All Purpose Golf Thread | FedEx Cup Playoffs: The Barclays

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 04:49 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I was actually looking at reviews of that the other day. I wanted to get a Ping and I abhor the prices that are charged for a Scotty Cameron and that looked like a healthy alternative. My issue with the aesthetic was there lol, like you said, but I'm ok with it for that price if it has nice balance. I've been a solid putter in the past so just something that's smooth with good weight is something that I'm interested in. I'm deciding between trying to pick up a Ping ANSER, used if possible. I just have a huge problem with paying more than 100 dollars for a putter. IDK why. I'll push 120 or 130 for a nice wedge but for a putter it just seems a bit ridiculous.
Dude, I'm the exact same way.

I have never spent more than $100 on a putter, but didn't think twice when I spent $125/wedge on my CG15 wedges a couple years ago.

Considering we use a putter 25-35 times/round, I find it humorous that people (myself included) are always hesitant to drop the big bucks on a good putter, yet will spend $400+ on the latest driver.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post

I have never spent more than $100 on a putter, but didn't think twice when I spent $125/wedge on my CG15 wedges a couple years ago.

Considering we use a putter 25-35 times/round, I find it humorous that people (myself included) are always hesitant to drop the big bucks on a good putter, yet will spend $400+ on the latest driver.
I could not agree more with you and always have the same reaction to those people and it's this:

Putter is by far the most important club in the bag. The driver, if it's not on, is amendable and for the most part, you can club down to a club you feel comfortable with and still make greens in two on 4s or in three on 5s, if you are accurate enough. Even if not, you are within wedge range.

How do you like your oil cans? That was the wedge set I was looking at, that and the Vokeys though they have a different groove pattern and I typically want to stay away from Titelist, except with irons for my next set. In regards to the Cleveland set, they've got a lot of bite and chipping is the my favorite part of the game.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Forgetting about spending $400 on a driver, think about the time many put into getting fitted for the right head and shaft combination. When was the last time you saw anyone get fitted for a putter? In general people go to the store, roll a few on the carpet and buy one without any regard to their putting stroke and what type of putter works well for them.

The best thing I did was to spend the time with a putting guru who helped develop the SAM Puttlab system. We determined what type of stroke I had and then worked backwards for the right putter type, offset, etc. Then had a putter made to those specs and haven't looked back since.

BTW, Augusta looked great. Just got back from the Monday practice round. Should be a fun weekend, although the weather is going to get a bit cooler and potential rain on Friday.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I could not agree more with you and always have the same reaction to those people and it's this:

Putter is by far the most important club in the bag. The driver, if it's not on, is amendable and for the most part, you can club down to a club you feel comfortable with and still make greens in two on 4s or in three on 5s, if you are accurate enough. Even if not, you are within wedge range.

How do you like your oil cans? That was the wedge set I was looking at, that and the Vokeys though they have a different groove pattern and I typically want to stay away from Titelist, except with irons for my next set. In regards to the Cleveland set, they've got a lot of bite and chipping is the my favorite part of the game.
I loved both the Vokeys and CG15s. Luckily I was able to take both out for a round to give em' a go. Its hard to describe, but I simply preferred the feel of the CG15s over the Vokeys. Performance wise, I felt they were nearly identical.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
I loved both the Vokeys and CG15s. Luckily I was able to take both out for a round to give em' a go. Its hard to describe, but I simply preferred the feel of the CG15s over the Vokeys. Performance wise, I felt they were nearly identical.
I see. Good stuff. I've had a debate. I'm returning to Alaska to make that money! After the summer I'm going to do a full update. About four years ago I made the decision to switch back to swinging 'em lefty after a nearly ten year experiment playing righty(a negative of playing hockey to say the least) I bought a dirt cheap set first time around to get myself back into the swing(hehe) of things. Played with those the first year. Been playing with Callaway Big Bertha 2002s for about three seasons now and it's helped. Updated the driver last year. I'll do a bag overhaul after summer though and will spend all summer shopping out and updating, waiting for the deals. The real issue I have is avoiding the impulse buy, my Achilles heel. Oh well, I've got the time to phase in new things.

BTW, did you see Charley Hoffman's putting today?

Old
04-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
'Gratz to G-mac.

I've had trouble watching golf since The Masters. Will probably wait till The Players Championship to get back into watching...

That week is such a high, the following tournaments just seem so I dunno... insignificant doesn't really seem like the right word to use here.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
'Gratz to G-mac.

I've had trouble watching golf since The Masters. Will probably wait till The Players Championship to get back into watching...

That week is such a high, the following tournaments just seem so I dunno... insignificant doesn't really seem like the right word to use here.
We are speaking the same language lol. It's the equivalent of a having a conference playoff game and then going back to a regular season game. Last year I was taken aback, and ultimately didn't watch until Sawgrass. This year though I powered through as Harbour Town is just such a difficult track and knew whoever won would have to get creative with their short game. McDowell played well on Sunday. IMO it's a terrible tournament to follow the Masters. They should consider a reordering. It would be a good tournament to lead up to either the US Open or the PGA in terms of difficulty, but watching guys trying to stop a ball no a dime in high wind rarely if ever works out. I have quite a few issues with the scheduling of the PGA tour and though I like the process of the final fedex cup and whatnot, there are some things like tournament(RBC Heritage) that need to be moved. Should be a tournament that allows for either high scoring or a softer course, something worthy of a break from the Masters.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
'Gratz to G-mac.

I'm pretty much out until the US Open.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Francesa

@grantboone 5:53 PM
Tianlang Guan makes the cut at @Zurich_Classic in New Orleans. He was 6 when Katrina hit.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
@grantboone 5:53 PM
Tianlang Guan makes the cut at @Zurich_Classic in New Orleans. He was 6 when Katrina hit.
His putting is absurdly good and the past two days have been a solid indication of that. He idolized Tiger Woods and Tiger's always talked about how putting is where the game is won, even when he could out-drive everyone. Club head speed/ball speed will increase with time as he develops, but the important thing is that he already has a fluid swing and the putting to boot.

Using the belly putter I think is such an advantage, especially in his case as he's used it whole life.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...spray/2143849/

That whole thing has really turned into a mess.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Tiger having a good opening round at The Players.......currently -6 thru 17 & tied for 2nd place.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Tiger having a good opening round at The Players.......currently -6 thru 17 & tied for 2nd place.
While it's great that he is doing well in tournaments with the best players in the world (Bay Hill, TPC, etc), but it's time that he does it in a major.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
While it's great that he is doing well in tournaments with the best players in the world (Bay Hill, TPC, etc), but it's time that he does it in a major.
Very true, but it's also worth noting that TPC Sawgrass has been a nightmare for him since his lone win there in 2001.

And he now stands alone in 2nd after a 2nd straight 67......1 shot behind Sergio Garcia.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Very true, but it's also worth noting that TPC Sawgrass has been a nightmare for him since his lone win there in 2001.

And he now stands alone in 2nd after a 2nd straight 67......1 shot behind Sergio Garcia.
Worth noting, yes. It's still not a major and when he has made it clear that majors are his measuring stick, winning anything but carries little weight.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Sergio needs to take his tampon out.

What a whiny little *****. Seriously.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Kadri 4 Hart

Quote:
Sergio needs to take his tampon out.

What a whiny little *****. Seriously.
Agreed..really dislike him after the whole fiasco.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

LOL, Sergio. Double kerplunk on 17.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Raging Bull

Sergio "Tin Cup" Garcia. Puts two in the drink on 17 when tied for the lead.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Francesa

Sergio

Tiger let's go

Old
05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Wet on 18 as well for Garcia

Old
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Sergio Garcia

Ride the pine buddy!

Old
05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Raging Bull

Tiger most likely looking at his 3rd win his last 4 starts.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Tiger Tiger Woods y'all!

If it was anyone else, I would probably feel bad but it was great watching that happen to Sergio.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Tiger Tiger Woods ya'll!

Chalk up another win and as for Sergio, next time you wanna ***** and complain..keep it to yourself.

Closed Thread