Notices

Dustin Byfuglien and the Trade Market

Old
04-09-2013, 05:59 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriIQ View Post
I'd love to trade Big Buff for Wayne Simmonds, Our team becomes much more balanced with that one move. A centre could also be interesting, as we could move Little to 2nd line RW.
I would love to have Simmonds on this team. Been a big fan of his for a few years now!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
AtlSioux

vCash: 500
Despite that he adds a different dynamic on the PP and while rushing the puck, Buff is a liability in the defensive zone. I'm all in favor of moving him...

Would like to see something like

To STL
Buff & 2nd (2013 comp pick - 59th)

To Peg
P Bergland and Cole/Shattenkirk

Or

To Edm
Buff, Postma/Kulda & 2nd

To Wpg
Yakupov and Hemsky & 6th

AtlSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlSioux View Post
Despite that he adds a different dynamic on the PP and while rushing the puck, Buff is a liability in the defensive zone. I'm all in favor of moving him...

To STL

To Peg

Or

To Edm
Buff, Postma/Kulda & 2nd

To Wpg
Yakupov and Hemsky & 6th
I don't think the Blues want to lose a C, and the difference between Cole and Shattenkirk is pretty huge.

Surprisingly I've seen more acceptance to move Eberle on the Oil board, but I'm not sure if the Oil want to trade one of their young guys for a RHD. I think they would be more interested in a LHD. (Unless they want to move Schultz down to the second pair and move Buff to the top pair or something).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Flair Hay

Buff+ for Eberle is probably hella unlikely in actuality but man I can't think of a guy I'd want at RW more than him that's even remotely available.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Buff+ for Eberle is probably hella unlikely in actuality but man I can't think of a guy I'd want at RW more than him that's even remotely available.
If the + is a 2nd round pick or something of similar value I'm in. Doubt the Oilers go for it.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlSioux View Post

To STL

To Peg

Or

To Edm
Buff, Postma/Kulda & 2nd

To Wpg
Yakupov and Hemsky & 6th

If the Oilers were willing to do that deal I would in a second. I still think Byfuglien is on the edge of being a top 5 defenseman in the league but his play the past few weeks has really soured me.

Getting Hemsky and Yakupov pretty much solves our issues at forward.

04-10-2013, 08:14 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
[/B]

If the Oilers were willing to do that deal I would in a second. I still think Byfuglien is on the edge of being a top 5 defenseman in the league but his play the past few weeks has really soured me.

Getting Hemsky and Yakupov pretty much solves our issues at forward.
god I want nothing to do with hurtsky

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
god I want nothing to do with hurtsky
It's a meme that Hemsky is hurt all the time.

True, he does miss games every year but he manages to play 70-80 most seasons.

All the while putting up decent points. He is also not afraid to get hit. He was dynamite in the playoffs in 06.

I think he might make a perfect linemate for Kane, plus he is an extremely exciting player to watch, and could help our atrocious powerplay. He's a very good half-board QB.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:33 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

vCash: 1337
I wouldn't really want Hemsky. Would much rather have Gagner if that could be worked. Would be willing to add some depth defenceman or pick to upgrade it to Yakupov and Gagner.

StronGeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Vapour Trails

Anyone who thinks trading Buff is a good idea is out of their mind.

He's really cleaned up his defensive play, making much better decisions now. He's easily one of the most powerful players in the league. He has better offensive skills than the vast majority of the forwards and can punish the opposition with big hits.

Vapour Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post

He's really cleaned up his defensive play, making much better decisions now. He's easily one of the most powerful players in the league. He has better offensive skills than the vast majority of the forwards and can punish the opposition with big hits.
Cleaned up his defensive play? You mean didn't make heinous defensive mistakes in the last game like he did the previous 10?

Yeah, totally has completely turned the boat around.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
lablite47

Quote:

I can think of at least 2 punishing hits by Buff in the last 2 seasons!

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
It's a meme that Hemsky is hurt all the time.

True, he does miss games every year but he manages to play 70-80 most seasons.

All the while putting up decent points. He is also not afraid to get hit. He was dynamite in the playoffs in 06.

I think he might make a perfect linemate for Kane, plus he is an extremely exciting player to watch, and could help our atrocious powerplay. He's a very good half-board QB.
That would give us killer depth on the RW.

Quote:

To be fair there are some anti-Buff people. But there are people on every board here that don't like some of the guys people on HF Jets might think are universally loved.

I think for the people that still really like Buff, but that are open to dealing him are thinking about it not because they think he is bad, but that we have a glaring hole at forward, and need to do something to fill it.

If we could pick up another top 6 forward or two without moving Buff or other roster players, and then move one of Buff, Bogo, or eventually Trouba to the left to run the 3 of them and Enstrom in the top 4 that would be awesome too.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

Quote:

Really? I turned on the game last night and literally within 10 seconds he gave up an odd man rush.

I mean, there's a bunch to like about him but he's a huge defensive liability.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Hank Chinaski

Reading all these unhappy comments about Buff, coupled with reading some other threads on the NHL main board has lead me to one conclusion: hockey fans generally place way too much emphasis on giveaways.

No, Buff hasn't been a stalwart on defense this year, just like he wasn't for much of last year. He does make some risky moves and commits some poor turnovers. Tell me though, is there a defenseman in the league that can create the offense that Buff can? This is essentially a 4 forward team, and I think it can be argued that the only reason the Jets aren't hanging with the dregs is because they've got two defensemen that are in rarefied air when it comes to creating offense.

Regardless of how unorthodox he looks, fact is that Buff continually creates more chances than he allows. I can understand the desire to deal him in the sense that it may change the makeup of the team in a positive sense. Then again, it may have no net effect at all.

Quote:

I was honestly beginning to feel like I was the only one here who shared this opinion.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
A storm is coming

Eberle would be amazing, buff, postma and a 2nd for eberle and a 5th?

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Bob E

Hemsky may be the last RW I would want in a deal for Buff.

He is terribly overrated, imo. He would frustrate the hell out of everyone, and 90% of the posters will want him traded within the year.

Personally don't think he would work well with Kane at all. Both players are way too selfish.

The fact he was good in '06 playoffs means very little to me. That was 7 yrs ago. He hasn't done much to get them back there since, imo.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
StronGeer
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Huge overpayment IMO. I doubt Eberle ever has a season like last year, so if that's what you're using to project his value then I think that's ill-advised.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
If I'm edmonton, I want nothing to do with Buff. They're not where they need to be now to take on guys at his age. They should have 5+ years of beasting out of the talent in that core if they do it right, (IMO doing it right means moving one of their top 2 overall pick forwards for someone who fills a different hole. D, likely, but for edmonton a younger one who will be peaking with his team in a few years makes more sense) and I don't think Buff offers that kind of longevity for them.

Sidenote:
I do think they have too much of one thing and not enough of another, and they've got some extremely valueble trade pieces in their position of strength.

Heck if I had 4 CROSBY'S and had other holes, I'd STILL let go of one of my immense value players in exchange for strengthening the team overall.

I don't get why edmonton continues to suck. If you've got that kind of raw talent, either make it work, or move it for other raw talent that'll make it work.
/backtotopic
I however, DO want Buff if I'm a team that expects to be a contender for the next 5 years. THAT is where his value lies in trade. If you're a team who is at their best right now, Buff will only make you more dangerous. I'd love Eberle here but I don't think that's who needs buff, and therefore would pay the most.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
A storm is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Huge overpayment IMO. I doubt Eberle ever has a season like last year, so if that's what you're using to project his value then I think that's ill-advised.
I know it's a bit of a overpayment, but I just imagine a line of Kane, burmi and eberle and think wow

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
People might not like it... but if we look at it from Edmonton's perspective, probably Buff + Burmistrov. At least.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Huffer

Quote:
People might not like it... but if we look at it from Edmonton's perspective, probably Buff + Burmistrov. At least.
Maybe if they also give us Klefbom.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Maybe if they also give us Klefbom.
That'd be nice but I doubt it. Eberle is a hella talented player that doesn't have some of the question marks Buff does. Klefblom arguably is more valuable to them than Burmistrov does.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:56 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Everyone here seems to overrate Buff. If he had as high as value as he does in these trade proposals, no one here would want to trad ehim.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Everyone here seems to overrate Buff. If he had as high as value as he does in these trade proposals, no one here would want to trad ehim.
then why did a good chunk of teams in the NHL call chevy asking about him at the deadline?

He has allot of value

That is when you trade him (not that I am advocating to trade him), while it is sky high

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote