HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Cogen @ Vanderbilt Law School

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
NSHPreds

vCash: 500
Jeff Cogen @ Vanderbilt Law School

Watched Jeff Cogen's lecture at Vanderbilt Law School regarding the entire hockey business. Not sure if he was busy trying to sell the Nashville Predators' brand or what, but he pretty much ignored the terrible season. Best statements were the attempt to convince that there are benefits to not going to the playoffs and that this is actually good... (?) and then emphasizing player payrolls are very important to him mainly because of a guy named "Shea Webber". Very interesting.

Last edited by NSHPreds: 04-11-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHPreds View Post
Watched Jeff Cogen's lecture at Vanderbilt Law School regarding the entire hockey business. Not sure if he was busy trying to sell the Nashville Predators' brand or what, but he pretty much ignored the terrible season. Best statements were the attempt to convince that there are benefits to not going to the playoffs and that this is actually good... (?) and then emphasizing player payrolls are very important to him mainly because of a guy named "Shea Webber". Very interesting.
Did you really expect him to publicly blast his company?

Did he also misspell Shea's name?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
NSHPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Did you really expect him to publicly blast his company?

Did he also misspell Shea's name?
Nope. That was me mistyping. Apologies for the rush.

As for him, do not expect him to blast his company. I think I am just taking greater offense because I am a big Nashville fan and feel passionate about it.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

the positives for not making the playoffs are getting a better draft pick. He wants that playoff revenue I am sure. Why would he talk about the preds bad season when he is there to talk about the business part of hockey?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHPreds View Post
Nope. That was me mistyping. Apologies for the rush.

As for him, do not expect him to blast his company. I think I am just taking greater offense because I am a big Nashville fan and feel passionate about it.
If he's coming in as a guest speaker he's not going to harp on any negatives. IF it was state of the team address I'd expect different.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
NSHPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
the positives for not making the playoffs are getting a better draft pick. He wants that playoff revenue I am sure. Why would he talk about the preds bad season when he is there to talk about the business part of hockey?
Exactly why I was at a loss as to why he even brought it up. From a business standpoint, the lecture was good regarding the discussion of ticket revenues, merchandising and etc.

From a fan perspective, however, discarding this season's performance and failure to make to the playoffs as a "there are benefits to not making it to the playoffs" seemed a bit intellectually dishonest. Not making to the playoffs may give us good draft picks, but does not give good revenue. Not the same ticket sales, etc. It is not of today that the Preds have been playing at a questionable level. If I remember well, the performance of the team was repeatedly questioned several times in the last two years mainly because of re-occurring issues in gameplay, even at the playoffs. The fact that they have constantly refused to solve the problems and try to sugar coat it with "there are benefits to our poor performance" just irked me as a fan, I guess. I understand it is probably silly to expect him to be honest about the team's situation right now, mainly in a business lecture, but I do feel he opened the door to criticism by bringing such a controversial aspect into the discussion. :/

Old
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Nitrous Mafia

oh, so this is another one of those negative threads

i get it

Old
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Fo Shea Shea

Still not understanding what you are wanting him to say. He is there to talk the business of hockey. On ice the Preds are struggling and its irrelevant to a lecture on the business of hockey. Off the ice this team as healthy as it's ever been.

I think there are positives to not making the playoffs. To be honest, with a shortened, rushed season, I'm not terribly disappointed they aren't making the playoffs. Bad seasons like this allow teams to re-evaluate their system, players, and coaches. Make adjustments, that probably wouldn't have been made other wise, that are better for the future success. This team has had decent regular season and some playoff success since the last lockout. While some teams are sacrificing prospects, caps space, and draft pics to win now and taking a hit at future success, the Preds have an opportunity to reset and build toward the next few years. Not to mention a season like this keeps the organization humbled and reminds them that the playoffs aren't a given.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
NSHPreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
Still not understanding what you are wanting him to say. He is there to talk the business of hockey. On ice the Preds are struggling and its irrelevant to a lecture on the business of hockey. Off the ice this team as healthy as it's ever been.
Exactly. He is there to talk the business of hockey. He is not there to talk about the Preds struggling and that is irrelevant to the lecture. He did, however, talk about the Preds struggling. If he wishes to talk about the Preds struggling, he should at least give the full picture because at that moment he went into a whole different issue that is completely non-business related.

Regardless, this will clearly not take us anywhere.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
SavageSteve

I think that the team still gets revenue sharing for the playoffs as well. With large-market teams involved like Toronto, their gates go into the till and are shared as well. I remember that vaguely from PHX's deep run last season. With the new CBA, I think we get a break on re-building through that.

Old
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
thecloser

can we close this thread? all of this has previously been said in other threads.

on the other hand, someone already said something like this but he wasn't gonna go in there and talk about the team. it was BUSINESS lecture. oh well, he mentioned the struggles, who cares, i'm assuming he only mentioned that its a got positives because he was probably leading somewhere else that pertained to his business discussion.

dear lord....

Old
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah if people want to talk about Cogen lecturing at Vanderbilt it should go into the OT thread, or the Gen Preds Talk thread. No need in a new thread for it.