HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal's #17 Prospect by the fans

View Poll Results: Who is Montreal's #17 Prospect
Corey Locke 30 25.64%
Ryan White 32 27.35%
Oskari Korpikari 6 5.13%
Chris Heino-Lindberg 2 1.71%
Pavel Valentenko 4 3.42%
Cameron Cepek 2 1.71%
Jon Gleed 2 1.71%
J.T. Wyman 2 1.71%
Jonathan Ferland 31 26.50%
Andre Benoit 3 2.56%
Duncan Milroy 0 0%
Andrew Archer 1 0.85%
Francois Lemieux 1 0.85%
Philippe Paquet 1 0.85%
Michael Lambert 0 0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Montreal's #17 Prospect by the fans

Juraj Mikus wins poll #16

Its a long way from the start of the season, so lets to a poll of the top 20 Montreal prospects. Each poll will be open for 2 days, but i may start the next one sooner if there is a clear cut winner of one poll. 40/80 rule (40 vote lead, at least 80 total votes cast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal
Pleks and Perezhogin should not be considered prospects by HF standards since they both played over 65 games in the NHL. Don't know why they are still listed on the Habs page but they should be considered graduated. Murray has 56 games under his belt, so by HF he's still a prospect, but I personally don't consider him one.

Danis at 25 and Cote at 24 are becoming too old to be considered prospects.
Next add will be Stewart, Sanford, Lacasse, Urquhart,

If you want someone added sooner than they are scheduled to be added, just leave a comment to that affect. I will try to make move them up as far as I can, if more than one name is to be added to the next poll i will break the tie by

1) majority of requests.
2) first request if tied.

In case of a Tie as happened in poll #6 I will count Rookie votes manually so post those here as a tie breaker. They will only be counted on a tie, i will not manually count if the vote is won by a close margin.

1.) Andrei Kostitsyn
2.) Carey Price
3.) Guillaume Latendresse
4.) Kyle Chipchura
5.) Mikhail Grabovsky
6.) Alexi Emelin
7.) David Fischer
8.) Ryan O'Byrne
9.) Sergei Kostitsyn
10.) Maxim Lapierre
11.) Jaroslav Halak
12.) Matt D'Agostini
13.) Ben Maxwell
14.) Mathieu Carle
15.) Mathieu Aubin
16.) Juraj Mikus

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Beakermania*

Locke again for me.

Leading AHL scorer should count for something.

Old
08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I'm going with Jonathan Ferland. Has a good shot at being our last roster forward this year I think. Could be a good fourth liner this year, and develop into even more.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Darz

Ryan White

Good vibe about this kid.

08-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Dr. Charles

You know you're bored when you vote for the 17th prospect...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
You know you're bored when you vote for the 17th prospect...
Gotta get to 20

Old
08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I've been voting for Korpikari for a while now, but I find it funny how Ferland is still on the list, and he's the only one of these people who will actually get some NHL playing time any time soon.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Prospector

It has to be Ferland.

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Talent Analyst

Pavel Valentenko

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Russeltown

Voted for Ferland

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:50 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I've voted for Ferland since he's almost NHL ready if not already

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:51 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Ryan White

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Jakomyte

Ryan White

I think he'll play a more important role than Ferland at the NHL level (or play the same role a bit better).

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Locke.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Slick Nick

Locke... it's about time

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

This is around where I would put Locke as I'm working on new rankings for the upcoming season. It's hard to put a guy like Ferland below him when he could be with the Habs this year, just like I beleive that White will be a Hab at some point, even if it's 5+ years down the road. I perfer the style of play from Ferland/White cause they give such a great effort to win games but it's also hard to discount the amount of skill Locke has. Imo he's the most gifted playmaker in our farm system and he's one of our most skilled offensive prospects. I know that his lack of size, speed, skating, and at times effort is a major concern. Frankly I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put Locke, Ferland, Lemieux, White, Heino and Korpikari, since I think I have the top 16 completed but the final spots are usually the hardest to complete.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
This is around where I would put Locke as I'm working on new rankings for the upcoming season. It's hard to put a guy like Ferland below him when he could be with the Habs this year, just like I beleive that White will be a Hab at some point, even if it's 5+ years down the road. I perfer the style of play from Ferland/White cause they give such a great effort to win games but it's also hard to discount the amount of skill Locke has. Imo he's the most gifted playmaker in our farm system and he's one of our most skilled offensive prospects. I know that his lack of size, speed, skating, and at times effort is a major concern. Frankly I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put Locke, Ferland, Lemieux, White, Heino and Korpikari, since I think I have the top 16 completed but the final spots are usually the hardest to complete.
looks like HFBoard agree with you... at the moment White, Ferland and Locke are tied up!! Could be any of those.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Once again, I voted for Ferland. I really liked what I saw of him with the Dogs last year and hope he gets a look in with the Habs this year.

Quick question about White. Should he make the NHL in the future, what type of offensive impact might he be able to have? From the reports at training camp, I get the impression that he seemed uncomfortable in regards to providing any offense. I don't know if that was purely a reflection of the work done in camp or if its an aspect of his game that is about as good as its going to get (as he might likely focus on other elements of the game). I'm curious becuase both him and Ferland remain in this poll. Both guys seem to be cast as 4th liners (or am I wrong about White in this case?), bang and crash type guys. Only Ferland has reasonable offensive elements to his game. To draw a comparison to current players with the Habs, from what I've heard it sounds like White would produce about as much as a guy like Downey while Ferland may be able to put up some numbers in the same region Begin has managed the past few years. Is there much more to Whites game? I know he is well liked by his coaches and is much more valuable in game situations than solely his offensive abilities suggest, but if he is projected as a 4th, maybe 3rd line guy, I'm suprised to see him placed ahead of Ferland by so many people considering their similar game styles, Ferlands better offensive ability (as far as im aware) and the fact Ferland is NHL ready, White isn't.

What am I missing? Am I way off-base regarding Whites potential development? Is he closer to a third line guy than filling a role on the 4th? Is he likely to be a more well rounded player one he is in contention for an NHL spot? I'm curious.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
What am I missing? Am I way off-base regarding Whites potential development? Is he closer to a third line guy than filling a role on the 4th? Is he likely to be a more well rounded player one he is in contention for an NHL spot? I'm curious.
From what I've read (I haven't seen White play, so I have to go on a few things I've read about him) White is the type of player that a coach can play in any type of situation. I've read that his offensive upside might not be great, but that if he was to improve his off ice work habits (physical conditioning and such) that he could improve in all areas of his game. He already is supposable a pretty good skater, has a decent shot, plays well in both ends of the ice and is good in the corners, so I get the sense that if he can discipline himself as far as conditioing goes he could be a real find.

If I remember correctly the Hockey News had him 18th overall in their draft issue as well.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Dr_Hook

I'd be hesitating between White, Valentenko and Ferland here... But please, voters, don't let Locke win this one !!! This kid will never see the NHL; he's got Europe written all over him

My (non)vote : I'll say Valentenko, just from what I heard from Timmins.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 04:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
From what I've read (I haven't seen White play, so I have to go on a few things I've read about him) White is the type of player that a coach can play in any type of situation. I've read that his offensive upside might not be great, but that if he was to improve his off ice work habits (physical conditioning and such) that he could improve in all areas of his game. He already is supposable a pretty good skater, has a decent shot, plays well in both ends of the ice and is good in the corners, so I get the sense that if he can discipline himself as far as conditioing goes he could be a real find.

If I remember correctly the Hockey News had him 18th overall in their draft issue as well.

I don't know about his offensive upside, he does seem to have a nice shot but it's his skating, foot speed and mobility that I am more concerned about. Granted I haven't seen that much of him and will focus more on him and the other new guys this year, so I will get a better feel for him over time. That said what I have seen from him that impressed me is the way he plays. Seems to be the kind of guy that does whatever it takes to win, blocks shots, takes the body, decent offensive skills. I've heard about some problems with his conditioning, but since I haven't really followed him and usually don't follow the WHL all that much outside of our prospects playing there, I can't say what the story is behind that.

I saw him at the U-17's and was impressed, look forward to seeing him and the other WHLers this year.

Quote:
But please, voters, don't let Locke win this one !!! This kid will never see the NHL; he's got Europe written all over him
Maybe, or maybe not. I don't think he plays for the Habs unless Ribeiro is gone. To me he plays the same style and we can't have 2 of them being our 4 centers and I personally don't think Locke would be as effective on the wing. I don't know if another NHL team would give him a shot if he gets faster and much stronger. He's got a couple years to improve imo. The skill is there but it remains to be seen if the rest will catch up.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Toro

Gleed

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
MacHabs93

Somewhere, Jonathan Ferland cries in a corner.

Christ, even Locke has more votes then him right now.

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
x-bob

Ferland for me

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93 View Post
Somewhere, Jonathan Ferland cries in a corner.
I prefer to think of it more as if somewhere, Jonathan Ferland knocks some poor sap off his feet as he continues to drive towards the net. But I know what you're saying. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that by the end of the next season, when people talk about the fantastic work Begin does for the Habs from the 4th line, they quickly follow it up with similar praise for Ferland. I think he is ready for a bigger role with the Habs. When we need someone more threatening, we have Downey. But if we want a hard working, physical player with reasonable all-round ability, I can see Ferland being used on many occassions. And as I mentioned in my previous post, I can see him putting up offensive numbers closer to Begins than your typical, 3-5 point a year 4th line tough guy. When the Habs PP was faultering, people used to want Begin to be put out there, becuase he would go right to the front of the net. Ferland will do the exact same thing (its where he scored his goal from last season) and not only that, he can take the puck to the net too. And he forechecks, backchecks, does everything else you'd want from a 4th line guy. Personally, I think he deserves a bit more recognition than he has received so far.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote