HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Maybe I was reading older stuff and didn't know it.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If we drop back into the 5-10 range, how about Sam Reinhart? Is that too high for him to go?

Old
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
MD
#woofwoof

I thought he was eligible for the 2014 draft?

Old
04-11-2013, 11:16 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
Not sure how Drouin would fit in. Already having a hard time slotting Skinner in the lineup, adding an even tinier left wing would be complicated.

Skinner-Mackinnon-Dalpe might be a fun all offense 3rd line.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

If no Jones, im still on the Barkov train

Old
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
I thought he was eligible for the 2014 draft?
Maybe so...

Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
SkinnerStaal

Worried we will reach to take Nurse if we don't land Jones (aka have the 1 pick) - hopefully if we have the 3 or 4 pick and want a Dman we can trade down to 6 or 7 and still get Nurse - someone might really be willing to pay for Drouin or Barkov or Nichushkin. While I really like those three, just see our needs being more D oriente right now. Nichushkin would look good on the J Staal line I'm sure - would be awesome if he was the next Malkin

Old
04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

U can post all those draft % numbers you want. As I Canes fan, I know that our actual probability of getting the #1 pick is 0%

Old
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Not sure how Drouin would fit in. Already having a hard time slotting Skinner in the lineup, adding an even tinier left wing would be complicated.
But he'll look awesome fancypantsing around up until his 3rd shift when a proper NHL defender blows him up.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
TheBigKahuna

After 10+ years of missing the playoffs, JR's only had a 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall pick, never a #1. Won't happen this year either. But a 2nd-4th pick will be decent.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
bleedgreen

Drouin is a stud. We'd be nuts not to take him based on size. He seems to have awareness to his game that skinner lacks. I don't think drouin would have trouble learning from a mistake. He's an exceptional playmaker, which we need. He could fit with either staal. There's an obvious need for Jones, but the most obvious need is for the best player available. We need them all. If a goalie was number 5 and that's where we picked I'd be fine with it.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Drouin is a stud. We'd be nuts not to take him based on size. He seems to have awareness to his game that skinner lacks. I don't think drouin would have trouble learning from a mistake. He's an exceptional playmaker, which we need. He could fit with either staal. There's an obvious need for Jones, but the most obvious need is for the best player available. We need them all. If a goalie was number 5 and that's where we picked I'd be fine with it.
I agree with this, but for me he's still 3rd on my list after Jones and Mackinnon. I wouldn't be pissed if we drafted Jones with the #1 overall pick. I WOULD be pissed if we drafted someone like Nurse at 3rd overall or traded down because we missed on Jones. Luckily, JR hates drafting defensemen and loves smurfs, so I don't think this'll be an issue.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:
The left wing on Eric and Semin's line has a lot of defensive responsibilities. An 18 year old 5'9" 170lb'r can't really handle them.

You could put him with Jordan, but that's just the Skinner issue amplified. An even smaller weaker left wing playing against the other teams top lines. Super duper.

He'd fit on the 3rd line, but I was kind of hoping that's where we'd end up seeing Skinner.

Drouin as a hockey player is exciting, but I get a little nervous we'd be heading the Edmonton route of adding a bunch of guys who are uber talented, but can't form a good set of lines while ignoring our bigger problems.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
bleedgreen

None of the bigger kids fit any better by default. We lack skill as a team. Even if drouin and skinner are second/third liners we need them and their skill to win a cup. You don't draft beef with a top 5 pick. That's where you get skill if its there. Drouin has it more than the others. He isn't just skill either. Maybe drouin is a better fit than skinner than down the road you trade skinner for a vital piece. That's why you always, especially this high, take the best player. You never know what your team will look like in three years when this kid actually matters.

