HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yakupov: something positive

Old
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Yakupov: something positive

So this place is almost unbearable to come to lately, with the realization of another season without playoffs causing many of us to go into full panic mode. I would argue that not making the playoffs and finishing where we are right now (22nd in the league) was the expected outcome, but that is a different thread.

This thread is about the vastly improved play of Yakupov in the last half of the this season. Here are his season splits through 40 games.

First 20 GP:
6 G, 6 A, 12 P, -9, 34 shots

Last 20 GP:
4 G, 7 A, 11 P, 0, 26 shots

I did not figure out ice time, as I'm lazy, but it was pretty much the same for the splits, at around 15 mins/game. He is not getting a huge push on the PP though, as he is 9th overall in PP/GP among regular players (Arcobello was higher in his 1 GP). He's playing exactly what you would expect being on the 2nd PP unit.

So although the scoring numbers are about the same for the splits, there has been a huge improvement in his +/-. This lines up with how he looks by simply watching him play. The overly-fancy moves and odd passes seem to occur less often, the simple play is made more often and he is generally looking more and more like a "pro player". His defense has improved and his physical game has become a lot more prominent. I would go so far as to say his compete level is right up there with Hall's, and that is a very large compliment. These "intangibles" have shown up in his +/-. Although his increased playing time with more responsible defensive players can't be overlooked, and his move from Gagner's line to Horcoff's line will explain some of the improvement.

He is 3rd in NHL rookie scoring, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a Calder finalist. All in all, he is having a rookie season very comparable to Hall's rookie campaign, and actually brings a bunch of the intangibles that were evident in Hall during his rookie year as well. The crazy thing about Yakupov is that he is *nowhere near* a finished product at this point, he is still very raw. Much more so than Hall was at the same age. Yakupov with 2-3 years more physical maturing and NHL experience is going to be a force, that should be clear by now.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
So this place is almost unbearable to come to lately, with the realization of another season without playoffs causing many of us to go into full panic mode. I would argue that not making the playoffs and finishing where we are right now (22nd in the league) was the expected outcome, but that is a different thread.

This thread is about the vastly improved play of Yakupov in the last half of the this season. Here are his season splits through 40 games.

First 20 GP:
6 G, 6 A, 12 P, -9, 34 shots

Last 20 GP:
4 G, 7 A, 11 P, 0, 26 shots

I did not figure out ice time, as I'm lazy, but it was pretty much the same for the splits, at around 15 mins/game. He is not getting a huge push on the PP though, as he is 9th overall in PP/GP among regular players (Arcobello was higher in his 1 GP). He's playing exactly what you would expect being on the 2nd PP unit.

So although the scoring numbers are about the same for the splits, there has been a huge improvement in his +/-. This lines up with how he looks by simply watching him play. The overly-fancy moves and odd passes seem to occur less often, the simple play is made more often and he is generally looking more and more like a "pro player". His defense has improved and his physical game has become a lot more prominent. I would go so far as to say his compete level is right up there with Hall's, and that is a very large compliment. These "intangibles" have shown up in his +/-. Although his increased playing time with more responsible defensive players can't be overlooked, and his move from Gagner's line to Horcoff's line will explain some of the improvement.

He is 3rd in NHL rookie scoring, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a Calder finalist. All in all, he is having a rookie season very comparable to Hall's rookie campaign, and actually brings a bunch of the intangibles that were evident in Hall during his rookie year as well. The crazy thing about Yakupov is that he is *nowhere near* a finished product at this point, he is still very raw. Much more so than Hall was at the same age. Yakupov with 2-3 years more physical maturing and NHL experience is going to be a force, that should be clear by now.
I agree with you that Nail looks a lot better out there in the last 20 games than he did in the first 20 but getting moved off a line featuring Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner would have a positive affect on anyone's plus/minus.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Oil Machine

I to have noticed a dramatic improvement in his play the last 10 or so games. Hopefully this translates to something similar to what Stamkos did in the last half of his rookie season which then poured into his second season. It's almost like two different players. The first 20 games he seemed lost. Horcoff I think has given him more direction on the defensive aspects of the game and that has changed him as a player. I would not be surprised if he ends up leading the rookies in scoring when the season's done.

His play has also given me comfort to say that it is time for Hemsky to go. He needs to play top six minutes next year and two 5M + contracts on the third line don't make sense. The off season is going to be interesting.

Oil Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Beerfish

Agreed, he looks good. Just wait until he isn't forced to play with stiffs.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Moneypuck

What I like even more about Yakupov, is his willingness to stir the pot. Go after guys like Yandle, deliver the first blow. Put Keith in a headlock and take him to the ice. Good on Hall too, for dishing it out. He's making some progress on his choice of timing for when he can/can't get away with stuff like often needed two handed slash.

Atleast a couple of the fab 5 are willing to go to war together. Good on both those kids for the willingness to get the first blow in at times. Bodes well for earning themselves just a bit more space out there on the ice.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Agreed, he looks good. Just wait until he isn't forced to play with stiffs.
Ya...and hopefully we get some good picks in return....

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
doulos

Love Yaks and he has certainly looked better in the second half of the season.

But using +/- to show that does nothing for me. Arguably the most useless individual statistic in the sport.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Love Yaks and he has certainly looked better in the second half of the season.

But using +/- to show that does nothing for me. Arguably the most useless individual statistic in the sport.
Patrick O'Sullivan, is that you?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Psychoil

To be honest guys (and i'm being really honest here), the thing I love most about nail yakupov is his edginess and his desire to get dirty with other teams....he never backs down, he almost always initiates contact, and he backs it up by scrapping with anyone on that ice....it isnt even about his goal scoring ability, its his swagger and his "I dont give a **** who you are, if u slash me, im gonna slash you back" attitude.

Hall doesn't have that, Nuge definitely doesnt have that, Schultz doesnt have that, and Eberle sure as hell doesnt have that

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
To be honest guys (and i'm being really honest here), the thing I love most about nail yakupov is his edginess and his desire to get dirty with other teams....he never backs down, he almost always initiates contact, and he backs it up by scrapping with anyone on that ice....it isnt even about his goal scoring ability, its his swagger and his "I dont give a **** who you are, if u slash me, im gonna slash you back" attitude.

Hall doesn't have that, Nuge definitely doesnt have that, Schultz doesnt have that, and Eberle sure as hell doesnt have that

Old
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan, is that you?

This must be some sort of "witty" HF Boards inside joke?

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I wasn't a fan of Yak when we drafted him, but he's won me over. One of the few players on the team who look like they're giving 100% each night.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
yeah but I didn't see hall go after him some more. If i was hall, I would of slashed him then started a fight with the first person that came up to me.....the point is hall should stop being afraid to get dirty with these guys....

Theres a clear difference between 64 and 4 when it comes to stuff like that....hall does it out of frustration while yakupov does it to send a message that he ain't being pushed around.....therefore, he's willing to take things one step further

Old
04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
spOiler

Yak has that same intensity as Taylor. Hes gonna be here for sure. I dont want any of them moved but if one goes i have a feeling its ebs just because Yak brings that emotion and drives the play like taylor.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
yeah but I didn't see hall go after him some more. If i was hall, I would of slashed him then started a fight with the first person that came up to me.....the point is hall should stop being afraid to get dirty with these guys....

Theres a clear difference between 64 and 4 when it comes to stuff like that....hall does it out of frustration while yakupov does it to send a message that he ain't being pushed around.....therefore, he's willing to take things one step further

He shouldn't fight until he can win and as a rule of thumb that's not going to be against anyone older than him for awhile.

If Huberdeau, Baertschi, Seguin, etc want to go more power to him.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Ya...and hopefully we get some good picks in return....
Well played.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Yakupov is awesome..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
dss97

It was hilarious watching Yak's head bob up and down as Yandle yapped at him in the penalty box

He's been very impressive lately though.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's only a matter of time before he's bit with the apathy bug thanks to multiple losing seasons.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Yak has that same intensity as Taylor. Hes gonna be here for sure. I dont want any of them moved but if one goes i have a feeling its ebs just because Yak brings that emotion and drives the play like taylor.
Absolutely agree. Loved him last night.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
MoneyGuy

Yak is one of those players the guys on opposing teams will really hate. The more of those the better.

And they hate him in Calgary.

What's not to like about the kid.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

He shouldn't fight until he can win and as a rule of thumb that's not going to be against anyone older than him for awhile.

If Huberdeau, Baertschi, Seguin, etc want to go more power to him.
well, then expect him to get pushed around until he becomes big enough to be completely dominant in every aspect of the game, or just go find someone that will stand up for him

Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

I agree. We need to keep Yakubov, and sign him long-term. He brings intensity, grit and skill every night, something that most Oilers are inconsistent with.

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Guy is only 185 lbs according to most sites... imagine how troublesome he'll be for some guys once he gains more muscle on his frame?
It'll add to his physicality and intangibles.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
well, then expect him to get pushed around until he becomes big enough to be completely dominant in every aspect of the game, or just go find someone that will stand up for him
He's actually doing a pretty good job of earning respect with random outbursts of viciousness. I'd think twice about bullying him after the damage he did to Clutterbuck and Brodin.

For example, Messier scared people a lot more with hits like these than he did with his fists: