HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI trying to get to Brooklyn in 2014-2015

Old
04-09-2013, 08:39 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorzNYI View Post
The difference though is that the Isles contend Nassau has been derelict of upkeep at the Coli and have stopped paying rent because of that.

Nassau wants cash. They will take a settlement for a buyout over having to refurb the coliseum to keep the rent coming in.

Also - the land around the coliseum is very valuable as one of the only parts of Nassau Real Estate that can be developed -- Nassau, I believe wants to move on and start life without the Isles as soon as possible.
We also had the Milsteins take the County to court, trying to break the lease with the argument that the arena wasn't safe.

I agree the County wants cash and to move onto developing the land. I just don't expect it'll turn nasty enough to land in court. Why should it, when both sides want to move on?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Be a smart move by the Islanders, the quicker they can get out of their current stadium the better.

04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
blamebettman*

But what about the brooklyn arena itself...don't some adjustments need to be made to the seating layout before the Isles move in?

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

NYIslanders 8:34am via HootSuite BREAKING NEWS - #Isles to play first #NHL game at @barclayscenter in preseason game on Sept. 21, 2013 v. #NJDevils. nyisl.es/jTzog

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Lets see how hockey work at Barclays. Cant wait.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
But what about the brooklyn arena itself...don't some adjustments need to be made to the seating layout before the Isles move in?
the source in the article, was quoted saying next season was too soon for the move because “Too much work to be done heading into Barclays.”

I thought that meant they needed to get a locker room built for the NYI, get those extra 500-1,000 seats squeezed in and ramp up the advertising/tix sales push.

Isles have sent their ice girls and mascot to Brooklyn school events. I'm guessing that this summer and next season, will see the players doing Brooklyn fan events.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
CREW99AW

Isles feeling the fans out, about a name and logo change.
http://riverheadnewsreview.timesrevi...iform-changes/

“It was really about the move and about what kind of jersey they’re going to have,” the resident said of the focus group. “They were really pushing to lose the orange color and be like the old Brooklyn Dodgers.”

The fan said that though he was open to the change, all the other people in the focus group were against it.

“Everyone else was like ‘I hate it,’ ” he said. “People didn’t want any changes. Everyone loves it and no one wants [the jersey] to change.”

The focus group, which he said was run by IC International, also asked how fans felt about teams with celebrity owners.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles feeling the fans out, about a name and logo change.
http://riverheadnewsreview.timesrevi...iform-changes/

“It was really about the move and about what kind of jersey they’re going to have,” the resident said of the focus group. “They were really pushing to lose the orange color and be like the old Brooklyn Dodgers.”

The fan said that though he was open to the change, all the other people in the focus group were against it.

“Everyone else was like ‘I hate it,’ ” he said. “People didn’t want any changes. Everyone loves it and no one wants [the jersey] to change.”

The focus group, which he said was run by IC International, also asked how fans felt about teams with celebrity owners.
If the Gorton's disaster is good for anything, it was good at making Islanders fans wary of change for change's sake.

If they're going to ask Isles fans about that, I expect the results are going to be overwhelmingly along the lines of "don't touch a damn thing"...if they ask Brooklyn hipsters who aren't going to go to games...well...

Wanting the team to tie together to a baseball team that left nearly 60 years ago is a bit...weird...especially because the Brooklyn Dodgers really weren't that successful of a franchise.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:08 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
If the Gorton's disaster is good for anything, it was good at making Islanders fans wary of change for change's sake.

If they're going to ask Isles fans about that, I expect the results are going to be overwhelmingly along the lines of "don't touch a damn thing"...if they ask Brooklyn hipsters who aren't going to go to games...well...

Wanting the team to tie together to a baseball team that left nearly 60 years ago is a bit...weird...especially because the Brooklyn Dodgers really weren't that successful of a franchise.
When I read that article, I didn't come away thinking they want to be tied to the old Brooklyn Dodgers. I thought they want to drop the orange color in their current jersey, while keeping the blue and white. Those old Brooklyn Dodger colors.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
When I read that article, I didn't come away thinking they want to be tied to the old Brooklyn Dodgers. I thought they want to drop the orange color in their current jersey, while keeping the blue and white. Those old Brooklyn Dodger colors.

Yeah, I understood what they were going for...but correct me if I'm wrong, the blue is already a bit of an homage to the Dodgers (indirectly...the Islanders borrowed the colors of the Mets, who's colors combined the two baseball teams that left for California in the 50s - the blue of the Dodgers and the orange of the Giants).

I don't think there's a situation where the Islanders would go for that, though, considering there's already two teams in the same conference with strict blue and white color schemes.

To be fair, I would not mind the Islanders introducing a script that borrowed the Brooklyn Dodgers font (i.e. be the same damn thing) and roll with an alternate jersey built around that...but they just can't ditch the orange.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 04-10-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Yeah, I understood what they were going for...but correct me if I'm wrong, the blue is already a bit of an homage to the Dodgers (indirectly...the Islanders borrowed the colors of the Mets, who's colors combined the two baseball teams that left for California in the 50s - the blue of the Dodgers and the orange of the Giants).

I don't think there's a situation where the Islanders would go for that, though, considering there's already two teams in the same conference with strict blue and white color schemes.

To be fair, I would not mind the Islanders introducing a script that borrowed the Brooklyn Dodgers font (i.e. be the same damn thing) and roll with an alternate jersey built around that...but they just can't ditch the orange.
The Islanders colors come from the two counties that make up Long Island.

Nassau: Orange
Suffolk: Blue

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Interesting, thanks for that. That's an odd coincidence, then.

So, again correct me if I'm wrong, the three teams in New York that use those colors use them for entirely different reasons.

Mets for the throwback to the departed NY baseball teams, Islanders for the two non-NYC borough Long Island counties, and the Knicks for the colors of New York City. That just blew my mind for some reason.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for that. That's an odd coincidence, then.

So, again correct me if I'm wrong, the three teams in New York that use those colors use them for entirely different reasons.

Mets for the throwback to the departed NY baseball teams, Islanders for the two non-NYC borough Long Island counties, and the Knicks for the colors of New York City. That just blew my mind for some reason.

Sorta kinda. Anything orange in New York ultimately comes down to New York's connection to the New Netherlands colony.

Brooklyn; Knickerbocker; Nassau; Bronx, all used to be Dutch names.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Sorta kinda. Anything orange in New York ultimately comes down to New York's connection to the New Netherlands colony.

Brooklyn; Knickerbocker; Nassau; Bronx, all used to be Dutch names.
Exactly, all the orange in New York can strictly be tied to the Dutch

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Exactly, all the orange in New York can strictly be tied to the Dutch
But there is a bit of an English connection... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England
Quote:
William III & II (Dutch: Willem III; 4 November 1650 – 8 March 1702)[1] was a sovereign Prince of Orange of the House of Orange-Nassau by birth. From 1672 he governed as Stadtholder William III of Orange (Dutch: Willem III van Oranje) over Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Gelderland, and Overijssel of the Dutch Republic. From 1689 he reigned as William III over England and Ireland; it is a coincidence that his regnal number (III) was the same for both Orange and England. As King of Scotland, he is known as William II.[2] He is informally known by sections of the population in Northern Ireland and Scotland as "King Billy".[3] In what became known as the "Glorious Revolution", on 5 November 1688 William invaded England in an action that ultimately deposed King James II & VII and won him the crowns of England, Scotland and Ireland. In the British Isles, William ruled jointly with his wife, Mary II, until her death on 28 December 1694. The period of their joint reign is often referred to as "William and Mary".

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
William III was a Dutch royal who came to the throne in England because of his wife...

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
CREW99AW

One of the reasons I think the isles want to move in 2014-2015, instead of next season, is to give Ratner time to have those 500-1,000 extra seats added, along with a new locker room.

Below's an estimate of what those arena changes will cost.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...Islanders.aspx
Published October 29, 2012

Despite the “additional costs of some off-season construction, this deal still makes financial sense to the Barclays Center.” An arena spokesperson said, “We may add in premium seats behind the goal.” There also would be the expense of adding a locker room. Two sources said that Barclays had “hired an engineering firm to see how expensive it would be to accommodate more hockey fans.” It is expected to cost roughly $25M. The spokesperson “described the costs as negligible and said it was less than $25 million, declining to give specifics”

Old
04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

I really hope this happens. I hate watching the games on TV that are in the Coliseum, I bet the Barclay's Center would be much more vibrant on a TV.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Are the plans to expand the arena buy a few hundred seats for hockey firm or was it more of we're gonnna look into it.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Are the plans to expand the arena buy a few hundred seats for hockey firm or was it more of we're gonnna look into it.
The way Bettman and Wang, responded to the question of extra seats at the Brooklyn presser, it sounds like Ratner has told them he'll get 500-1000 more seats in.

In a recent Newsday fanchat, Staple said he expects it'll be 15,000. that's 500 extra seats.

Moving from Nassau to Brooklyn, the isles lose roughly 1200 regular seats and gain about 70 luxury suites.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:00 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

The jersey idea sounds like a good idea for a 3rd jersey. Blue and white jersey with the Brooklyn script except with Islanders in it's place. Would be interesting imo.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Beg to differ.

Nassau is a Dutch name.
Orange and Blue are Dutch colors.

Cheers!
-Doug

dstoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
No, you don't *need* to, and I didn't suggest otherwise.

I'm just saying that IF you do, there is a whole lot of marketing/revenue greenfield out there. I will never be a fan of the NYI - but I have strong emotional/business ties to Brooklyn so even though I am three time zones away, I *would* in fact adopt a Brooklyn hockey team as my "home away from home".

But it's got to be "Brooklyn Islanders" (or whatever), slapping a Brooklyn logo onto NYI ain't gonna cut for me.
New York Islanders of Brooklyn.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
CREW99AW

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta‏@ChrisBottaNHL1h
In interviewing Brett Yormark at #sbjsff, my take is you'll see more black and white in #Isles merch when they get to Brooklyn.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
CREW99AW

Wang responds to questions about a jersey change.

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/324909366664908800
Wang: Islanders name, main color scheme will remain the same. No overhaul change along those lines coming. #sbjsff
8:36 AM - 18 Apr 13