Counting on 18 year olds to do ANYTHING for your club is a quick way to failure. This pick is no solution for next year.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I agree with this, but for me he's still 3rd on my list after Jones and Mackinnon. I wouldn't be pissed if we drafted Jones with the #1 overall pick. I WOULD be pissed if we drafted someone like Nurse at 3rd overall or traded down because we missed on Jones. Luckily, JR hates drafting defensemen and loves smurfs, so I don't think this'll be an issue.
I agree with you totally. That's my top 3 too. Wouldn't surprise me if drouin surpasses Mac overall, but centers are more important. I agree about trading down. You don't draft off position need this high. You can always trade a different smurf.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I don't know enough about these prospects, but in general, I'm with bleed. When you have a high pick, you take BPA even if he isn't your biggest need right now.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:12 PM
StormCast

Quote:
None of the bigger kids fit any better by default. We lack skill as a team. Even if drouin and skinner are second/third liners we need them and their skill to win a cup. You don't draft beef with a top 5 pick. That's where you get skill if its there. Drouin has it more than the others. He isn't just skill either. Maybe drouin is a better fit than skinner than down the road you trade skinner for a vital piece. That's why you always, especially this high, take the best player. You never know what your team will look like in three years when this kid actually matters.

Counting on 18 year olds to do ANYTHING for your club is a quick way to failure. This pick is no solution for next year.
Yeah, his skill is such that you don't pass on him because of size. The Canes still need actual playmakers and he could provide it from the wing.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:12 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

There is 0 chance Skinner is going anywhere. Yeah one of the very few draft picks JR made that panned out nicely, fan favorite, probably sells tickets on his own. Skinner is the one we need to get rid of, lol. I don't care who we have on this team, Skinner is going nowhere. But with that said yes draft BPA please. No reaching. Just draft the best guy.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

skinner panned out nicely? so far he had an awesome rookie season but has struggled since concussions and essentially everyone figuring him out happened.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
skinner panned out nicely? so far he had an awesome rookie season but has struggled since concussions and essentially everyone figuring him out happened.
His second season was pretty much the same PPG. This year he has been thrown around on different lines, I'll give you that he has struggled recently after injuries, but that is short term IMO. Next year look for a big year. He is still on pace for close to 25/25 over 82 games this year despite having a pretty awful year. Give him another good young guy like Drouin, Mackinnon, or Barkov on his line and it'll be about as dynamic as our top line.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
So what do you think you should get out of a #7 pick? Other than the #1 or #2 pick in that draft, which other players from that draft have been better?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Drouin is so ridiculously talented it's almost unfair. If he can even bring a fraction of his game to the NHL level, he will be a star. All of it, and you have a franchise winger, a game changer when he's on the ice. He's like Skinner, he constantly makes something out of nothing. Where Skinner uses his skating , Drouin uses his hands.

MacKinnon is like Eric Staal. North-South game, fast, great shot. He doesn't have Eric's size, but a 1-2-3 punch of Staal-MacKinnon-Staal is beat only by Crosby-Malkin-whocares?(). You build from your center, and Skinner and Tlusty (with Rask and Dalpe bringing cheap contributions) is not a bad winger core either.

Jones is Jones. He's like Erik Johnson, but while Johnson has the head of a terracotta soldier ("all the tools, but no tool box"), Jones' ability to think the game is his strength. And his athleticism is nothing to sneeze at either.

We picked a good year to tank. There are 3 franchise players available (against Yakupov (or none, depending on who you ask), RNH, Hall and Seguin, Tavares, Stamkos and Doughty, and Patrick Kane). A top 3 pick will get us a player who will contribute for a long time.

Personally, I think Drouin will be the best of the 3 next year. Jones will have the best career overall. But we need to get that top 3 pick first. Losing tonight would help (and hey! we get to face a red hot Ovie).

Old
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
So what do you think you should get out of a #7 pick? Other than the #1 or #2 pick in that draft, which other players from that draft have been better?
Justin Faulk.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Boy, are posters ever going to be disappointed when the Canes win a few and end with a 7th pick. Hopefully Peters prevents that from happening.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Justin Faulk.

So are you saying Faulk's first year was better than Skinner's first year? And it looks like Faulk will miss a similar % of games his 2nd season as Skinner did in his 2nd.

Closed Thread