HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Jersey Satans vs Boston Bears 7:30PM at The Rock on NBCSN part deuce

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Makes two of us. I wore my Parise Wild t-shirt last night. Really tough to let it go..
It's really been starting to sink in a lot recently. Watching what's been happening to this team these last 2 months has really made me appreciate the guy. I don't know how great of a captain he really was but I just don't think he would have stood for some of the crap we've been seeing. It's not a coincidence we never had a crap team with him healthy. Nothing against Salvador but he just doesn't cut it in my opinion. Zach was the total package really. He did so many little things that didn't show up on the stat sheet. I love Kovy but there was something about Zach that made me love that guy and made him favorite player. He's still one of my favorite players but holy hell does it hurt seeing him in that Wild jersey. I don't know whether it was Vanderbeek not having enough money, the Suter factor, or what but that kick in the balls still hurts months later.

Jesus, I sound like some dude that can't get over his girlfriend breaking up with him.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:31 AM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
It's really been starting to sink in a lot recently. Watching what's been happening to this team these last 2 months has really made me appreciate the guy. I don't know how great of a captain he really was but I just don't think he would have stood for some of the crap we've been seeing. It's not a coincidence we never had a crap team with him healthy. Nothing against Salvador but he just doesn't cut it in my opinion. Zach was the total package really. He did so many little things that didn't show up on the stat sheet. I love Kovy but there was something about Zach that made me love that guy and made him favorite player. He's still one of my favorite players but holy hell does it hurt seeing him in that Wild jersey. I don't know whether it was Vanderbeek not having enough money, the Suter factor, or what but that kick in the balls still hurts months later.

Jesus, I sound like some dude that can't get over his girlfriend breaking up with him.
Completely agree with everything. And trust me, this is coming from people who know his wife, he wasn't coming back here. Minneapolis/St Paul combined with Suter were two things we couldn't offer. The dollar amount was irrelevant.

I received a text from one of my good friends, who personally knows Parise's wife, a few days before he signed that said "very much looking like Parise and Suter are a package deal." I didn't post it on here because I didn't want to believe it.

When you watch the Devils this year it's instantly noticeable how their forecheck is missing Parise. He went 120% all day and him and Zajac were absolutely unstoppable in the corners.

We will never see another player like him...

Old
04-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I'm thinking Zajac will have a bounce back year. If not for Zajac I think we give up more goals. Why? Because he's the only guy that can win a damn faceoff, and if not for him we'd lose a lot more defensive zone faceoffs. There could easily be more goals against. It's not as far as it sounds I don't think either.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Rella17

Parise lead this team to within two wins of a 4th cup, guy gave it his all night in and night out last season. just wish it had ended on the winning side of the finals.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:44 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
Parise lead this team to within two wins of a 4th cup, guy gave it his all night in and night out last season. just wish it had ended on the winning side of the finals.
I love Parise for what he did when he was here...

but it's clear he didn't want to be here, so that kind of leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.. you can spin it any way you want but there were 20+ guys in that lockerroom last year who saw him as their leader and he just picked up and abandoned them.

Am I ever going to root for him again? Nope.. sorry, but if you leave like that, you're dead to me.
Am I going to actively root against him? Nope, couldn't care less. It's not like he pulled a Gomez.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:47 AM
Rella17

and the worst part is that if he stayed this team could make another run or two with Marty in net, but now we're probably going to miss the playoffs.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:00 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
and the worst part is that if he stayed this team could make another run or two with Marty in net, but now we're probably going to miss the playoffs.
Eh..

I think there are very, very few players in this league that makes average teams into contenders.. and Parise is not one of them.

He would help, of course.. but let's not pretend last year's team was a heavy contender. They got hot at the right time, that's not necessarily a repeatable recipe.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:34 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
When you watch the Devils this year it's instantly noticeable how their forecheck is missing Parise. He went 120% all day and him and Zajac were absolutely unstoppable in the corners.

Parise and Zubrus set the tone for the forecheck last year, and you can tell how much they've missed both of them this season. I really miss watching Parise play. I can't watch Wild games because the wound is still too raw.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Completely agree with everything. And trust me, this is coming from people who know his wife, he wasn't coming back here. Minneapolis/St Paul combined with Suter were two things we couldn't offer. The dollar amount was irrelevant.

I received a text from one of my good friends, who personally knows Parise's wife, a few days before he signed that said "very much looking like Parise and Suter are a package deal." I didn't post it on here because I didn't want to believe it.

Oh wow, didn't know you were that close to him. Interesting stuff. I've always wondered if they pulled and LeBron and Wade and were talking to each other for a while about playing together. Wouldn't really surprise me.

