HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2003, 06:40 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Torres

This isn't a Raffi rant. I'm just curious to how people are feeling on my topic.

I have a question. Wasn't Torres considered a banger that could scrap....with some offense to compliment it? A Tyson Nash with some skill?

I sure hope this guy doesn't get an early case of Laraquitis.

If he's hit a wall offensively.......he should at least be causing some more crap out there. THAT was the main intention of getting him.

Is the guy above that now?

It's pissing me off lately.....

POUND SOMEBODY! Get under the D's skin! Run over Kiprosov!

Old
12-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Lowetide

I honestly don't know what kind of fighter he is, don't recall alot about that. What we were getting from the reports I read was a gritty tank who could level people, had a heavy shot and wasn't afraid of traffic.

I think he's delivering, but in spurts. Then again, he's a rookie on the all spurt team, so it's not like someone is showing him the way (save York, and recently, Isbister).

Old
12-28-2003, 07:01 PM
northern2020

for sure- this guy is built like a hummer, but I believe his early season goal scoring took him away from the physical game he is tuned for. Get banging, create turnovers, agitate..

Old
12-28-2003, 07:11 PM
gretzky2kurri

It's like some players on this team lose focus on what their roles are.

If Raffi lays 1 thunderous hit every night......I want him in the line up every night. If he's going to be Raffi Torres 1 night and Dan Lacouture the next 4 nights....I feel he needs a sit down.

Torres is by far not the worst guy out there. But I think MacT should try to nip this in the bud early. It's like Torres AND the coaching staff have decided Raffi is a goal scorer because of his spurt at the begining of the season. Kovalenko had a strong start one year, but didn't evolve into our offensive threat.

The YOUNG man has alot of upside. I just think he's starting to go off track and forgetting what got him in the NHL.

Nip it in the bud early I say. You need to earn your keep EVERY night when bursting into the league. There's no time for comfort.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Actually outta the young Oiler players I have watched this season (not that often, mind you), Torres has not impressed me as much as Hemsky, Stoll, Bergeron, or even Pisani in their respective roles. Maybe it's just because I don't think of Torres as a goal-scorer, but his early offensive success seemed to overshadow the lack of a stellar physical impact by Torres-which is what I was expecting from him. To be honest-I expected him to be a lot like Matt Cooke. Runs around hitting everything and everyone hard-and staying in their face to boot. The type of energy guy fans just adore and opposition players loathe. I just don't see this in Torres-at least not in the games I have watched. He drives the net for rebounds pretty well-and has displayed a softer touch around the net than I expected-but he has not been that ***** disturber that I feel the Oilers sort of lack. It could be that MacT just hasn't given him a definitive role maybe? I don't know. But I hope he picks up the physical play. I love players who finish their checks (hopefully legally).

Old
12-28-2003, 07:25 PM
gretzky2kurri

Again........I can't stress this enough. I don't feel Raffi is the reason behind the Oilers woes.

A really like Raffi's potential. But I'm a little uncomfortable about how he's developing now.

Not that Raffi should be first in line........but I feel he needs a talking to.

It's best for his future.......and his team.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I honestly don't know what kind of fighter he is, don't recall alot about that. What we were getting from the reports I read was a gritty tank who could level people, had a heavy shot and wasn't afraid of traffic.

I think he's delivering, but in spurts. Then again, he's a rookie on the all spurt team, so it's not like someone is showing him the way (save York, and recently, Isbister).
He is a good hitter and has an average shot but as for fighting he is scared to drop them. He did the same in the AHL. He is far fom a darcy Tucker type player but can deliver some good hits.

Old
12-28-2003, 09:03 PM
gretzky2kurri

What about Bergeron. Is there any truth about him liking to scrap?

Old
12-28-2003, 09:03 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
He also won't throw a hit to take himself out of position.

That was one of the things he learned from Butler (I assume) in Brampton, as it is something that looks like an occurance in guys who played there (i.e. Burns, Klesla). Throwing a huge hit after the puck is past you and down the ice is useless, and Torres simply doesn't play like that. He won't take himself out of the play, and to be honest, I think that is a good thing.

He has never been shy to throw a hit when it is there and was in the play, at least he hasn't been in the games I have watched.

Old
12-28-2003, 09:10 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
He also won't throw a hit to take himself out of position.

That was one of the things he learned from Butler (I assume) in Brampton, as it is something that looks like an occurance in guys who played there (i.e. Burns, Klesla). Throwing a huge hit after the puck is past you and down the ice is useless, and Torres simply doesn't play like that. He won't take himself out of the play, and to be honest, I think that is a good thing.

He has never been shy to throw a hit when it is there and was in the play, at least he hasn't been in the games I have watched.
Good points.

Guys like Nash and Tucker seem to "find" alot more opportunities than most players though.

Torres seems to have pretty good speed.

Closed Thread