HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If Larsson plays in the CHL next season, will the Flyers have to decide to sign him at the end of the year? Or will they still have 4 years since he started overseas?
I'm not really sure if he falls under the old CBA rules or the new one since the draft was before the lockout.

I would think regardless they would have him play in the CHL to get used to the rink size and rules with players his own age rather than throw him in with the wolves in the AHL. He's hasn't even played a men's league game in Sweden yet so I don't think he could handle the AHL right away.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
MP92

Does anyone else think that Laughton is going to end up being a better point producer than Couturier, despite the drastic differences in their junior numbers? I just think his offense will translate better. As a big Couturier fan, I just don't see him becoming much of a big time offensive threat. I think he turns out to be like a Martin Hanzal type (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that)

Old
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Does anyone else think that Laughton is going to end up being a better point producer than Couturier, despite the drastic differences in their junior numbers? I just think his offense will translate better. As a big Couturier fan, I just don't see him becoming much of a big time offensive threat. I think he turns out to be like a Martin Hanzal type (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that)
I do. Couturier showed a lot last year, and he had a great reason why he looked so physically inferior to other skaters out there. But this year his lack of production and his lack of excuses scare me. I really dont think he will be able to contribute that much on offense. Laughton on the other hand could even become a number 2 center in the nhl with his skill and athleticism.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Zod

Couturier looked great his rookie year, and has had a bad year.

Laughton's looked great so far, hopefully it keeps up.

Seems premature to make comparisons.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
McGinn to ADR.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Rather him get more playing time down there instead of sitting in the press box. Knuble has been playing well also since being reinserted back into the lineup.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:43 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post

Couts has picked it up a bit lately, hopefully just a sophomore slump.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
No. I think people that are writing off Couturier's offensive potential are (at their best) idiotic, and those saying Laughton's going to end up the better offensive player of the two aren't much better.

Statistically, if you expect for a player to produce well at this stage, he needs to have already proven himself at a lower level. These are the numbers each prospect put up in his draft year, ranked by his most productive NHL season.

Claude Giroux (93) - 103 points in 69 games
Jeff Carter (84) - 71 in 61
Mike Richards (80) - 87 in 67
Simon Gagne (79) - 69 in 53
Justin Williams (76) - 83 in 68
Patrick Sharp (71) - 27 in 34
Scott Hartnell (67) - 82 in 62
Joffrey Lupul (67) - 106 in 72
RJ Umberger (57) - 37 in 32
Jakub Voracek (50) - 86 in 59
Wayne Simmonds (49) - 49 in 66
Steve Downie (46) - 73 in 61
James VanRiemsdyk (40) - 63 in 42
Scottie Upshall (34) - 83 in 61
Sean Couturier (27) - 96 in 58
Brayden Schenn (22) - 88 in 70
Scott Laughton (0) - 53 in 64

Laughton's not in the same company as the other two.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:56 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
No. I think people that are writing off Couturier's offensive potential are (at their best) idiotic, and those saying Laughton's going to end up the better offensive player of the two aren't much better.

Statistically, if you expect for a player to produce well at this stage, he needs to have already proven himself at a lower level. These are the numbers each prospect put up in his draft year, ranked by his most productive NHL season.

Claude Giroux (93) - 103 points in 69 games
Jeff Carter (84) - 71 in 61
Mike Richards (80) - 87 in 67
Simon Gagne (79) - 69 in 53
Justin Williams (76) - 83 in 68
Patrick Sharp (71) - 27 in 34
Scott Hartnell (67) - 82 in 62
Joffrey Lupul (67) - 106 in 72
RJ Umberger (57) - 37 in 32
Jakub Voracek (50) - 86 in 59
Wayne Simmonds (49) - 49 in 66
Steve Downie (46) - 73 in 61
James VanRiemsdyk (40) - 63 in 42
Scottie Upshall (34) - 83 in 61
Sean Couturier (27) - 96 in 58
Brayden Schenn (22) - 88 in 70
Scott Laughton (0) - 53 in 64

Laughton's not in the same company as the other two.
Well, you contradicted your point by listing Simmonds and Sharp. Both of their draft year numbers were underwhelming as well. Not even ppg. So who's to say Laughton won't produce in the pros like them? If you had been paying attention to what he had done after his short stint with the Flyers, he went on a tear to finish the regular season and continued that all the way through the playoffs. He was a whole different player.

As for Couturier, Max Talbot put up a 104 and 98 point season in juniors, and he didn't become a big point producer at all. Albeit he was drafted much later than Couts and wasn't looked at as having the same potential. My point is, junior stats don't ALWAYS reflect what a player will be able to do in the pros. But, hey Im just an idiot

Old
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
What exactly in their games makes you think this?

Couturier has much better offensive instincts. Laughton is a better skater and has more of a high motor game. Laughton looks like he will be a good player but he has a much better chance of being a valuable mucker type with good defensive abilities whereas Couturier has the chance of being a 70 point 1st line, two way center

Old
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
What exactly in their games makes you think this?

