HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Greg02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Isn't he an UFA if he just signed to a PTO and 20 years old???
I believe this is his third year of draft eligibility.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
I believe this is his third year of draft eligibility.
Goodrow is an UFA... according to the OHL Hockey League.. http://outlawhockeyleague.com/roster...recordID=13657

favourite player is Rick Nash of the New York Rangers
http://www.battalionhockey.com/roster/show/id/1164

The Connecticut Whale have signed undrafted free agent forward Barclay Goodrow to an ATO http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013...o-2502650.html

Old
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Goodrow is an UFA... according to the OHL Hockey League.. http://outlawhockeyleague.com/roster...recordID=13657

favourite player is Rick Nash of the New York Rangers
http://www.battalionhockey.com/roster/show/id/1164

The Connecticut Whale have signed undrafted free agent forward Barclay Goodrow to an ATO http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013...o-2502650.html
That OHL Hockey page seems to be for some sort of sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
All players who will be 18 years old before September 14 and not older than 20 years old before December 31 are eligible for selection for that year's NHL Entry Draft. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.
He's born in February 1993, which puts him at 20 years old for this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN Article
However, the 19-year-old already has been bypassed through two years of draft eligibility. If his name isn't called this June, Goodrow would be forced to market himself as a free agent. It shouldn't come to that, according to Battalion coach Stan Butler.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

wrong thread

Old
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think his mobility has improved leaps and bounds. He markedly better this season at turning his skating orientation from backwards to forwards. His footwork is better. He's not as prone to allowing guys to get around him on the outside now. I never saw straight-line skating as a big issue for him, but rather that he lacked the agility and quick bursts to contain speedier forwards. It's not so much of an issue for him now.

His gap control used to make it look like he was lost. He'd either leave way too much distance between he and his man, or get right up on him, which coupled with the aforementioned lack of lateral skating ability, made him look like a pylon to fleet-footed forwards. The latter was extremely annoying since he has such a long reach. There was no reason to keep such a small gap. I don't see that this year, particularly over the past few weeks. He's more consistent at maintaining proper gaps.

He has also learned to stop following the puck up the wall, or leaving his zone to attempt a big hit. It just seems to me that he has a greater understanding of positional defense in general. Rather than chasing the play, he's in better position to be dictating where the play moves. He doesn't look like he's playing catch-up.

McIlrath is actually beginning to resemble a guy whose play warranted a first round pick, rather than a guy who was drafted for no reason other than his imposing figure.

Fair enough. The Orpik comparison is my projection. The last bit was just me feeling cocky.
I haven't watched much Whale this season, so what we've been hearing from you, Beacon, and others is very encouraging. You nailed the analysis of him, pre-Connecticut. I watched a ton of McIlrath when he was in Moose Jaw, and he did none of these things well. He had no concept of positional defense, and he was a really poor decision maker in multiple types of situation. He looked like he had very little idea about how to play hockey at a high level. This sounds like a very rapid and remarkable turnaround.

The one thing that is still in the back of my mind, however, is that many of the same things were being said about Kreider his last couple of NCAA seasons. Granted, the AHL and NCAA is a big difference. But once Kreider got here, he wasn't nearly as ready as some thought he would be. I think he still needs a decent amount of time in Hartford before he is a regular member of the Rangers, based on what I've seen this season.

Really hope that McIlrath keeps improving, because the Rangers need to trade Girardi to improve the offense, and McIlrath will make doing that easier. Even if he does turn out as good as advertised, it won't change my mind about that pick. This franchise sorely lacks a Tarasenko-like player in the prospect pool, and that type of talent is more valuable, especially for this team.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:49 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I haven't watched much Whale this season, so what we've been hearing from you, Beacon, and others is very encouraging. You nailed the analysis of him, pre-Connecticut. I watched a ton of McIlrath when he was in Moose Jaw, and he did none of these things well. He had no concept of positional defense, and he was a really poor decision maker in multiple types of situation. He looked like he had very little idea about how to play hockey at a high level. This sounds like a very rapid and remarkable turnaround.

The one thing that is still in the back of my mind, however, is that many of the same things were being said about Kreider his last couple of NCAA seasons. Granted, the AHL and NCAA is a big difference. But once Kreider got here, he wasn't nearly as ready as some thought he would be. I think he still needs a decent amount of time in Hartford before he is a regular member of the Rangers, based on what I've seen this season.

