HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Best Prospect #13

View Poll Results: Best Prospect
LW Ned Lukacevic 7 22.58%
D Peter Harrold 10 32.26%
G Jeff Zatkoff 7 22.58%
G Jonathan Quick 3 9.68%
D Niclas Andersen 0 0%
LW Dany Roussin 0 0%
D Paul Baier 1 3.23%
G Barry Brust 0 0%
C Bud Holloway 1 3.23%
D T.J. Fast 1 3.23%
LW Constantin Braun 0 0%
D Ryan McGinnis 0 0%
G Yukata Fukufuji 0 0%
G Ryan Munce 0 0%
C David Meckler 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Kings Best Prospect #13

With interest waning in this project, ive added two final players to the list (Munce and Meckler). There will be no more vote in's. This might go to 15 or 20, depending on the interest left.

1(2). C Anze Kopitar - Drafted Round 1, 11th Overall in 05 (46.03%)
2(1). LW Patrick O'Sullivan - Drafted Round 2, 56th Overall in 03 (91.49%)
3(4). RW Lauri Tukonen - Drafted Round 1, 11th Overall in 04 (40.43%)
4(5). G Jonathan Bernier - Drafted Round 1, 11th Overall in 06 (55.00%)
5(3). C Brian Boyle - Drafted Round 1, 26th Overall in 03 (61.54%)
6(7). C Trevor Lewis - Drafted Round 1, 17th Overall in 06 (46.15%)
7(6). D Richard Petiot - Drafted Round 4, 116th Overall in 01 (57.14%)
8(9). RW Konstantin Pushkarev - Drafted Round 2, 44th Overall in 03 (51.52%)
9(10). RW Petr Kanko - Drafted Round 3, 66th Overall in 02 (30.00%)
10(17). D Patrik Hersley - Drafted Round 5, 139th Overall in 05 ([B]32.35%[/B)]
11(11). LW Scott Parse(won in tiebreaker - 53.33%) - Drafted Round 6, 174th Overall in 04 (29.41%)
12(8). D Joe Ryan - Drafted Round 2, 48th Overall in 06 (38.46%)

Voted Fast

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Voted Zatkoff

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
With interest waning in this project, ive added two final players to the list (Munce and Meckler).
What?! No Tenkanen? The outrage!

08-26-2006, 01:42 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

It's really a shame that both Zatkoff and Harrold have fallen this far.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 01:42 PM
RightKinger

Lukacevic

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Game Misconduct

I really don't understand the love for Lukacevic. I see him developing into another Craig Johnson at best.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
I really don't understand the love for Lukacevic. I see him developing into another Craig Johnson at best.
So speed to burn in the new NHL geared for speed, decent hands and a great pk'er? I'm on board for that.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
So speed to burn in the new NHL geared for speed, decent hands and a great pk'er? I'm on board for that.
I see speed and not much else. I do not see great hands at all.

Old
08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Game Misconduct

And there are much, much better prospects who should be ahead of him. While I hope I'm wrong, I predict he will never play in the NHL.

Old
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
RightKinger

I think Lukacevic will end up being better than Pushkarev. Maybe even by the end of next season.

Old
08-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Game Misconduct

Brady Murray, Matt Ryan and Ryan McGinnis should be added.

Old
08-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I think Lukacevic will end up being better than Pushkarev. Maybe even by the end of next season.
No offense, but I think you are completely insane.

Old
08-26-2006, 06:36 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
No offense, but I think you are completely insane.
Thanks. No offense taken you ****head. You say no offense and then you call me insane.

Old
08-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Not to put Rainer on the spot, but he wrote in Ned's profile just last month that the kid "possesses a pair of the best hands in the Kings system." I don't meant to contradict what's a perfectly acceptable opinion of yours; I'm just throwing that out there as an example of opinion on the opposite side.

I really don't know much about the kid, but he very much appears to be following in Pushkarev's path. They had very similar numbers in their final WHL seasons and at exactly the same age. Pushkarev advanced to the AHL at age 20 and, now, Lukacevic will be doing the same at the same age. With top-6 ice-time in Manchester, Ned has a good chance to match Pushkarev's AHL numbers from last season. It doesn't seem "insane" to me to think that Lukacevic might end up better. Konstantin really hasn't done much to help distance himself from an ever-improving guy like Ned.

IF Lukacevic ends up as the better NHLer, I think that it'll be because his game is more adapted to North American style hockey (coming over at age 16 to play in the WHL, instead of 19 for Pushkarev) and because Pushkarev never learned to quit the hotdogging and play conservatively. A year ago, things were a lot different, but Pushkarev's star has lost a bit of luster since then and Lukacevic's has gained some. Pushkarev may have a slight edge still, but, in terms of potential and accomplishment, the two don't seem to be that far apart anymore.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-26-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Not to put Rainer on the spot, but he wrote in Ned's profile just last month that the kid "possesses a pair of the best hands in the Kings system." I don't meant to contradict what's a perfectly acceptable opinion of yours; I'm just throwing that out there as an example of opinion on the opposite side.

I really don't know much about the kid, but he very much appears to be following in Pushkarev's path. They had very similar numbers in their final WHL seasons and at exactly the same age. Pushkarev advanced to the AHL at age 20 and, now, Lukacevic will be doing the same at the same age. With top-6 ice-time in Manchester, Ned has a good chance to match Pushkarev's AHL numbers from last season. It doesn't seem "insane" to me to think that Lukacevic might end up better. Konstantin really hasn't done much to help distance himself from an ever-improving guy like Ned.

IF Lukacevic ends up as the better NHLer, I think that it'll be because his game is more adapted to North American style hockey (coming over at age 16 to play in the WHL, instead of 19 for Pushkarev) and because Pushkarev never learned to quit the hotdogging and play conservatively. A year ago, things were a lot different, but Pushkarev's star has lost a bit of luster since then and Lukacevic's has gained some. Pushkarev may have a slight edge still, but, in terms of potential and accomplishment, the two don't seem to be that far apart anymore.
Thank You Osprey. This is exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that I thought that Lukacevic will end up being the better player. I don't have problems with Game Misconduct and he is entitled to his opinion the same way I am entitled to mine but to call someone insane is wrong especially for a moderator. If you don't agree with me then fine but don't call me insane. You could have just said I disagree.

Last edited by RightKinger: 08-26-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old
08-26-2006, 08:54 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
He can bust just as easily as any of the other prospects (I think we all need to realize that not every Kings prospect will make it to the NHL), but I think he shows promise. He was handling the puck well at high speed and was using his extra burst of speed to blow by the defensemen. And, he also used his speed to add pressure and get the opposition to get rid of the puck faster.

If he continues good habits like that, then he will be a better player than Craig Johnson. Here's hoping to proper development, though

I saw a lot more Craig Johnson in Connor James than I did in Lukacevic, although admittedly my viewings of both of them are very limited.

Edit: And I'll add that I don't think that Pushkarev and Lukacevic are that close in terms of talent. Lukacevic's faster, but Pushkarev is much more skilled with the puck, in my opinion, and more elusive.

Old
08-27-2006, 01:58 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
No offense, but you may want to take a closer look at him.

Or maybe you were referring to Brady Murray when you made your post because that sounds a lot like Murray.

I don't know who will end up being better between Lukacevic and Pushkarev, but it is not even remotely "insane" to think that Lukacevic will. Prima donnas draw "wow"s from the crowd, but then are sent packing when the shine fades. Just ask Alexi Volkov.

I don't think Lukacevic is likely to do much at the NHL level, but I don't think there is that big of a gap between him and Pushkarev to call someone insane over it.

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 02:05 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
No offense, but you may want to take a closer look at him.

Or maybe you were referring to Brady Murray when you made your post because that sounds a lot like Murray.
That's pretty close to how I saw Murray, as well. He skated well, and he shot well, but he couldn't put it together where he skates and shoots well.

Old
08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Game Misconduct

Hey guys, let me apologize for using a word ("insane") that everyone seems to think is pejorative. I don't think saying "I think you're crazy" is a personal attack, and I did not mean it as a personal attack at all. I'm very sorry if it was perceived that way and I apologize. I hereby warn myself! LOL

Yes, I disagree with Dave and everyone else who thinks Lukacevic is going to be good. You are all entitled to your opinions, and I am just expressing mine. Aside from exceptional skating ability, this kid has shown me absolutely nothing every time I have watched him play. In the WHL, you ought to be a dominant player if you're going to play in the NHL, and he wasn't even close to being that.

The comparisons to Pushkarev, in my opinion, are inappropriate because Lukacevic (at least to my knowledge) has never demonstrated any of the extraordinary non-skating skills that Pushkarev has. Ned has great difficulty finishing, is not a great passer, and is not a great stickhandler either. He's great skating around circles, but once he gets the puck I've never seen him do anything worth talking about. Not so with Pushkarev, who by the way I don't believe belongs in the top ten prospects for this team either. He has a lot of upside because of his great skill, but he needs to calm down and play with some discipline if he's going to make it. I would not be surprised to see him traded before the end of the year since he does not fit the DL model. Oh, and I also don't think it is appropriate to compare Pushkarev's numbers from his one year in junior with Lukacevic's from last year because it was Pushkarev's first year in the US and first year in junior, while that was not the case with Ned last year. That being said, Lukacevic's numbers last year are nothing to get excited about.

Anyway, I'm an open-minded guy, so I'll continue to read. I do appreciate the insights many of you are bringing, and I'm sorry if I pushed people's buttons. It would be great if scoutwhl or someone else who watched him a lot last year could chime in. I will concede that I have not seen him recently or as often as other players, so I am prepared to change my mind.

Old
08-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Game Misconduct

Let me add something else about Lukacevic. Dave mentioned "flash," and I think that's all he has. I remember the first time I watched him skate in person at what was then called HealthSouth. I watched him skate with the puck at incredible speed from the right circle to behind the net and then to the top of the slot, just blowing by everyone in the process.

I was incredibly impressed even though he proceeded to hit the goalie right in the center of the chest. And I saw some more "flash" from him as I continued to watch him.

But over time I have come to believe that he just isn't an NHL player. I don't see anything other than the amazing skating ability. In particular, I have watched him disappear over and over in game situations, watched him miss a million well-positioned shots, and watched him not compete as hard as I think he needs to in the NHL.

Now I missed this year's development camp, and I did not catch any Swift Current games last year. But I have seen him play enough that I seriously question his ability to make it in the NHL. In fact, I don't see him playing in the top 6 at Manchester. I see another Craig Johnson. Great skater. Decent penalty killer. And nothing else.

I am very interested in everyone's thoughts on why I am wrong. Who knows, maybe he has really developed in the last year and I missed it. Tubby, do you have an opinion?

Old
08-27-2006, 06:41 PM
David A. Rainer

Oh btw... voted Quick.

Add Magnus Wernblom

David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Reaper45