HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th

Old
04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Dubnyk up to 5th in SV%....

hes the only reason we arent clearly in tank mode.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Dubnyk up to 5th in SV%....

hes the only reason we arent clearly in tank mode.
What are you talking about, haven't you seen his GAA it isn't near zero, at all, clearly suckin' the boys down a well. Sure he "saves" alot of "shots", but why can't he do more.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Luo gets dealt to Florida.
Then we deal SS + our first next year + our 2nd this year for Bjugstad and Markstrom. Sign Weiss as a UFA.

Boom! Upgrade at #2C, great #2C prospect, great young 1A potential goalie to play 30 games next season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Koto

i dont know who SS is...but FLA is going no where near that.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
budaj is off the list, re-signed today. Two year extension. $1.4M per year.

Emery is interesting. Could be a guy who gets his stuff together and likes up to the potential. Not likely. Worst case scenario is poor play and poor locker room presence.

Khudobin would be an upgrade in terms of a backup goalie. Not sure if he'd push Dubnyk too hard. At least you would have a good chance of getting 25 - 30 games a season out of him.

Leighton - might be worth a shot.

Sign Nabokov to a cheap 1 year contract. Why would that be worse than the backup situation this season? Nothing strange with questioning Dubies weak goals and mental lapses. But I guess you don't believe people should be allowed to have a difference of opinion.
Have you watched Nabokov play this season? The islanders would be a playoff lock if they had decent goaltending.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Then we deal SS + our first next year + our 2nd this year for Bjugstad and Markstrom. Sign Weiss as a UFA.

Boom! Upgrade at #2C, great #2C prospect, great young 1A potential goalie to play 30 games next season.
Did you mean SG (i.e. Gagner)? That's a plausible deal.
That could be a great move.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i dont know who SS is...but FLA is going no where near that.
Saint Sam Gagner.

Why not. If they get Bobby Luo it could work.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Sign Nabokov to a cheap 1 year contract. Why would that be worse than the backup situation this season?
And why would Nabokov take a pay cut to be a back up in Edmonton?

Quote:
Nothing strange with questioning Dubies weak goals and mental lapses.
It's strange to take those, let's face it, minor issues and build a narrative around them that leads you to some frankly bizarre conclusions.

Quote:
But I guess you don't believe people should be allowed to have a difference of opinion
Oh you are entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to (mod).

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Khabi should be done as an Oiler after this season. But Tambellini seems to take the easy road. His coaching decisions are an example of that.

Lindback has been a bust. I think they figured they had two good prospects already in the system. Roy was very good in the ECHL last year and Bunz was probably the best goalie in the CHL. They also have the two guys in Europe. I was really hoping they get Dansk at the start of the 2nd round. Any of those 3 guys would be good additions but I fear it would cost Paajarvi + and I don't feel they would be ready next year.

I had some interest in giving Mason a fresh start, but he will get destroyed in Philly now. Maybe they grab Jarry with one of their 2nd round picks.

What's your opinion on Enroth?
I havent seen Enroth play enough to have an informed opinion. His numbers this year arent very good. Is that because of his play or a function of their defensive problems?

It is highly likely we start next season with Dubnyk/Khabby. What happens if Dubnyk gets hurt? We know Khabby will be hurt. That's unacceptable for any reasonable thinking person, but probably will be just fine with management.

I really like Jarry and a Lazar/Jarry draft would be fantastic.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hell is frozen before Fla do such a deal! They want touch Loungo, that train has gone or has never existed.

What you can expect from ST off season is what he already does, he sent a goalie coach to the Sel playoffs to study Alexander Salak recently, so a cheap risky backup to Dubie is to expect.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
And why would Nabokov take a pay cut to be a back up in Edmonton?
Opinion is split on this. NYI are a lock to be in the playoffs if he wasn't there starter or there is no way he would take a paycut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
It's strange to take those, let's face it, minor issues and build a narrative around them that leads you to some frankly bizarre conclusions.
Weak goal a game that delates the team is a 'minor issue'? Wouldn't call that bizarre as much as flat out delusional.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:41 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
What are you talking about, haven't you seen his GAA it isn't near zero, at all, clearly suckin' the boys down a well. Sure he "saves" alot of "shots", but why can't he do more.
Nobody's asking for 0.00 GAA or a 1.00 SV%. What's being asked is that he not let in back breakers like the 2-0 Legwand goal or in the last minute or high blocker side. That's not too much to ask.

He is not the only problem, but he is a problem.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

5th in the league in save percentage for starting goalies. 1st world problems.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I havent seen Enroth play enough to have an informed opinion. His numbers this year arent very good. Is that because of his play or a function of their defensive problems?

It is highly likely we start next season with Dubnyk/Khabby. What happens if Dubnyk gets hurt? We know Khabby will be hurt. That's unacceptable for any reasonable thinking person, but probably will be just fine with management.

I really like Jarry and a Lazar/Jarry draft would be fantastic.
Jarry will be nowhere close to helping a pro team for a few years. Does ZIP in the short term, & hes a wild card to ever do anything ever.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Come on, man, I know you don't believe stats are be all end all...right?

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Jarry will be nowhere close to helping a pro team for a few years. Does ZIP in the short term, & hes a wild card to ever do anything ever.
Where did I say he would be in the lineup immediately?

He would still be a good pickup.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:15 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Not all stats, just save percentage. GAA and record in the shootout, those don't tell you anything. If they did there wouldn't be anywhere near the love for Dubnyk as there is here.

Quote:
Uhhh, HFboards is all FWP.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Nope, but it holds a lot more ground then repeating that Dubnyk lets in soft goals that deflate our team game in and game out when thats maybe happened 3 times this year in games our team did not show up at all in.

He's improved a lot from the past 2 years in letting a weak one go in, while having one of the best sv% and faces 30+ shots a night

Keep hating

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Weak goal a game that delates the team is a 'minor issue'? Wouldn't call that bizarre as much as flat out delusional.
FALSE

stop making **** up

Old
04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Nope, but it holds a lot more ground then repeating that Dubnyk lets in soft goals that deflate our team game in and game out when thats maybe happened 3 times this year in games our team did not show up at all in.
Really? Wow, that's just not paying attention.

March 25th - Second goal allowed vs. Nashville
March 7th - First goal against Detroit. Held firm in the first, easy goal to start the second opened the flood gates.
March 3rd The easy wrister to start the third vs. Minnesota

All three games the team "showed up".

We can go back to February and January games if you really want.

What's the line now? Maybe five games with weak goals? Seven? At some point they become inexcusable.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Musashi

Yes, the game they failed to record a shot in 2nd period they really showed up

Old
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
When it fits the narrative ...

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Opinion is split on this. NYI are a lock to be in the playoffs if he wasn't there starter or there is no way he would take a paycut.
Regardless, I've had my fill of over-the-hill Russians, thanks. Cheap backups are a dime a dozen in this league. If you want a name, I'll throw out JS Giguere for the fun of it.

Quote:
I assume you mean deflates. But yeah, you've done a pretty poor job establishing these weak goals as an actual major concern in reality, moreso than the team in front's inability to generate any shots and prevent shots against (DD has faced the 8th most shots in the league while playing the third fewest minutes of any goalie who has appeared in more than 30 games).

Anyway, like I said: with 73 goals against it shouldn't be that hard to sift through them all and isolate the softies. Of course if you wanted to be fair, you should also mention the good chances he actually stopped, but that would hardly suit your narrative.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:26 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

March 7th - First goal against Detroit. Held firm in the first, easy goal to start the second opened the flood gates.

What's the line now? Maybe five games with weak goals? Seven? At some point they become inexcusable.
In the Detroit game the whole team mailed it in. They only got to OT because of Dubnyk standing on his head late. The first goal was a redonkulus backhand by Filppula off the cross bar and in. The tying goal was Petry shooting the rebound into his own net

The Nashville goal was in no way his fault. It was all Gagner who left Klein WIDE open for an easy goal.

The Minny goal was Koivu (their best offensive zone player) left all alone in the slot on te rush. Not a bad goal.

You have no clue what a bad goal is. I am done discussing this with you as you clearly have a major bias against Dubnyk and cannot have a respectful discussion with anyone about it. You were probably hoping no one would actually look at the goals you referenced. Now you look even more biased and uneducated in regards to goaltending and hockey in general. You couldnt even come up with one single weak goal that he let in that "deflated" the team.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
actionjackson

Quote:

Sooo...the team "showed up" but couldn't take any of those three games into their own hands and needed to rely on Dubnyk? This is a running theme win or loss...goalie needs to stand on his head every night...and doesn't dare let the first goal in or the team will fold like a cheap tent...

Where are these offensive dynamos at to score some goals and re-inflate the team? (ok...they can "show up" against an AHL level Calgary and "pad their stats" too...)

Good TEAMS rally, regain momentum and get back in the game (Chicago when we got 4 early)...bad teams pick up their toys and go home (see the Oilers of last year, and the previous 2)

Again, I am not ready to give up on a guy with a poor system and low quality defence in front of him...a guy who will very likely set the Oilers record for save percentage over a single season (with * of course)

Even if his overall performance IS inexcuseable (which is a country mile stretch as you have already said he is a starter in the 11-20 ranking range)

and

Dubnyk HAS cost us points (which is again not likely/worthy of debate as you present arguements against, but never for Dubnyk)

Then what?

I have presented virtually every realistic available option in Emery, Khudobin and Leighton (Budaj now locked up as well)...the few others that there is a sliver of a hope of getting?

Nobody in our system is ready to challenge Dubnyk...so who else?

Scrivens?
Luongo if by some miracle he is bought out, or we want to take on his albatross of a contract?
Anyone else?

I can see crapping on Khabi...he is done, offers nothing moving forward and possibly has about 1-3 games left in his entire career (I hope here in Edmonton at very least). Dubnyk is without a doubt NHL quality and has proven it this year...I would LOVE an upgrade, but until it happens...Dubnyk is hardly the turd that his detractors have made him out to be.

Enjoy the rest of the season crapping on this guy...I am sure he will light it up at the World Championships for you if you need another look at him in the off-season...

(yes that is ...and I appreciate your views even if they are not mine!!!)

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote