HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
  #51
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,124
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers79 View Post
cantplayhockytitus. Known to affect players such as Marcel Hossa, Alex Frolov and Wade Redden.
That's not a real ailment.

I'm going to guess insomnia.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
  #52
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,571
vCash: 500
Can't sleep? Must be some sort of disease or injury. Or, ya know, he can't sleep

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
  #53
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,634
vCash: 500
He had a good game, but still needs to be nowhere near the PP.

__________________

Last edited by JeffMangum: 04-10-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Come ahn
Ail is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
  #54
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Can't sleep? Must be some sort of disease or injury. Or, ya know, he can't sleep
perhaps hes suffering from lack of jam?

Ryan McDonut is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
  #55
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
kind of OT but does anyone here know how to make good labels for like... jars of Jam? Just an idea for anyone who wants to get themselves into a golden business opportunity.

Byron did not play that well tonight. Byron did not deserve a star. Byron just didn't **** up and used his size on 3 shifts.

I just feel like adding "Brian Boyle" at the end of any post to prove my point. Shouldn't that be enough?

Brian Boyle.

Cresto is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
  #56
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
He drew a penalty tonight and played with energy. Otherwise Meh. Not sure how that performance is better than Hank, Zucc, Hags, McD and Step to name a few. He still turned the puck over several times, produced nothing on the score sheet and Hags had to get into a different line combination to light the lamp. Anyone who plays with BB will not score. Were his FOs good? I haven't seen the numbers.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:05 AM
  #57
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,124
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Anyone who plays with BB will not score.
Gotta love science.

Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:59 AM
  #58
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
He drew a penalty tonight and played with energy. Otherwise Meh. Not sure how that performance is better than Hank, Zucc, Hags, McD and Step to name a few. He still turned the puck over several times, produced nothing on the score sheet and Hags had to get into a different line combination to light the lamp. Anyone who plays with BB will not score. Were his FOs good? I haven't seen the numbers.
Only took three. Won one. Still I wouldn't be surprised if we see him back at C (or on the wing taking faceoffs) next game. Brass was an abysmal 3 for 13.

SixGoalieSystem is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:14 AM
  #59
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Too much ice time. End of story.

mattyd99 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
  #60
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,859
vCash: 500
Let Boyle continue to be more effective. It only raises his value in the summer.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:51 AM
  #61
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Ok, now that he reminded us that he's NOT in fact 6 foot 7 inches of useless crap, is this the return of the Boyle from two seasons ago?
I read this last night and thought wait Boyle changed his height, he's not 6'7"? Just until now did I realize.

Cmox is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:15 AM
  #62
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Poor Boyle. He played a good game last night, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get annoyed seeing him out there that much.

Riverdale is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
  #63
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,048
vCash: 50
A man that can really do no good. Plays a good game (which can't be said for most of the team) and he still gets hated.

I still remember the Brian "Gretzky" Boyle threads two years ago.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
  #64
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
A man that can really do no good. Plays a good game (which can't be said for most of the team) and he still gets hated.

I still remember the Brian "Gretzky" Boyle threads two years ago.
If he starts scoring a goal every 4 games, we will continue said Brian Gretzky Boyle thread. He does things well. Unfortunately, these are not the things that are immediately important to a game and the way he accomplishes these things while not accomplishing other things makes people hate him. His offensive attempts lacks any presence of mind. If goal scorers are described to be able to find ways to do it and make it look easy, Byron Boy finds an offensive dead end and makes the entire attempt difficult to bare for himself and for the fans. Not a creature that's fun to watch in the offensive zone.

Cresto is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
  #65
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,048
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
If he starts scoring a goal every 4 games, we will continue said Brian Gretzky Boyle thread. He does things well. Unfortunately, these are not the things that are immediately important to a game and the way he accomplishes these things while not accomplishing other things makes people hate him. His offensive attempts lacks any presence of mind. If goal scorers are described to be able to find ways to do it and make it look easy, Byron Boy finds an offensive dead end and makes the entire attempt difficult to bare for himself and for the fans. Not a creature that's fun to watch in the offensive zone.
If anyone likes to make fun of Boyle, its me. It's both hilarious and easy. That said, he....still....takes....WAY....too....much....heat around here. This teams entire offense is just putrid and if your name isn't Derek or Rick, you probably aren't scoring. Verbally slaughtering the 4th line center who is clearly being overused by the coach seems extremely unfair to me.

