HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
you know, i have a feeling that a lot of people are not going to feel the slightest sympathy for you when the seattle bid for an nhl team goes down the drain.

it's amazing how deserved the fans in seattle are behaving, with virtually nothing concrete on which to base any optimism.

talk is cheap and so far, nothing has come out of seattle than talk.
Oh please, you keep on talking about being objective, but everything you post in this thread has fallen clearly in the Quebec Camp.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Oh please, you keep on talking about being objective, but everything you post in this thread has fallen clearly in the Quebec Camp.
Just wondering -- what wasn't objective about my post? Seattle's finances are in better shape than Sacramento's, but it's not because of the raw level of debt, therefore using "Sacramento's in a 2 billion hole" as a slant qualifies as 'spinning'.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
you know, i have a feeling that a lot of people are not going to feel the slightest sympathy for you when the seattle bid for an nhl team goes down the drain.

it's amazing how deserved the fans in seattle are behaving, with virtually nothing concrete on which to base any optimism.

Talk is cheap…but history has proven that with the NHL, too much talk is costly. Sure, there hasn't been the preverbal white knight that has rode out onto a news conference stage pronouncing that he will be the one to purchase an NHL team and bring it to Seattle, but how has that worked out in the past? We all know how that method worked for Jim Balsillie and his quest to bring the NHL to Hamilton, and quite frankly there is no indication that Quebec City is a clear cut favorite in NHL circles or the move probably would have happened last summer.

The truth is that if the NHL in Seattle was nothing more pie-in-the-sky musings by online hockey fans in a non-NHL market, the story would have died long ago. Even with the supposed absence of a true face, the possibility of the NHL in Seattle has been acknowledged by most mainstream media outlets and most name Seattle as a possible landing spot for the Coyotes. The same cannot be currently said for places like Houston, Portland, Kansas City, or southern Ontario.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Just wondering -- what wasn't objective about my post? Seattle's finances are in better shape than Sacramento's, but it's not because of the raw level of debt, therefore using "Sacramento's in a 2 billion hole" as a slant qualifies as 'spinning'.
It was in response to Guelphstormer

Old
04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:

I disagree with a lot of what Clowe Me has written in this thread but I have to agree that "both sides are spinning, and spinning hard".
Both sides are not doing spinning as one side has been forced to remain mostly silent during this process.

Kevin Johnson is where most of the spin has come from.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:

The group has spent close to $100,000,000 of their own money so far. Nothing but talk?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Any revenue shortfalls in the Seattle plan are to be paid for by the private investors. From what I have heard, any shortfalls in the Sacramento plan come from the city.

That's why city finances are an issue for one city and not the other.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Your newspapers and blogs have spun, as well.
Quote:

I disagree with a lot of what Clowe Me has written in this thread but I have to agree that "both sides are spinning, and spinning hard".
A lot of the talk about who has the better chance, the more debt involved, who's billionaires are better, etc.. is interesting and debatable. But this talk about 'spin' is just ridiculous!

All Seattle has been spinning are the facts that Hansen has a sales agreement in place to buy the Kings. He has agreements in place with city and county on building a new arena. He has all the land purchased for the arena. Yet you do not see him out in front of microphones bragging about all he has not yet accomplished like someone else. He has kept a low profile providing updates to the people of Seattle via his website and occasionally stepping out to 'have a beer' when a milestone has been reached (city/county votes etc.).

We all know who is spinning (KJ), for good reason because he pretty much has to. We in Seattle are just hoping it keeps going the way its been going and the less we hear from Hansen Group the better things seem to get.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
it's amazing how deserved the fans in seattle are behaving
About a great many things, this is an understatement. You don't know the half of it.

Only problem: "deserve's got nothing to do with it." ("Self-important" is the proper term for Seattle attitudes while "Ineffectual Middle Management Suck-Ups" is more the description of operations. At the same time, they have a habit of creating overpowering monopolies in that red-tide-infested fishing village with a perpetual rain cloud overhead.)

I don't blame people in Sacramento (especially bloggers) for grasping onto every morsel of information and misinformation and every possible angle in this saga. They have something to lose. Thing is: two things you absolutely positively cannot trust in this saga are bloggers and talk radio, and having sampled both, I know where most of the misguided optimism comes from.

What that means for hockey, I don't know. It's a hard read. I think the basketball issue might be made interesting by PERSONAL debt issues (this talk about city debt isn't meaningless, but it's not the NBA's primary concern), but otherwise the endgame is somewhat visible here.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post

I don't blame people in Sacramento (especially bloggers) for grasping onto every morsel of information and misinformation and every possible angle in this saga. They have something to lose.
The people in Seattle also have something to lose in this drama. Having lost the Sonics not so long ago the sense of optimism we may have could very easily turn into an even bigger disappointment if this goes the other way (which it very well could). I don't see expansion down the road in the NBA (maybe I am wrong) so all we would have to hope for is to try to get an NBA team from another city going through all of this again. And that has to happen in the next 5 years I believe. That is the only hope I have for the NHL in Seattle at this point and the foreseeable future.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Stonewall

^That's why I'm discussing this on HF and not some NBA board. Getting the Sonics would be cool, but more importantly getting the Sonics = getting an NHL team.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
^That's why I'm discussing this on HF and not some NBA board. Getting the Sonics would be cool, but more importantly getting the Sonics = getting an NHL team.
Agreed! I doubt I would go to many NBA games if any at all. Maybe go see Kobe or Lebron but I would only be a fringe fan at best if the Sonics were to return. And no I was not one of the 44,000!!

Old
04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
I agree, even if you are not a NBA fan, It is pretty much known to get what you want, the other has to come as well. What a strange world of sports fandom this places us in.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
gstommylee

Ouch Sacramento just got maloofed its being reported that the Maloofs have set a 5pm friday deadline on the back up offer. They want a back up offer that is BINDING and matches what Seattle has offered to them in case NBA denies Seattle.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/10/533...html#storylink

Old
04-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Ouch Sacramento just got maloofed its being reported that the Maloofs have set a 5pm friday deadline on the back up offer. They want a back up offer that is BINDING and matches what Seattle has offered to them in case NBA denies Seattle.

Interesting. One would think that during the meeting with the relocation comitee on April 3, a offer matching the Hansen group would have been presented. Considering a few weeks before the meeting, Stern said the first Sac offer essentially had to be increased to be considered anyways.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:19 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Interesting. One would think that during the meeting with the relocation comitee on April 3, a offer matching the Hansen group would have been presented. Considering a few weeks before the meeting, Stern said the first Sac offer essentially had to be increased to be considered anyways.
Maloofs want a guaranteed match in case NBA says no to Seattle. With out it if NBA says no then Sacramento can set the offer to a much lower price.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post

Seems like the Maloofs are warning the NBA that they still are the owners of the Kings and will control the sale to their wishes. They will not accept any lowball offers if NBA chooses to reject Hansen.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
I'm not a Seattle fan.

I'm just quite sure they're getting the next team, unless the NBA bid blows up.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm not a Seattle fan.

I'm just quite sure they're getting the next team, unless the NBA bid blows up.
We'll see Dado, and whatever happens I'm sure a lot of ''I told you so'' will be thrown around.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-10-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Can be interpreted as a skirting site rule #1 in terms of name-calling
Old
04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Seems like the Maloofs are warning the NBA that they still are the owners of the Kings and will control the sale to their wishes. They will not accept any lowball offers if NBA chooses to reject Hansen.
I'm cheering for Seattle but that sounds like spin to me. I think this is bad news for Seattle.

The Maloofs don't need to remind anyone that they control the team. The NBA can not force them to sell if they reject the Seattle offer. It seems very odd that they're now asking for a binding back-up bid. IMO this is a signal that the Maloofs are willing to sell the team to either party following the outcome of the NBA meeting.

And why would the NBA award the team to Seattle now if there's a matching offer from Sacramento and an arena pledge? Not feeling too good about this right now......

Last edited by silvercanuck: 04-10-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I'm cheering for Seattle but that sounds like spin to me. I think this is bad news for Seattle.

The Maloofs don't need to remind anyone that they control the team. The NBA can not force them to sell if they reject the Seattle offer. It seems very odd that they're now asking for a binding back-up bid. IMO this is a signal that the Maloofs are willing to sell the team to either party following the outcome of the NBA meeting.

And why would the NBA going to award the team to Seattle now if there's a matching offer from Sacramento and an arena pledge? Not feeling too good about this right now......
I agree with you, sounds like the NBA will do the right thing and keep the team where it belongs. Too bad they werent that sensitive when the Sonics were in Seattle. Anyway i think Seattle will get a team withimn the next 10 years, that i am convinced.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Stonewall

This has no source obviously but it makes sense. From the comments.

Quote:
The thin Maloof brother is sick. He looks bad and getting worse. Say a prayer for the guy. The family won't say what's up but it's clear something aint right
They might just want to sell the team and don't want to deal with the red tape anymore.

I don't feel like waiting another week+ ...

Old
04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I agree with you, sounds like the NBA will do the right thing and keep the team where it belongs. Too bad they werent that sensitive when the Sonics were in Seattle. Anyway i think Seattle will get a team withimn the next 10 years, that i am convinced.
No it doesn't sound like NBA will do the right thing.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:08 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post

And why would the NBA award the team to Seattle now if there's a matching offer from Sacramento and an arena pledge? Not feeling too good about this right now......
This isn't bad news for seattle. Maloofs are essentially telling sacramento you got 2 days to coming with a matching binding in writing back-up offer or we won't consider it. Essentially its put up or shut up.

A California senator opened his mouth saying that its a competitive offer and its a dollar-to-dollar match which is not true. Maloofs came out with the deadline after the senator opened his mouth.

They want the same offer that hansen is getting gauranteed in case the NBA says no to seattle. If there isn't a binding back up offer Sacramento can easilly offer a WHOLE lot less than 525m + the 30m

Old
04-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Matrix78

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento...nt?oid=9545687

the arena in Seattle wouldn't be ready before mi-2017.

Any chance the see the Coyotes play in the Key Arena for 4 years ?
It will not happen.

Closed Thread