Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
amyles
We The North

vCash: 500
You guys aren't getting a lot of respect around these boards but I hope you pull of the upset by beating Belleville for entertainment sake and for the Colts sake

Old
04-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

The giant has been awoken, thanks Missy...Bulls take this in five

Old
04-05-2013, 10:16 PM
djscooter

Have to say I think the wolves defence blew this one for them. Genovese was absolutely horrendus, Prong and Cummins looked to be Jr. C calibre players at best. On the bright side, it seems like De Haan is really coming along.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Loosie

So what are everyone's thoughts on the draft? I know people have been critical before about selecting alot of local players but it seems this year they only took 1 and in the 13th round at that...unless you count the North Bay kid as a 'local' then they took two.

Alot of Toronto area kids. And a goalie in the 2nd round is nice to see as they realize there is nothing there right now after Palazesse.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Squeet

I'm pretty happy with this draft. The tender we picked up in the 2nd is apparently VERY good, so that in itself is a win. Plus I'm told the other goalie is no slouch either.
I knew there would be a lean towards D-men since drafting forwards in the top rounds would mean CB might actually have to earn icetime against legit skill players. I'm sure I'll get the usual "leave the kid alone" response form some...but to think his place on the team doesn't and WON'T have an effect is just foolish.
The late rnd forwards have good reputations according to a few of my friends who live in the areas and who have seen some games.
Maybe a gem or two in there?? Let's hope !

Old
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
chewerjones

I have mixed reviews about the draft.

Sudbury will need some skilled forwards in the very new future, and should have taken a forward in the first round with skill- Speers, or Mackenzie.

Capobianco is a nice skater and puck mover, but he avoids traffic areas and contact. He will make a very limited impact on the team next year. They have DeHaan that they are grooming for their puck moving dman and he seems to be coming along nicely. Why mess with his development. Also, they have 8 dmen signed for next year.

Timpano I agree on, and he should be the goalie of the future.

Zeppieri is a high energy guy, but limited with skill and may make the team the year after next.

Bottom line, we didnt address our forwards and limited skill going forward. I think they had an ok draft.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I have mixed reviews about the draft.

Sudbury will need some skilled forwards in the very new future, and should have taken a forward in the first round with skill- Speers, or Mackenzie.

Capobianco is a nice skater and puck mover, but he avoids traffic areas and contact. He will make a very limited impact on the team next year. They have DeHaan that they are grooming for their puck moving dman and he seems to be coming along nicely. Why mess with his development. Also, they have 8 dmen signed for next year.

Timpano I agree on, and he should be the goalie of the future.

Zeppieri is a high energy guy, but limited with skill and may make the team the year after next.

Bottom line, we didnt address our forwards and limited skill going forward. I think they had an ok draft.
I'm fine with the Copobianco pick and the pick of Clapham and Timpano but I agree, some more skilled forwards should have been the focus of the draft. Why not take a chance on , Craievich, Coyle, Rajic, Iacobucci in the later rounds? We don't need so many defenceman and Zeppieri is a definsive forward who will be lucky to have a Kontos like impact. Hopefully Robinson turns out ok since I heard good things from him and hopefully Vilardi comes. Overall this draft gets a C +

Old
04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I'm fine with the Copobianco pick and the pick of Clapham and Timpano but I agree, some more skilled forwards should have been the focus of the draft. Why not take a chance on , Craievich, Coyle, Rajic, Iacobucci in the later rounds? We don't need so many defenceman and Zeppieri is a definsive forward who will be lucky to have a Kontos like impact. Hopefully Robinson turns out ok since I heard good things from him and hopefully Vilardi comes. Overall this draft gets a C +
You will see these higher skilled forwards come in via off season trades. Goalie situation seems to be addressed. Believe Dupuis will go with a few of current forwards. If they are going to take a "real" run at it next year they will need 3 strong OA's (one being Palazzee). Raine the other, but Thibedeau I am not sure of. They could use these, plus a few current forwards to trade off for these assets...just need them to report.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:34 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
You will see these higher skilled forwards come in via off season trades. Goalie situation seems to be addressed. Believe Dupuis will go with a few of current forwards. If they are going to take a "real" run at it next year they will need 3 strong OA's (one being Palazzee). Raine the other, but Thibedeau I am not sure of. They could use these, plus a few current forwards to trade off for these assets...just need them to report.
Sudbury has absolutely no assets required to acquire skilled young forwards.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Squeet

There's no doubt our 1st pick is a great player, but totally agree that one of the big-skill forwards should have been grabbed. That's gonna come back and bite us. THere's always BS being thrown out about "taking the best player available" ....I just don't think that's happening. As far as I'm concerned if they're not drafting certain kids because they say they won't report, draft the brats anyways and when they get told they won't play at all, that might change their minds. Templeton had that philosophy and I think it'd be a good mindset to show these incoming kids who really is in charge.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Chili Pepper

Draft 2013

very pleased with the players picked. They have now depth in the back end, and I am sure that they will pick up some toughness up front with a quality over ager, since they do have a spot open there. Also with so many defensemen I am sure a package can be put together with a goaltender for another grinder up front...now we need to get as much experience in this playoffs, and hope that everyone comes back bigger, and stronger next year....GO Wolves Go

Old
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Squeet

I think it's great they played 3 rookie D-men last night. Sure, we lost but let's face it...experience is always a good thing for young guys and getting to play against the East champs in the 2nd round of the playoffs is awesome for these kids. Will only help when looking towards next season.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Hockeyfriend

Season on the brink. Changes to come? Not Cull but players. Cull did a good job with this very young team, but see player changes on the horizon. With all the signings and kids like Vildardi in the wings expect changes to happen. Any thoughts?

Old
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Season on the brink. Changes to come? Not Cull but players. Cull did a good job with this very young team, but see player changes on the horizon. With all the signings and kids like Vildardi in the wings expect changes to happen. Any thoughts?
What players do you guys possibly see being moved out this summer?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Lanny

Did anyone else notice that Cull played his 4th round pick Eccles more than his 1st round pick Cummins.Eccles got lots of ice time, he will have to beef up though.

I would say that Cull,Genovese and Dupuis will be gone next year along with the overagers. Prong will have his work cut out to make the team.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Did anyone else notice that Cull played his 4th round pick Eccles more than his 1st round pick Cummins.Eccles got lots of ice time, he will have to beef up though.

I would say that Cull,Genovese and Dupuis will be gone next year along with the overagers. Prong will have his work cut out to make the team.
Genovese and Cull?! I thought they were regulars in your lineup.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Lanny

Cull has done nothing since his arrival. On most nights he is invisible. I think he is not motivated to play anymore.

Genovese is slow and not really affective. With some young prospects on the way, I think he is on his way out. Just my thoughts.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Hockeyfriend

I see 6 forwards with 20 goals next year which makes it tougher to play against.
3 made it this year and 3 were very close...given games missed, etc. could have been at 20 this year.
Campagna, Pancel, Baptiste, Kubalik, Harris and Kuhun. This gives you a minimum 120 goals but more likely closer to 150-160 between the bunch, with the first three closer to 30 and maybe even Kubalik in there as well.
You might even get Silk to that mark if he stays healthy...so 7 possibly. However, I believe that one or two of these kids will be shipped off for something else.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
djscooter

After the joke of an effort some of the players have given this round I really hope they're moved. Looking towards guys like Campagna, Cummins, Genovese.

On the other hand I thought Eccles looked exceptional given his lack of OHL experience. I thought Baptiste, Pancel and Cull all had pretty good games. While they can't count on Palazesse to win the game every night he has not been the same goalie in most of the playoffs compared to the regular season. 2 goals he would definitely want to have back from last night.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
After the joke of an effort some of the players have given this round I really hope they're moved. Looking towards guys like Campagna, Cummins, Genovese.

On the other hand I thought Eccles looked exceptional given his lack of OHL experience. I thought Baptiste, Pancel and Cull all had pretty good games. While they can't count on Palazesse to win the game every night he has not been the same goalie in most of the playoffs compared to the regular season. 2 goals he would definitely want to have back from last night.
They wouldnt move Campagna though would they? I know they almost did last summer but Im sure they are glad they didnt!

Old
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
They wouldnt move Campagna though would they? I know they almost did last summer but Im sure they are glad they didnt!
He was demoted to the fourth line by the end of the game, that's really all that needs to be said. When your "star" is being iced with Thibodeau you have serious issues. He shows minimal hustle. I honestly think the people running the seat service food broke a bigger sweat then he did.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Section19

I told people that you know the Wolves are having a really bad night when Cull is the biggest offensive catalyst for the team. Most of the team didn't even show up. I'm glad that Campagna actually admitted that he needed to be better if he actually wants to be a leader on this team.

Eccles has to be commended with his performance last night. Talk about trial by fire. Kid got decent amount of ice time and even some on the penalty kill while the game was still close. It has to say something Cull's confidence in him over Prong and MacFadden. They rarely saw regular ice time and none whatsoever on special teams.

As much as I was a MacFadden fan at training camp, he'll be in a tough spot to earn a spot next year. Prong will be a non-factor.

Cummins I must say has been a big disappointment IMO. I have no clue why the Wolves would've taken him in the 1st round last year. I don't seen any of his skills that were mentioned since he's been drafted. There were better defensemen taken after he was.

I don't see how this team can compete next year. Campagna has showed he can't be the #1 guy when teams focus. Pancel is a good secondary scorer. Kubalik and Kahun will get better but they won't be ready to lead the team offensively next year. Schmalz has some skills but he might not put it all together (some kids simply don't catch up to they growth spurts). They also have a bunch of players that are essentially the same (Harris, Huether, Desrocher, Cull). They can't keep all of them. I don't understand why the team loves Huether so much either. Baptiste IMO is the only true first line player the Wolves have returning next year. Burgess will be back on the team doing his role as the grocery stick separating the defense from the forwards on the bench.

On defence, the Wolves only really have De Haan who can do anything offensively. Raine has a decent shot and is a smart player but he's best as a shutdown defenseman (potential team captain IMO if Baptiste doesn't get it). Corbett is a good defenseman but he's earned the nickname Mr Glass (Silk has also joined Corbett as an honourary member of the band-aid brethren). Cummins has to step up in training camp if he wants to be part of the future. Genovese, isn't much more than a 5-6 defenseman. Eccles could potentially develop into another Raine which would be great. As mentioned before, Prong and McFadden are in tough for spots next season.

The big trade they made at the deadline is looking more lopsided with each game. Genovese hasn't been much, Palazese has been an upgrade over Vienneau but not that much and Schmalz who knows. Had this truly been a trade(s) for the future as the Wolves had advertised it, they would have gotten 2 first rounders in separate deals instead of just one.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Section19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
He was demoted to the fourth line by the end of the game, that's really all that needs to be said. When your "star" is being iced with Thibodeau you have serious issues. He shows minimal hustle. I honestly think the people running the seat service food broke a bigger sweat then he did.
The big issue with Campagna is that he folds faster than Superman on laundry day. He doesn't fight through checks. Heck, he'll avoid situations where he might have to fight through a check. He'll let an opposing player beat him to pucks and then hope he can steal the puck from them without even laying a finger on the opponent.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
howlman

Good post Section19, agree 100%. My question is when will Sudbury ever have a team like Belleville does this year? When will the Wolves become true contenders?

You look at the Bulls roster, look how many of their players have been acquired thru trade either from past years or from this year.. Cardwell, Quine, Graovac, Brassard, Sandlak, Austin, Worrad, Hooey ect... Burnett knows how to build a winner... Wolves don't have a clue...

To answer my own question, the only way Sudbury will be contenders next season is to acquire at least 3 veteran impact forwards (20-30 goal guys) and acquire two veteran top-4 Dmen... NOT GONNA HAPPEN... As well they need Palazzese and Raine to return as OA's and they need to acquire another impact OA. The Wolves need to pick a year and make some damn trades and go for it, either next year or the year after. To acquire some top end skill Wolves will need to trade guys like Cummins, Harris, Silk, Campagna, Vilardi, Leblanc, Spicer, boat load of draft picks.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
defensehockey19

I would love to add Silk to the Petes lineup next year as a depth scorer. Dont know what you guys think the price would be though?

Closed Thread