Our system this year or lack there of definitely has "Missing Parise Syndrome". We only show the forecheck from time and time and not consistently. Man Zach was just relentless out there, dude never quit on a play. Zajac misses his ass that's for sure.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:37 AM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Like I said if Lou fires Pete then we know Lou has turned into a Zombie. He didn't exactly help Pete with the lineup.

Johnny Mac was given a MUCH better forward lineup than this, and we still barely scored.
Here we go with this again. A "much" better forward lineup consisting of who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Nah. I just understand the game well and know my team even better.Been watching them closely since 82.
I'm not happy to he right again. Was hoping for Lou to make major adjustments to give us a fighting chance.

This offseason is vital for the health of the hockey team and operations.
Oh come on man. I've been following the team since 95, so what? During the Maclean fiasco, lots of fans who "knew their team" and had been watching a long time were convinced that was the worst team we had since the 80's, then they went on an incredible run and almost climbed back into the top 8. And that team was MUCH worse during those first couple of months on the ice than this one.

Also, it's one thing to say you "think" or "believe" where a team will end up. You basically guaranteed that this team wouldn't make the playoffs. Truth is you took an educated guess based on what you saw two months ago, and happened to be on the right side of that coin. But lots of things could have changed between then and now that could have made you wrong. You are not some swami who can see things others can't, give me a break.

Last edited by Semak: 04-11-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
Here we go with this again. A "much" better forward lineup consisting of who?
I guess he means linups like this one, from Nov. 2010:

Ilya Kovalchuk-Dainius Zubrus-Alexander Vasyunov
Patrik Elias-Jason Arnott-Mattias Tedenby
Brian Rolston-Travis Zajac-David Clarkson
Rod Pelley-Adam Mair-Stephen Gionta

Sprinkle in some Mills, too.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:54 AM
hlaverty06

That'd be something if he and Kovy fought next year....

I can dream

Old
04-11-2013, 05:59 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I think there isn't enough love for Salvador on here, the guy stepped in front of a Chara slap shot and probably broke his hand. People wonder why he was given the "C", there's your answer.

Hopefully Sal is okay.
I just hope it wasn't a Kevin Weekes reaction when Sal went off the ice. Judging by TG's Twitter it wouldn't surprise me.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Billdo

Last nights game was tough. I found it to be surprising that we played better without Sal and Volch. The desparation was evident and they battled much harder. At least they scored, and most of the goals weren't pretty, aside from Greene, and thats something theyve been missing. Too much passing and cuteness, shoot the puck and crash the net. Our PP should just be declined somehow or we should immediately put the puck in the stands to make it 4-4 because our PP is the worst Ive ever seen it.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

hard to do anything but laugh at this point. playoffs are out of the picture now.

for the 1 billionth ****ing time, ZIDLICKY IS ****ING GARBAGE. if we re-sign his stupid ass this summer, im going to punch lou in the ****.

for me, the blame is all on lou. he sat on his **** over the summer, wasn’t a seller at the deadline like any sane GM would’ve, and seems to be oblivious to this team’s problems. SCF my ass. it breaks my heart to say this, but lou needs to go. im tired of thinking ‘oh, he’ll fix this next year’. he wont.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:33 AM
martyisgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
hard to do anything but laugh at this point. playoffs are out of the picture now.

for the 1 billionth ****ing time, ZIDLICKY IS ****ING GARBAGE. if we re-sign his stupid ass this summer, im going to punch lou in the ****.

for me, the blame is all on lou. he sat on his **** over the summer, wasn’t a seller at the deadline like any sane GM would’ve, and seems to be oblivious to this team’s problems. SCF my ass. it breaks my heart to say this, but lou needs to go. im tired of thinking ‘oh, he’ll fix this next year’. he wont.
Every teams job is to get into the playoffs. Why would a GM start selling off players while they are in a playoff hunt at the time? And I dont want to hear any of the Tallinder for a 2nd BS. Think Lou would have turned that down if someone offered that? Takes 2 teams to make a trade last time I checked

But I do agree with you in that I am getting kind of frustrated/tired of the waiting game that seems to happen every year

Old
04-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post

Seems like LL is past his prime at this point.

I'm to the point where I'm not terribly attached to anyone on the team, be it player, coach or front office, with the exception of Brodeur and (I guess) Elias. But if Elias wants to a.) get paid, or b.) try to Borque himself one last Cup, I wish him well elsewhere. I'm fine with any or all others to leave.

I know the stat-mongers will tell us they're only a tweak or two away from another run, but I'm not buying that.

That 2003 championship is fading further and further into the past.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
CerebralGenesis

If we win tomorrow, I don't think we'd be out of the playoff discussion.

Then again this team has 7 wins in 28 games now I think? woof

Old
04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyisgod View Post
Every teams job is to get into the playoffs. Why would a GM start selling off players while they are in a playoff hunt at the time? And I dont want to hear any of the Tallinder for a 2nd BS. Think Lou would have turned that down if someone offered that? Takes 2 teams to make a trade last time I checked
im 100% positive that lou could’ve traded some of the dead weight defensemen on this team. would we have gotten 2nd? I have no idea, it certainly seemed to be a good market for d-men. but who knows?

in the playoff hunt? we’re stil technically ‘in the playoff hunt’. but as GM of this team, you need to be able to see the writing on the wall and sell assets even when it ‘seems like’ we’re in playoff contention. if posters on HF can see that making the playoffs (and, even if we do make the playoffs, we get bounced in the 1st round like a ****ing rubber band ball) is a long shot, then lou sure as **** needs to understand. but this is lou’s way. ‘I have confidence in our players and staff, we’ll get outta this!’ you may remember that speech, it’s the same nonsense he preached for months while JMac **** the bed. his mentality is wrong, his grip on reality is wrong, his compass on this team is wrong. the ‘devils way’ is getting ‘wronger and wronger’ as time goes on. not in PDB’s system, more in the players lou assembles (and, more importantly, lets walk). just ridiculous. im not going to go on a DATW rant here saying that ‘sorry I don’t lick lou’s ass around here and realize he isn’t jesus christ’ but still. its getting out of hand.

im so inclined to, and WANT TO say ‘ah, lou will turn this around next year. he sees what is so fundamentally wrong with this team. he’ll draft a ****ing sniper and not sign a ****ing 4th line goon THIS summer.’ yet, I cant bring myself to say the words. prove me wrong lou, or get. the. ****. out.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Kensu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
If we win tomorrow, I don't think we'd be out of the playoff discussion.

Then again this team has 7 wins in 28 games now I think? woof
3 wins and hope for the Rangers, Islanders, or Senators to go on a 3 game losing streak. meh don't see how we're gonna do it.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
i wonder what lemaire would say about this year's team?
Quote:

It would be a little similar to this.
This video was exactly what I thought of when he asked what JL would say 'They forgot how to play the game".

Listen to him talk from about 2:30-3:30. That could be an exact description of last night's game.

"Chewie... we're home."
Old
04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I don't believe that we're getting in. One of the biggest problems that we have right now is goaltending, where in the past Marty used to bail the team out of trouble, he no longer can. I believe Marty's done. Due to age, injury and stamina he no longer has it. I noticed for a while now that his lateral movement is shot and Moose didn't look any better, while Marty was out.

Lou is going to have to fix that for next season or the Devils will be giving up a top ten first rounder. I don't blame Marty or Moose, it's just nature taking it's toll, I blame Lou.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils screwed up in the first ten minutes, but Brodeur needs to do better than stopping 13 of 18 shots.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

1st goal ES - Marty stops the original shot. Rebound stuffed in with weak net coverage by Zajac. Comedy of errors from 4 Devils in the zone without their heads.
2nd goal SH - Forwards playing D. Again original shot stopped, rebound tapped in mid-air on lazy stick check by Sullivan.
3rd goal SH - Screened deflection 6 feet in front of Marty that changed path at least 2 feet to his right. Original shot path he had covered even though he couldn't see it through Zidlicky's ass.

Clearly the stats don't lie. Marty's fault - team played fine.

Stopped 16 of 18 with that total crapfest of a 1st period not playing out. 2 goals against was plenty good to win this game when the team finally started playing.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
**** Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
That's on Shaw. Get this POS out of here if you're gonna start canning coaches. You say we can't blame the coaches after this many we've had, and that it's the players fault they can't score on the PP? All the more reason to stop spending money on a coach that specializes in coaching the PP and faceoffs. Let one of the other guys coach it, and it can still suck. We'll be saving money.

If our PP was as aggressive as our PK then we'd score. Our PK sometimes is an even bigger threat than our PP which is pathetic. It's not even that we went 0 for 8 on the PP, but the failure to convert on the 5 on 3's. That's 2 out of 3 games now we've failed to score on a 5 on 3 that was over a minute long.
Yea, PP coaches come and go, and we're ****-to-mediocre every season on the PP....yet this is apparently on the "POS" that was the PP coach for the top PP team in the league for the last few years.

Doesn't have anything to do with being loaded with players that are better at grinding it out, than they are at finesse.

Closed Thread