Couturier has much better offensive instincts. Laughton is a better skater and has more of a high motor game. Laughton looks like he will be a good player but he has a much better chance of being a valuable mucker type with good defensive abilities whereas Couturier has the chance of being a 70 point 1st line, two way center
I feel Couturier's speed isn't going to get much better and that it will hold him back. For example, there's been a few times where on the p.k. he has intercepted a pass near the blue-line and had the opportunity for a breakaway but his lack of acceleration and overall speed stopped that from happening. Or when he is just skating through the neutral zone, back-checkers catch up to him easily. He could improve, but I don't think he will enough to fulfill that offensive potential that his shot, passing and instincts shows he has. I hope Im wrong. Id love to be wrong about this. It's just my view.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Couturier had the most PPG of any draft eligible prospect in the CHL when he was drafted. In the league with the least Goals per game (hard to believe, but the Q has changed a lot in the last 4-7 years.

The quality of linemates he has had this year has inhibited his scoring... arguably he has had worse this year that last, he also plays some of the harder minutes on the team and is on the PK a lot.

Also, compared to last year his PPG is pretty bloody even!

2011-12: .350
2012-13: .324

This is also considering his shot % is under half of what it was last year, which over 82 games you would expect to revert to the mean... I'd expect from a statistical standpoint that if 82 games were played this year, considering the low % percentage, he would end up with 30-35~ points... considering he is on 27 point pace this year with such an awful shot %.

I expect him to be a minimum of a 50-60 point player with Selke defence...

Old
04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Well, you contradicted your point by listing Simmonds and Sharp. Both of their draft year numbers were underwhelming as well. Not even ppg. So who's to say Laughton won't produce in the pros like them? If you had been paying attention to what he had done after his short stint with the Flyers, he went on a tear to finish the regular season and continued that all the way through the playoffs. He was a whole different player.
Those are two of the seventeen examples I provided, and one of those examples you're referencing was Patrick Sharp, a 17-year old B-list recruit playing in the ECAC. If that last part doesn't resonate with you at all, move along. You're out of your element.

Quote:
As for Couturier, Max Talbot put up a 104 and 98 point season in juniors, and he didn't become a big point producer at all. Albeit he was drafted much later than Couts and wasn't looked at as having the same potential. My point is, junior stats don't ALWAYS reflect what a player will be able to do in the pros. But, hey Im just an idiot
You said it. Not me.

In his draft year, Maxime put up 60 points in 65 games, which was good enough for 61st overall in league scoring. When it was time for Sean Couturier's draft, he had already led the QMJHL in scoring, was named the QMJHL MVP, and managed to scrounge together a fourth overall finish in point totals while recovering from mono.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
I feel Couturier's speed isn't going to get much better and that it will hold him back. For example, there's been a few times where on the p.k. he has intercepted a pass near the blue-line and had the opportunity for a breakaway but his lack of acceleration and overall speed stopped that from happening. Or when he is just skating through the neutral zone, back-checkers catch up to him easily. He could improve, but I don't think he will enough to fulfill that offensive potential that his shot, passing and instincts shows he has. I hope Im wrong. Id love to be wrong about this. It's just my view.
Good god, man. People thought the same thing about the Sedins, Penner, Richards, Getzlaf, and Perry, and they all turned out to be fantastic NHL players. It just takes hard work. Aspects that should turn you off of a player include attitude, stickhandling, and awareness. I can't remember ever seeing a prospect turn it around when they've lacked one or more of those skills.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
You know who else is supposed to have skating hold him back? John Tavares.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post

Way premature. We are talking about 18 and 19 year old kids. They both need to get stronger. Sean could turn out to be a beast in a few years once he gets his man strenght and confidence. I think Scott is very confident in his game already but he also needs to learn the pro game. Along with Giroux, the Flyers have a bright future at center.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

London won 4-3 in OT. Stolarz stopped 47 of 50. London up 3-1 in the series.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
busy night

Old
04-10-2013, 09:35 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
busy night
Nice to see he had a good bounce back game after getting pulled.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
busy night
Gibson had an even busier night with stopping 57 of 61. Both teams got a ton of shots off tonight.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Good god, man. People thought the same thing about the Sedins, Penner, Richards, Getzlaf, and Perry, and they all turned out to be fantastic NHL players. It just takes hard work. Aspects that should turn you off of a player include attitude, stickhandling, and awareness. I can't remember ever seeing a prospect turn it around when they've lacked one or more of those skills.
Woof. I agree with everything you've said above, but that....yikes.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Stolarz gave up 3 goals?! That's 1 a period. Man, the Knights had to score 4 just for a win. Stolarz better pick it up next game or I don't want to hear about him again.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Taylor Leier picked up another goal tonight in a 5-0 win. Portland won the series 4-0.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:20 AM
jb**

couterier might end up having a danius zubrus type career.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:57 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Re: Couturier, I've been kicking around the idea next season – primary decision-maker for this franchise that I am – of a Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds "super youth" 2nd line. I don't remember who first proposed this, but it definitely intrigues me. This would go well with resigning Hall for another season and potentially having Laughton with the Flyers (though I'd rather he wait the extra year). Something like:

Hartnell – that captain guy – Voracek
Schenn – Couturier – Simmonds
Talbot – Laughton – Read
McGinn – Hall – the criminal

Depends, too, if Gagné gets resigned, which would bump Talbot down to the 4th line. As much as I'd like to retain Gagné, I like the balance of these lines for offense / defense.

If Laughton stays in the OHL, Talbot remains 4th line C, or we finally (FINALLY!) see the emergence of Holmstrom, and Hall is the 3rd line C. Talbot - Hall are the 1st PK line.

Of course, I'm taking for granted that Brière is gone by next season.

Closed Thread