HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Boo hoo hoo.. Stop protecting your little boy?

Eller has been playing well for months and very consistent, meanwhile your little boy gets all the chance in the world to produce but can barely outplay and outproduce Eller.

Go laugh at Eller in his thread all you want but fact is Eller is playing way better than Desharnais and everybody knows it, the fans know it, the coach knows it, the media know it.. except you of course.
Okay...
Why do I get to read such prejorative comments about a player who actually plays for the team that the poster is supposed to be a fan of?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I disagree. For all of his career, DD had as main motivation to prove to doubters wrong. Nothing was ever handed to him easily because of his size so he had to work harder than anyone else to achieve his goal.

Now with that contract, he's more comfortable than he ever was and he seems to struggle finding the same sense of urgency that he always had and needed before.

That is why I think he should be held accountable and be demoted and, ultimately, benched if he doesn't right the ship. I think it would make him realize that his situation is still fragile and maybe he's get back that lost sense of urgency.
Exactly this. DD now has $14M guaranteed, his lifetime goals are set. He can thank RDS, Gaston Therrien and Michel Bergeron for pumping his tires.

In the mean time...why risk life and limb going in against guys 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier?

Comfortable and un-motivated, DD has become our new Gomez!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
To be honest I don't even know what he was trying to say, maybe he just wanted to state the obvious? Does being a first round pick make him a better player than Desharnais, no. We watch the games and make our opinion from that, I think Eller fits our scheme more than Desharnais does and when Galchenyuk is ready to take that #1 center spot DD is good as gone IMO.
That 4-year contract is an inconvenient obstacle, isn't it?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Okay...
Why do I get to read such prejorative comments about a player who actually plays for the team that the poster is supposed to be a fan of?
Eller is his big boy.

Some people have their favourites and get threatened if their favourite might lose their spot on the team long term.

Price - Halak: Heated argument where the bigger fans of one player found fault in the other and were threatened that their favourite will lose his spot on the team.

Eller - Desharnais: Plekanec and Galchenyuk have two of the top 3 center spots locked long term. Galchenyuk is the future/Habs prized forward, they see him as a center, and only a matter of time before he gets the role. Plekanec has already been in the organization for a decade+, leader, consistent, proven, and signed long term. That leaves one of Eller and DD...if you remember Price vs Halak, you'd understand this isn't mere xenophobia.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That 4-year contract is an inconvenient obstacle, isn't it?
Read the earlier posts, he's easily tradeable if it comes to that. His contract is very affordable.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

Eller - Desharnais: Plekanec and Galchenyuk have two of the top 3 center spots locked long term. Galchenyuk is the future/Habs prized forward, they see him as a center, and only a matter of time before he gets the role. Plekanec has already been in the organization for a decade+, leader, consistent, proven, and signed long term. That leaves one of Eller and DD...if you remember Price vs Halak, you'd understand this isn't mere xenophobia.
That mostly isn't.

My point is that there are too much fans of this team -- an especially on these boards -- that are more fans of individuals than fans of a team. Or, actually, of THE team.

Which is funny, considering that this mentality (individual over team) is the exact opposite of why this current edition is actually successful.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Nickname Pending

Quote:
Read the earlier posts, he's easily tradeable if it comes to that. His contract is very affordable.
Exactly. For all the grief that the management gets for letting assets go with no return, this is exactly why they should realize that DD was signed. It's all about asset control. For the first time in years, there is great centre depth with this team both now and projecting over the next five years.

If Chuckie develops into the top line centre we are expecting, then that gives lots of flexibility with the remaining roster. We have Eller and Plek, who can both play that two way role. As Plek gets to 2015, he'll be probably be playing even more of a shutdown role (he'll be 33 for 2015-16 season). If Chuckie progresses, then there simply isn't room for DD to play those sheltered minutes with limited defensive zone starts in one or two seasons from now.

But if my guess is right, then with DD signed, it gives depth and time for Chuckie to develop. Keep the centre position as a deep roster spot, and then use those assets to fill out gaps in the roster as they show up down the road. DD would be useful to many teams that have depleted depth down the middle. But right now, there is no problem with having Plek, DD, Chuckie, Eller, Halpern, and White all on the roster.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:17 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
I think, the time has come to split DD and Pacioretty.

DD would benefit from playing with a player who gets to the net and create space. Pacioretty isn't doing it right now, he's playing a sniper kind of game. The result is that we usually find DD in the slot, screening the goalie and trying to deflect pucks which isn't exactly where he should be.

I think Prust, even if way less talented than Pacioretty, would be a better fit right now with DD and Gallagher and might help them produce more. At least, I'd give it a try.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
I just pray bergervin knows hes made a mistake with DD and that he will be looking to ship him in the coming years

not RIGHT away, he'd get drilled by certain people, but soon, DD's gotta go

Its amazing how our 2 worst players at the moment ARE ALSO 5"6, ..imagine how much better this team would be with them gone

i mean if your playing like crap, at least 6"2 people have SOMe kind of a presence out there,

DD's just killing me, game after game after game

i KNEW this would happen, the second he made the NHL, ..yaaayy yeah im happy for him and he worked hard to make it but GOD i prayed they would see he wasnt the GUY to keep around and sure enough, blam, another 4 years....

what a drag.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

About that line, could it be that they miss Cole? At least the Cole of last year? That line had two big work horse with DD finishing their work. Size matters and I think we'll miss Cole come playoff time.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I disagree. For all of his career, DD had as main motivation to prove to doubters wrong. Nothing was ever handed to him easily because of his size so he had to work harder than anyone else to achieve his goal.

Now with that contract, he's more comfortable than he ever was and he seems to struggle finding the same sense of urgency that he always had and needed before.

That is why I think he should be held accountable and be demoted and, ultimately, benched if he doesn't right the ship. I think it would make him realize that his situation is still fragile and maybe he's get back that lost sense of urgency.
That would make sense if DD wasn't struggling before, but the reality is he's been under performing since the start of the season, long before his extension.

Not sure if he should get demoted, I'd rather try him on the wing and see how he does. You can keep him in the top 6 as a winger.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
About that line, could it be that they miss Cole? At least the Cole of last year? That line had two big work horse with DD finishing their work. Size matters and I think we'll miss Cole come playoff time.
I don't think there's any team that won't miss a hulking 200+lb 35 goal scorer. Problem is, it's looking like that was a bit of an illusion.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think signing him in the middle of a season was a mistake because it is a distraction and I don't see him in the team's plans 4 years down the line. I guess he could have made more in the off-season, but he's worth roughly what he signed for.

It's hard to call signing a player at their value a mistake though. Desharnais is playing like a $3.5M player.

What IS a mistake is Desharnais getting PP time right now at the expense of Eller and Galchenyuk, and what is also a mistake is Desharnais and Pacioretty being chained to the hip despite their so called chemistry leading to neither one producing.

Both of those can be blamed on Therrien though, not Bergevin or even Desharnais himself. MT has exceeded my expectations this year but he's not perfect, and this is the best example of that.
I agree with you on this.

Very good post. Galchenyuk and Eller should be getting a shot on the PP based on results.

I dont think that his contract signing is a distraction for the players or the team. There is no reason for the players to be upset about it since DD is a team player and it is not an outrageous contract that would cause dissent among the team.