Boyle is awful offensively. Boyle is prone to stupid penalties. Boyle also works his ****ing ass off and shows more effort night in and out than half this ******* team. He's also the only guy that can win a FO which makes him a lot more valuable than he is given credit for.

Some poster in a previous Boyle thread used an excellent analogy. If the Rangers are a metaphorical car, Brian Boyle is a bad paint job and its stupid to get so worked up over that when the car has no ******* engine.

Bob Richards is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
  #66
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Poor Boyle. He played a good game last night, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get annoyed seeing him out there that much.
Even with the fact that Boyle was quite clearly one of the best forwards last night, huh?

Thats an agenda for you, I guess

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:23 AM
  #67
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Even with the fact that Boyle was quite clearly one of the best forwards last night, huh?

Thats an agenda for you, I guess
Or perhaps he thinks that a player with zero offensive awareness/skill shouldn't be on the PP. I have nothing against BB and thought he played well last night - that said, Torts has NO business putting him on the ice in 5 on 4 situations.

NYR1967 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:27 AM
  #68
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Or perhaps he thinks that a player with zero offensive awareness/skill shouldn't be on the PP. I have nothing against BB and thought he played well last night - that said, Torts has NO business putting him on the ice in 5 on 4 situations.
Yes, I'd like to address the PP. Perhaps people have ignored that the Rangers PP have jumped about 15 spots since the trade with Brian Boyle as part of the powerplay. Who cares about that when Brian Boyle makes them feel . His job on the powerplay is to park his 6'7'' frame in front of the goaltender. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe we should just go back to the horrendous PP we saw the first 30 games. At least it didnt have Boyle on it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:28 AM
  #69
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,048
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Or perhaps he thinks that a player with zero offensive awareness/skill shouldn't be on the PP. I have nothing against BB and thought he played well last night - that said, Torts has NO business putting him on the ice in 5 on 4 situations.
He doesn't and I think people should criticize Torts for that like you did.

He's being overused. I can't fault him for that.

Bob Richards is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
  #70
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
He doesn't and I think people should criticize Torts for that like you did.

He's being overused. I can't fault him for that.
Definitely not Boyle's fault - like I said, I have nothing against the guy and thought he played well. It's not his fault if Torts isn't utilizing him correctly.

NYR1967 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
  #71
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,572
vCash: 500
Get this dude on some Ambien.

nevesis is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
  #72
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Get off the guy. He's an effective 4th line center who's solid in the defensive zone, good on faceoffs, and good on the PK. I agree that he sees a little too much ice time, but seriously there are many worse problems on these team other than Brian Boyle.

Instead of abusing a guy who makes 2 million ish a year, why don't we discuss the poor play of Brad Richards, Dan Girardi, or (lately) Ryan Callahan? Those are bigger problems than Brian Boyle

zuckera1 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  #73
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If anyone likes to make fun of Boyle, its me. It's both hilarious and easy. That said, he....still....takes....WAY....too....much....heat around here. This teams entire offense is just putrid and if your name isn't Derek or Rick, you probably aren't scoring. Verbally slaughtering the 4th line center who is clearly being overused by the coach seems extremely unfair to me.

Boyle is awful offensively. Boyle is prone to stupid penalties. Boyle also works his ****ing ass off and shows more effort night in and out than half this ******* team. He's also the only guy that can win a FO which makes him a lot more valuable than he is given credit for.

Some poster in a previous Boyle thread used an excellent analogy. If the Rangers are a metaphorical car, Brian Boyle is a bad paint job and its stupid to get so worked up over that when the car has no ******* engine.
Moar Jam. Brass was offensively reliable to show up here and there. 8 goals before joining us in 36 games or so. 1 in 4. So far he's gotten 1 in 5 with us (on first day and if pattern holds, he's been plagued by our system.

Torts system can be fine but I theorize that BECAUSE OF TORT'S SYSTEM'S pressure point on the players (what they should be doing in each zone in each situation imaginable), they're mentally unable to retain an instinctive offensive drive. They look confused on 2-1s, 3-2s, breakaways, PPs, 5 on 5s. Only Rick and Step (arguably the only two that are immune to Torts hypnotic messages are producing when they get the chance. Cally works hard in Torts system which is a good match but he's not that skilled to be able to break through and score on command like Step and Nash most nights. Everyone in this system gets over coached imo.

THE MESSAGE IS FINE.
THE DRILLING OF THE MESSAGE IS EXCESSIVE.

Cresto is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
  #74
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,041
vCash: 500
Think about it this way.

What we saw, as fans, from Brian Boyle last night in his 15 minutes of ice time, was exactly what we used to see night in and night out from guys like Jed Ortmeyer, Blair Betts, and Ryan Hollweg (before he became such a liability on the ice). Do you guys remember those days? The HBO fourth line was - in it's ways - amazing for the Rangers.

Every single night you could count on the HBO line to be effective defensively, and even play some shifts grinding the **** out of the opposing team in their offensive zone. That was on a night in and night out basis.

An interesting stat to look at would be Jed Ortmeyer in the 06-07 season. Jed played in 41 games for the Rangers that year, finished +2 and recorded 11 points (2 goals). The year before that in 05-06, Jed would play in 78 games, record 7 points (5 goals) and finish a +2. In 06-07 Jed played an average of 12:35 a game. In 05-06 Jed played an average of 11:06.

He was used as a defensively responsible fourth line winger. He was never called on to provide offense on a nightly basis. If he saw PP time, I can't remember him being out there. HE WAS USED THE RIGHT WAY.

It's a ****ing disaster that Brian Boyle is a third liner on this team. I've been saying it even before the season started. I was saying it even after he scored 21 goals in a season. It was so obvious that he would never, ever touch 20 again. And he's not going to, because he is a fourth liner in the NHL.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, the personnel on this team requires Brian Boyle to play above his head and on the third line. Not so unfortunately for the Rangers, there is a way to keep Brian Boyle away from the PP, and yet Tortorella continues to throw Boyle out there like he's doing God's work, and reward him for doing nothing. OH MY GOD! Boyle used his size in one game last night! Amazing, let's reward him. I say **** that. He's a disaster. He should play no more than 12 minutes a night pending time spent on the PK, and he should never sniff power play time, or touch the ice when the Rangers are down a goal late in the game.

Brian Boyle has 5 points this season. He's averaging 14:28 of ice time a night including time with talented wingers, and power play time. He has been on the ice for less than 10 Rangers goals this season. (As far as I remember, before the trading deadline I read a stat that said Boyle had only been on the ice for four New York Rangers goals, I can't remember how many he's been on since the deadline, and am conceding to typing ~10, which I think is a heavily generous number).

I guess I'm a part of the Renney school of thought where I believe that the fourth line should be the defensively capable line, while the third line should be used to bring some offense to the table. The third line for the New York Rangers will never bring offense to the table with Brian Boyle as a winger on that line. John Tortorella demands defense though, and THAT is why Boyle is a third liner here.

Is it Boyle's fault the Rangers don't have the depth required to make him the true fourth liner that he is? Of course not. Am I counting on Boyle to provide offense to this team? Oh Hell no. Do I wish that Hagelin and Brassard had a more capable winger? You better ****ing believe it. Do I understand it when Torts promotes Boyle to second line duty and plays him with Richards and Clowe? Nope. I don't even pretend to. Am I counting down the days until Dorsett is healthy? You better ****ing believe it. Do I think for a second it makes a difference where Brian Boyle plays in this lineup? No way. Not with this coach.

silverfish is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
  #75
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Would anyone like to comment on how the powerplay has improved since Brian Boyle was put on it to park his big ass in front of the net? Anyone? Anyone?

And no, Im not saying that Boyle is the reason. But when you consider how horrible it was, and how its getting better with Boyle as a part of it, why mess with that?

Theres plenty of other reasons to complain about Boyle or Tortorella. The PP thing isnt one of them.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.