HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Isles Enforcer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
BPT got shut out 3-0 tonight. Bunch of fights at the end of the game.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Despite being second in rookie scoring (he did play more games than others tho) Brock Nelson was not selected to the AHL all-rookies team today.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Despite being second in rookie scoring (he did play more games than others tho) Brock Nelson was not selected to the AHL all-rookies team today.
That makes no sense, 2nd in rookie scoring, yet doesn't make the all-rookie team ? Who makes these selections ? Stevie Wonder ?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
That makes no sense, 2nd in rookie scoring, yet doesn't make the all-rookie team ? Who makes these selections ? Stevie Wonder ?
It's really not as crazy as you make it sound. Al three forwards (Spooner, Toffolli, Zucker) selected had higher points per game than Nelson.

Nelson was close, as was Sgarbossa. Statistically speaking, Those were the 5 best rookie eligible forwards in the AHL this year that played at least 50 games. Rajala, Granlund, and Killorn also had very impressive PPG numbers but didn't play enough games IMO.

Stinks that Nelson didn't get the honor, but it's not like he was robbed, the others were deserving.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
SI

What to do with Brock - Nino and the gang?

When (not if) BPT is eliminated from the playoffs, what do the Isles do with Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan, Nino and Ullstrom? Do they extend their season with the big club. Out of the group I feel Brock and Donovan can make an immediate impact.

Brock could be a serious upgrade to Keith Aucoin
Nino could ride shotgun on JT's line
Boyes can drop down to Nelson's line with Grabner on his left.
Donovan can slot on the blueline over Martinek/Carkner.

Are the Isles better with Brock replacing Aucoin, Nino replacing Joensuu, and Donovan replacing Martinek?

We don't want to mess with the Chemistry, but I think the future is now - bring the boys up and let's set our sights on Ottawa!

Old
04-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

This might go in the Soundtigers thread.

To be honest, I don't think they do anything with them. If the current Islander team makes the playoffs, not a one them is being replaced at this juncture by an untested BPort kid.

MAYBE one will be brought up to the show for a look or added to a the extended PO roster.

Hopefully, Nino will go play for Switzerland at the WC.

I guess there'd be a majorly outside chance that Donovan could perhaps get an invite to the WC, depending on what Dmen turn down the invitate from USA Hockey after the season.

The others will be conducting their spring vacations.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 04-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Let one compete for a spot. There is enough floating refuse on this club that could use some motivation to stay off the golf course.

That might even explain some of the additional effort from some of the floaters last game.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
This might go in the Soundtigers thread.

To be honest, I don't think they do anything with them. If the current Islander team makes the playoffs, not of one them is being replaced at this juncture by an untested BPort kid.

MAYBE one will be brought up to the show for a look or added to a the extended PO roster.

Hopefully, Nino will go play for Switzerland at the WC.

I guess there'd be a majorly outside chance, that Donovan could perhaps get an invite to the WC, depending on what Dmen turn down the invitate from USA Hockey after the season.

The others will be conducting their spring vacations.
I created a new thread (i'm still a rookie here), but this isn't Sound Tigers news.

You'd think Ullstrom would get recalled.

I think Brock Nelson could be a huge upgrade over Aucoin and I believe Donovan can be a great addition to the blueline. Nothing is set in stone. We are in a good position and playing well. I don't see how it can hurt to have these guys up with the big club for the last 7 games of the season.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
I created a new thread (i'm still a rookie here), but this isn't Sound Tigers news.

I think Brock Nelson could be a huge upgrade over Aucoin and I believe Donovan can be a great addition to the blueline. Nothing is set in stone. We are in a good position and playing well. I don't see how it can hurt to have these guys up with the big club for the last 7 games of the season.
The team is playing really well right now. I don't think they should mess with the chemistry.
On the Bridgeport side, the Soundtigers can still make the playoffs. They need all hands on deck.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

Donovan should be added. If we face an Injury on D he will be needed...

Old
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Donovan should be added. If we face an Injury on D he will be needed...
I agree. He makes for one heck of a black ace.

We could actually ice a really skilled black ace squad now that I think about it...

Old
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Did Pedan shrink while crossing the border? On the AHL site, he's listed at 6'0". He was easily in the 6'4" range when he played for Guelph a couple of weeks ago.

At this rate, by the time he gets called up to the Islanders he'll be Nathan Gerbe's height.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:11 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Did Pedan shrink while crossing the border? On the AHL site, he's listed at 6'0". He was easily in the 6'4" range when he played for Guelph a couple of weeks ago.

At this rate, by the time he gets called up to the Islanders he'll be Nathan Gerbe's height.
Maybe Bill Stewart drove Pedan across the border in his trunk and he's still stretching out?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:43 PM
leaponover

No reason to mess with chemistry right now it is at an all time high!!! The best in decades!!! Maybe even the best since 1993 and it was pretty damn high then.

Sure, you call up that defenseman to fill in for injuries but with Strait coming back I don't think that will be necessary. I believe you keep everything status quo. JJ is not a savior nor will anyone else from BP be that way. They need to keep working hard and grinding out wins.

I'm a believer in this team right now....regardless of how things go against the Bruins.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:10 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

How many NHL playoff games does Aucoin have versus Nelson? You are using some very interesting language "huge" and "great" for guys with minimal NHL experience during the last seven games of a do or die playoff push. Not takin that bet. Sorry.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
How many NHL playoff games does Aucoin have versus Nelson? You are using some very interesting language "huge" and "great" for guys with minimal NHL experience during the last seven games of a do or die playoff push. Not takin that bet. Sorry.
Nevermind NHL playoffs, how about professional playoff games? Keith Aucoin has played in 97 playoff games between the NHL and the AHL. Brock Nelson has played in 0.

For a team that seems poised to take the next step in their development, playoff experience from any source would be very welcomed.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
rikker

'IF' the boys on the big team are playing listlessly, sure, bring up a kid or two to light a fire under their arses. if not, leave as is...

Old
04-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Nevermind NHL playoffs, how about professional playoff games? Keith Aucoin has played in 97 playoff games between the NHL and the AHL. Brock Nelson has played in 0.

For a team that seems poised to take the next step in their development, playoff experience from any source would be very welcomed.
Actually he played in 2 last season. Just sayin....

Old
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
When (not if) BPT is eliminated from the playoffs, what do the Isles do with Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan, Nino and Ullstrom? Do they extend their season with the big club. Out of the group I feel Brock and Donovan can make an immediate impact.

Brock could be a serious upgrade to Keith Aucoin
Nino could ride shotgun on JT's line
Boyes can drop down to Nelson's line with Grabner on his left.
Donovan can slot on the blueline over Martinek/Carkner.

Are the Isles better with Brock replacing Aucoin, Nino replacing Joensuu, and Donovan replacing Martinek?

We don't want to mess with the Chemistry, but I think the future is now - bring the boys up and let's set our sights on Ottawa!
I smell these black aces up in the press box, watching... waiting.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
No reason to mess with chemistry right now it is at an all time high!!! The best in decades!!! Maybe even the best since 1993 and it was pretty damn high then.

Sure, you call up that defenseman to fill in for injuries but with Strait coming back I don't think that will be necessary. I believe you keep everything status quo. JJ is not a savior nor will anyone else from BP be that way. They need to keep working hard and grinding out wins.

I'm a believer in this team right now....regardless of how things go against the Bruins.
Ya know, I always thought they could bring in someone better than Volek from Capital District way back when. I mean Volek was a has been.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
InformTheMasses

Sound Tigers trail Syracuse 2-1 after 2 Periods. Lone Goal from Campbell on a Matt Donovan Assist.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Isles Enforcer

Nino ties it at 2.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Nino ties it at 2.
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1010940

Says Nilsson got an assist and he isn't even in net today. Did they put him out on the PP???? lol

Old
04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1010940

Says Nilsson got an assist and he isn't even in net today. Did they put him out on the PP???? lol
Nah, I dont even think Defazio is correct, he was out there, but dont think he touched it. Donovan is one assist for sure. Its either Strome or Defazio on the second assist (depending on if Defazio touched it). Nelson won the draw.

Posting shortly, you can see for yourself, but the quality is crappy, and no replays, so I had to do the replay myself.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Nelson won the draw.
I sort of figured it was Nelson, I just got a chuckle out of the backup Goalie being credited with an assist(when he is not even playing)

Closed Thread