HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Hockey is 1) a team game, and 2) a game of bounces/inches

Montreal fans are usually way too introspective and barely acknowledge the opposition, sometimes other teams' play does matter. They'll blame Price when a perfect laser beam wrister gets past price perfectly into corner, but will only praise the shooter if it's Ryder or Pacioretty doing the same to some other team.

Sometimes also the luck/inches are the factor, it's very hard to score goals in the NHL, and sometimes you need lucky breaks like good bounces. You're not gonna get these every night, while the opposition will.
Common sense, refreshing...

Old
04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
BobbyFischer*

I wanna see them keep playing Budaj (after he wins) UNTIL he loses a game!

It lets Price rest and.. let's see how good Budaj is..

Old
04-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
No goalie is worth 6,5M$ LOL .

Goalie are overated and this is coming from one of te best GM in the league ( Ken Holland)

Thing is the difference between lets say 4th best goalie and the 17th best goalie is minimal
Holland was talking about how goalies weren't worth it unless they were the rare guys that are significantly better than the pack overall. The non top 8ish guys. Its more goalies 10-25 that are essentially the same, the real talent is in the top third/quarter of starters.

Detroit didn't have that availible so he wasn't about to waste cap on guys not much better than what you find in the bargin bin (bargin bin being someone like Osgood).

Price belongs in that upper tier catagory even if he hasn't quite been a Lundqvist.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Me neither, its not like we have any real options left. Its carey price or bust, is he tanks the team goes down with him. if he goes red hot the team goes far with him. I'm okay with either.
ill take a chance and say you guys have only startjng watching canadiens hockey this year?? if not...you have crap as memories. go read carey price's post on the first page of this thread...maybe itll help you put in perspective those numbers....nothing he could do about his record.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Holland was talking about how goalies weren't worth it unless they were the rare guys that are significantly better than the pack overall.

Price belongs in that upper tier catagory even if he hasn't quite been a Lundqvist.
How is Price significantly better than the pack?

Old
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Danadiens

vCash: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Yeah.....?

How did you know?

Its hilarious though when we say something about Carey Price some people take it personal
I think it has more to do with the fact that 99% of your posts are about Carey Price sucking or you defending yourself about your posts of Carey Price sucking.

Think about it.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Over the long term he's performs better than your average starting goalkeeper by a measurable amount. There are fewer of those guys than you might think.

Essentially his lows are better than an average lows and his high points come more frequently than average for a typical starter.

Price often suffers for too comparison to this moments flavour when the guys he should be compared to are those in similar roles and with an eye for the long term.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
This.
Nothing agaisnt Price but it's very obvious he's on the hyping machine from a organization that needed a franchise player asap. Theodore and Halak hda better season than Price but were never consider as franchise player

Old
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
No goalie is worth 6,5M$ LOL .

Goalie are overated and this is coming from one of te best GM in the league ( Ken Holland)

Thing is the difference between lets say 4th best goalie and the 17th best goalie is minimal
Coming from the guy who had Hasek as a goaltender on his team?

The same guy who gave 24 millions to Curtis Joseph?

Old
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
This.
Nothing agaisnt Price but it's very obvious he's on the hyping machine from a organization that needed a franchise player asap. Theodore and Halak hda better season than Price but were never consider as franchise player
Theodore was a franchise player when he won the hart. It just didnt last

Old
04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
I just don't get why everyone gets so defensive over the guy. In all honesty this year he was the best goalie on the ice probably about 50% of the time. ie) half the time the other guy was better.

For a "franchise goalie", a guy getting paid 6.5 mill, some fans expect more, and I think it's fair to think that.

That doesn't mean that you need go out and look for things that may not be there (ie a weak goal every game), but you should be able to comment "oh he should have had that" without being attacked. At 25 years of age and 300 nhl games under his belt, a lot of us expected this to be his breakout season, and it's been very underwhelming so far.

I haven't lost confidence in him, I was just hoping for more this year. Although no goalies are really excelling this year, perhaps the loss of training camp and the short season has a bigger effect on these guys than the players

Old
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact that 99% of your posts are about Carey Price sucking or you defending yourself about your posts of Carey Price sucking.

Think about it.
Well sir you got some reading to do.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Until Carey wins a cup or can magically merge his DNA with Patrick Roy's and somehow become French, he's not gonna be immune to criticism among fans, unwarranted (which I think most of it is) or not. The bottom line is he's a very good goalie. Has he gone on a dominant playoff run? No, but he's only 25 years old.. a little early to write him off on that, wouldn't you think?

Anyone who constantly whines about Price after every goal has never played real hockey in their life, and if they did, must have been hated by all of their teammates because hockey is a team game. Every time a goal is scored, chances are it's because someone has missed their assignment and Price is the last line of defense. I see on twitter all of the time, when he's beaten on great shots (ex. Crosby's snipe) people lipping about how he should have stopped it or "covered his angles" better... Sometimes a shooter wins the battle. Sometimes the best player in the world is bearing down on you... It happens.
Well said. My dad is a big Price fan and I'm pretty hard on him but I could tell he thought the Crosby shot was maybe weak, he asked me what I thought about it and I told him the same thing you said. "It happens"

But that doesn't mean that you can't call the Ovechkin goal weak without getting a hard time does it? We should be able to say things about our players? "I like Subban, but I don't like when he dives". Don't see why you should be trashed for any kind of criticism.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
If your team has a solid defense, your goalie doesn't need to "steal" a game. Unfortunately Price has never had one.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

It depends at least as much on the 18 skaters. I prefer it when the Habs carry the offense. Doesn't everyone?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Theodore was a franchise player when he won the hart. It just didnt last
The Propecia ran out.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:54 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The Propecia ran out.
I've always blamed Paris Hilton.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It depends at least as much on the 18 skaters. I prefer it when the Habs carry the offense. Doesn't everyone?
Well done, well done

Old
04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Just an observation, while anything remotely similar gets mashed and merged on this board within minutes, Carey Price can have limitless numbers of threads dedicated to him, despite the existence of the All Purpose Carey Price thread.

The team will Carry Price.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Trade Price, Keep Budage

Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Please close one of the Price threads.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Noob616

Quote:
With the exception of 2008-09 (when he was 21 years old), Price has out performed the league average save percentage every season, and was significantly above it in 2010-11, still managing to be above league average even with our hilariously bad season last year. In addition, among active goalies he currently holds the 10th best save percentage among active NHL goalies (13th best all time).

As was mentioned, it's a bit hard to get a grasp on because every year there's a bunch of average goalies or guys who were formerly nobodies who come out of nowhere to have better seasons than all the top goalies in the league, but guys like Price don't really come around very often. There are very few goalies that will outperform the league average save percentage AND (this is very important) play the vast majority of their team's games. There's value in that, exactly how much is up for debate but what we do know is that as long as Carey Price is under contract with the Canadiens, we'll likely have above average goaltending (how much above average isn't as predictable), and that's worth locking a guy up long term for.

With Price, we know we're getting above league average goaltending for 60+ games year in year out. I'm a believer that in most cases it's not a good idea to shell out big money for a goalie, but I believe Price is one of those special cases where it's worth it to pay the money. Is he worth 6.5M? Perhaps not quite, but that's the cost of signing a guy of his calibre, if we didn't sign him in the off season somebody would force our hand with an offer sheet. The other aspect is how young he still is to be in this discussion at all. The dude is 25 years old. Pekka Rinne wasn't even an NHL starter until he was 26. Carey Price is already a veteran at an age where most goalies aren't even starters yet.

It's easy to say "just sign a Mike Smith/Brian Eliott in free agency", but did anyone actually believe either of those guys would have those kinds of seasons last year? Did anyone actually believe Craig Anderson would be leading the league in save percentage this year? The problem with those kinds of signings is that you have no idea what you're really getting. Brian Eliott's at an .884 save percentage this year, and Mike Smith has a .908. With Price, we know our goalie isn't going to be putting up those kinds of numbers over the course of a season, and that's the value in a guy like him, and it's actually shockingly rare to find guys capable of consistently staying above league average.

All that being said, I don't think it's a shock to anyone that I say he hasn't lived up to his contract this year. I'm not a Price hater by any means and I facepalm as hard as anyone when people give him crap over goals like the one Boston scored the other night, but the fact is we're paying him the third highest salary of any goalie in the league and he hasn't been 6.5M good. As I said earlier he's still been above league average this year, but not enough that we should be paying him the 6.5M salary he's getting. However, I'm not ready to declare it an albatross and I have little doubt that he'll keep putting up above average numbers for the length of his deal.

Last edited by Noob616: 04-11-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Doc McKenna

IMO Price is a product of his style. We talk about it all the time. He is not a 6.5 million goalie, but he is a very good goalie. We like watching Bud because he is more of a reflex goalie Price does his side to side on the ice and uses his size to stop most pucks. His style means he SHOULD stop anything he can see. Which he sometimes doesn't. Its the reason for the criticism. The second problem is we don't see floundering saves, he his play seems vanilla. Which is in fact a good thing because it means he was in position to make the save.

I think his stick handling is a little over rated. I personally find Buds passes the puck as well as price, perhaps better. But one is considered good and one not so much. Price does have a hype thing, but is still a solid goalie. If he was paid 5-5.5 million no one would have a thing against price. The problem is contract, as always. A good positional goalie that keeps thing simple enough that we take it for granted and blame him on shots he should block, but at the same time not elite enough to make #3 money in the league.

Real simple price earns a million less, no one gets upset at his style, play etc. The problem is if you are being payed like a rock star you have to go out and perform every night!

I think price could bring us all the way, but his past playoffs have me very concerned and slightly doubtful.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Demon Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I just don't get why everyone gets so defensive over the guy. In all honesty this year he was the best goalie on the ice probably about 50% of the time. ie) half the time the other guy was better.

For a "franchise goalie", a guy getting paid 6.5 mill, some fans expect more, and I think it's fair to think that.

That doesn't mean that you need go out and look for things that may not be there (ie a weak goal every game), but you should be able to comment "oh he should have had that" without being attacked. At 25 years of age and 300 nhl games under his belt, a lot of us expected this to be his breakout season, and it's been very underwhelming so far.

I haven't lost confidence in him, I was just hoping for more this year. Although no goalies are really excelling this year, perhaps the loss of training camp and the short season has a bigger effect on these guys than the players
I think the main issue here is that bad goal = bad game. They do not necessarily belong together.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:31 AM
FF de Mars

We managed to chase Roy out of Montréal. No goalie will ever be good enough for Habs fans. That's why Price gets (unfair) criticism, in my opinion.

Closed Thread