HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella..ella..ella..eh..eh...and Glen Cigar Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Personally, I cant wait for "Legends of Hockey: Glen Sather" remastered
I especially look forward to the segment that is sure to detail how he was able to achieve all of his unparalleled success over the last 20 years with both a small market team and the team with a financial advantage over all but two other teams in the league, just as he said he would.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

i think they need to change the strategy in the offensive zone of the team avoiding the slot like the plague

Old
04-09-2013, 08:03 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Sting loves ripping Glenn to shreds it's hilarious. Thing is, he's spot on.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Frankly, I won't feel confident in this organization making the right decisions as long as Sather occupies the GM position. Even if he's only handling trades and RFAs.

That's just me, though.
The Rangers could do far worse. Sather has a serious problem when it comes to signing UFAs. It's almost akin to a drug addiction. His signings have always been detrimental to the club but with a willing owner like Dolan to enable his recklessness, there will always risk with Sather at the helm.

Putting aside all that, he's been one of the better GMs as of late when it comes to trading and resigning young RFAs. I'm far more confident in him than I would be with somebody like Jay Feaster, for Christ's sake.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I especially look forward to the segment that is sure to detail how he was able to achieve all of his unparalleled success over the last 20 years with both a small market team and the team with a financial advantage over all but two other teams in the league, just as he said he would.
So today with what franchises would you trade our entire player pool (contracts + rights) for their entire player pool?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
haveandare

Quote:
If only. Imagine how much we could learn from NHL GMs, with all of them consistently performing their jobs well and proving time and again that they understand how to manage budgets, evaluate talent, and construct perfectly nuanced rosters.

Oh, to pick the brain of Glen Sather, what with the uninterrupted streak of overwhelming success he has displayed over the last 20 (!) years running the Oilers and Rangers, proving that his early career success was more than just his owner purchasing, and not Glen Sather drafting and developing, the greatest player to ever play the game. The endless list of superstars drafted and developed over the last two decades, not to mention the championship banners accumulated . . .
I'm sure all of us could learn a ton from real GMs. Whether or not they perform their jobs perfectly, they perform them and we don't. We're fans at computers talking about what moves those people should make without any of the context or pressure of the job.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm sure all of us could learn a ton from real GMs. Whether or not they perform their jobs perfectly, they perform them and we don't. We're fans at computers talking about what moves those people should make without any of the context or pressure of the job.
Are you implying that Glen Sather has any pressure?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
If only. Imagine how much we could learn from NHL GMs, with all of them consistently performing their jobs well and proving time and again that they understand how to manage budgets, evaluate talent, and construct perfectly nuanced rosters.

Oh, to pick the brain of Glen Sather, what with the uninterrupted streak of overwhelming success he has displayed over the last 20 (!) years running the Oilers and Rangers, proving that his early career success was more than just his owner purchasing, and not Glen Sather drafting and developing, the greatest player to ever play the game. The endless list of superstars drafted and developed over the last two decades, not to mention the championship banners accumulated . . .
Well done!!

Old
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Wolfy

Does Sather always suck on the remains of a cigar?

Well he's not the only smoking Ranger. I wish I could find that photo of Nash with CBJ at a golf party, with a cigarette in his hand

Old
04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
So today with what franchises would you trade our entire player pool (contracts + rights) for their entire player pool?
The question is flawed. Not every team is the New York Rangers, not every team has the advantages that the Rangers have, and plenty have disadvantages that the Rangers do not. With the advantages the Rangers have, they should be held to a different standard than at least some of the clubs in the league that struggle just to get by.

But I'll attempt to answer the question, anyway. Keep in mind that to answer this, one has to put aside any bias toward players on your favorite team. That said . . . Chicago, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Boston, Minnesota, Ottawa. I think Detroit is arguable, as well. This year they lost a little depth, but they have a very deep prospect pool, and as soon as next year, I think they'll be able to rebound a bit.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The question is flawed. Not every team is the New York Rangers, not every team has the advantages that the Rangers have, and plenty have disadvantages that the Rangers do not. With the advantages the Rangers have, they should be held to a different standard than at least some of the clubs in the league that struggle just to get by.

But I'll attempt to answer the question, anyway. Keep in mind that to answer this, one has to put aside any bias toward players on your favorite team. That said . . . Chicago, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Boston, Minnesota, Ottawa. I think Detroit is arguable, as well. This year they lost a little depth, but they have a very deep prospect pool, and as soon as next year, I think they'll be able to rebound a bit.
I disagree with Vancouver and Minnesota (post Pominville trade). But there are more than a few organizations who are better off right now than the Rangers. But things change.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Are you implying that Glen Sather has any pressure?
Yes. Every GM is under pressure. Maybe not to keep their jobs in every case, but to build a successful team, to be remembered as a GM that brought their team a cup etc.

If we're honestly going to start talking down to real-life GMs because we think we're smarter than them and better at doing their jobs, which we've never had, this board is blasting off into outer space and leaving reality far behind.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yes. Every GM is under pressure. Maybe not to keep their jobs in every case, but to build a successful team, to be remembered as a GM that brought their team a cup etc.

If we're honestly going to start talking down to real-life GMs because we think we're smarter than them and better at doing their jobs, which we've never had, this board is blasting off into outer space and leaving reality far behind.
I'd venture to guess that most of this board wouldnt sign Gomez, Drury, and Redden for $120M, for starters.

Im not going to dismiss Sather's connections and stature in the game. Unfortunately, that was all built 20+ years ago with no tangible accomplishments since.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Like there's a big choice on the roster to pick up the slack and play additional minutes if one of our top guy(s) is having a subpar game!
MDZ had almost as much TOI in the 3rd period as Moore had the entire game...Torts/Sullivan could have thrown Moore an extra shift or two per period to give MDZ/Girardi a blow.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I don't think Torts was the reason we lost last night, unless he was telling his players NOT to go to the net, which I highly doubt.

Del Zotto made some unforced, sloppy plays. Girardi made some unforced, sloppy plays. Boyle made some unforced, sloppy plays. You see where I'm going with this?

Last night was just a collective brain fart of a game. Simple mistakes led to goals against.
Let me preface by saying I'm neither a Torts hater or Tots Pom Pom waver...the entire team did not play well in the d zone against the Canes or against the Leafs...shortening the bench in both games in a tough stretch may not have been the best move.

IMHO coaches get too much credit when teams win and too much blame when they lose.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

With the exception of LA the only thing I would miss from NY is Lundqvist.

LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Boston are no brainers for sure. All of them have recently won cups and are still in contention for another.

04-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that most of this board wouldnt sign Gomez, Drury, and Redden for $120M, for starters.

Im not going to dismiss Sather's connections and stature in the game. Unfortunately, that was all built 20+ years ago with no tangible accomplishments since.
...and people say we couldn't be GMs.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
IMHO coaches get too much credit when teams win and too much blame when they lose.
The old adage in all sports is games are decided 70% by the players, 20% by coaching and 10% by luck.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The old adage in all sports is games are decided 70% by the players, 20% by coaching and 10% by luck.
I think luck is higher than that.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think luck is higher than that.
Reminds me of the Naked Gun..."The doctors say hes got a 50/50 chance of living, but theres only a 10% chance of that"

Old
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Reminds me of the Naked Gun..."The doctors say hes got a 50/50 chance of living, but theres only a 10% chance of that"
90% of the game is half mental!

Old
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
NickyFotiu

I'd take Slats over most GM's.

NYC has disadvantages as well and a reason why players sometimes have avoided NY. The NYC taxes are ridiculous. The cost of living is sky high. The media can be a detriment. Lots of players/players wives would prefer not to raise kids in NYC. Sitting in a car service for an hour or two before a game is not ideal (If living upstate).

Old
04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I'd take Slats over most GM's.

NYC has disadvantages as well and a reason why players sometimes have avoided NY. The NYC taxes are ridiculous. The cost of living is sky high. The media can be a detriment. Lots of players/players wives would prefer not to raise kids in NYC. Sitting in a car service for an hour or two before a game is not ideal (If living upstate).
Luckily for free agents, this is all mostly mitigated by Sather massively overpaying for them

Old
04-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:

Okay, so before we even start debating some of the teams you, one of the most negative guys on Sather, put in there we're at worst top ten in the league and top 3 in the East.

And yet Sather is completely inept. Someone has a real sense of entitlement...

Old
04-10-2013, 07:17 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

The troops wont fight for a barker that constantly mixes and matches all the lines. Especially a veteran team. He'd do better on a college or junior team with that attitude.

Closed Thread