HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 11:21 PM
gunners14henry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
'Always on' for TV entertainment services but no mention yet if it will extend to gaming.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/42...tainment-plans
Seems like an interesting idea, but I'm still leaning towards getting the ps4. I care more about gaming and my decision will depend heavily on the exclusives for the consoles

Old
04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
Seems like an interesting idea, but I'm still leaning towards getting the ps4. I care more about gaming and my decision will depend heavily on the exclusives for the consoles
I barely play games on my Xbox anymore so this seems intriguing.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:04 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

From what I gather from analyst rumours some thing that Microsoft's 720 plan is to link buying the Xbox to digital TV subscription to a internet/tv provider to make the 720 discounted, at least in the USA.

Some think it might be as low as $99 with a TV contract.

Not so hot for gaming but they would sell huge amounts on that model.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:05 AM
str8shooter
Rookie User

As someone who's had every previous iteration of the PS3, I have no interest in a "next-gen" gaming console. I barely play games on the PS3 anymore, blame lack of time and interest but so many major titles had very severe flaws or tremendously deficient/frustrating gameplay that definitely indicated publishers/developers had not yet worked out all the kinks on this generation... Solution to that is obviously to move to a new system, with what will certainly be five times as many issues in that same department.

Morever, NO backward compatibility on either system? Talk about a gigantic slap in the face. I think Tom Sizemore showed Heidi Fleiss more respect on Celebrity Rehab than Sony and MS are offering their loyal customers. My message to both companies is to piss off. They're offering a more "connected" system with better graphics, woo effing hoo. Count me out.

If you want "connected", use a smart phone. If you want super hardware, building a gaming desktop. This seems like a half-assed solution where they're attempting to offer something to enjoy for everyone where in reality, there will be virtually nothing new enjoyed by anyone. No new drive, no substantial improvement on tried-and-true aspects of the gaming experience. Expand to gain more revenue instead of fixing what does not work, traditional corporate America thinking.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Might make the switch to Sony if the Xbox 720 won't offer backwards compatibility (which it looks like it won't).
it's not going to pretty much, neither of the next gen consoles are offering that.

04-11-2013, 02:18 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
As someone who's had every previous iteration of the PS3, I have no interest in a "next-gen" gaming console. I barely play games on the PS3 anymore, blame lack of time and interest but so many major titles had very severe flaws or tremendously deficient/frustrating gameplay that definitely indicated publishers/developers had not yet worked out all the kinks on this generation... Solution to that is obviously to move to a new system, with what will certainly be five times as many issues in that same department.

Morever, NO backward compatibility on either system? Talk about a gigantic slap in the face. I think Tom Sizemore showed Heidi Fleiss more respect on Celebrity Rehab than Sony and MS are offering their loyal customers. My message to both companies is to piss off. They're offering a more "connected" system with better graphics, woo effing hoo. Count me out.

If you want "connected", use a smart phone. If you want super hardware, building a gaming desktop. This seems like a half-assed solution where they're attempting to offer something to enjoy for everyone where in reality, there will be virtually nothing new enjoyed by anyone. No new drive, no substantial improvement on tried-and-true aspects of the gaming experience. Expand to gain more revenue instead of fixing what does not work, traditional corporate America thinking.
Actually the PS4 should have less issues for developers than the PS3 because there's no more 'Cell' architecture for the PS4 which makes it easier on developers as the PS4 has X86-64 processing architecture which is the most common PC architecture.

Also the PS4 blu-ray drive (6x read) is significantly faster than any PS3 drive (2x read) ...

I don't know what you mean by "fix what does not work"... without specifics I don't know what to say... the PS3 can't compete with software and is an old system now...

EDIT:

I also do like that Sony is really leading the system open for Indie developers. I don't think we'll be seeing that from Microsoft.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
I'm not going to be an early adopter. I decided I wasn't going to be a fanboi of either system, and will decide after the dust has settled. No backward compatibility on either system makes that decision easy.

The PC has returned as the gaming platform of choice for many. Most titles I've bought recently are for the PC. That will make holding off on the console decision easier. I will let early adopters work out the bugs, fight, complain and months later, after reading the reviews, weighing the pros and cons, I'll make a decision. I'm not going to swing like a pendulum, argue for months, worry about it.

Early software exclusives won't sway me, a month later someone else can come out with the latest and greatest must-have title. Most developers IMO will develop for several platforms, the new hardware makes coding for the PC, Sony and XBox easier, leaving one out just limits your market. MS and Sony's own studios might want to limit their market for ulterior motives, but others won't have that incentive (unless paid to do so but that should happen less and less IMO).

One other factor in the decision making process for many might be the differences in TV Entertainment Services offered by each. Something outside the gaming dimension. Another might be how well it integrates with other devices (tablets, phones, PC) in the home. Or the hardware add-ons that come with each. We'll see.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Morever, NO backward compatibility on either system? Talk about a gigantic slap in the face. I think Tom Sizemore showed Heidi Fleiss more respect on Celebrity Rehab than Sony and MS are offering their loyal customers. My message to both companies is to piss off. They're offering a more "connected" system with better graphics, woo effing hoo. Count me out
I'll never understand people who care so much about backwards compatibility, especially with being able to just download so many games these days. Not to mention the consoles would cost way more. And just because the PS4 comes out, doesn't mean you have to throw your PS3 in the garbage

Old
04-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
for some reason I am not really hyped for either platform. Maybe it is all the negative rumours about each one. I currently own a 360 and would like to stick with it due to the fact I like the controller more then the PS. I guess I will wait until they are on the market to make a decision on if it is worth it to buy a new one.........that being said once a new red dead redemption comes out I will be forced to buy one or the other lol.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

so there are rumours about sony having another press conference in may. no idea if this is true but it's possible it's for showing the box?
-----
Quote:
“We [at Sony] were like yeah[,] we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure of very photorealistic, you know[,] big-budget blockbuster games. And you know[,] people like these games but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with.”
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/1...ames-being-fps

Seriously...Shuhei is saying all the right things for a gamer but the question is will he carry it out.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I'll never understand people who care so much about backwards compatibility, especially with being able to just download so many games these days. Not to mention the consoles would cost way more. And just because the PS4 comes out, doesn't mean you have to throw your PS3 in the garbage
I don't know how much bc would cost for the PS4 but it wasn't expensive at all for the PS3. A Sony exec admitted that himself. There will probably be PS3 emulators for PC in the future but still, it should be a no-brainer in this day and age and I don't want to take out my PS1/2/3 every time I want to play a game from that gen.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I don't know how much bc would cost for the PS4 but it wasn't expensive at all for the PS3. A Sony exec admitted that himself. There will probably be PS3 emulators for PC in the future but still, it should be a no-brainer in this day and age and I don't want to take out my PS1/2/3 every time I want to play a game from that gen.
*Unplugs a cord*

*Plugs in a cord*

Old
04-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7431
Quote:
*Unplugs a cord*

*Plugs in a cord*
Go to a closet pull out the other system, disconnect something from the tv, connect other system, unconnect system when done, plug the other thing back in, and then put the old system back in storage.

Also you have people who are switching systems, or getting a system for the first time. You just got Mass Effect 4, but because theres no backwards compatibility you cant play 1 2 or 3. Or a person had a 360, got a ps4 tried out the new God of War and loved it, no playing through the 2 of them that were out on the ps3.

Last edited by Playerwinner: 04-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
Go to a closet pull out the other system, disconnect something from the tv, connect other system, unconnect system when done, plug the other thing back in, and then put the old system back in storage.
Exactly. It would be as simple as this. Amazing how lazy some people have gotten

Old
04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
PS1 games will almost undoubtedly work on the Ps4. It has CD support, just not audio CD.

They are doing backwards compatibility for the PS4, but only through streaming because of the architecture of the PS3. Even modern computers have issues pulling off some of the things cell does, not because it's better, but because it's structually different. Emulators that actually work really good might not be possible until you can just outmuscle the cell with pure horsepower.

The switch in architecture is a necessary one for game development though, and while it sucks for us, at least Gaikai will be an option. Hopefully Sony decides to announce that you can play your old PS3 PSN games over Gaikai when they work out the kinks in the system, it would generate lots of good will.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:

Also you have people who are switching systems, or getting a system for the first time. You just got Mass Effect 4, but because theres no backwards compatibility you cant play 1 2 or 3. Or a person had a 360, got a ps4 tried out the new God of War and loved it, no playing through the 2 of them that were out on the ps3.
Don't worry, all those games will be available on PSN and the Live marketplace discounted to $29.98

Quote:
Exactly. It would be as simple as this. Amazing how lazy some people have gotten
Ok. Maybe people don't want to keep 2 obsolete systems taking up valuable space just to randomly play one or two games

Old
04-11-2013, 08:06 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Don't worry, all those games will be available on PSN and the Live marketplace discounted to $29.98

Ok. Maybe people don't want to keep 2 obsolete systems taking up valuable space just to randomly play one or two games
You're exactly right. It's a major inconvenience to pull out, disconnect, connect other system etc, and they'll use it as a sales ploy too. Greed & stupidity, all in one.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:

If you're getting a system for the first time then PS4 addresses those needs perfectly. If you play Mass Effect 4, you can download 1 2 and 3 and play them on your PS4. If you like God Of War 3, you can download 1 and 2 and play them on your PS4. There is no disk backwards comparability but they directly said they want to eventually include every past game on their online purchase service. (If I recall correctly, I'm quite sure that's how it's going to work) The only people who are affected by this are people who own a PS3 already, but hey, I guess it' a good thing they have that PS3 to play it with.

It's not like a console takes up a ton of space. Hell, if the new consoles are shaped right, you may be able to flat out stack your old console right on your new one, and barely any space taken at all.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
We're talking about video game consoles, are we not? What the hell kind of space are you talking about?

Old
04-12-2013, 02:21 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Also, super stoked that Witcher 3 has been announced for the PS4

I've never played either 1 or 2, but I hear they're awesome.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

More Durango rumours and Xbox line-up rumoured info:
http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

So these are unsubstantiated but it sounds like Microsoft will actually launch 2 Xbox's:

1. The Durango (720 or whatever) that will directly compete with the PS4 and be priced the same...

2. An 'Xbox Mini' that will essentially be competing with Apple TV (to stream tv) BUT apparently it will also play Xbox live games and allow backwards compatibility to the Durango... and will be price lower than $149.99 as another piece of hardware.

Interesting when compared to the PS4.

Essentially, for functionality, it will cost more but provide more features and better backwards compatibility...

However I'm not sure I like the idea of two separate devices...

The rumours about the "always online" apparently relates to the Xbox mini only which doesn't have a disc drive and functions like Apple TV... but apparently the 720 wont be always online required.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Dado

vCash:
The "XBox Mini" would be a very smart move IF (and only IF) they release a proper, free SDK for it, and don't require developers to go through all the ******** hoops they currently have to go through. Release the dev tools, open a GameStore, and let the marketplace find and fill the needs. And it would cut projects like Ouya off at the knees.

But such an approach is contrary to Microsoft's traditional way of thinking...I hope they've seen the light...

Old
04-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The "XBox Mini" would be a very smart move IF (and only IF) they release a proper, free SDK for it, and don't require developers to go through all the ******** hoops they currently have to go through. Release the dev tools, open a GameStore, and let the marketplace find and fill the needs. And it would cut projects like Ouya off at the knees.

But such an approach is contrary to Microsoft's traditional way of thinking...I hope they've seen the light...
Considering the comments from the Oddworld devs recently, probably not.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

What did they say?

Old
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
chasespace

When is the Xbox reveal event? I know it's in May. For some reason I want to say the 21st but I don't think that's right.

Closed Thread