HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do people keep saying Sedins time is coming to an end?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:54 AM
cotillion

vCash: 500
teehee. the sedins have a good 5-7 years left as top 6 guys.

oh and gsp > silva

cotillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:17 AM
ProstheticConscience
Rough on the Beaver

vCash: 50
People say that because if the people who want the Sedins to fail say it long enough, eventually they'll be right.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:49 AM
lush
@jasonlush

In my opinion it depends on the context. If you believe that for the Canucks to win a cup they need Art Ross caliber forwards on their top line, and knowing the Sedins will (if they haven't already) become something less than that, you're likely to point that out.

If you think that we have some good young talent in the wings, and that the Sedins can happily continue into their late 30's as productive top 6 guys, with the need for more and more secondary scoring each passing year, you're probably less concerned.

But I think there is legitimate concern that the team won't employ all-star forwards, Art Ross caliber players and that's necessary to win a cup, you're worried

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Karter

It's actually super simple,

Haters gunna hate.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Because no Canucks fans actually want to remain positive so we want to poo-poo on the possibility of having the twins around for another 5-7 years.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

At the end of their current contract they'll be a couple of months away from 35. Depending on if the Canucks are still realistically considered contenders, I can see them going home to play for a couple of years. Not saying it's likely, It just wouldn't surprise me. Re-siging in Vancouver for anything over two years would surprise me.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
LeftCoast

I don't think there is anything urgent, and they will almost certainly re-sign for another 3 or 4 years. However there are other factors to consider.

1. I wouldn't class the Sedins as generational, but they are certainly elite players. In each draft, there are maybe 1 or 2 players that have the potential to have the kind of impact that Henrik and Daniel have.

2. Their production has fallen off of their peak (100 - 110pts). IMO, a successful NHL top line has to have an 80+ point play maker and a 30 goal scorer. The Sedins right now are right on the edge of that. I think their numbers are down a bit this season due to the lack of a pre-season and period of games where, due to injury, the Canucks played a very safe, defensive oriented game. But I would be pleasantly surprised if they have another 100 point season between them.

3. If the Sedins become a 2nd line, is the Ryan Kesler line a first line? That remains to be seen. If Kesler can return to his 2010-11 form, and Kassian can become a 25 - 30 goal power forward, and one of Higgins, Hansen, Raymond can consistently put up 25 goals, possibly. But RK17 finishes almost every season injured (broken jaw, broken finger, hip/labrum, shoulder ...).

4. I like our prospects, but realistically, we don't have a single prospect who is a sure fire top line forward. But that I mean someone who can carry a line and put up 80+ points and/or 30+ goals. Jensen could be a 1st line player, but as a winger, he is not going to carry the line offensively. Gaunce - looks really good as an overage junior, but it's a little early to slap a C on his chest and expect 80 points out of him. Jordan Schroeder looks to be a 2nd/3rd line center, who if he continues to develop on both sides of the puck, could be a future Derek Roy (a 1st/2nd tweener). Kellan Lain - seems to have 3rd line centre stamped on his forehead.

5. Anyone we draft this spring is likely to be 3 years away from having an impact. Because of our depth, we don't need to rush players or put them into situations where they will fail. However, when there is a deep draft, like this one is expected to be, you have to think to the future of our offense (and our defense as well).

6. Duh - there are 2 of them. As they have always played together, their production is pretty much in lock step. It is reasonable to assume that their skills deteriorate at the same pace, so when 1 of them retires, they likely both retire.

So considering all that, we do need to plan for succession - over the next 3 years, we need to have players who can step up and challenge the Sedins for top line minutes and roles.

Last edited by LeftCoast: 04-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.
LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Wizeman*

I think the Twins have a couple of peak years left in them , and then can settle into second line duty for a year or so.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
GrogZilla

Originally Posted by Beziro
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up.

GrogZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
The Sedins hit their peak a lot later than most elite players. Gretzky, for instance, started declining offensively at 25. Of course, most players wished they had a decline like his.
I'd argue he had the most noticeable decline after that puke Gary Suter gave him that cheapshot. His back was never the same.

And for the "repeat performance", Gary Suter gave another cheapshot that likely shortened Paul Kariya's career (he was never the same afterwards).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up.
This actually makes sense for them. Instead of signing a 3-4 year deal, just go with one-off contracts and then bail to Sweden when the team needs to rebuild.

Siludin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Garth Butcher

The sedins are not physical players and are smart players. there is no reason they can not keep playing longer then most NHL players do. as a whole the sedins have had a lot less injuries then most. correct me if I'm wrong but one has the 3rd longest active iron man streak going now. only question is do they wanna keep playing for years to come or do they want to go home and play for modo.

Last edited by Garth Butcher: 04-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Garth Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
How much of a pay cut? On a 1 year deal I'd be happy with $5M, though $4M (and I'd even give a few years with that) would be extremely ideal and allow us to add another $4M player to our roster.

04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Unless the Canucks add another top offensive Dman like Ehrhoff I think the Sedins days of being scoring champs are probably behind them. But to say that they are old and on the decline is kind of a simplified version of the wishful thinking you see from CalPuck. Their game strikes me as the kind that will age well and if they are surrounded by complimentary players I think they'll be point per game players until their late 30s.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
4th line energy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
They're still 32. If a guy like Iginla could pot 40G+ and be PPG at 35 then I don't see why ironmen like the Sedins can't.
Actually, Iginla is 35 this year. He did that when he was 33.

4th line energy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th line energy guy View Post
Actually, Iginla is 35 this year. He did that when he was 33.
Oh, thought he was already 37.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE

vCash: 558
They were slow and choked under pressure to begin with. Now they're in visible decline this season and noticeably not as dominant against lousy teams. It's time to begin building around a new core. Although I will be curious to see how the Sedins play next season with a complete training camp and a reasonable schedule.

FacepalmBenning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The way Sedins play will allow them to play until their 40 years without missing a beat. Their game doesn't rely on speed, they're just extremely smart players that are dedicated to train every off-season. Their career stops when they no longer have the heart to play anymore and just want to relax.
Sedin's don't strike as a pair that will play until they're 40. I have no doubt they would be able to play until this age but as soon as they drop off from being 1st line players I can very easily see them retiring (perhaps in 4 years from now)

EDIT: Also at the start of this season I made sure every time I watch a Canucks game I appreciate what the Sedin's do. Because I know we'll miss them when they're gone. Soak it all in now, they are something special

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How much of a pay cut? On a 1 year deal I'd be happy with $5M, though $4M (and I'd even give a few years with that) would be extremely ideal and allow us to add another $4M player to our roster.
Backed off the whole "I will be happy when they are traded for Olli Jokinen" thing I see.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Dado

vCash:
The Sedins may be at peak physical condition for 32 year olds, but it's just plain biology that peak 32 is lower than peak 25 (barring medical issues).

They are still very good hockey players and there is no reason to suspect they won't be for a while yet.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotillion View Post
teehee. the sedins have a good 5-7 years left as top 6 guys.

oh and gsp > silva
GSP is 31

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
Haters gunna hate.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Backed off the whole "I will be happy when they are traded for Olli Jokinen" thing I see.
Except I never said that. Why do you keep coming up with things that blatantly aren't true?

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
silvercanuck

They're looking less identical and more fraternal every day.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote