HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Even strength offence

Old
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
PF

vCash: 500
Even strength offence

For all the talk of goaltending being abysmal and us having horrendous team defense I don't think I've seen enough discussion about our offence at Even Strength and how it contributes to our problems. I know people have commented in other places about not scoring enough to get it done but inevitably it's been swallowed up by the ongoing goalie debates in the threads here.

We are 24th in the league for Even Strength goals and 2nd in the league for Power Play goals.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't played much hockey in my life, I know what I know from watching games online. My knowledge could be a bit lacking when it comes down to the detailed tactics of the game.

We dump the puck, get in behind the goal and cycle it ad nauseum, other teams know this and know how we utilize our defense to pinch up the wall and try and hold the puck in. It's hard to score 5 on 5 when your forwards are spending 90% of their time in the zone facing the boards and not the opposition goal. It worked last year to be fair and we were 6th in the league in Even Strength goalscoring but clearly it isn't working any more. I'd also point out that there appears to be little variation in how we attack depending on which line is on the ice, all our lines work offence the same way - this makes it easier to juggle personnel across lines I'm sure but I think our offence needs a bit of variety. The way we play has been the way we play for the tenure of Laviolette and I think it's getting stale.

Our offence is being bailed out by having a top powerplay unit but that's just papering over the cracks, our 5 on 5 scoring is bad.

I actually also think this style of play contributes to holding back a player like Couturier offensively. He's a good passer but it's hard to express that when you're cycling off the boards, getting it to the point for a shot and hoping for deflections in front. On the other hand I think it's a pretty good system for a guy like Simmonds.

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this area of the Flyers game. While I've been writing I've been wondering what solution there might be, as Laviolette seems set in his style would it be the kind of thing that would only change with a new coach or does anyone think Laviolette might adapt? I haven't seen much indication that he can or that he is willing to.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

We need some PMD, whenever we gather the puck in our end it takes us 2-3 passes just to get out of our zone. It always seems to be such a cluster **** back there, by the time the puck is into the neutral zone the whole team is already back defending where the only thing you can do is dump and chase.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Statistically, the Flyers are near the top in both PP and PK but near the bottom 5 on 5. At least they were last time I looked, which wasn't long ago. The lack of defensemen other than Timonen who can move the puck (skating, passing, whatever) affects 5 on 5 play especially. It's a struggle for the Flyers just to get the puck out of their own zone, let alone through the neutral zone.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
GTopCheese

I would imagine our ES play would be better if we randomly didn't get pinned in our zone for long stretches of time multiple times a game.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Brayden Pattison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Statistically, the Flyers are near the top in both PP and PK but near the bottom 5 on 5. At least they were last time I looked, which wasn't long ago. The lack of defensemen other than Timonen who can move the puck (skating, passing, whatever) affects 5 on 5 play especially. It's a struggle for the Flyers just to get the puck out of their own zone, let alone through the neutral zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
We need some PMD, whenever we gather the puck in our end it takes us 2-3 passes just to get out of our zone. It always seems to be such a cluster **** back there, by the time the puck is into the neutral zone the whole team is already back defending where the only thing you can do is dump and chase.
Agreed. Also, beyond Timonen and Gus, the D is an offensive black hole.
They can't force the turnovers that lead to line rushes, they can't keep the puck in when they do pinch, and they have trouble shooting the puck on net from the point(not so much Schenn on the last one).

Brayden Pattison is offline   Reply With Quote