HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 06:22 AM
PensFan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Halberstram View Post
Dupes. . . AINEC.
Agreed. I'm a huge Morrow fan, but the only way I see them resigning him is for under 2. He surely shouldn't get a spot over Dupuis, unless Dupuis wants something excessive.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Yeah, I think they'll let Cookie walk, unless he's willing to take a paycut. Glass is an option if he starts to play better and play like he should. That's more cap space with Glass still in lineup.

I have a question for all: Would you keep Morrow for $3M or Dupuis for $3M?
Dupuis no question.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The issue with that, is we're not going to pay Cooke 1.8m (or anything above 1.1m) to play on the 4th line. One of JJ, Iggy, Dupuis, Cooke need to go (assuming that BB starts in the NHL). Either JJ gets bought out, or he plays on the 3rd line, and we let one of Cooke/Dupuis/Iggy walk.

Dupuis 2.75 - Crosby 8.7 - Iggy 4.0
Kunitz 3.725 - Malkin 8.7 - Neal 5.0
JJ 2.1 - Sutter 2.06 - Bennett 0.9

I'd love to re-sign them all, but it just doesn't make sense. And I'll be honest.. that 3rd line doesn't really scare me much... at least not as a shutdown line.
Okay then move Kunitz to Sid's left wing, Bennett to Malkin's left and Duper to Sutter's right.

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy Pure awesomeness
Bennett-Malkin-Neal Also awesome
JJ-Sutter-Duper Best shutdown/offensive 3rd line in the league

Old
04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
redsono93

Do you guys think we can go after guys like Stalberg and Nystrom free agency and dump guys like Glass and such instead? Thanks.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I have a question for all: Would you keep Morrow for $3M or Dupuis for $3M?
Depends on who you allow to walk. If you keep JJ and Iggy, and let Dupuis walk, then sure take a stab at keeping Morrow... but I wouldn't want him at 3m (unless we can afford it, and it's a 1yr deal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Okay then move Kunitz to Sid's left wing, Bennett to Malkin's left and Duper to Sutter's right.

Kunitz - Sid - Iggy Pure awesomeness
Bennett - Malkin - Neal Also awesome
JJ - Sutter - Duper Best shutdown/offensive 3rd line in the league
Yeah I'd be fine with that too. I just want to make sure that we're going to give BB a chance to play if he deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Do you guys think we can go after guys like Stalberg and Nystrom free agency and dump guys like Glass and such instead? Thanks.
I don't see Shero dumping Glass. Glass is a versatile player. Perhaps an overpaid one, but still. Nystrom and Stalberg will want to get paid as 3rd liners... so in the 1.5-3m range. I don't see how that fits with the players we already have (assuming we try to retain our current UFAs).

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
04-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
This management/ coaching staff has cost the owners some 10 to 20 million in lost revenue due to early playoff exits in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Three out of four first round exits will not sit well with the owners. Nothing would surprise me but if Mario hires the new coach, that is not good for Shero.
Absolutely everyone will get a pass due to both Crosby and Malkin being out. The fact they managed to stretch it 7 games is amazing in and of itself.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy Pure awesomeness
Bennett-Malkin-Neal Also awesome
JJ-Sutter-Duper Best shutdown/offensive 3rd line in the league
Love it . . .

Old
04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Dupuis no question.
There's not even a debate to be had. Dupuis has to be brought back as long as his demands are reasonable.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
mpp9

Kunitz, Neal, Bennett, Iggy, JJ and Dupuis with Sid/Geno/Sutter down the middle is sick depth.

Gonna be tough to keep Duper though. He'll get 4 mil in free agency. He'll have to take a huge discount to stay here. If we can't retain him, bringing Morrow back on the cheap would be nice.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Malkinstheman

Does anybody think we should target Anton Khudobin during free agency? Has a samll frame but still a great goalie. I read somehwere that the bruins planned to let him go and h would sign in the khl if he didnt receive any offers. Seem like he has potential.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Does anybody think we should target Anton Khudobin during free agency? Has a samll frame but still a great goalie. I read somehwere that the bruins planned to let him go and h would sign in the khl if he didnt receive any offers. Seem like he has potential.
Tomáš Vokoun is still on the books next year and Jeff Zatkoff is signed as well and deserves a few starts.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Tomáš Vokoun is still on the books next year and Jeff Zatkoff is signed as well and deserves a few starts.
Could replace thiessen..

Old
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Could replace thiessen..
how? what? why would he play in the AHL after proving himself to be a very good NHL backup?

Old
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
how? what? why would he play in the AHL after proving himself to be a very good NHL backup?
I thought as much, idk it just seems to good of an opportunity to pass up, i guess we just dont have space.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

QUOTE=Malkinstheman;63718145]I thought as much, idk it just seems to good of an opportunity to pass up, i guess we just dont have space.[/QUOTE]

around this time last year the team's Goalie depth was a veritable wasteland and in one off-season Shero was able to sign a 1B backup, a promising AHL starter, draft a decent prospect and another wait-and-see type. gotta give him credit for that.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

speaking of goal-tending, it looks like Jimmy Howard is going to re-sign:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 min
Jimmy Howard confirms he is close to deal with Wings, Expects it will be done by weekend. It is 6 years in the $5.3 Million per year range

Kari Lehtonen re-signed last year for 6 years at 5.9M per. Howard and Lehtonen are about the same age as MAF but MAF of course has more experience under his belt. it might not be too soon to start speculating about MAF's next contract. although so much of how we feel will be tied into this years playoff performance.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post

No. First priority in terms of current players is getting Letang, Malkin & Kunitz signed to extensions, and then lock up Iginla, Dupuis and Cooke. I would trade Kennedy at the draft, and buyout/trade/waive Tanner Glass.

If we're able to extend & re-sign all the guys I mentioned above, we'll be tight against the cap and won't be able to do anything else. In fact, we'll probably have to trade one of Orpik/Martin/Niskanen to make that work. My preference would be to trade Orpik, and perhaps even look at retaining Murray -- though the latter will be less likely and more challenging.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
speaking of goal-tending, it looks like Jimmy Howard is going to re-sign:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 min
Jimmy Howard confirms he is close to deal with Wings, Expects it will be done by weekend. It is 6 years in the $5.3 Million per year range

Kari Lehtonen re-signed last year for 6 years at 5.9M per. Howard and Lehtonen are about the same age as MAF but MAF of course has more experience under his belt. it might not be too soon to start speculating about MAF's next contract. although so much of how we feel will be tied into this years playoff performance.
Fleury is signed for two more seasons so it will still be a while before this even comes up. I think it's worth taking a look at the top (and bottom) goalies in the league this season. There is a good argument to me made for not tying too much money up in goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
No. First priority in terms of current players is getting Letang, Malkin & Kunitz signed to extensions, and then lock up Iginla, Dupuis and Cooke. I would trade Kennedy at the draft, and buyout/trade/waive Tanner Glass.

If we're able to extend & re-sign all the guys I mentioned above, we'll be tight against the cap and won't be able to do anything else. In fact, we'll probably have to trade one of Orpik/Martin/Niskanen to make that work. My preference would be to trade Orpik, and perhaps even look at retaining Murray -- though the latter will be less likely and more challenging.
Cooke has been our worst PK forward and is looking less and less capable of being a 3rd line player. I'm not too attached to him for next season and if he is retained it needs to be at a 4th line salary.

Additionally, what is the rush to extend Kunitz? We would be making him an offer when his value is at an all-time high. Let's see how next season plays out first as his production and our team could look quite different by then.

Last edited by shureshot66: 04-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Kennedy won't be qualified, imo. You can say there's some chance he's still tradeable but I really don't see the Pens taking the risk of qualify him and getting stuck with him at 2 million next year.

I do think Glass will be gone. The Pens are going to have to go dirt cheap on the 4th line until the cap goes back up. 1.1 million 4th liners are a luxury they just can't afford, especially when they're as underwhelming as Glass is.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Kennedy won't be qualified, imo. You can say there's some chance he's still tradeable but I really don't see the Pens taking the risk of qualify him and getting stuck with him at 2 million next year.

I do think Glass will be gone. The Pens are going to have to go dirt cheap on the 4th line until the cap goes back up. 1.1 million 4th liners are a luxury they just can't afford, especially when they're as underwhelming as Glass is.
Agreed, Kennedy is most likely gone especially with us keep Jokinen for next year which will be more or less the same salary

To add depth I'd bring back Steve Sullivan for cheap

Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
avsman

I saw a comment on the main boards about the possibility of a Martin buyout, how likely is this? Could he be acquired for a pick at the draft? He'd be a great partner for EJ, especially under a new coach next year.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
I saw a comment on the main boards about the possibility of a Martin buyout, how likely is this? Could he be acquired for a pick at the draft? He'd be a great partner for EJ, especially under a new coach next year.
I think Martin has squashed any buyout possibility with his fabulous play this year.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
Would the Avs move their 2nd round pick?

Martin has been great for us this season

Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think Martin has squashed any buyout possibility with his fabulous play this year.
That's what I thought, I really wanted him last year when he was underperforming, he just reads the game so well. I wasn't sure if in some desperation move in a cap crunch if it would truly be a possibility

Old
04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Would the Avs move their 2nd round pick?

Martin has been great for us this season
Personally I'd do the 31st(30th because of forfeited NJD pick) for Martin.

Closed Thread