HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait - Broken Ankle, **Activated from IR**

Old
04-08-2013, 07:17 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Also, Donovan can't really replace Strait, the Isles need a better defensive presence. Donovan is still a work in progress in his own zone (not saying he is terrible, but it certainly isn't his strength). We don't need a pp qb with Vis and Streit.

How long until Carkner is back?
generally yes. right now donovan is riding high form. He is extremely strong in his own zone in the last games. Best player in bridgeport by a mile (even though strome has looked good except yesterday). Donovan is blocking shots, hitting guys, clearing the crease, activating down the wing, scoring etc while partnered up with wishart.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:19 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Broken ankles? You had two broken? Ouch!
At different times, not the same time lol.
When you see the calf muscle after 5 weeks in a cast, it is 2" smaller in circumference than the other leg. Takes a while to build that back up.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Staple:

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: Brain Strait skating with #Isles skills coach Bernie (Nicholls) Cassell prior to AM skate.
https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...20964389556224

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

It would be nice to see him back, but I would give him as much time as he needs until he's 100% healthy. He doesn't have enough NHL experience to play hurt, especially if the team makes the playoffs.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:33 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
It would be nice to see him back, but I would give him as much time as he needs until he's 100% healthy. He doesn't have enough NHL experience to play hurt, especially if the team makes the playoffs.
I think the ideal scenario would be for Strait to get a game or two before the playoffs - yes, we're making the playoffs!

Besides, he's probably the one who can grow the best playoff beard and we need him to up our beard factor.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

two Norris candidates looking to come back early from injuries - Karlsson and Strait! * okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration *

I must admit, both Hickey and Strait have been solid additions to the Isles defense. I'll add Martinek as well. This team doesn't have the glaring holes on defense anymore, the ones that have been so apparent since, well, a long long time.

A top six of Streit-Visnovsky-MacDonald-Hamonic-Hickey-Strait with depth like Carkner-Martinek-Finley is a pretty good defense.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think the ideal scenario would be for Strait to get a game or two before the playoffs - yes, we're making the playoffs!

Besides, he's probably the one who can grow the best playoff beard and we need him to up our beard factor.
Hopefully we are in it long enoungh that it's down to his stomach.
I think they are definetly wanting to get him a few games in before the playoffs begin. I he can get back to practice by next week he should be ready to go.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
two Norris candidates looking to come back early from injuries - Karlsson and Strait! * okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration *

I must admit, both Hickey and Strait have been solid additions to the Isles defense. I'll add Martinek as well. This team doesn't have the glaring holes on defense anymore, the ones that have been so apparent since, well, a long long time.

A top six of Streit-Visnovsky-MacDonald-Hamonic-Hickey-Strait with depth like Carkner-Martinek-Finley is a pretty good defense.
I really hope you don't want Streit and Visnovsky out at the same time and not the top line either. That would be a huge mistake.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

That would be pretty awesome. I really like Strait.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I agree. It would be great if he could play a couple games in BP. Can he be loaned there or put on a conditioning stint. I still think he is far away from any of this.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Agreed. The def has been much better of late. Nabby has managed to cut down on the softer goals that has helped (knock on wood). Seems like the whole team, minus the first line is in a nice groove.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I really hope you don't want Streit and Visnovsky out at the same time and not the top line either. That would be a huge mistake.
No. I don't like the defense pairings or the forward lines. I actually like the Streit-Martinek and Hickey-Visnovsky combos. I'd probably break-up Hamonic-MaDonald at some point, but not this year.

I worry a bit about Streit-Carkner tonight, to be honest. Carkner is too slow and Streit needs someone who's stronger defensively and more mobile - like Strait. I would have gone Martinek but it's still Cappy's decision.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
steveat

Philly has always given it to us physically, so I am sure that is why Cappy opted for Carks.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:27 AM
bigd

I hope Strait can replace Carkner ASAP!

Old
04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
duster19

Quote:
why is Carkner not fighting? He used to fight allll the time. I see Martin shy away some times to. You think Cappy frowns on fighting?

Old
04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
For once I actually support Cappy in the decision to dress Carkner against the teams who start trouble, and dress Martinek in games where we could use the skill. Still happy with the Carkner signing, he was sticking up for guys the whole game last night and I think he really kept a lot of Philly players in line.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
why is Carkner not fighting? He used to fight allll the time. I see Martin shy away some times to. You think Cappy frowns on fighting?
He's tough as nails but he's a liability in the D zone. I don't care about the fighting. Once the playoffs start fighting drops down to next to nothing. I never liked the idea of a defenseman as a fighter anyway. You take him out of the lineup with a fightinng penalty and it puts a big stain on the remaining D.

Last edited by bigd: 04-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Bunk Moreland

Watching Staple's chat right now one of the first questions was about Strait here's what was said:

Quote:
Comment From Guest
With Strait coming back soon, where do you see him fitting in on D?

Staple:
I think he goes back in with Streit as the 5-6 pair to start. He still hasn't practiced, though, and he'll need 4-5 days of real practice work to get ready -- I don't even think the Isles have that many practices scheduled before the end of the season. Unless there's an injury on that 5-game road trip or some serious breakdowns, I'd imagine Strait will be ready for the postseason, not much sooner.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Watching Staple's chat right now one of the first questions was about Strait here's what was said:
Makes sense, the other two pairings have been solid so you don't want to mess with those.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
duster19

Quote:
He's tough as nails but he's a liability in the D zone. I don't care about the fighting. Once the playoffs start fighting drops down to next to nothing. I never liked the idea of a defenseman as a fighter anyway. You take him out of the lineup with a fightinng penalty and it puts a big stain on the remaining D
like it or not it is part of the game. I just find it odd that he hasnt had a fight. He fought in Ottawa alot. I would think Garth brought him in the lineup for that reason. He looks like he is trying to be physical. I wondered if there was something coming from the top not to fight.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
bigd

Quote:
like it or not it is part of the game. I just find it odd that he hasnt had a fight. He fought in Ottawa alot. I would think Garth brought him in the lineup for that reason. He looks like he is trying to be physical. I wondered if there was something coming from the top not to fight.
I never said I didn't like it, but it has to serve a purpose other than just entertaining the fans. If your defenseman gets a 5 min fighting penalty that hurts your defense overall because 5 D have to play more minutes. I'd much rather see Martin fight over Carkner. I don't see Carkner getting much icetime in the playoffs. Those penalties can kill you in a short series.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
duster19

Quote:
I never said I didn't like it, but it has to serve a purpose other than just entertaining the fans. If your defenseman gets a 5 min fighting penalty that hurts your defense overall because 5 D have to play more minutes. I'd much rather see Martin fight over Carkner. I don't see Carkner getting much icetime in the playoffs. Those penalties can kill you in a short series.
I dont think he will play much, esp if Strait is back. I dont care about if hes a dman that fights or what, Im saying its odd he hasnt had a fight yet.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
they aren't letting players fight after the whistle anymore

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:28 AM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

This is good news.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 58m
Brian Strait joining teammates for #Isles AM skate.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:10 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
This is good news.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 58m
Brian Strait joining teammates for #Isles AM skate.
Very good news.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote