HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Playoff Line Combos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
  #76
Pure West
Registered User
 
Pure West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Kassian should absolutely not be part of Kesler's line in the playoffs. I think its pretty clear that Kesler should and will be the matchup centre for us, and I don't think Kassian has the conditioning, discipline or defensive prowess to play those VERY important minutes in the playoffs. I like him with Roy, or possibly the 4th line.

I like Kassian's ability to produce offense, and absolutely love his potential if he can get it together consistently but I still have a feeling he is gonna take a dumb penalty at an important time.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:10 PM
  #77
bpoulsen
Registered User
 
bpoulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glostrup
Country: Denmark
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
It would be a shame to split up the Sedins and Burrows but man would a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line give the other teams fits!

bpoulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
  #78
Bam19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Hansen-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Higgins
Pinned/Sesito-Lapierre-Weise

Bam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
  #79
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown line that can provide offense)
Higgins Roy Kassian (offensive line)
X Lapierre Weise

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
  #80
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,063
vCash: 500
Probably never happen but,

Sedins-Kassian
Burrows-Roy-Kesler
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Tostitos-Lapierre-Weise

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
  #81
cc
Registered User
 
cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Kassian should probably not be in the lineup during the playoffs, let alone be anywhere near a top-6 spot. Based on what I've seen this season, there's a lot of wishful thinking going on here based on what people think he can become, and not what he currently is.

He's not consistent enough to warrant giving any kind of important minutes to, and he just hasn't been able to find that balance between being offensive-minded and being physical, because realistically, he has to be both for him to be effective for us. He's not good enough in either specific area to do just one thing.
People were saying similar things about seguin in his first year.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
  #82
Mdmopa1
Registered User
 
Mdmopa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
With the injuries now..

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

Put Kassian on the 4th line when Higgins comes back.

Edler-Bieksa
Hamhuis-Garrison
Alberts-Ballard

Take Ballard out for Tanev, because I think Alberts size will be more useful for the playoffs than Ballard's questionable play of recent. Plus Alberts has been playing much smarter and poised lately IMO.

I would love to see a power play of...

Roy-Sedin-Kesler
Sedin-Edler

Just completely stack the first unit. Roy's puck handling skills and play making ability would mesh so well with the Sedin's IMO. Park Kesler in front, and have Edler taking bombs from the point.

I think this might be the solution to our PP troubles; although the PP of the past few games has maybe looked the best it has all season. One can dream though..


Last edited by Mdmopa1: 04-10-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Mdmopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
  #83
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far. And I'm missing the epic speed of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, I'd really like to see that come back. It's kind of unorthodox but I like the idea of:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Pinizotto, Sestito, Ebbett...Booth?

Now obviously that is not a traditional lineup and I have to think that the bottom three lines would not see the same style of ice-time distribution as you'd usually see where the fourth line plays like ten minutes and all that...it's much more balanced. For a team trying to counter that, there is really no place to hide and the offensive threat - and the physical ability - is spread out real well. Every line is dangerous, every line has some grit, every line is fast, real tough to match up against.

And if y'all be laughing at me for having Roy on the fourth line...well...guess what just happened? Although, with Lapierre and Ebbett, but still the point stands.


Last edited by Smokey McCanucks: 04-10-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:24 PM
  #84
GranvilleIsland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
For Playoffs

Sedins - Burrows/Kassian
Booth(assuming he is healthy) - Kesler - Kassian/Burrows/Raymond
Higgins - Roy - Hansen/Raymond
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen/Kassian

Garrison - Hamhuis
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

GranvilleIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:35 AM
  #85
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks;63730645[B
]Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far[/B].
They actually had quite a bit of chemistry. Even the announcers were commenting on the chemistry between Kesler and Kassian.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:11 AM
  #86
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Kassian should absolutely not be part of Kesler's line in the playoffs. I think its pretty clear that Kesler should and will be the matchup centre for us, and I don't think Kassian has the conditioning, discipline or defensive prowess to play those VERY important minutes in the playoffs. I like him with Roy, or possibly the 4th line.

I like Kassian's ability to produce offense, and absolutely love his potential if he can get it together consistently but I still have a feeling he is gonna take a dumb penalty at an important time.
Agreed.

Kesler has to be the matchup center come playoffs. And assuming that's the case, i just don't trust Kassian out there with him. Who knows what sort of critical moment Kassian might lose his man defensively or toss up a gift breakout for the other team in the offensive zone.

I'd also like to see him with Roy, where you can hopefully show off the flashes of vision and passing ability Kassian has. You know...the reason we aquired him? As a big body who can play with skill...not as another Dale Weise?

I've also seen some flashes of the old Raymond+Kesler chemistry that we saw when those two were having a career year together. I mean, that drop pass tonight in the Calgary game...is there any single area on the ice where Kesler is more excited to have the puck than that? Streaking into the zone with the puck on a tee just inside the blueline and nobody between him and the net? That's his jam.

And there have been plenty of other little plays that show me what i saw when they were deemed to have 'great chemistry' a couple years ago. Their speed also poses a serious problem for defenders.

Add Hansen to that mix, and you've got everything that 'speed line' with Schroeder offered...with a legitimate Selke calibre shutdown center in between. Kesler is also fast, not sure if people forgot this. It's also a line that i'd trust defensively out against any line in the entire league. The speed, puck pursuit and defensively intelligence of that line is superb. And it will score goes as well...especially off transition, where all 3 players are at their best.

Leaves Higgins-Roy-Kassian as the other line. A line that can be a total menace on the cycle game, where they're all at their best...and it keeps a guy like Kassian with a skilled passer like Roy who can make the most of Kassian's puck protection abilities along the boards down low in the offensive zone.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:22 AM
  #87
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Kassian should absolutely not be part of Kesler's line in the playoffs. I think its pretty clear that Kesler should and will be the matchup centre for us, and I don't think Kassian has the conditioning, discipline or defensive prowess to play those VERY important minutes in the playoffs. I like him with Roy, or possibly the 4th line.

I like Kassian's ability to produce offense, and absolutely love his potential if he can get it together consistently but I still have a feeling he is gonna take a dumb penalty at an important time.
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Wiese
Schroeder

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

I agree. So put Kassian with the Sedins. Let him absorb the other team's top D with the Sedins. Get Burrows on that shut-down line with Kesler and Raymond.

And take our third line in your pools coz they're going to see the easiest minutes and be just as capable as any of the other lines.

Reserve the fourth line to very limited minutes, until up by at least a couple.

Profit.

Christina Woloski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:24 AM
  #88
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Well I can't say I like Kesler with Raymond and Kassian, not much chemistry there so far. And I'm missing the epic speed of Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen, I'd really like to see that come back. It's kind of unorthodox but I like the idea of:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Kesler-Lapierre
Higgins-Roy-Kassian

Pinizotto, Sestito, Ebbett...Booth?

Now obviously that is not a traditional lineup and I have to think that the bottom three lines would not see the same style of ice-time distribution as you'd usually see where the fourth line plays like ten minutes and all that...it's much more balanced. For a team trying to counter that, there is really no place to hide and the offensive threat - and the physical ability - is spread out real well. Every line is dangerous, every line has some grit, every line is fast, real tough to match up against.

And if y'all be laughing at me for having Roy on the fourth line...well...guess what just happened? Although, with Lapierre and Ebbett, but still the point stands.
You DO realize Roy is basically an amped up version of Schroeder is pretty much every way, right ? Size, skill set, speed, etc.

For what you're looking for, you just have to put Raymond with Roy and Hansen.

Christina Woloski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:25 AM
  #89
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Wiese
Schroeder

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

I agree. So put Kassian with the Sedins. Let him absorb the other team's top D with the Sedins. Get Burrows on that shut-down line with Kesler and Raymond.

And take our third line in your pools coz they're going to see the easiest minutes and be just as capable as any of the other lines.

Reserve the fourth line to very limited minutes, until up by at least a couple.

Profit.
The flaw in this whole concept, is that teams tend to live and die by what their top line does. And in our case...that's obviously the Sedins. Why neuter them and diminish their effectiveness by sticking them with Kassian, just to get a slightly better 'shutdown' line? Especially when the dropoff defensively from Burrows to Hansen is pretty negligible?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
  #90
Wizeman*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
I fear many may be underestimating how good Kassian already is. I find it almost impossible to believe that AV is going to move Burrows away from the Twins.

I think the real issue is who can play better defensively, and who can help Roy create more. If we wish to have a shut down line that can neutralize the other top line, while still having Burrows with the twins, and you have to have SOME defensive strength on the Roy line, thus Hansen. So it then it comes down to Raymond and Higgins.

Its my opinion Higgins is stronger and better defensively than Raymond. Ergo......

Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Kesler Kassian
Raymond Roy Hansen
Weise Lappy Sestito
Schroeder

I think we need to give Jordan the playoff experience . I dont think giving it to Ebbet accomplishes anything.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM
  #91
Johnny Canucker
Registered User
 
Johnny Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Agreed.

Kesler has to be the matchup center come playoffs. And assuming that's the case, i just don't trust Kassian out there with him. Who knows what sort of critical moment Kassian might lose his man defensively or toss up a gift breakout for the other team in the offensive zone.

I'd also like to see him with Roy, where you can hopefully show off the flashes of vision and passing ability Kassian has. You know...the reason we aquired him? As a big body who can play with skill...not as another Dale Weise?