The only distraction caused by that signing is with a certain portion of the fanbase. With that said, fans being distracted is irrelevant.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

Well, seems like people have an agenda. So be it. For context, I've never gone on the Eller thread to disrespect those who see him as a 70 point guy. I have a different opinion but I like Eller. I don't see the existence of one as a problem for the other. These guys are here for the good of the team. I'm a DD fan but primarily a habs fan. I want the team to win. As I see it, all our members of the team are helping the team to win, some more than others! Still, I like the team, I like these guys and when an upgrade comes I'll gladly accept the loss of a player I respect. I've never said DD deserves to be on PP or deserves top 6 ice time. I haven't seen many DD fans demand much in regards to DD. The only thing I can possibly say is that I think he deserves a spot on the team. I think he helps us win but is inconsistent and hasn't been playing up to his standards. Still, the crap he gets is mind boggling. I'll never understand how signing a top 9 forward for 3.5 min after a 60 point season is a 'mistake'. Anyway, to each their own but I take many opinions with a grain of salt. Of course, there's probably many who do the same for mine.

FWIW, I enjoy talking to the ones who have been very objective but this thread seems more about proving people wrong with selective stats and biased opinions than it is about discussing the reality and alternatives. Apparently if a guy doesn't play like a stud for 12 games he should be bought out. That's what we've come to. Change line? Switch PP time? Absolutely but we're going to extreme alternatives.

People need to relax. It's 3.5 per. It's embarrassing. It's the going rate for a top 9 forward and if DD was on pace for 60 points again no way he gets only 3.5. He'd get 4.5. So honestly, Bergevin didn't make a mistake. His less than dominant season factored in and he got market value.

That being said, guy needs to be better! I'd rather support our players and cheer them on. This is who we're going into playoffs with. I hope they continue to support each other and all lines are doing well for the stretch and playoffs.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Keep the conversation classy. No ad hominems. And we're not steering the conversation in the 'he's only here because he's local/everyone hates him because he's local' direction. If the crux of your argument relies on basically calling others bigots, go peddle your wares somewhere else.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:51 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, seems like people have an agenda. So be it. For context, I've never gone on the Eller thread to disrespect those who see him as a 70 point guy. I have a different opinion but I like Eller. I don't see the existence of one as a problem for the other. These guys are here for the good of the team. I'm a DD fan but primarily a habs fan. I want the team to win. As I see it, all our members of the team are helping the team to win, some more than others! Still, I like the team, I like these guys and when an upgrade comes I'll gladly accept the loss of a player I respect. I've never said DD deserves to be on PP or deserves top 6 ice time. I haven't seen many DD fans demand much in regards to DD. The only thing I can possibly say is that I think he deserves a spot on the team. I think he helps us win but is inconsistent and hasn't been playing up to his standards. Still, the crap he gets is mind boggling. I'll never understand how signing a top 9 forward for 3.5 min after a 60 point season is a 'mistake'. Anyway, to each their own but I take many opinions with a grain of salt. Of course, there's probably many who do the same for mine.

FWIW, I enjoy talking to the ones who have been very objective but this thread seems more about proving people wrong with selective stats and biased opinions than it is about discussing the reality and alternatives. Apparently if a guy doesn't play like a stud for 12 games he should be bought out. That's what we've come to. Change line? Switch PP time? Absolutely but we're going to extreme alternatives.

People need to relax. It's 3.5 per. It's embarrassing. It's the going rate for a top 9 forward and if DD was on pace for 60 points again no way he gets only 3.5. He'd get 4.5. So honestly, Bergevin didn't make a mistake. His less than dominant season factored in and he got market value.

That being said, guy needs to be better! I'd rather support our players and cheer them on. This is who we're going into playoffs with. I hope they continue to support each other and all lines are doing well for the stretch and playoffs.
Alot of the comments here haven't been about buying out Desharnais, I'm not a big fan of the guy but I don't go out of my way to bash him and when he's having a good game I admit it. However what I find frustrating is that Therrien hasn't been very fair, when he first came here he talked about being fair, players being held accountable for their actions and their play. He also said that if he feels that you're giving it your all and playing a good game you're going to have more time on the ice. Desharnais hasn't been very good in the last few games and I think Therrien should take some of his time and give it to the players who are more deserving, try to shake things up a bit. It's clear that Desharnais and Pacioretty aren't working right now and he also refuses to change the lines. My only question is why are they untouchable? Pretty much everyone else on this team has changed lines once in the season. Of course some of the comments are over the top, but we also have the right to call a player out when he's not playing well.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Alot of the comments here haven't been about buying out Desharnais, I'm not a big fan of the guy but I don't go out of my way to bash him and when he's having a good game I admit it. However what I find frustrating is that Therrien hasn't been very fair, when he first came here he talked about being fair, players being held accountable for their actions and their play. He also said that if he feels that you're giving it your all and playing a good game you're going to have more time on the ice. Desharnais hasn't been very good in the last few games and I think Therrien should take some of his time and give it to the players who are more deserving, try to shake things up a bit. It's clear that Desharnais and Pacioretty aren't working right now and he also refuses to change the lines. My only question is why are they untouchable? Pretty much everyone else on this team has changed lines once in the season. Of course some of the comments are over the top, but we also have the right to call a player out when he's not playing well.
FWIW, I didn't mean you.

Look back in history of the thread. I agree with you as do most DD fans. We're confident in his ability as a top 9 forward but other guys may produce better on the PP for the time being. I will cheer whoever is on PP if it helps us win.

DD is not immune to criticism. Never said that. It's just same people waiting till one guy outproduces him or whatever. Gets old.

I think Eller should get PP time. Not sure about Galchenyuk just yet but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
kovaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Exactly this. DD now has $14M guaranteed, his lifetime goals are set. He can thank RDS, Gaston Therrien and Michel Bergeron for pumping his tires.

In the mean time...why risk life and limb going in against guys 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier?

Comfortable and un-motivated, DD has become our new Gomez!
I think in fairness to Gomez, it was not that e effort wasn't there, the talent simply wasn't there anymore. He still had heart. he was just paid waaaaayyyyyy to much.

I wouldn't quite compare home to DD yet.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:18 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
You can talk about fairness all you want, but when your boss just signed a player to a 4 year extension as a top 6 player can u, the coach, move him to the third or fourth line and make your boss look bad?

Same thing here with Gomez... Jacques Martin had to keep playing him because it would have made his bosses look bad.

Same old BS here... and I'm just sick of it.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovaless View Post
I think in fairness to Gomez, it was not that e effort wasn't there, the talent simply wasn't there anymore. He still had heart. he was just paid waaaaayyyyyy to much.

I wouldn't quite compare home to DD yet.
How long before we start saying the same for DD?

His talent as a playmaker was fine when he played with two power forwards in Jacques Martin's passive counter attack system. The habs now play an aggressive physical, speed game for which DD does not have the tools to compete, as he is neither speedy nor physical.

The

Old
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
You can talk about fairness all you want, but when your boss just signed a player to a 4 year extension as a top 6 player can u, the coach, move him to the third or fourth line and make your boss look bad?

Same thing here with Gomez... Jacques Martin had to keep playing him because it would have made his bosses look bad.

Same old BS here... and I'm just sick of it.
What are you sick of?

The Montreal Canadiens are having a very good year after finishing in last place just a season ago.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Fretting about DD will not change a thing.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What are you sick of?

The Montreal Canadiens are having a very good year after finishing in last place just a season ago.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Fretting about DD will not change a thing.
Yah, sucks to be winning I guess?

Old
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Tyson

The favoritism that MT gives DD is really obvious. Eller is that big center we have longed for and now that we have him he is still playing behind a 5'6 center. Make no mistake, Habs will not win a 7 game series with DD getting top line minutes. I like Bergevin but for the life of me I can't understand what was so pressing for giving DD a 4 year extension. Illogical.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Desharnais 22 pts Eller 21 pts Galchenyuk 20 pts

The first one gets ton of PP time while the 2 others get none..

Enough said..

and both are bigger stronger better 2 way ,etc

enough said

Old
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

It could be worst though.. Im watching Zajac play, OUCH!!!! A multi years contract, 5.75M per, thats IMO one of the worst contracts in the modern era.. Lou should think about retirement..

Closed Thread