Roanoke folds

Old
05-15-2006, 08:16 PM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Roanoke folds

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3311038

UHL East now down to Danbury, Elmira, and Adirondack.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:53 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

So long, crap team. Hockey hit it's peak here in the late 90's with the ECHL's Roanoke Express. Mike Peron, Kris Cantu, Jason Clarke, JF Tremblay, Daniel Berthiaume, Chris Lipsett, Vern Fiddler, etc etc.

The city is just not demographically suited to any sports teams success. The median age here is inching upwards to close to 40, your average older couple has no desire to pay 22.50 for cie level seats for minor league hockey. Thanks to the UHL, and the inept owners of the Vipers that's what they were charging. Ridiculous.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
So long, crap team. Hockey hit it's peak here in the late 90's with the ECHL's Roanoke Express. Mike Peron, Kris Cantu, Jason Clarke, JF Tremblay, Daniel Berthiaume, Chris Lipsett, Vern Fiddler, etc etc.

The city is just not demographically suited to any sports teams success. The median age here is inching upwards to close to 40, your average older couple has no desire to pay 22.50 for cie level seats for minor league hockey. Thanks to the UHL, and the inept owners of the Vipers that's what they were charging. Ridiculous.
I agree. I personally dont mind paying that every now and then (I did for the 'Dogs games), but not the older folks. The UHL is on the decline bigtime. The Riverdogs owners treated the public like crap in the headlines toward the end of last season. The SPHL is a much better run league - glad the Renegades are returning. Roanoke is in a good location for the SPHL I think.

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
I agree. I personally dont mind paying that every now and then (I did for the 'Dogs games), but not the older folks. The UHL is on the decline bigtime. The Riverdogs owners treated the public like crap in the headlines toward the end of last season. The SPHL is a much better run league - glad the Renegades are returning. Roanoke is in a good location for the SPHL I think.

Not if the operators of the Roanoke Civic Center can be convinced that hockey can be successful.... Richmond was blessed with a committed individual to bring the Renegades back IN Richmond after the illfated attempt to move the successful Renegades ECHL franchise to a new territory in Chesterfield County that's when the Riverdogs made their plea to keep hockey in Richmond, if not for the original owner, would there be hockey in Richmond?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Not if the operators of the Roanoke Civic Center can be convinced that hockey can be successful.... Richmond was blessed with a committed individual to bring the Renegades back IN Richmond after the illfated attempt to move the successful Renegades ECHL franchise to a new territory in Chesterfield County that's when the Riverdogs made their plea to keep hockey in Richmond, if not for the original owner, would there be hockey in Richmond?

Bingo. The current administration of the Civic Center in Roanoke has said with NO uncertainty that hockey will not be coming back to town any time soon.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Major

I don't know if you can actually say the ACHL/WHA2/SPHL is a better run league...

Teams don't seem to last very long in that league either. Though they have had a few ECHL dropouts last a bit.

Lower-tier leagues, ECHL/UHL/SPHL are all going to grow and shrink over time. The problem with these lower leagues is that a little success goes to their heads and they want to expand all over hells half-acre. ECHL is going to have a harder time with the added expense of the east/west game. San Diego dropped out this year, Long Beahc is rumored to be on the edge (though they just got bought). UHL had spread out, and now are shrinking. SPHL stays about the same through expansion/retraction. CHL is staying about the same - though they are losing a team or two - although the Scorpions are coming back.

Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Dr Hook

Send a message via MSN to Dr Hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I CHL is staying about the same - though they are losing a team or two - although the Scorpions are coming back.
CHL is a net +2 this season. Fort Worth dropped out for at least a season as they couldn't agree a lease with the city. Arizona Sundogs and Rocky Mountain Rage are expansion teams for this season, and as you noted, New Mexico is back with a new arena in place.

Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
PghPens2002

Send a message via AIM to PghPens2002
That sucks they left, i'm moving back to town next year and it'll be hockeyless. Oh well, better then Express die out or move than the Pens.

PghPens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPens2002 View Post
That sucks they left, i'm moving back to town next year and it'll be hockeyless. Oh well, better then Express die out or move than the Pens.
Try being in Tallahassee.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
PghPens2002

Send a message via AIM to PghPens2002
touche' !

PghPens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote