HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Compelling offseason for Islanders?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:48 AM
WestleySnipez
Christmas came early

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure the Canucks would gladly trade you Booth and Ballard for the rights to Streit if he didn't want to resign.

WestleySnipez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
That seems like a loser mentality right there. Teams play to win the game. No professionals lose on purpose.
There's no way, as an athlete that trained my entire life, I'm going to give up trying to play hockey for my team on the off-chance some 18-year old can come in and steal my job next season.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:29 AM
stempniaksen

vCash: 50
Have the Islanders tried Bailey next to Tavares yet? Seems like a combo that could do wonders.

Moulson - Tavares - Bailey
xxxx - Nelson/Strome - Okposo
Niederreiter - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - MacDonald
Ullstrom

Streit - Hamonic
Visnovsky - AMAC
Donovan - Strait
Hickey - Carkner

Nabokov
DP/Poulin/Nilsson

I don't think that both Nelson and Strome will be ready, they would battle it out for the 2nd/3rd line center spot. Also, could Ullstrom fill that spot on 2nd line LW, or would they have to bring in someone? Defence could use another legitimate top-four guy, but those are all guys that have played well in Isles uniforms. That's a real deep roster though, that's a team that looks like they're headed in the right direction.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:08 AM
416Leafer

Bernier would be a good pick up for them. They could move one of NN or their 1st (+ something else), and still have a very good young group to build around, it would just be more balanced with a potential high end goalie.

Tavares/Strome/Nielsen/Okoposo/Moulson to build around up front. Hamonic/Reinhart/Streit(if resigned)/etc to build around on the blueline. Bernier in goal.

They could definitely use some size in that top 6 though.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Have the Islanders tried Bailey next to Tavares yet? Seems like a combo that could do wonders.

Moulson - Tavares - Bailey
xxxx - Nelson/Strome - Okposo
Niederreiter - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - MacDonald
Ullstrom

Streit - Hamonic
Visnovsky - AMAC
Donovan - Strait
Hickey - Carkner

Nabokov
DP/Poulin/Nilsson

I don't think that both Nelson and Strome will be ready, they would battle it out for the 2nd/3rd line center spot. Also, could Ullstrom fill that spot on 2nd line LW, or would they have to bring in someone? Defence could use another legitimate top-four guy, but those are all guys that have played well in Isles uniforms. That's a real deep roster though, that's a team that looks like they're headed in the right direction.
Streit should be nowhere near the top pairing for 5 on 5. He's a 3rd pairing defenseman who is very good on the PP. He's not worth signing imo.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:51 AM
TheZec

What I would love would be to go after Ryan for this 1st line spot. I think this is the priority, despite our blue line doesn't really look stellar. You add a young, proven goal scorer and makes your star player finally happy. You then re-sign Streit (sad to see how he regressed - but he would still be better than anything we would get on the UFA market).

What could we throw at Anaheim to get Ryan? I'd say Nino + 1st would be the start... then (and it pains me, cause I love him), I think we would need to add Nielsen (and hope Nelson/Strome are ready to fill the spot).

So: Nino, 1st, Nielsen for Ryan... would it do it? It would really help the Isles IMO, not sure if enough for ANA tough.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Briere for a craptastic return?

Maybe he'd waive his NMC--NYI is at least somewhat close to his kids. His contract should work well for the team. He wouldn't cost much. By all accounts, he's an excellent off-ice presence for a young team, even though his on-ice production has dropped dramatically.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Dan-o16

Here's my plan:

Goaltender:
1. Trade Nino + Poulin & a 3rd, or Nino + Nilsson for Bernier.
2. Make deal with Bernier. 3yrs/4M AAV
3. Resign Nabokov for 2 years.
4. Tell them to expect a 46/36 split or thereabouts in year one.

Defense:
1. Let Streit walk.
2. Get deal done for Hamonic.
3. Get deal done for Hickey.
4. Try to pick up a guy like Roszival. If not, then Corvo? We need a righty.
5. Interesting little competition between Strait and Donovan at camp.

Forward:
1. Let Boyes walk.
2. Assess Strome's progress. Determine whether he fits as a center or a wing. My expectation: he fits better as a center.
3. Attempt to sign Horton or Ryder. (Clarkson would, IMO, never ever stick it to his boss by signing with NYI).
4. If no luck signing Horton or Ryder, sign PM Bouchard or Danny Briere post-buyout.
5. Hold interesting little competition between Anders Lee and Brock Nelson at camp.

Here's the idea:

Moulson-Tavares-Horton/Ryder/Bouchard/Briere
Bailey/Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson/Lee-Strome-Grabner/Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Joensuu/Lee

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Strait/Donovan-Roszival/Corvo/Scuderi
Carkner

Bernier
Nabokov

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:12 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Here's my plan:

Goaltender:

Defense:
1. Let Streit walk.

Forward:
1. Let Boyes walk.
2. Assess Strome's progress. Determine whether he fits as a center or a wing. My expectation: he fits better as a center.
3. Attempt to sign Horton or Ryder. (Clarkson would, IMO, never ever stick it to his boss by signing with NYI).
4. If no luck signing Horton or Ryder, sign PM Bouchard or Danny Briere post-buyout.
5. Hold interesting little competition between Anders Lee and Brock Nelson at camp.

Here's the idea:

Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Joensuu/Lee

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Carkner

Bernier
Nabokov
Hickey in the top 4 isn't good. Imo Strait is better and will be better in the future.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Hickey in the top 4 isn't good. Imo Strait is better and will be better in the future.
Whatever. Let them fight it out in camp. Neither will be a dead contract. We can waive or trade. No big deal.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I expect

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-(Grabner)UFA bottom6 vet
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Viz-Hamonic
Hickey-AMAC
Donovan-Carkner

Nabby if resigned or trade/ufa
Poulin
Insert Strait for Hickey. Hickey is not signed and Strait is signed for 3 more years.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I think Hickey is going to be a solid number 4 for a while FWIW.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Nolanitis

I expect most of the "holes" to be filled from within. If they are attractive players bought out maybe the Isles will sign one of them.

I think the most interesting thing to watch is to see what they do at goalie. Sign Nabby one more year and draft a goalie in 1st 2 rounds, or go after a Bernier type.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I think Hickey is going to be a solid number 4 for a while FWIW.
I hope he's not in our top 4 for while.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:54 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Grabovksi for 1st at draft if you make playoffs?
Something like this, I like Grabo, but he just has no place on this team, not on the third line. Bozak will center Kessel and Kadri will center the other line likely with Lupul on his wing.

He's an awesome player and he would do well behind Taveras.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Here's my plan:

Goaltender:

Defense:
1. Let Streit walk.

Forward:
1. Let Boyes walk.

Here's the idea:

Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Joensuu/Lee

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Carkner

Bernier
Nabokov
Personally I think the battle on D will be between Hickey and Donovan. Strait is a completely different player from those two. That's if Hickey is even resigned.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Personally I think the battle on D will be between Hickey and Donovan. Strait is a completely different player from those two. That's if Hickey is even resigned.
Donovan is a completely different player than Hickey...

Old
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Dan-o16

Okay, NYI fans. Talk about over-obsessing over details.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
xECK29x

More speculation by Jeff Capellini of WFAN in New York about the major offseason the Isles are believed to have:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...with-no-floor/

And looking even further into the future, there’s this widely held belief that owner Charles Wang won’t start spending meaningful money until the team moves to Brooklyn after the 2014-15 season. All I can say to that is don’t believe everything you hear. People I’ve spoken to who have a better understanding of the team’s front office mindset than most media members and diehard fans have told me the Isles are in a position to make a lot of noise this summer.

