HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
04-10-2013, 12:38 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
It's clear he's a little overwhelmed in his own zone with the strength of the guys he's playing against. He needs to settle his game down a bit -- makes rookie mistakes with some high-risk passes when he should probably just get it to the strong side winger.

That said, his vision, his skating, his hands, puck control, and for the large part (aforementioned notwithstanding) his decision making has translated well. He racks up a ton of shots too. Routinely finishes the game with the most shots for on the Marlies. He's getting his chances, but he's an 18 year old defensemen, and it shows at times.
He has always been a shot machine in the WHL it's one of his greatest skills on the offensive side. It's not just a nice package of tools but he consistently produces shots and chances, a tangible impact aside from just looking nice out there. Nice to see that continue. Great, great prospect.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:55 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
It's clear he's a little overwhelmed in his own zone with the strength of the guys he's playing against. He needs to settle his game down a bit -- makes rookie mistakes with some high-risk passes when he should probably just get it to the strong side winger.

That said, his vision, his skating, his hands, puck control, and for the large part (aforementioned notwithstanding) his decision making has translated well. He racks up a ton of shots too. Routinely finishes the game with the most shots for on the Marlies. He's getting his chances, but he's an 18 year old defensemen, and it shows at times.
Thank you, most of that is good to hear. No one in Toronto should be worrying about the offensive numbers he is putting up, that will come with his talent. I'm just hoping he can adjust well defensively/positionally with the big boys.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
The word you're looking for is slight.
You see those quotation marks I used? They're there for a reason...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Liles
How many Liles can you have on one team.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
How many Liles can you have on one team.
Hence why I suggest that's he should be the one to go. I'd rather have Gardiner and Rielly instead of Gardiner, Rielly, and Liles.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Liles will be gone before Rielly is a legitimate threat in the NHL.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
If this kid was really any good, he'd be pulling a Justin Schultz right now and have at least 10 goals, 20 points, and a +30 rating.

Bust.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Kyle93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
If this kid was really any good, he'd be pulling a Justin Schultz right now and have at least 10 goals, 20 points, and a +30 rating.

Bust.
Schultz is also what 4 years older than Rielly?

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
RomersWorld*

9 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, -4 so far in the AHL.

So is he playing better than his stats or what? I realize that he has great skating but he hasn't produced elite numbers in the WHL and now the AHL so far. The excuse in the WHL was because his team was bad but what is the excuse for the AHL? Not a big enough sample? I am just a bit surprised to see his statistics, not even able to be a PPG in the WHL and now the awful stats in the AHL when this guy is supposed to be a sure-fire NHLer next year and a dynamite prospect.

Anyone?

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He can skate and pass that's what Centre's do.

Since returning to the lineup the Leafs have been better, NO?

No way Liles, Gardiner, and Rielly can play for Carlyle.

Red Kelly and Four Cups.
Yes let's trade Rielly or Gardiner because Liles has played well recently..

If Liles doesn't get bought out and having 3 pick moving dmen is bad, then we keep him down, no?

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post

So is he playing better than his stats or what? I realize that he has great skating but he hasn't produced elite numbers in the WHL and now the AHL so far. The excuse in the WHL was because his team was bad but what is the excuse for the AHL? Not a big enough sample? I am just a bit surprised to see his statistics, not even able to be a PPG in the WHL and now the awful stats in the AHL when this guy is supposed to be a sure-fire NHLer next year and a dynamite prospect.

Anyone?
Played a full WHL season, transitioning to new league, new system, higher level when everyone in the AHL have already being playing a full season.

Give him a pre season at that level at youll see much different results.

Jump from WHL to AHL is pretty big and even harder when doing it the end.
Ill never judge a player based on 9 game AHL stint like this

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Played a full WHL season, transitioning to new league, new system, higher level when everyone in the AHL have already being playing a full season.

Haters will though.

He's also still very young.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Man Bear Pig

What always blows me away is that for 95% of young players you can say they need to get bigger and stronger yet it's always overlooked. There aren't many teenagers who are 6'2 220 lbs and can come right into the league and not look overpowered, especially when it comes to D.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
mapes

I'd also like to point out, PK Subban didn't put up as good of numbers as Rielly in the CHL at that age.

Gardiner had 3 points his first 10 AHL games

Karlsson had 10 points in 45 games in the SEL. Bust, right?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Well said. I'll be going to the marlies final home game so it'll be my first chance seeing him live. I've only seen a couple games but despite the few defensive lapses, his puck rushing ability seems to have translated well, although right now he's prefering to pass more rather than rush the puck which is the opposite of what I'd rather see him doing.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I'd also like to point out, PK Subban didn't put up as good of numbers as Rielly in the CHL at that age.

Gardiner had 3 points his first 10 AHL games

In the case of Karlsson and Subban, they both basically went on a crazy improvement curve in one respect or another. Which doesn't happen to many Dmen. At all.

Could happen for Rielly, for sure. But if the argument is that Rielly is following a similar pattern then the same argument could apply to many other Dmen out there that have lower initial offensive totals.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:

Anyone?
Yes.

04-10-2013, 09:49 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

Anyone?
4th in the WHL in defensive scoring despite missing 12 games and playing for one of the worst teams in the league (significantly worse than the 3 ahead of him, 2 of which were 5th year players) is not elite?

Well then.

The jump to the AHL is huge and rarely does an 18 year old tear it up. His skill is there, but hes still getting his feet wet no need to worry yet.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
You have to watch him play to see how well he does.

He generates a ton of shots, makes some great outlet passes, skates like the wind, and plays good D. Points will come. Rielly is a very smart player.

I remember people saying that all Nazem Kadri does is put up points in the AHL and disappoint in the NHL...yet he broke out. I like Kadri, but I think Morgan Rielly is going to be even better.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:00 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

Anyone?
You are aware he was in on some absurd percent of goals for his team right?

Like when he played for them it was something like he was on in 37.7% of his team offense. Point wise too.

He did very well in the CHL.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:04 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Anyone?

He contributed ~38% of his team's offense in the WHL, which is a higher percentage than Dougie Hamilton had this year in Niagra.

As for the AHL, I wrote a blurb on the previous page. He averages over 3 shots a game from the backend. He's getting decent chances, but he's an 18 year old in his first stint of pro hockey not in a top 4 role, what did you expect?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
That's actually pretty good production for a first year SEL defenseman.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
That's actually pretty good production for a first year SEL defenseman.
I think the point was that you don't need to pull a Justin Schultz to still be considered a good defensive prospect.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:

Anyone?
If you don't think Rielly was elite this year in the WHL, then you need to look a little closer.

Edit: I see that someone has already posted that percentage.

Last edited by 91Kadri91: 04-10-2013 at 11:26 PM.
91Kadri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
I haven't seen him play in the AHL at all this year, saw a couple games in the WHL and saw him at the WJC.

I came away very impressed. He's got a beautiful skating package. He also can see the ice very well. He needs to work on his decision making and coverage in the defensive zone.

He's an elite prospect because all of his faults can be worked on very easily. You can't teach the skill he has. I have no doubts he'll be a 50 point defenseman in the NHL.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote