HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Stonewall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento...nt?oid=9545687

the arena in Seattle wouldn't be ready before mi-2017.

Any chance the see the Coyotes play in the Key Arena for 4 years ?
It will not happen.
That's not the greatest source...

Old
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
gstommylee

Quote:

It will not happen.
That's bogus. The arena will begin construction as soon as January 2014 once the EIS is done and NBA approves the sale of the Kings to Hansen's group.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I'm cheering for Seattle but that sounds like spin to me. I think this is bad news for Seattle.

The Maloofs don't need to remind anyone that they control the team. The NBA can not force them to sell if they reject the Seattle offer. It seems very odd that they're now asking for a binding back-up bid. IMO this is a signal that the Maloofs are willing to sell the team to either party following the outcome of the NBA meeting.

And why would the NBA award the team to Seattle now if there's a matching offer from Sacramento and an arena pledge? Not feeling too good about this right now......
Not spin just my first reaction. If NBA rejects Hansen that puts the Maloofs in a very bad spot and could get lowballed. I think they must have a good idea what the Sacramento offer is which forced their hard stand. Just an opinion.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Shaz

Quote:

It will not happen.
Lol that is no where near accurate

Old
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
I'm cheering for Seattle but that sounds like spin to me. I think this is bad news for Seattle.

The Maloofs don't need to remind anyone that they control the team.
The Maloofs have $30,000,000 reasons not to shop around for a back up bid. This smells of David Stern.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I agree with you, sounds like the NBA will do the right thing and keep the team where it belongs.
...in Seattle. If the NBA blocks the Seattle deal, expect anti-trust lawsuits. You can thank the State of Washington for the Toronto Bluejays.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
...in Seattle. If the NBA blocks the Seattle deal, expect anti-trust lawsuits. You can thank the State of Washington for the Toronto Bluejays.

Can you explain?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Can you explain?
I think the poster may be referring to the legal action taken after the Seattle lost the team that become the Brewers that ultimately resulted in Seattle and Toronto becoming expansion sister cities a few years later.

That's my guess, anyway.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
gstommylee

I doubt Hansen will be using the NBA. That is one way to get the city blacklisted by the NBA and other leagues especially the NHL.

I only see the maloofs suing the NBA they have nothing to lose.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I think the poster may be referring to the legal action taken after the Seattle lost the team that become the Brewers that ultimately resulted in Seattle and Toronto becoming expansion sister cities a few years later.

That's my guess, anyway.

Okay, thanks, D. I'm just trying to figure out why anti-trust is coming up in the context of this discussion. Hansen wants an NBA team in Seattle. I think he is willing to work with the NBA to make that happen, along the lines of Chipman in Winnipeg. My sense is that there's nothing overly contentious about it. In theory, the Maloofs could move the team themselves, and then sell it.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
The Maloofs have $30,000,000 reasons not to shop around for a back up bid. This smells of David Stern.
Im not following your reference to $30 million.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Can you explain?
Pilots were stolen away from WA, state sued the AL, won, and the AL expanded by two teams in 1977, one of which was the Toronto Bluejays. Without that lawsuit, the AL would have likely stayed at the same # teams as the NL had.

If the NBA screws Seattle next week, expect a lawsuit. What more can we do? They never gave us a chance to keep the Sonics. If we can't buy an existing team and they won't expand, what choice do we have but to sue? We dropped the lease lawsuit to appease the NBA, it is time they appease us.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

So everyone is freaking out

Bad for the good guys: stern wants team in cowtown.

Good for the good guys: owners want team in Seattle.

Other good stuff: Hansen would create RSN that would bring nba team 40 mil a year, mOre than 80% more sactown.

Arena would be complete by sept 2015.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Okay, thanks, D. I'm just trying to figure out why anti-trust is coming up in the context of this discussion. Hansen wants an NBA team in Seattle. I think he is willing to work with the NBA to make that happen, along the lines of Chipman in Winnipeg. My sense is that there's nothing overly contentious about it. In theory, the Maloofs could move the team themselves, and then sell it.
Maloofs can't own the team and move it to seattle. Our MOU doesn't allow it. Too much collateral or something like that. The MOU is specific to a certain either 40 or 60% (i can't recall off hand) of how much the team can be used as collateral. Maloofs are way above that i believe.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So everyone is freaking out

Bad for the good guys: stern wants team in cowtown.
Link please. I think Stern and the owners heavily prefer Seattle. The Friday deadline is the last nail in the Sacramento coffin. Do you honestly think they can/will match the Seattle bid? I don't. The numbers do not pencil out for that market. I think the Sacramento folks were hoping for a local discount.

Quote:
Im not following your reference to $30 million.
It's the price of the exclusive bargaining agreement with Hansen.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I doubt Hansen will be using the NBA. That is one way to get the city blacklisted by the NBA and other leagues especially the NHL.
State of Washington with the lawsuit. Tax money went towards Key Arena, and that lease was broken 2 years early to appease the NBA. If we can't buy a team to move it and they won't expand, we have no choice but to sue.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Pilots were stolen away from WA, state sued the AL, won, and the AL expanded by two teams in 1977, one of which was the Toronto Bluejays. Without that lawsuit, the AL would have likely stayed at the same # teams as the NL had.

If the NBA screws Seattle next week, expect a lawsuit. What more can we do? They never gave us a chance to keep the Sonics. If we can't buy an existing team and they won't expand, what choice do we have but to sue? We dropped the lease lawsuit to appease the NBA, it is time they appease us.

Who would sue the NBA? Seattle? On what legal grounds?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Would be maloofs. Anti-trust for dictating who the Maloofs can sell or not sell to essentially forcing them to only accept offer by Sacramento group.

Quote:
State of Washington with the lawsuit. Tax money went towards Key Arena, and that lease was broken 2 years early to appease the NBA. If we can't buy a team to move it and they won't expand, we have no choice but to sue.
And be backlisted by the NBA not going to help here.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylBee View Post
And be backlisted by the NBA not going to help here.
Just like we were blacklisted by the AL when we sued them.... They blacklist us, *poof* to their monopoly. We have more on the NBA than we did with the AL.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Just like we were blacklisted by the AL when we sued them.... They blacklist us, *poof* to their monopoly. We have more on the NBA than we did with the AL.
But isn't that the fact there was a settlement allowing the sonics to leave prevent seattle or state from suing regarding those issues.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Would be maloofs. Anti-trust for dictating who the Maloofs can sell or not sell to essentially forcing them to only accept offer by Sacramento group.

The NHL Phoenix case frames this nicely. The NBA retains the right to approve new owners. The Maloofs own the rights to Sacramento, not Seattle. What the Maloofs could do, possibly, assuming they had an arena to go to, would be to move their team themselves, a la Davis.

Since Hansen is working on a deal to build an arena, it's really not possible for the Maloofs to move there and certainly not any time soon.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
It's the price of the exclusive bargaining agreement with Hansen.
Ah ok forgot about that. I'm a little confused about the exclusivity clause though now that the Maloofs have asked for a binding bid. Wouldn't asking for a bid break it? Who knows. This one is for the lawyers.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
But isn't that the fact there was a settlement allowing the sonics to leave prevent seattle or state from suing regarding those issues.
The State of WA was not involved with that settlement.

If the NBA blocks the Hansen deal without the promise of an expansion team, I sure hope the city looks back at that deal and consider any legal action they can as well. We did the NBA a favor, not vice versa, I doubt the city is forbidden to sue.

We the taxpayers built an arena under the expectations of the NBA being played in Seattle until at least 2010; the NBA broke that agreement.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Hansen's group might sue based on Tortious Interference

Old
04-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Ah ok forgot about that. I'm a little confused about the exclusivity clause though now that the Maloofs have asked for a binding bid. Wouldn't asking for a bid break it?
Yes, which is why this screams David Stern, not Maloofs.

Both the Sacramento arena situation and potential ownership group situation is in flux, by setting a firm deadline, David Stern can bring real clarity to this situation. I think Stern's primary motivation is a united, almost unanimous vote.

Closed Thread