Expect the Islanders to be more active this summer than you’ve seen in years. Expect them to find an upgrade for Boyes on the top line, to perhaps spend or trade their way to acquiring a solid stay-at-home defenseman and to add more help in net. And for those wondering about all the talent the Isles have at Bridgeport, expect those players to get shots to make the club next fall, but don’t expect there to be as many open slots as was figured to be the case before.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:11 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
More speculation by Jeff Capellini of WFAN in New York about the major offseason the Isles are believed to have:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...with-no-floor/

And looking even further into the future, there’s this widely held belief that owner Charles Wang won’t start spending meaningful money until the team moves to Brooklyn after the 2014-15 season. All I can say to that is don’t believe everything you hear. People I’ve spoken to who have a better understanding of the team’s front office mindset than most media members and diehard fans have told me the Isles are in a position to make a lot of noise this summer.

Expect the Islanders to be more active this summer than you’ve seen in years. Expect them to find an upgrade for Boyes on the top line, to perhaps spend or trade their way to acquiring a solid stay-at-home defenseman and to add more help in net. And for those wondering about all the talent the Isles have at Bridgeport, expect those players to get shots to make the club next fall, but don’t expect there to be as many open slots as was figured to be the case before.
Missouri state motto..show me

Jeff Capellini says they'll spend, while Staple says they won't.

The isles offering Streit $5m per, says they will do some spending. Either Streit takes their $5m offer or they can put it towards another team need. If Wang thinks he has a buyer lined up and will be out of the Coliseum lease, it would give him greater incentive to spend.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:16 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Good to see the Islanders attempting to be relevant again. I can see them possibly making a play for Bobby Ryan in the off-season. Him and Tavares on the 1st line would do wonders for the Isles.

04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Ricky Bobby

There definitely are some interesting things go on with Islanders.

Ideally they'd:

D: Reink Streit to at max a 3 year deal. They've got 3 good prospects on D in Reinhart, Donovan and De Haan that should all get some games next season but not necessarily start the season with team. Streit, Vis, MacDonald, Hamonic will be their big 4.

G: Reink Nabokov. The other # 1 need for this team is to find another goalie that is at least capable of being a platoon goalie. Khudobin, Theodore and Emery would all fit the bill.

F: Reink Boyes for cheap and add in another vet to slowly break in the youngsters. Strome will break in with the big club but might also benefit from some time in the AHL.

Look for salary dump deals with players on short term contracts or veterans on short term deals in free agency.

The Islanders should essentially be looking to add a goalie and 2nd line/# 4 calibar dmen on short term deals to give the team lots of depth to be patient with prospects and lots of trade assets as the season progresses (like how Dallas added Jagr for only cap space knowing they'd probably end up trading him before the deadline).

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
People Iíve spoken to who have a better understanding of the teamís front office mindset than most media members and diehard fans have told me the Isles are in a position to make a lot of noise this summer.
Of coarse the Islanders are in a position to make a lot of noise, they have one of the lowest payrolls in the NHL. Now will they make noise is a different question

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Donovan is a completely different player than Hickey...
That's true but Strait is more of a shurdown defensive style Dman. If anything I think they are more inclined to partner him up with a rookie like Donovan. Hickey is niether a shut down Dman or as of yet an offensive Dman. If they resign Streit i'm not so sure Hickey will be back. Our D needs to get bigger not smaller. I like what Hickey's done for us so far but i'm just not sure he fits into our future plans.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
I'm on the same page as Dan-o, a lot of goalies will be on the market this summer; Nabby is aging and won't be able to play 60 games anymore, Poulin hasn't shown he can be a viable NHL backup at this point, Nilsson basically missed a whole year with a B12 or RBC deficiency (not sure which one), Koskinen resigned for two years in Finland, and I want DiPi as far away as possible from this team.

On the defensive side of things, it's not looking like they're going to resign Streit, and I doubt Marty is resigned either. I expect Hickey and Donovan to compete for Streit's spot and veteran to be signed to split time with Carkner like Marty did.

Offensively, it's not a secret JT needs another wing but I don't the see Isles making much noise, maybe a minor signing like Boyes from last year.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote