... Then go.
Varlamov for Brian Elliott + 2nd.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:50 PM
shadow1

Quote:
They could move him for a non-goalie and juggle the JS Giguere two youngsters from the 2010 Draft class.

But I doubt he's moved. If Greg Sherman somehow keeps his jobs and moves him, my jaw would drop.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Ceremony
The man that you are

Quote:
So, he won't be going.

04-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
Huh, didn't even realize I introduced unintended uncertainty. I guess I subconsciously don't trust Dater as well But I seem to recall just a few days ago that people were lashing out at TPS because he wasn't able to perfectly predict the future despite being friends with some of the players. It sounds like a lot of fans around here demand inside information on one of the most secretive organizations in sports and then expect 100% accuracy.

But unless someone can produce an incident in which Dater knowingly lied about something hockey related, I think accusing him of fabricating 95% of this is more than a little paranoid. He has on occasion gotten things right, such as forewarning us about the Avs going cheap a few weeks before Smyth got traded, which not a lot of Avs fans believed.

Dater was emphatic on this line: "I KNOW that Varly isn't playing as much lately because they [implied to be coaches] think his body language is bad and that he's quit." I don't think he's making that up from whole cloth. The thing about him not really being hurt and might be traded is clearly just speculation.
This is where Dater's speculation rightfully gives him a bad rap. He's just trying to draw a parallel to one of his favorite subjects, the fact they traded Anderson and he's playing well now for the Sens.

Varly's got a bad hip for christs sakes. That's why he's not playing, and who know's how long that's been bothering him. Maybe that had an effect on his play.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:23 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Man, Dater is... not suprising on Twitter.

In his podcast "I'm fine with Landeskog as a captain" "Guys don't really care who is captain" and now after ONE win after Giggy quotes he is all "Giguere should be captain" "why didn't coach/gm/captain step up and say what Giguere did?"

Old
04-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
The big news for me is not Daters analysis. Or his interpretation.
The dude sucks. But he has way more insight than we do.
The interesting part is that it looks like that he got some info on coaching/management believing that Varly "quit". That is very troublesome if you look at what happened to Anderson who also "quit" in their (and our) eyes.
I don't buy it for a moment. We know that Dater just makes **** up whenever he feels like it will get him some more page hits. For every one thing he gets right, he gets a dozen things completely wrong. He's nothing but a sensationalist clownshoe, and right now he knows he has the entire hockey world as an audience so he's going say everything he can, whether or not it has any truth behind it.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
So, he won't be going.
For now at least.

But next years negotiations with him could get interesting again. He certainly hasn't earned a huge payday yet, so if he tries to get one I could see him moved.

We need to lock valry up for 3.5-4.0M next contract for 4-5 years. But if he wants much more then that, I say we move him.

I think Pickard will be an NHL starting goalie in 2 years. He looked good for LEM this year in his rookie year, another year as the work horse down there and he'll be read for Backup duties in the NHL IMO.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Nihiliste

It's hard to take this seriously when the few things he speculates on that can be fact checked are wrong (Gaunce playing, Sherman being gun shy)

And I agree, who gives a **** about the wifi a few years ago.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
For now at least.

But next years negotiations with him could get interesting again. He certainly hasn't earned a huge payday yet, so if he tries to get one I could see him moved.

We need to lock valry up for 3.5-4.0M next contract for 4-5 years. But if he wants much more then that, I say we move him.

I think Pickard will be an NHL starting goalie in 2 years. He looked good for LEM this year in his rookie year, another year as the work horse down there and he'll be read for Backup duties in the NHL IMO.
3,5-4m sounds like a good deal for Varly. I'd say for his current stats etc. He'd be bit overpaid. We would be paying for potential basically. Smaller contract should be enough for him.

Anyway, I see Varly more like 60 games guy in a season. Not 70 games like Brodeur/Kiprusoff etc. I think we are always going to need good back-up, like Giguere with Varly.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
klozge
Avs

I love that the "next Colby Cohen" had such a good game last night. I have to admit that I prefer Dater over a guy on Kroenke's payroll, though. As bad as he is he's at least not trying to sugarcoat everything.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It's hard to take this seriously when the few things he speculates on that can be fact checked are wrong (Gaunce playing, Sherman being gun shy)

And I agree, who gives a **** about the wifi a few years ago.
Exactly, though to take him seriously......IMO

18007 is online now   Reply With Quote