HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we trade Stastny/ROR? Or keep BIG 3 together?

View Poll Results: What to do with center situation?
Keep BIG 3 together (Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly), build team around those guys. 31 27.93%
Trade O'Reilly, Re-sign Stastny, try to get good pieces back for ROR in a trade. 8 7.21%
Trade Stastny next trade deadline or Draft for good defenseman or winger. 54 48.65%
Trade O'Reilly AND Stastny, start re-building again as Matt Duchene #1 center. 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

vCash: 500
I'd love to be able to play one of the three on the wing. Rotate lines in a way where you can have 3 of them on two lines, or split them up for injuries/switch things up etc. I just don't know if the ROR situation is over. I'd also be ok with a situation where u ask for just short of a king's ransom for ROR, and if you catch a fish, than you keep it.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Voted to trade Stastny and ROR both.

Would rather have prospects back. I think we're gonna blow up this team in 3-4 years anyways. And even if we don't, I'm not convinced we're going to spend to the cap to get to the next level.
Any reason why? Inevitable?

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
avsman

Stastny+Picks for Yandle+Gordon

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:09 AM
avsfan89

I made a trade in GMC involving statsny for option 3, it was:

Stastny
McGinn
Gaunce (he was on the roster since league started before he was traded)

for

D Hjalmarsson
D Oduya
F Jeremy Morin

I think this is a great deal in Morin being a great prospect winger and hammer being a top 4 dman and oduya is better than hunwick and zanon. If the avs can even get a deal like this I would be very happy.

d corps of the future would be very good:

Hjalmarsson - Johnson
Barrie - Jones
Oduya - Hejda

future:
hjalmarsson - Johnson
Barrie - Jones
Siemens - Elliot

avsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
That trade is downright atrocious.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
I made a trade in GMC involving statsny for option 3, it was:

Stastny
McGinn
Gaunce (he was on the roster since league started before he was traded)

for

D Hjalmarsson
D Oduya
F Jeremy Morin

I think this is a great deal

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Option 1: Lock up somewhere in the range of $18m-$20m in cap space in your top three centers.

Option 2: Risk Stastny sticking as a 50 point center and O'Reilly being the better player.

Option 3: Perhaps not a good return for Staz in a trade, and then who's the third line center?

Option 4: Awful option and hopefully not a realistic one. Duchene is fantastic but why get rid of both Staz/O'Ry? Would set us back.
There is an Option 5. Keep Stastny through next season, but then lose him for nothing as a UFA. Just pointing it out, because while some of your options above aren't terribly appetizing, losing Stastny for nothing as a UFA isn't very good either.

I like Option 1 the best, but don't see how they can afford that with all of those RFA contracts coming due.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
There is an Option 5. Keep Stastny through next season, but then lose him for nothing as a UFA. Just pointing it out, because while some of your options above aren't terribly appetizing, losing Stastny for nothing as a UFA isn't very good either.

I like Option 1 the best, but don't see how they can afford that with all of those RFA contracts coming due.
Letting Stastny go for nothing would be mistake in my books. Unless we are contending for Stanley cup next year and we need him for playoffs, then I would be fine with losing him for nothing(pretty small chance).

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
McDooRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Stastny won't get a Pominville return. Top 4 defenceman (Gardiner, Sbisa, Hjarmalsson, etc) + something else would be nice.

If Stastny goes, Jones has no place on this team.
We (Hawks) don't want Stastny for Hammer lol thanks though

McDooRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDooRoo View Post
Cheers, Stan.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDooRoo View Post
I think you're lost

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
i dont know how you can say its not. Hammer plays top 4 minutes, 20 min atoi and is a plus 13 on chicago, who is the number 1 team in the league. Stastny's nickname is Casper.

If stastny was as good as a top 2 dman like pietrangelo or doughty we wouldn't be considering to trade him.

Why do avs fans think they can land some magical defensmen that will be as good as doughty. Hammer in our top 4 would improve our defense drastically and to say that it isnt a good return would be just homerism.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
i dont know how you can say its not. Hammer plays top 4 minutes, 20 min atoi and is a plus 13 on chicago, who is the number 1 team in the league. Stastny's nickname is Casper.

If stastny was as good as a top 2 dman like pietrangelo or doughty we wouldn't be considering to trade him.

Why do avs fans think they can land some magical defensmen that will be as good as doughty. Hammer in our top 4 would improve our defense drastically and to say that it isnt a good return would be just homerism.
Relevant point you're making there. I also like the ridiculous hyperbole involving Pietrangelo and Doughty.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Appleanche

You really can't trade both if you want to compete in the next few years... the problem with both is they are both grossly overpaid.

ROR would be my first choice in trade, while he's a good 2 way forward 5m for him is absurd. I see the Avs having another saga next off season when his contract is up, it's simply not worth dealing with.

Stastny while massively overpaid probably realizes he's gonna need a pay cut on any team. I don't see any other place he's gonna get more than 3.5-4m, but I was wrong about anyone dumb enough to cough 5.5m up for ROR..

Appleanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Any reason why? Inevitable?

Yes I do think it’s inevitable. My reasoning is that I think the two most carousel positions in this organization are General Manager and Goaltender. That’s why I actually buy into Dater’s thoughts that Varly will be out. I don’t think the problem is Varly at all – I think it has a LOT to do with the defense in front of him, but this organization seems hellbent on a goalie winning out mass numbers of games on his ability alone, regardless of what occurs around the guy. GM is pretty self-explanatory, with the rotating door we’ve had there lately.

