HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
He's not a natural goal scorer. He will never learn to let her rip. This is his greatest weakness, and he will be moved because of it. Eller is also not a candidate for top 2 center for the same reason, but he can play D, and he's big.
Never is not quite true, as guys like Backstrom and even Crosby had some pass-first-itis early in their careers. But not every center learns how to shoot, i.e Getzlaf, so it is probable that DD is a hopeless cause in that department.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
He's not a natural goal scorer. He will never learn to let her rip. This is his greatest weakness, and he will be moved because of it. Eller is also not a candidate for top 2 center for the same reason, but he can play D, and he's big.
Wait? His greatest weakness isn't being an unidimensional, weak 5'2 midget?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Never is not quite true, as guys like Backstrom and even Crosby had some pass-first-itis early in their careers. But not every center learns how to shoot, i.e Getzlaf, so it is probable that DD is a hopeless cause in that department.
Backstrom is elite.
Crosby is a once in a life-time player.

Nuance.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I disagree

The entire DD vs Eller fiasco has festered all season and it continues. This thread is living proof.
It festers because dimwits don't realize it's actually DD VS Galchenyuk, who will take DD's job after Christmas next year, if DD keeps playing like this.

I don't know who keeps bringing Eller into this conversation, but it's stupid to do so.

Eller has other problems. I am not happy with him either, but they have nothing to do with DD.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
It festers because dimwits don't realize it's actually DD VS Galchenyuk, who will take DD's job after Christmas next year, if DD keeps playing like this.

I don't know who keeps bringing Eller into this conversation, but it's stupid to do so.

Eller has other problems. I am not happy with him either, but they have nothing to do with DD.
It is a Eller vs DD discussion. Eller is a C ready for top 6 duties and PP. DD is taking that away from him.
While Chucky is ready for an exploitation role, DD is taking that away from him.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Still doesn't mean that DD passes up shots to pass and Eller, um, sometimes doesn't quite look like a natural just yet....
Blind leading the blind. Neither of them can hit a barn door. Thank god we drafted Galchenyuk, so that threads like this about crappy 2nd line centers (DD AND Eller) will disappear next year.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
You mean on this board. DD signing is a very popular move outside of the Habs HFBoards universe.
So what? Popularity makes things legitimate? Smug majority guy. Wait until you're in the minority, and sing the same tune. Be careful.

Seems like a course in 20th century war and politics might also do you some good.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Blind leading the blind. Neither of them can hit a barn door. Thank god we drafted Galchenyuk, so that threads like this about crappy 2nd line centers (DD AND Eller) will disappear next year.
...Eller and DD are both far better than Galchenyuk this year, and are damn fine players. I'm all for switching DD to the wing but thats a ridiculous statement... We want to see Galchenyuk in an exploitation role because we want him to succeed and because he has potential.

Now theres the Eller case... On pace for 50 points with a total of 20 Minutes on the powerplay. Crappy? Cmon.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Eller isn't even a 2nd line center at this point, and calling him a crappy player is just clueless.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
DD is on pace for 20 goals. I think both are 15-20 goal scorers in full year so that isn't bad. Bourque is also a 20 goal guy. Ryder a 30 and max a 25+. Any are big guys with some finishing ability.
I could be wrong, but DD has not scored in forever. He is not a 20 goal scorer. Sorry. He has been really , badly inconsistent this year.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:16 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Eller isn't even a 2nd line center at this point, and calling him a crappy player is just clueless.
READ. I said crappy second line center. He's a fantastic 3rd line Center. FFS.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You are correct. People will discuss what they will discuss.

With that said, in your opinion, what was the number one reason that we lost the game last night?
I'll bite: Price was kinda crap, and the DD line did not finish, again.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
READ. I said crappy second line center. He's a fantastic 3rd line Center. FFS.
Which is exactly why I said he's not even a 2nd line center at this point. So why bring that up? He might develop into one later in his career but not now. Keep insulting people to try to prove your point.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
This sounds like something a bitter hateful old woman would say. You should be embarrassed. Get a grip. People here, Habs fans, like me, have the right to fairly criticize any player on Habs, and we don't have agendas for other players.

In fact, I'm not too happy with Eller either. Stop bringing your warped psychodrama crap here. We're just talking about a Habs player. What a ****** little bitter post that was. Attacking others, rather than defending a player you like with facts.

I am so not impressed with your post.
He's an Eller fan, not a DD one.

Quote:

I realize it's DD vs Galchenyuk. BTW, did you not just say this in this thread:

Quote:
Why?

For one thing, based on his history, Galchenyuk can obviously score goals, and will do so. DD has not shown that he can. That alone leads me to think that Galchenyuk with progress may take DD's spot by the second half of next season.

We badly need 2 centers that can score goals.
While I agree with the projection, DD has more goals than Eller and DD at the moment in his bad year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It is a Eller vs DD discussion. Eller is a C ready for top 6 duties and PP. DD is taking that away from him.
While Chucky is ready for an exploitation role, DD is taking that away from him.
Not really, most agree DD hasn't been great on PP this year and Eller deserves a chance.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Outstanding post.
Well done, except you're forgetting the fact that DD is not helping the habs tie games when they are losing. Come on guys.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
MXD

Quote:
I could be wrong, but DD has not scored in forever. He is not a 20 goal scorer. Sorry. He has been really , badly inconsistent this year.
He scored against Philly.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Not my point. He's a 15-20 goal guy like Eller and Gally isn't there yet.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Not my point. He's a 15-20 goal guy like Eller and Gally isn't there yet.
Eller scored 16 goals last year...............

Old
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
bsl

Quote:
Wait? His greatest weakness isn't being an unidimensional, weak 5'2 midget?
That is correct.

DD strengths:

Vision
Great passing
Dedication
Hard work
Toughness for his size
Great team mate and good guy

Weaknesses:

Can be knocked off puck with a feather
Cannot score on a barn door when wingers are well defended
Cannot out muscle his opposing C in the Habs zone

The weaknesses, unfortunately, massively outweigh the strengths for a 2nd line C on a contender.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Eller scored 16 goals last year...............
I think you misread.

Quote:
He's a 15-20 goal guy like Eller.
Glad to know Eller made between 15-20 goals last year.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
I don't agree, but I will defend you're right to your opinion to the death.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
While I agree with the projection, DD has more goals than Eller and DD at the moment in his bad year.
DD had a shooting % in the mid-low 20s at one point. He's regressing towards the mean and now almost at what he's been shooting at both in the AHL and NHL (~15%). Eller's shooting % has been really low all season, 8.5 after last game, and slowly going back up to what he's shot in the AHL and NHL (~12%).

Usually when players have a bad/unlucky year scoring wise their shooting % is well below their usual rate - see Plekanec who's hot/cold in terms of goals. Last season was his least luckiest season shooting only 7.7. This year he's shooting 11.9 which is around his career average.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Backstrom is elite.
Crosby is a once in a life-time player.

Nuance.
No, that's a red herring.

They still had the habit of passing first before they work themselves out of the habit. This is a matter of split-second decision making, not a compare their talent fest.

And if you want an example of an elite center than still is pass-first, try Getzlaf.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
DD had a shooting % in the mid-low 20s at one point. He's regressing towards the mean and now almost at what he's been shooting at both in the AHL and NHL (~15%). Eller's shooting % has been really low all season, 8.5 after last game, and slowly going back up to what he's shot in the AHL and NHL (~12%)
He scored 16 last year, just like Eller though.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Et le But

And Galchenyuk is really my only concern with Desharnais' extension. He's making fair money, but if Gally is going to play center in the next year or so, he's going to have to be given high offensive zone starts at the very least. You can't be running 2 exploitation lines.

Quote:
He scored 16 last year, just like Eller though.
Desharnais was shooting at 16% though, and that was after an even higher, unsustainable start, while Eller was shooting a league average 12%. For the record, Plekanec was shooting under 8% which shows just how much bad luck he had in his "bad season"

This year Desharnais is shooting at just under 16% and Eller at 8.5% - Eller should have more goals.

While I think the trigger-shy Desharnais is a naturally high percentage shooter, since he only really shoots when he has a perfect opportunity, such percentages are rarely sustainable (Sorry Wayne Kadri)

Last edited by Et le But: 04-11-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Closed Thread