Really hope that McIlrath keeps improving, because the Rangers need to trade Girardi to improve the offense, and McIlrath will make doing that easier. Even if he does turn out as good as advertised, it won't change my mind about that pick. This franchise sorely lacks a Tarasenko-like player in the prospect pool, and that type of talent is more valuable, especially for this team.
In terms of what some thought about Kreider a lot of us here know it was completely unrealistic expectation this early in his career. I don't think he has failed and I think quite a few here understood rationally he should and probably would have to get seasoning in the AHL possibly all season just like MDZ, McD, Hags, etc had to. Both guys (kreider and McI)appear to be developing and filling in what used to be enormous holes and flaws in their games and both should be full time NHLers within 2 seasons. Maybe not next but most would be shocked if they aren't both starting the season after.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

I've seen some of him in Moose and some in HFD, and I definitely more or less agree with you (you could of course always debate how much he sucked at something, or just wasn't very good at it for a 10th overall pick).

But, I don't think it's a turnaround as much as it is a change of mindset when going from WHL/Traverse to AHL/Camp. Because as I am sure many remember, the exact same transformation happened when McI went from Traverse (where he just struggled) to NYR camp.

Because when McI just backs down and plays a Jeff Beukeboom or 6th D role, he gets by. He got by in preseason last year against NHLers. It's when he tries to be a different player, not only better but different than say a Noraue/Klassen, he becomes a very big body on the ice who struggles to be where he should be.

I definitely think he is improving his game in HFD. But in terms of becoming that 6th D/Beukeboom type he is close, not in terms of that other player.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:24 AM
Blue Blooded

This surprised me; Fasth has been selected for Tre Kronor's upcoming exhibition games versus Germany. I thought he had made clear to the Swedish Hockey Federation that he has no interest in playing for the Nat. team until his season is finished?

Link in Swedish: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16579617.ab

Tre Kronor's squad versus Germany

Goaltenders:

Linus Ullmark, Modo

Johan Backlund, Kärpät

Gustaf Wessalu, HV 71

Defencemen:

Staffan Kronwall, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

Tom Nilsson, Mora

Henrik Tömmernes, Frölunda

Niclas Andersén, Severstal Tjerepovets

Tobias Viklund, AIK

Elias Fälth, HV 71

Daniel Rahimi, Linköping

Jonas Ahnelöv, Modo

Forwards:

Simon Hjalmarsson, Linköping

Fredrik Pettersson, Donbass Donetsk

Jesper Fasth, HV 71

Calle Järnkrok, Brynäs

Joel Lundqvist, Frölunda

Calle Ridderwall, Düsseldorf

Niklas Persson, CSKA Moskva

Linus Omark, Zug

Dick Axelsson, Frölunda

Pär Arlbrandt, Linköping

Nicklas Danielsson, Lev Prag

Martin Thörnberg, Torpedo Novgorod

Jonas Andersson, Torpedo Novgorod

Robert Rosén, Växjö

Andreas Jämtin, HV 71

Old
04-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2
I think his mobility has improved leaps and bounds. He markedly better this season at turning his skating orientation from backwards to forwards. His footwork is better. He's not as prone to allowing guys to get around him on the outside now. I never saw straight-line skating as a big issue for him, but rather that he lacked the agility and quick bursts to contain speedier forwards. It's not so much of an issue for him now.

His gap control used to make it look like he was lost. He'd either leave way too much distance between he and his man, or get right up on him, which coupled with the aforementioned lack of lateral skating ability, made him look like a pylon to fleet-footed forwards. The latter was extremely annoying since he has such a long reach. There was no reason to keep such a small gap. I don't see that this year, particularly over the past few weeks. He's more consistent at maintaining proper gaps.

He has also learned to stop following the puck up the wall, or leaving his zone to attempt a big hit. It just seems to me that he has a greater understanding of positional defense in general. Rather than chasing the play, he's in better position to be dictating where the play moves. He doesn't look like he's playing catch-up.

McIlrath is actually beginning to resemble a guy whose play warranted a first round pick, rather than a guy who was drafted for no reason other than his imposing figure.

I agree with you on the gap and positioning, but less so on skating. I think he was always a decent north-south skater, but when it comes to short-step skating that McDonagh so excels at, he has trouble with it.

I also feel like he has confidence issues right now. I think this stems from the fact that he's obviously learning and nothing is yet at the level of "muscle memory", it is all flat-out thinking right now. This causes him to be a little slower, which causes some problems, which in turn has caused his confidence to take a hit. Which is funny considering that he's doing well and if anything, he should feel very proud of the progress he's made. I hope he's not reading posts from people who never saw him play who like to talk trash about how bad he is.

But I still think the Rangers should force him into a prolonged skating course over the summer.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Because when McI just backs down and plays a Jeff Beukeboom or 6th D role, he gets by... But in terms of becoming that 6th D/Beukeboom type he is close, not in terms of that other player.
Just to be clear, which Beukeboom are we talking about? Because Jeff was no 6D.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
This surprised me; Fasth has been selected for Tre Kronor's upcoming exhibition games versus Germany. I thought he had made clear to the Swedish Hockey Federation that he has no interest in playing for the Nat. team until his season is finished?

Goaltenders:

Linus Ullmark, Modo

Johan Backlund, Kärpät

Gustaf Wessalu, HV 71

Defencemen:

Tom Nilsson, Mora

Tobias Viklund, AIK

Elias Fälth, HV 71

Daniel Rahimi, Linköping

Jonas Ahnelöv, Modo

Forwards:

Jesper Fasth, HV 71

Calle Järnkrok, Brynäs

Joel Lundqvist, Frölunda

Linus Omark, Zug

Dick Axelsson, Frölunda

Pär Arlbrandt, Linköping

Robert Rosén, Växjö

Andreas Jämtin, HV 71

Jamtin LOL

Old
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

By the way, I don't know why I responded to 2k2's post about McIlrath. I thought it was a recent post, didn't realize it was about 2 months old, LoL.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Yeah, not sure i get that...Beueke was a legit top pairing defenseman....he complimented leetch big time.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
In terms of what some thought about Kreider a lot of us here know it was completely unrealistic expectation this early in his career. I don't think he has failed and I think quite a few here understood rationally he should and probably would have to get seasoning in the AHL possibly all season just like MDZ, McD, Hags, etc had to. Both guys (kreider and McI)appear to be developing and filling in what used to be enormous holes and flaws in their games and both should be full time NHLers within 2 seasons. Maybe not next but most would be shocked if they aren't both starting the season after.
It didn't help he looked so good in the playoffs last year for the most part. It just fed the idea that he was going to waltz his way in to the NHL and start tearing it up.

rip
Old
04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
It didn't help he looked so good in the playoffs last year for the most part. It just fed the idea that he was going to waltz his way in to the NHL and start tearing it up.
The public perception really set him up to fail. If he wasn't with us in the playoffs last year we'd probably just be talking about how he's having some normal rookie problems. The bar was set way too high

Old
04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
It says "or".

Jeff Beukeboom was a de facto nr 2 D in his prime, but who definitely excelled on the defensive side of the game and kept it very simple.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:56 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:

Goaltenders:

Linus Ullmark, Modo

Johan Backlund, Kärpät

Gustaf Wessalu, HV 71

Defencemen:

Tom Nilsson, Mora

Tobias Viklund, AIK

Elias Fälth, HV 71

Daniel Rahimi, Linköping

Jonas Ahnelöv, Modo

Forwards:

Jesper Fasth, HV 71

Calle Järnkrok, Brynäs

Joel Lundqvist, Frölunda

Linus Omark, Zug

Dick Axelsson, Frölunda

Pär Arlbrandt, Linköping

Robert Rosén, Växjö

Andreas Jämtin, HV 71
Here we go again... Let the circus begin. Will we ever get a straight answer?

Old
04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Big weekend!!

Old
04-12-2013, 01:35 PM
AJRanger

Quote:

Goaltenders:

Linus Ullmark, Modo

Johan Backlund, Kärpät

Gustaf Wessalu, HV 71

Defencemen:

Tom Nilsson, Mora

Tobias Viklund, AIK

Elias Fälth, HV 71

Daniel Rahimi, Linköping

Jonas Ahnelöv, Modo

Forwards:

Jesper Fasth, HV 71

Calle Järnkrok, Brynäs

Joel Lundqvist, Frölunda

Linus Omark, Zug

Dick Axelsson, Frölunda

Pär Arlbrandt, Linköping

Robert Rosén, Växjö

Andreas Jämtin, HV 71
No, he never said he wouldn't be playing for the national team. Like Järnkrok, he was 'loaned' to his NHL club for a few weeks under the condition that he be back by April 15 if selected for Sweden duty - he flies home this weekend.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:32 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Jamtin LOL

he is a good sel player. brings some grit to the squad.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
he is a good sel player. brings some grit to the squad.
One might say that he brings...Jam? ;-)

Old
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Why? He did something last year?

Old
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Green Blob*

MUST WIN tonight!

Old
04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Green Blob*

Bob Crawford:

Quote:

Sounding like he's out for rest of regular season. RT @MichaelL1234: @HawkCrawford Bob when can we expect Fast back in the lineup?
Expand
Uncool.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chris Kreider on the PP from Ferriero and Newbury

Closed Thread