Both of those reasons are why I believe we should trade Stastny and ROR right now. Will it happen? Probably not, because Pierre’s “formula” is a bunch of great centers and a goaltender, and fill in other pieces wherever. But if we’re going to change the GM 3-4 years from now anyways because we can’t win, then I’d like the new GM to actually have some pieces to work with. Paul Stastny on the better side of 30 would net us more/better assets than holding on to him. And as much as people would like ROR at $5M, I don’t see it happening. If anything that episode firmly proved the guy wants to get market value (or at the very minimum to test the waters – not a slight on ROR because if I was a Pro athlete, I’d do the same thing). I don't want to lose him for nothing.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Relevant point you're making there. I also like the ridiculous hyperbole involving Pietrangelo and Doughty.

I'm more so pointing out the exaggeration on the return stastny would bring in. And the nickname is relevant because it is indicative of his offensive play as of lately the last two seasons. Avs are paying 6.5 million for 78 point stastny, not 50 point 'but-still-does-good-defensively' stastny.

Some say Gardiner+ isn't good enough. Now Hammer isn't good enough. Kulikov and Yandle are good fits but I don't see how they're that much above the other two.

So based on the negative feedback on any top 4 dman besides kulikov and yandle coming back in a trade, it does seem indeed like the expectations are way too high in terms of what needs to come back.

Might as well call up FLA and PHX and beg them for either dman because those seem to be the 'only' dmen we want for stas.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post

Stastny while massively overpaid probably realizes he's gonna need a pay cut on any team. I don't see any other place he's gonna get more than 3.5-4m, but I was wrong about anyone dumb enough to cough 5.5m up for ROR..
You are wrong. Stastny is easily worth 5+ million in a long-term deal in open-market. Most likely he will get 6+ million. Some teams probably believe he's been underperforming last few years and he's still only 27.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Appleanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You are wrong. Stastny is easily worth 5+ million in a long-term deal in open-market. Most likely he will get 6+ million. Some teams probably believe he's been underperforming last few years and he's still only 27.
We'll see, if that was the case I'd think teams would line up for him at next year's trade deadline, and we could get a great return for him.

But it's really doubtful. 6+ to me sounds like a top tier forward, top 3.. while Stastny hasn't been a top guy since 09-10.. Keep in mind 2014 has the potential to be one of the best free agent classes in ages.. check this here.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...1&fa_type_id=2

Not saying that a lot of them won't get extensions or be resigned but at least a few will make it and Stastny won't be the bell of the ball.. now if it was this free agent class where Mike Ribero is the top guy Stastny might be able to pull 5-6m.

Appleanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Yup. Tyler Bozak is going to be getting 5+ on the open market. If any player goes to UFA they get significantly overpaid.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
ROR would be my first choice in trade, while he's a good 2 way forward 5m for him is absurd. I see the Avs having another saga next off season when his contract is up, it's simply not worth dealing with.
People still think 5m for O'Ry is "absurd?"

Old
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Stastny could easily get 5.0M in the open market. And he is a decent top 6 center. No doubt. But if we can lock up Duchene and O'Reilly long term... Then there is basically no reasons for us NOT to trade Stastny to help out in other areas. Can we really sit on three top 6-centers when we at the same time have like ONE defenseman who isn't a bottom pairing guy?

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
It's not, but 6+ million is bit.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Stastny could easily get 5.0M in the open market. And he is a decent top 6 center. No doubt. But if we can lock up Duchene and O'Reilly long term... Then there is basically no reasons for us NOT to trade Stastny to help out in other areas. Can we really sit on three top 6-centers when we at the same time have like ONE defenseman who isn't a bottom pairing guy?
IMO there are a number of ways. Either plan on signing somebody who can play top 4 minutes or draft Jones or a combo of those.

This team is more dangerous with Stastny than without. If he can be retained for under $6m, I think the Avs should try to keep him. With at $64+ cap the Avs can have all 3 centers signed for 5.5-7m and still be able to afford talent.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
We'll see, if that was the case I'd think teams would line up for him at next year's trade deadline, and we could get a great return for him.

But it's really doubtful. 6+ to me sounds like a top tier forward, top 3.. while Stastny hasn't been a top guy since 09-10.. Keep in mind 2014 has the potential to be one of the best free agent classes in ages.. check this here.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...1&fa_type_id=2

Not saying that a lot of them won't get extensions or be resigned but at least a few will make it and Stastny won't be the bell of the ball.. now if it was this free agent class where Mike Ribero is the top guy Stastny might be able to pull 5-6m.
Okay, just top of my head,

How many teams Stastny could upgrade, at least top-6 center:

Anaheim, #2 Koivu.
Buffalo, #2 Ennis.
Calgary, #2 Stajan.
Chicago, #2 Sharp.
Columbus, #1 center.
Dallas, #2 center.
Detroit, #2 Brunner.
Florida, #1-#2 center Huberdeau.
Minnesota, #2 Cullen.
Montreal, #2 Desharnais.
Nashville, #1 center.
New Jersey, #1 center.
Ny islanders, #2 center.
Ottawa, #2 center.
Philadelphia, #1 center.
Phoenix, #1 center.
St.Louis, #1 center.
Toronto, #2 center.
Winnipeg, #1 center.

Sure, some of those are probably wrong, just browsed through all teams. Those teams could all use Stastny for either #1 or #2 line center duties. I think he leaves to St.Louis to play with his buddies. He's gonna get paid, that's for sure. Stastny is great #2 center for almost any team in NHL, for some teams ok #1 center as well.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
I still don't get this. I haven't seen a single soul questioning that he will be worth $5M. It still doesn't change that he was asking for too much too soon. Regardless of how good he does from now on. It was never about how much he would be worth in the future. He will surely be a $5M+ player some day.

I'm happy and pleased with his performance this season. He has been what I expected him to be. He hasn't exactly stood out in any way. But he has lived up to the expectations.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote