HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

2006 - Pronger to Chicago?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
2006 - Pronger to Chicago?

I had never heard this story before, but I liked it enough to share.

From Friedman's latest 30 Thoughts column:
27. Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin wouldn't comment on this story, but another source told me it was true, so I'm going with it. In 2006, when Chris Pronger asked to be traded from Edmonton, Chicago had a shot at getting him. Bergevin worked for the Blackhawks, who decided not to make the trade because they weren't ready to win. The deal included the draft pick that landed either Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane (the source wasn't sure which). Can you imagine? Bergevin remembers that outcome and it shapes his philosophy. Don't swing for the fences unless your team has certain staying power.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ome-cheap.html

Just another one of those things from the last decade that would've changed everything about where this organization is today. Like the 2004 draft lottery.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

I'm glad it never happened.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Just throw this tidbit into the J. Staal, Elias, Sakic, Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc. pile.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Oh, thank God.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
rick hawk

Say what you will about the individual hits or misses of Dale Tallon but that philosophy of being patient in building the team and not swinging for the fences was his greatest strength and a huge factor in the Hawks eventual turnaround. Contrast that with the way Brian Burke tried to build the Leafs with moves like the Kessell trade and you start to appreciate what the Hawks did. Now with hindsight many think it was a slam dunk but it wasn't.

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Yeah, you never give up top 5 picks for vets. Good on Dale.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Sarava

Dale is the best!!

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM
RomersWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post
Say what you will about the individual hits or misses of Dale Tallon but that philosophy of being patient in building the team and not swinging for the fences was his greatest strength and a huge factor in the Hawks eventual turnaround. Contrast that with the way Brian Burke tried to build the Leafs with moves like the Kessell trade and you start to appreciate what the Hawks did. Now with hindsight many think it was a slam dunk but it wasn't.
Isn't this exactly what Stan is doing but gets ripped on non-stop?

This is a trade that I could see the Flames making.

RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Isn't this exactly what Stan is doing but gets ripped on non-stop?

This is a trade that I could see the Flames making.
No, this team is winning and loaded with prospects and is getting ripped on for not dangling bottom 5 picks. That team sucked and was building its prospect pool and core. Hence the praise for holding onto the top 5 picks. When teams are losing/rebuilding, they should hold onto the picks. When teams are in serious contention for the Cup, it is good to trade for extra help. But we have what we have and hopefully it is enough. The TD is over now.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Oh BS

Look at all his FA mistakes and he didn't exactly show patience when he traded for Havlat

And its easy to sit around when Mike Smith/Pulford left such a quality prospect pool

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Oh BS

Look at all his FA mistakes and he didn't exactly show patience when he traded for Havlat

And its easy to sit around when Mike Smith/Pulford left such a quality prospect pool
BS is it? Trade for Havlat was basically 25 year old Havlat for 25 year ols Bell. It was a steal for the hAWKS

Old
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Pronger back then... wow, if it would have been the Kane pick, I would have thought about that long and may have said yes in the end. Pronger was that good back then

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Oh BS

BS is it? The trade for Havlat was basically 25 year old Havlat for 25 year old Bell. How is that being impatient????
By the way it was a steal for the Hawks/Tallon.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Oh BS

BS is it? The trade for Havlat was basically 25 year old Havlat for 25 year old Bell. How is that being impatient????
By the way it was a steal for the Hawks/Tallon.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

massivegoonery

Crazy to think the huge difference "no" vs. "yes" can make in the trading game.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
massivegoonery

Crazy to think the huge difference "no" vs. "yes" can make in the trading game.
That applies to any situation and the magnitude of what's at stake.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
unbridledid

Ducks are doing well on their end when they moved Proger to the flyers...
Lupul, Sbisa, Etem, and Palmieri for a guy who is done. Three of the four are young and contributing to the Ducks and Lupul was part of the trade for Beauchemin....

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
What was Havlat acquisition and that extension other than a gigantic swing for the fences?

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
hockeydoug

The Bulin wall was eating just under max cap hit. That was a swing for the fences too.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:48 PM
coldsteelonice84

I love Khabby but it's been doubly proven that he isn't going to bring his best for a loser. Look at the trajectory of his stats with both the Oilers and Hawks. And this is all while being old. I mean, the guy is probably going to get another few years at least in the NHL with the way he has played the last two seasons.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
What was Havlat acquisition and that extension other than a gigantic swing for the fences?
Signing a 25 year old to an extension means you are taking a gigantic swing for the fences???? In my world that expression indicates you are going all in to try to win now. I must be mistaken then...

Old
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
KanetoToews2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
The Bulin wall was eating just under max cap hit. That was a swing for the fences too.
for a team that struggled to get to the cap floor every year.

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Signing a 25 year old to an extension means you are taking a gigantic swing for the fences???? In my world that expression indicates you are going all in to try to win now. I must be mistaken then...
When you pay Havlat elite money despite no elite production and injury history = Yeah a gamble

Old
04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
LandofLincoln

Interesting about going for it to soon. Minnesota really mortgaged a lot this season. If Heatley doesn't go down they are right there with the Canucks.

I think it was a gutsy move by Minnesota to do what they did. If they can keep what they have together they should move ahead of Vancouver or San Jose and win that division. Oops I think they will be in our division with the mix ups of divisions.

They are a threat. I can't see them beating the Hawks in the playoffs this year. However if you lose a guy like Hossa, Toews or Kane and get subpar goaltending Minnesota is capable and will be a Cup threat in the next 2-3 years.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Interesting about going for it to soon. Minnesota really mortgaged a lot this season. If Heatley doesn't go down they are right there with the Canucks.

I think it was a gutsy move by Minnesota to do what they did. If they can keep what they have together they should move ahead of Vancouver or San Jose and win that division. Oops I think they will be in our division with the mix ups of divisions.

They are a threat. I can't see them beating the Hawks in the playoffs this year. However if you lose a guy like Hossa, Toews or Kane and get subpar goaltending Minnesota is capable and will be a Cup threat in the next 2-3 years.
^
Wild are better without Heatley

He is terrible hockey player at this point

Cant skate , Makes no effort to play D and just stands around waiting for puck to fire it on net in offensive zone