I've also seen some flashes of the old Raymond+Kesler chemistry that we saw when those two were having a career year together. I mean, that drop pass tonight in the Calgary game...is there any single area on the ice where Kesler is more excited to have the puck than that? Streaking into the zone with the puck on a tee just inside the blueline and nobody between him and the net? That's his jam.

And there have been plenty of other little plays that show me what i saw when they were deemed to have 'great chemistry' a couple years ago. Their speed also poses a serious problem for defenders.

Add Hansen to that mix, and you've got everything that 'speed line' with Schroeder offered...with a legitimate Selke calibre shutdown center in between. Kesler is also fast, not sure if people forgot this. It's also a line that i'd trust defensively out against any line in the entire league. The speed, puck pursuit and defensively intelligence of that line is superb. And it will score goes as well...especially off transition, where all 3 players are at their best.

Leaves Higgins-Roy-Kassian as the other line. A line that can be a total menace on the cycle game, where they're all at their best...and it keeps a guy like Kassian with a skilled passer like Roy who can make the most of Kassian's puck protection abilities along the boards down low in the offensive zone.

Mike Richards OWNED Kesler last year

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
  #92
Frankiedarling
Registered User
 
Frankiedarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, Washington
Country: Canada
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
Kesler was hurt.

Frankiedarling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
  #93
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Mike Richards OWNED Kesler last year
Injuries play too much of a role in the new capped NHL, especially during the play-offs. The best team no longer wins the Cup. The team with the best luck (when it comes to injuries) wins the Cup now. Considering this, it's measurable fact that some players tend to be injured more than others. Kesler is one of those players. Injuries aside, all NHL teams would choose Kesler over M. Richards. However, a team (wanting to win a Cup) cannot exclude injuries, so flippantly.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
  #94
Aqualung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Hansen (shutdown line that can provide offense)
Higgins Roy Kassian (offensive line)
X Lapierre Weise
Hansen and Roy don't seem to have much chemistry. Hansen is more north-south, like Kesler, and could probably help Kesler pushing the pace up and down the ice with Raymond. Higgins, Roy, and Kassian seem more like puck possession players, so maybe this will work better.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
  #95
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Higgins
Ebbett/Sesito-Lapierre-Weise

If Booth is healthy
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
whoever-Lapierre-Kassian

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:06 AM
  #96
CP
Registered User
 
CP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 506
vCash: 699
Sedin, Sedin, Burrows
Higgins, Kesler, Hansen
Raymond, Roy, Kassian
Ballard, Lapierre, Weise

Garrison, Hamhuis
Bieksa, Edler
Tanev, Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:12 AM
  #97
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,940
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Probably never happen but,

Sedins-Kassian
Burrows-Roy-Kesler
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Tostitos-Lapierre-Weise
This is mine to a T, with maybe Pinizzotto over Sestito depending on what kind of team we're playing. (Wings/Hawks vs Blues/Kings)

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:09 AM
  #98
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
I agree with NFITO's suggestion.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Roy - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler - Garrison (second try)
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:10 AM
  #99
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Mike Richards OWNED Kesler last year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiedarling View Post
Kesler was hurt.
There's the injury thing...

But also, most players on the Kings owned somebody on the Canucks last year. And the fact that Kesler vs. Richards was often the matchup, is...not the sort of 'shutdown' role i'd want to see Kesler playing, the sort where he really thrives. A healthy Kesler, is 100% the guy i want head to head with Kopitar, as often as is reasonably possible.


I'm going by what these guys are capable of...and we've seen that Kesler can be an elite 'matchup guy', who can break even or come out on top of matchups against guys like Toews, Thornton, etc.

And in terms of linemates, that ability is still maximized with Raymond+Hansen on Kesler's wings. Roy line playing 'softer' minutes, Sedins automatically draw the 'defensive go-tos' of whatever team. Obviously it's shaken up a bit, if we come up against another less conventional team like say Detroit.

But as a whole, i still stand by:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (works better than anything else)
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen (so much speed, and a line you can depend on defensively)
Higgins-Roy-Kassian (chemistry and big bodies to shield Roy a bit)
Pinizzotto-Lappy-Weise (crash, bang, harass, antagonize)

Hamhuis-Bieksa (proven chemistry)
Edler-Garrison (someone responsible to babysit Edler)
Ballard-Tanev (proven chemistry and as reliable a bottom-pairing as you're gonna get)

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:21 AM
  #100
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
It would be a shame to split up the Sedins and Burrows but man would a Burrows - Kesler - Hansen line give the other teams fits!
I remember when that line actually was our designated shutdown line before that fateful decision by AV to put Burrows and Kesler in scoring roles in the top 6.

Not an AV fan but that was definitely one of the best and most pivotal coaching moves in Canucks history. This team wouldn't be what it is if Kesler and Burrows didn't develop into top 6 forwards.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.