HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
The more that I hear about Ristolainen, the more I like him. Big, strong, fluid skater and good passer; needs to improve his shot. Some say that he is ready for the NHL next season. A concern that I have with Nurse is that he has a thick body and has been an early maturer meaning that with age, he may get bulkier and therefore possibly slower on the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I like what I've heard about Ristolainen too, wouldn't mind if they end up with him. But Nurse has a thick body? He's 6-4 and 190 lbs, how thick can he be?
My thoughts exactly. He's no where near maxed out. He has a great frame to work with and without the fear of losing his athleticism in the process.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I like what I've heard about Ristolainen too, wouldn't mind if they end up with him. But Nurse has a thick body? He's 6-4 and 190 lbs, how thick can he be?
The mullet in his highlight video has me scared of Rasmus

I still love Ryan Pulock and see him as the offensive option (outside Jones) on the backend. Yes, he needs work defensively, but I love the shot, he hits, can skate and moves the puck.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
domestique

Here's to winning the lottery and taking Jones!

Ideally if we do not get a defenseman in the first round and draft BPA, then I hope we use our 2nd and third pick for defenseman. We are clearly not going to be overall cup favorites for the next couple years so developing homegrown talent without losing any of young core (i.e. selling off players for Yandle etc.) would IMHO be a safer and better move long term.

I think we are a good 2-3 years away from our entire young core to bring a consistent game so we have time to develop some homegrown D. Hopefully by in 2-3 years we have our goalie problem resolved, have a couple strong defensemen and our top 9 have matured to a consistent production.

As sad as last season and this season has been, I am very optimistic for the next decade of Flyers hockey!

Last edited by domestique: 04-10-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The mullet in his highlight video has me scared of Rasmus

I still love Ryan Pulock and see him as the offensive option (outside Jones) on the backend. Yes, he needs work defensively, but I love the shot, he hits, can skate and moves the puck.
Pulock isn't a very good skater in comparison to his classmates.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
FlyingPhilly

Cue Snider and half the fan base panicking after getting knocked out of the playoffs in consecutive years or Holmgren selling off assets for in season band-aids to help the playoff run. Either that or cue the trade calls when the young d-men drafted struggle to play good and make an impact after one year.

That makes me cry.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Pulock isn't a very good skater in comparison to his classmates.
Last year, I would have agreed, but that's one of the areas that I've seen the most improvement. He gets himself space all the time to get the shot off. He's not a blazer, but to me, he's probably now an above average skater.

Yes, there are still vastly better skaters in this class, but Ryan uses his skating effectively to unleash his monster shot and playmaking, so it's hard to view it as a weakness at this stage imo.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Last year, I would have agreed, but that's one of the areas that I've seen the most improvement. He gets himself space all the time to get the shot off. He's not a blazer, but to me, he's probably now an above average skater.

Yes, there are still vastly better skaters in this class, but Ryan uses his skating effectively to unleash his monster shot and playmaking, so it's hard to view it as a weakness at this stage imo.
Agree to disagree

Old
04-11-2013, 12:02 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Anyone got a update on Ghost? Last i read he tweeted like he was leaving Union.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Anyone got a update on Ghost? Last i read he tweeted like he was leaving Union.
I read the tweet I think it was taken out of context. I read it as hes going to miss his teammates with school ending in a month or 2. He should stay in school honestly. Wont hurt to stay another year.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Valery Nichushkin I would be happy with at 7-10 if he's still there. I know Russian factor, KHL 2 yr contract but this guy is Chernobyl Baby II.
Flyers are probably the least likely team to draft a Russian in the first.

If he's still there when the Flyers pick, as talented as he may be, I'd put money on the Flyers taking a good ol' Canadian kid (note: absolutely nothing wrong with that).

Hell, if the Flyers had the 1st pick in 2004 they probably would have traded out of that spot (passing on Ovie and Malkin).

Old
04-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Hell, if the Flyers had the 1st pick in 2004 they probably would have traded out of that spot (passing on Ovie and Malkin).
And we would have all given Bob Clarke the Mussolini treatment a couple years later.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

If he's still there when the Flyers pick, as talented as he may be, I'd put money on the Flyers taking a good ol' Canadian kid (note: absolutely nothing wrong with that).

I am not so sure that its Flyers management that hates Russians but maybe a realistic view of the market and the poor media coverage surrounding the team. The beat writers around the Flyers are tabloid like and those players that dont communicate well are lambasted. Even English speakers who don't speak well with the media are killed here. Steve Downie, Mike Richards are two examples. It is also why a guy like Danny Briere walks on water with his playoff production but scarcely a mention of how terrible defensively he is or his lack of production in the regular season. He speaks well to the media so someone else is always to blame for the goals scored when he is on the ice. Being able to communicate with the media is a requirement for any top pick here.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 04-11-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I think they would have drafted Ovie and/or Malkin. Those guys were "can't miss" prospects and IIRC had no strings attached in terms of future KHL contracts. They were in the draft and wanted to play immediately. Niuchsken or whatever is certainly a highly regarded prospect, but nowhere near the Malkin/OV level and there is that cloud around him because of the KHL contract.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Curufinwe

The KHL contract is a deal breaker for me. Don't use a top 10 pick on a player who may never come to the NHL when there are so many other good options.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The KHL contract is a deal breaker for me. Don't use a top 10 pick on a player who may never come to the NHL when there are so many other good options.
I've heard that, in the past, the Flyers have seen KHL contracts as a killer as far as drafting a prospect is considered. So scratch anyone who hs one from a list of prospects. Its too risky as far as having them ever come over here or come while they have good years left in their careers.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Psuhockey

Tank update for those that are hoping for such a thing:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=league

Edmonton and Nashville are closing fast having lots 4 in a row. In Nashville's case they have played two more games and sit 1 point out so they will probably push the Flyers down the ranks. Tonight's game and Saturdays against Buffalo are crucial. A couple of wins and the Flyers will finish out of the top 8.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Curufinwe

Go Sens, go Sabres.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think they would have drafted Ovie and/or Malkin. Those guys were "can't miss" prospects and IIRC had no strings attached in terms of future KHL contracts. They were in the draft and wanted to play immediately. Niuchsken or whatever is certainly a highly regarded prospect, but nowhere near the Malkin/OV level and there is that cloud around him because of the KHL contract.
Didn't Malkin have to sneak out of Russia because his team wouldn't let him leave?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
Didn't Malkin have to sneak out of Russia because his team wouldn't let him leave?
Yes, something like that. He had a contract with a team in Russia and he left training camp to come to North America. There was a lawsuit to prevent him from playing here that was eventually thrown out I think.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
JayB

Is it possible to trade down this year? And what is the right price? If we have something like 2-5th pick, is that even possible (in value) to get two or more first rounders in 8-15?

Im asking cause i want really draft few good defenders like Nurse,Ristolainen and Zadorov.

These are just speculation but how it looks in draft day:

Briere+2nd to Buffalo to get 1st (at this time eight pick) to get Nurse.
Our first to Columbus for their own 1st (ninth)+NYRs first(Sixteenth)
NYRs first (sixteenth)+Gustafson to Devils for their 1st (Thirteenth) to get Zadorov.

I was using draftsite.coms list wondering these picks.

How you think that kind of draft day?

Old
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
And we would have all given Bob Clarke the Mussolini treatment a couple years later.
He didn't get the Mussolini treatment for drafting Mike Ricci over Jagr.....

Supposedly he was high on Jagr but also had concerns about signing him..hence Ricci..a player we wanted to be a 40 goal scorer and who ultimately became a very good depth player and grinder type and won a cup ... elsewhere of course (Quebec/Colorado).

Former Flyers win cups elsewhere don't you know....Bob will probably win one before the Flyers do.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:28 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Is it possible to trade down this year? And what is the right price? If we have something like 2-5th pick, is that even possible (in value) to get two or more first rounders in 8-15?

Im asking cause i want really draft few good defenders like Nurse,Ristolainen and Zadorov.

NYRs first (sixteenth)+Gustafson to Devils for their 1st (Thirteenth) to get Zadorov.

Buffalo probably wants nothing to do with Briere, they are in full rebuild mode and would value that high pick way more than Danny. Columbus might be interested in moving up if we are high enough and there is someone they like but certainly not at the price of both of their first rounders. And even though 16th to 13th isn't a huge jump the Devils aren't going to do a division rival any favors just for Gus.

To be honest I also think it's much more likely we end up drafting in the 7-10 range than 2-5. I hope nobody is hoping too hard for Jones, Mackinnon, or Drouin.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
To be honest I also think it's much more likely we end up drafting in the 7-10 range than 2-5. I hope nobody is hoping too hard for Jones, Mackinnon, or Drouin.
Agreed. I gave up on the the whole top 3 pick thing when we hit that 4 game winning streak. I think anywhere in between the 5-10 picks are more realistic. I also don't see the Flyers trading down.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He didn't get the Mussolini treatment for drafting Mike Ricci over Jagr.....

Supposedly he was high on Jagr but also had concerns about signing him..hence Ricci..a player we wanted to be a 40 goal scorer and who ultimately became a very good depth player and grinder type and won a cup ... elsewhere of course (Quebec/Colorado).

Former Flyers win cups elsewhere don't you know....Bob will probably win one before the Flyers do.
You never know how these kids turn out most of the time. Mike was the one I wanted the brass to draft out of the big five and I still feel he would have had a bigger impact had he stayed here. But it worked out well for him. Back then signing Czech players was a up in the air.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post

Then you wake up and realize you were dreaming....

Closed Thread