HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  #101
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,636
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Rarely is it smart to play in the first couple days of free agency, unless it's an undervalued asset like Semin.

Devils should be targeting Weiss, Filppula, Bouchard, and perhaps Clowe. Guys who probably won't be first day signings and could probably be had for below what they're worth due to down seasons. I think a player like Bouchard would be a really good add - we need players with hockey sense who can create.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
  #102
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
If we want players having down seasons, we should just re-sign this current team

apice3* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
  #103
Cowbell232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
If we want players having down seasons, we should just re-sign this current team
Anytime you ask a player to fill a role bigger than his shoes for long enough, you have to know they will fail. That's what needs to be addressed this off season.

__________________
[size="1"]"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
Cowbell232 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
  #104
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
We're going to be bad for a long while. The lockout honestly couldn't have come at a worse time.

Right now we have a ton of depth, no top talent. Top talent isn't going to hit UFA much anymore because of the extra contract year re-signing players. All of this coming 3 months after our top talent leaves for Minnesota. Meanwhile we have few offensive prospects and have to forfeit a 1st rounder soon.

apice3* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
  #105
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,093
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Rarely is it smart to play in the first couple days of free agency, unless it's an undervalued asset like Semin.

Devils should be targeting Weiss, Filppula, Bouchard, and perhaps Clowe. Guys who probably won't be first day signings and could probably be had for below what they're worth due to down seasons. I think a player like Bouchard would be a really good add - we need players with hockey sense who can create.
Most of those guys just add to what we already have, role players that aren't top end talent. Weiss is the only legit top six talent of those names, maybe Filpulla but he could never really unlock his potential with Detroit, I doubt he'll do it here.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
  #106
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,120
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I would try to sign Weiss and Horton. Gives us two top 6 players

Devils Trap is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
  #107
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,636
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Most of those guys just add to what we already have, role players that aren't top end talent. Weiss is the only legit top six talent of those names, maybe Filpulla but he could never really unlock his potential with Detroit, I doubt he'll do it here.
Bouchard definitely has top six talent, and would be our most skilled forward after Kovy and Elias.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  #108
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
 
GameSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
We're going to be bad for a long while. The lockout honestly couldn't have come at a worse time.

Right now we have a ton of depth, no top talent. Top talent isn't going to hit UFA much anymore because of the extra contract year re-signing players. All of this coming 3 months after our top talent leaves for Minnesota. Meanwhile we have few offensive prospects and have to forfeit a 1st rounder soon.
THIS is the nuclear scenario that concerns me. This team has the potential to be *bad* for a while.

And that pick forfeit is going to be tough to swallow if it's a top 5 pick. I don't want to hear anything about hindsight, but having that penalty still lingering over us will create a ton of stress next season (as in fans, not the players... they'll just be bad).

GameSeven is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
  #109
The Green Unit
Registered User
 
The Green Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Aging goaltending, one dimensional defence, lack of top-end talent.

I've seen franchises in better shape.

The Green Unit is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
  #110
Connor McDevil
Registered User
 
Connor McDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Let's ease up on the wrist-slitting.

We win half of those shootouts and people around here wouldn't even begin to think about the bleak future.

Connor McDevil is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
  #111
The Green Unit
Registered User
 
The Green Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Bouchard is skilled but also the epitome of injury prone.

The Green Unit is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
  #112
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Bouchard definitely has top six talent, and would be our most skilled forward after Kovy and Elias.
sweet jesus...youre kidding right?

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
  #113
The Green Unit
Registered User
 
The Green Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
You can't rely for ever on shootouts to get 2 points, sooner or later it's coming back to haunt you. We were lucky last season, now we're not anymore.
Bottom line, win more games in regulation.

The Green Unit is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  #114
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lou View Post
Let's ease up on the wrist-slitting.

We win half of those shootouts and people around here wouldn't even begin to think about the bleak future.
not true. when we were winning every game in the beginning of the season, i was pointing out team flaws and told 'we're winning, we're awesome, im not worried'. some of us could see what was coming from the beginning, and now here we are

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
  #115
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Unleash Adam Larsson

The Devils need to give Adam Larsson the freedom to play his game. In the beginning of his rookie season he was putting up good numbers. He scored 13 (out of 18) points in 26 (out of 65) games in November and December. That was when they were letting him play.

Now they are benching him for making the same mistakes the captain makes. They are giving him 2 less minutes at even strength (on average) when they should be giving him 2 more minutes. This is not a recipe for success.

Play the guy 25 minutes on good nights. Give him time on the power play. It cant get any worse than what it already is. Let Adam Larsson play to his potential. Some nights he will impress and some nights he will play like he deserves 15 minutes. You cant teach him to play like Salvador and expect him to become like Lidstrom. UNLEASH!!!

tsipka is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
  #116
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
more redundant threads wooooo

apice3* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  #117
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Wait you mean he hasn't been playing? Why?

Unknown Caller is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  #118
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
The Devils need to give Adam Larsson the freedom to play his game. In the beginning of his rookie season he was putting up good numbers. He scored 13 (out of 18) points in 26 (out of 65) games in November and December. That was when they were letting him play.

Now they are benching him for making the same mistakes the captain makes. They are giving him 2 less minutes at even strength (on average) when they should be giving him 2 more minutes. This is not a recipe for success.

Play the guy 25 minutes on good nights. Give him time on the power play. It cant get any worse than what it already is. Let Adam Larsson play to his potential. Some nights he will impress and some nights he will play like he deserves 15 minutes. You cant teach him to play like Salvador and expect him to become like Lidstrom. UNLEASH!!!
Did you see how badly he started to look defensively right about three or four games in?

I remember him having an absolutely terrible game against someone like Nashville early in that season. Take the safe approach, let him work on his defensive game and gain confidence there, and then worry about the offense. I'd rather him be a great all-around defender than one who puts up points but defensively has some problems.

Keep in mind he's only 20, he's got room to grow.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  #119
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever
 
Henrique Iglesias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ-NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,091
vCash: 500
I approve of this thread.

Let the man play his game.

Henrique Iglesias is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
  #120
Connor McDevil
Registered User
 
Connor McDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
What will we have going forward? I'm making assumptions here, no doubt:

-at the very least, a solid mobile d-corps with some degree of playmaking ability (pooled from the likes of Larsson, Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas, Burlon, Scarlett and Severson)
-2-way center depth

Which leaves dynamic, elite offensive talent and a top-end goalie. Call me crazy, but I think we got the hardest part down.

Connor McDevil is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  #121
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Rarely is it smart to play in the first couple days of free agency, unless it's an undervalued asset like Semin.

Devils should be targeting Weiss, Filppula, Bouchard, and perhaps Clowe. Guys who probably won't be first day signings and could probably be had for below what they're worth due to down seasons. I think a player like Bouchard would be a really good add -we need players with hockey sense who can create.

THIS.

We need dynamic offense. I don't even care if the person we add is not the best defensive forward, we just need someone that will come here and add a different dynamic to our offense.

We have the players that win battles on the boards and go to the net, we have some shooters, but we lack the guys who will find players up and down the ice like Bouchard.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  #122
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Did you see how badly he started to look defensively right about three or four games in?

I remember him having an absolutely terrible game against someone like Nashville early in that season. Take the safe approach, let him work on his defensive game and gain confidence there, and then worry about the offense. I'd rather him be a great all-around defender than one who puts up points but defensively has some problems.

Keep in mind he's only 20, he's got room to grow.
Obviously, he will have bad games. He has had several bad games this year too. "Focusing" on being Bryce Salvador will not help him become a great all around defender. The point is to let him develop every aspect of his game.

tsipka is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
  #123
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
 
GameSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lou View Post
What will we have going forward? I'm making assumptions here, no doubt:

-at the very least, a solid mobile d-corps with some degree of playmaking ability (pooled from the likes of Larsson, Urbom, Merrill, Gelinas, Burlon, Scarlett and Severson)
-2-way center depth

Which leaves dynamic, elite offensive talent and a top-end goalie. Call me crazy, but I think we got the hardest part down.
Which is the part we've got down?

We've got unproven D-men with upside.

I'll give you 2-way centers, although sad that our top two *both* underachieved mightily this year.

Kovy is elite offensive talent, although one could argue his dynamism went after his back problems last year or from being encouraged to be a more responsible forward. And he's only one player.

Goalie might be our biggest question mark as Marty winds down.

GameSeven is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  #124
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever
 
Henrique Iglesias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ-NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,091
vCash: 500
The FA group this year is weak. I feel like the only true way we can improve our roster is via trade. I'm not sure who it would take to get these guys, but hoping are potentially available (wingers, as I think we have our centers down):

- Wheeler
- Stewart
- Horton
- Ryan
- Cammalleri

My fault, forgot Horton is a UFA this season.


Last edited by Henrique Iglesias: 04-11-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Henrique Iglesias is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
  #125
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 28,083
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
You realize he didn't play last night because he got hit in the foot in practice, right?

He skated today, Volch is suspended now, he'll get his chances.

cj225 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.