HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Compelling offseason for Islanders?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Siludin

vCash: 500
Compelling offseason for Islanders?

I probably wouldn't have expected the New York Islanders to have one of the more interesting upcoming offseasons in the NHL at the beginning of the season, but it's sure ramping up to be a good one.

The team is in the playoffs for the first time since Ted Nolan was behind the bench, and the team finally has some key pieces in place to build around. That being said, they are still very much a low-salary organization that relies on a lot of cheap 1-way contracts and scrap from other teams to ice a complete lineup.

That being said, it looks like they'll have quite the choice of players this offseason. Lots of teams will be looking to dump salary or bad contracts in their underperforming players, or buying out those same players, only to be had cheaply elsewhere (think: Booth, Ballard, Pronger, Bryzgalov, Connolly, Grabovski, Richards, Olesz, Montador, etc).

What would your gameplan be if you were the Islanders this offseason? What players would you see as a fit on your team, especially taking into account that many of your own players may be leaving for more salary.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Clamshells

I would definitely sign Pronger because I'm Mike Milbury

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
boredmale

I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I still think the Islanders will be one of the lowest salary franchises till they move to Brooklyn(or get a new owner)

All that being said the Islanders have 3 spots that either need to be filled internally or signing/trading for a player

1. 2nd Line center - Neilsen needs to be playing 3rd line, a legit second line center would help the team have more balanced scoring

2. #2/#3 defenseman - While Streit helps the offense, they probably need one that is more 2 way, great defensively. If we could get that 2 way defenseman I might be willing to let Streit go to greener pastures.

3. RW for Tavares - Boyes point totals might look good, but Tavares needs a winger who will go into the boards and crash for him
You can have Roy, Ballard, and Booth from the Canucks at only the cost of their salary!

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Cero Miedo

Could they make a run at Clarkson?

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:

NYI are far from a lock for the playoffs., NJD are their usual wild card in this situation. Game in hand. Good news they have put together a good ten game steak--but it is a streak.

As for what they do in the off season--With Wang as owner do not look for them to go on a spending spree with him in charge

04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:

Not sure what the Bruins plans are for him, but Nathan Horton would fit that bill. He's a UFA after this season.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:47 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Not sure what the Bruins plans are for him, but Nathan Horton would fit that bill. He's a UFA after this season.
Horton may be out of the price range, but he definitely fits the need. Plus, I don't think the Isles will be a UFA destination until they are playing in Brooklyn.

The Isles have committed to their youth so I think the kiddie corps will get first crack at filling the aforementioned needs.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Horton may be out of the price range, but he definitely fits the need. Plus, I don't think the Isles will be a UFA destination until they are playing in Brooklyn.

The Isles have committed to their youth so I think the kiddie corps will get first crack at filling the aforementioned needs.
The future is set. Brooklyn is coming. Playing with JT will definitely be Garth's pitch during UFAs.

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
I probably wouldn't have expected the New York Islanders to have one of the more interesting upcoming offseasons in the NHL at the beginning of the season, but it's sure ramping up to be a good one.

The team is in the playoffs for the first time since Ted Nolan was behind the bench, and the team finally has some key pieces in place to build around. That being said, they are still very much a low-salary organization that relies on a lot of cheap 1-way contracts and scrap from other teams to ice a complete lineup.

That being said, it looks like they'll have quite the choice of players this offseason. Lots of teams will be looking to dump salary or bad contracts in their underperforming players, or buying out those same players, only to be had cheaply elsewhere (think: Booth, Ballard, Pronger, Bryzgalov, Connolly, Grabovski, Richards, Olesz, Montador, etc).

What would your gameplan be if you were the Islanders this offseason? What players would you see as a fit on your team, especially taking into account that many of your own players may be leaving for more salary.
Tavares in the first yr of a 6 yr deal.
Okposo in the second yr of a 5 yr deal.
Grabner in the second yr of a 5 yr deal.
Nielsen in the first yr of a 4 yr deal.
Moulson in the second yr of a 3 yr deal.
Vis is signed to a 2 yr extension, that starts in 2013-2014.

The NY Times reported that Wang stands to make an extra $35m a season, on Barclay's 100 luxury suites and premium seats.I don't know why you'd think, the isles will lose their key players.
Newsday says to expect a possible influx of top prospects starting next season with Strome/Lee/Nino/Nelson expected to compete for spots.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 04-10-2013 at 03:40 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
SI90

I expect

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-(Grabner)UFA bottom6 vet
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Viz-Hamonic
Hickey-AMAC
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby if resigned or trade/ufa
Poulin

Last edited by SI90: 04-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
SI90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
like Crew said his pricetag probably will be to high but if I had to pick 1 position I would pump money into it would be defense. Sadly the UFA market this year sucks for the type of guy we need, the only way we can improve in that area would be trade a few prospects/picks for a team looking to trade a player(most likely for Cap relief).

A more likely option is just resigning Streit or making a trade for a guy like Ballard. In all reality the Islanders should have been pushing hard for Jay Bouwmeester(sure he might not be a #1 defenseman and he is overpaid but he would have made a huge improvement to our roster) since he is probably the best you are going to get on the trade market(besides maybe Yandle but I think we need a guy who is more known for defense/2 way play)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I expect

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-UFA bottom6 vet
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Viz-Hamonic
Hickey-AMAC
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby if resigned or trade/ufa
Poulin
I know he's so fast he's hard to see sometimes, but Grabner says hello. Slot him next to Nelson. Defense and goal still need work, but get that squared away and this could be a very good team for a very long time ... and without paying stupid money to a UFA that will need to eventually be bought out.

denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
I know he's so fast he's hard to see sometimes, but Grabner says hello. Slot him next to Nelson. Defense and goal still need work, but get that squared away and this could be a very good team for a very long time ... and without paying stupid money to a UFA that will need to eventually be bought out.
...and Cizikas at Nielson's LW and to take face offs. Look at bringing in Boyd Gordon from the Coyotes (if they can't resign him). Dish out a little more money (to tweak up the defense) and make it past the 2nd round, the revenue that will generate more than makes up for it.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:27 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...and Cizikas at Nielson's LW and to take face offs. Look at bringing in Boyd Gordon from the Coyotes (if they can't resign him). Dish out a little more money (to tweak up the defense) and make it past the 2nd round, the revenue that will generate more than makes up for it.
I doubt the isles break up the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line. It's was a very strong line the last 20 or so games of the 2011-2012 season and was reunited several weeks ago. It's been the isles best line for a month now.

Also, big Jesse Joensuu just got off IR with a groin injury.

This is his second go around with the NHL team. He seems to have grasped that if he wants to stick, he'll need to go to the dirty areas of the ice. I expect he'll be in the mix.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
SI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post

Im embarrassed

Old
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Fools should have tanked one more season and drafted Jones. Would have been too perfect.
When did they ever purposely lose?

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:59 PM
SI90

Quote:
Yeah I know right...winning and making the playoffs wont get us as much respect as getting another lottery pick...

We should also go for Ekblad the next year and McDavid after that...

Old
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Paper

If Nabokov signs elsewhere, Kiprusoff for a conditional 2nd. The condition simply being he shows up. Not the greatest season for him, but has shown flashes of his former self. Worst case scenario is the Islanders have a veteran backup costing 1.5M. If he doesn't show up, no harm, no foul. Suspend him like Thomas and eat up some cap space if they want or if he retires, whatever.

Maybe make it a conditional 2nd if he shows up and starts a certain amount of games, a third if he shows up but doesn't reach that threshold and nothing if he's a no show.

As for Kiprusoff, he threatened not to report if traded this year, but that's right after his wife had a baby. Give him some time to think in the off-season and a couple months to plan for the move and maybe Mrs. Kiprusoff is okay with it and Kiprusoff decides he has a couple years left in him.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Garth Snow has hinted that the Isles will take advantage of their cap room and abundance of solid prospects to fill holes on their team. For instance, they have too many young NHL-quality centers to fit on the team (Tavares, Bailey (moved to wing), Neilson, Cizakis, Anders Lee, Strome, Brock Nelson, Sundstrom), they can't keep them all. They have some holes, like near-term top-line defense. I could be dreaming, but Nashville is offense starved, maybe the Isles can make a run at Shea Weber?

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
If Nabokov signs elsewhere, Kiprusoff for a conditional 2nd. The condition simply being he shows up. Not the greatest season for him, but has shown flashes of his former self. Worst case scenario is the Islanders have a veteran backup costing 1.5M. If he doesn't show up, no harm, no foul. Suspend him like Thomas and eat up some cap space if they want or if he retires, whatever.

Maybe make it a conditional 2nd if he shows up and starts a certain amount of games, a third if he shows up but doesn't reach that threshold and nothing if he's a no show.

As for Kiprusoff, he threatened not to report if traded this year, but that's right after his wife had a baby. Give him some time to think in the off-season and a couple months to plan for the move and maybe Mrs. Kiprusoff is okay with it and Kiprusoff decides he has a couple years left in him.

I think Daly made it clear when he said he won't allow Thomas caphit to simply keep rolling over, that the league isn't amused by Wang's cap tricks.

Can't see the isles, getting a half share of revenue sharing under the new cba, pulling another Tim Thomas stunt.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Hurt

Quote:
That seems like a loser mentality right there. Teams play to win the game. No professionals lose on purpose.

04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Leafs For Life*

Grabovksi for 1st at draft if you make playoffs?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
Depending on how things go financially and especially if they resign Nabokov (likely) and Streit (about 50/50, but the money will be similar to Visnovsky), it wouldn't be out of the question to assume that no-one from the outside will be brought in.

And I write that believing they'll likely just let UFAs Boyes, Reasoner, Aucoin, and Martinek walk. I also think we'll not be seeing Boulton anymore, despite his current contract.

The arrival of Bailey and Okposo after being non-factors for the first 25 games added to the improved blueline play of Hamonic, MacDonald and Hickey (and before them, Strait) plus the incredibly solid lower line play of Martin, Cizikas and MacDonald has given this team newfound dimensions and options. We know that Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, and Grabner (well, maybe) aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Lee was just signed and Joensuu has another 8 games to show that he's worth re-upping as an RFA - to be honest, I think they need to do it in light of how much time he missed this season after so much improvement the past two seasons over in Europe.

Both Finley (RFA) and Carkner (2 more years) are fine as depth Dmen, especially when a more physical presence is needed.

The other answers will have to come from within. I don't believe there's any reason for Donovan to spend another year in the AHL. Either you plan for him to be on the Island or he's moved in a trade. The same pretty much goes for Ullstrom (new 4th line center).

This said, I'd suggest that the major factor right now is RW and if you're not gonna ask Strome and Niederreiter to battle it out for that position at the moment, then you might as well move one in a deal to get the guy who'll play there.

Nelson is the #2 of the future. The team will need to contemplate just how ready he is. He's definitely knocking.

Once again, maybe the best answer is to just see what they have from within - as long as they're hitting the cap floor. They can afford to be generous to Streit and Nabokov to make that happen.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote