HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Yeah, we'll be lucky to get #5.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
So are you saying Faulk's first year was better than Skinner's first year? And it looks like Faulk will miss a similar % of games his 2nd season as Skinner did in his 2nd.
Justin Faulk won the Championship the year he after he was drafted. Skinner didn't even make the playoffs.

Faulk>>>>Skinner

Old
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Justin Faulk won the Championship the year he after he was drafted. Skinner didn't even make the playoffs.

Faulk>>>>Skinner
I see what you mean. On top of that, he can grow a mustache and beard, Skinner is still a couple of years away from that.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Right now, I am not even considering the top 3 to be an option. I think MacKinnon is the best player in this draft and would pick him regardless of where my pick was in that group. Jones is overhyped. Drouin had a fantastic WJC where MacKinnon wasn't given much of a chance. Props to him for taking advantage, but it was a right place right time situation for kids with that kind of talent. It could have just as easily been MacKinnon.

As for the best of the rest, I am quite enamored with Barkov. I think he's the logical pick at 4th overall. Nichushkin is gaining on him in my mind. Not too high on Lindholm from what I have heard.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Right now, I am not even considering the top 3 to be an option. I think MacKinnon is the best player in this draft and would pick him regardless of where my pick was in that group. Jones is overhyped. Drouin had a fantastic WJC where MacKinnon wasn't given much of a chance. Props to him for taking advantage, but it was a right place right time situation for kids with that kind of talent. It could have just as easily been MacKinnon.
You know what's great about the top 3? I have read posts from many reasonable posters on the prospects board (the ones who actually watch the games rather than the ones who attack anyone who suggests that Stuart Percy will top out as a 3rd pairing dman at best ) have made arguments for all 3 as the overall number 1.

I refuse to get my hopes down! Tank for it all baby!

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 04-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
We should draft Barkov to replace Jussi

Old
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnerStaal View Post
Worried we will reach to take Nurse if we don't land Jones (aka have the 1 pick) - hopefully if we have the 3 or 4 pick and want a Dman we can trade down to 6 or 7 and still get Nurse - someone might really be willing to pay for Drouin or Barkov or Nichushkin. While I really like those three, just see our needs being more D oriente right now. Nichushkin would look good on the J Staal line I'm sure - would be awesome if he was the next Malkin
If we're at 4 Nurse isn't a reach imo. Top 3 he would be. Nut Nurse and Barkov.don't have much separation if any at all

Old
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Yeah, we'll be lucky to get #5.
No, not really. Not saying we're a lock for a top 5 pick, but this is kinda different from seasons past where we went on late runs to ruin our draft spot. With Ward and Pitkanen out, I'll be surprised if we go on our patented late season run.

As for Jones being a bit overhyped, I agree. He'd be the best fit for this team but he's not far and away a better selection than Mackinnon or Droin. And as for the Drouin vs. Mackinnon comparison, personally I think Drouin is the player with the higher ceiling, whereas Mackinnon is more of a sure thing and and more of a two way player. The discrepancy between their numbers in the QMJHL are just too much to discount Drouin when comparing him to Mackinnon offensively, nevermind their WJC numbers which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Getting any one of them would be huge.

Seth Jones can be our Chirs Pronger. He, Zach Boychuk, Time Brent and Jiri Tlusty can go beat up some hookers in a nightclub before we trade him for Patrick Marleau, who leaves after 1 year.

Drouin can be Jordan's winger. Him, Skinner and Jordan would be a deadly line.

Likewise, A 1-2-3 punch of Staal-Staal-MacKinnon, then Staal-MacKinnon-Staal before MacKinnon-Staal-Staal would be amazing.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:57 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Personally I think taking Mackinnon or Drouin would make Eric (and maybe Jordan) too jealous, so we'd probably pick Nurse or Zadarov instead. Since Eric has been jealous of Skinner, we haven't made the playoffs, so this just validates my opinion even more.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Getting any one of them would be huge.

Seth Jones can be our Chirs Pronger. He, Zach Boychuk, Time Brent and Jiri Tlusty can go beat up some hookers in a nightclub before we trade him for Patrick Marleau, who leaves after 1 year.

Drouin can be Jordan's winger. Him, Skinner and Jordan would be a deadly line.

Likewise, A 1-2-3 punch of Staal-Staal-MacKinnon, then Staal-MacKinnon-Staal before MacKinnon-Staal-Staal would be amazing.
this franchise HAD the ACTUAL Chris Pronger and let him go......and look what he has become......

Old
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Skinner View Post
this franchise HAD the ACTUAL Chris Pronger and let him go......and look what he has become......
Did you not understand the part right after what you bolded?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
ONO94

Quote:

Hurt--just like all the other Hurricanes?

Old
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
So what you're saying is, we can retread Chris Pronger to solve all our problems?

Old
04-12-2013, 10:51 PM
MD
#woofwoof

so iv'e been trying to thinking of comparisons for the big 3 in this draft and so far i have:

Seth Jones - Pronger?
Druin - Patrick Kane?
MacKinnon - ??

can anyone with more knowledge than me tell me if these are accurate, or have a good one for Mac?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

MacKinnon is somewhere in between Seguin and Kovalchuk playing center in my eyes.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Imagine Eric Staal at 18, except instead of doing wrap arounds on every ****ing play, he goes for the snipe.

That's MacKinnon.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Imagine Eric Staal at 18, except instead of doing wrap arounds on every ****ing play, he goes for the snipe.

That's MacKinnon.
Needs more wraparounds....

to not make Staal as jealous.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Needs more wraparounds....

to not make Staal as jealous.
Tripp: "And in the offseason, Eric took young Nathan MacKinnon under his wing. Talk about leadership."

<<<MacKinnon beats Ward glove side high on a nasty snipe in practice>>>

Staal: "No, no, no. You've got to do what I taught you."
Nathan: "But-"
Staal: "No buts. You want to succeed? The wrap around is your only option."
Nathan: "But the last 3 times I've tried it, Jordan's lined me up for a hit."
Staal: "Heh heh heh.."

TO BE CONTINUED

Old
04-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
MacKinnon is somewhere in between Seguin and Kovalchuk playing center in my eyes.
Seguin was the player that immediately came to my mind as well. Not a perfect comparison but there's no such thing really.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

If MacKinnon can score in the NHL like he is supposed to be able to do, I'm sure it'll be sucked dry once he starts playing here. Same with Jones and the defense.

Super talented top 6 on paper = zero production
Defense consisting almost entirely of offensive defensemen = Can't get a shot on net through

Therefore, drafting Drouin is the only option. Because at the very least, he can bank passes off a completely unaware Westgarth and into the net. This, of course, after he's been put on the 4th line because we don't want to break up the Top 6.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:49 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
If MacKinnon can score in the NHL like he is supposed to be able to do, I'm sure it'll be sucked dry once he starts playing here. Same with Jones and the defense.

Super talented top 6 on paper = zero production
Defense consisting almost entirely of offensive defensemen = Can't get a shot on net through

Therefore, drafting Drouin is the only option. Because at the very least, he can bank passes off a completely unaware Westgarth and into the net. This, of course, after he's been put on the 4th line because we don't want to break up the Top 6.
Clearly Drouin would be back in Halifax if we didn't want to break up the top-6. We need that fourth line to provide an intimidating presence. Just having Westgarth on the bench makes the guys feel safer. There's no room for a smurf like Drouin.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Gr8Dan

I hope we get to see the new jerseys at the draft this year... Hopefully one of Drouin, Mackinnon, or Jones in it.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

For all the talk about the big 3 (4?) in this class, Elias Lindholm is someone I'd love to know more about. He impressed the few times I saw him play at the WJC, and apparently has the 4th highest PPG of any draft-eligible prospect in SEL History (Behind Forsberg and the Sedins). That, and his highlight video is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone who's seen these guys play more think he could challenge Barkov or Drouin for Top 4, or is he firmly implanted in that 5-8 range with Monahan, Nurse, Nichushkin, etc.? Thanks

Old
04-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Lindholm has a lot of offensive creativity and is a pass first kind of player. Great hand eye. Decent speed and a willingness to play the body. Watching him at the WJC, however, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't seem to relish the opportunity to shoot the puck with more authority and I suspect it's because he has an under average shot I have heard comparisons to Backstrom with a bit more physical edge but I don't know if his playmaking will carry him that high. The thing about Lindholm is that people see him as a safe bet to play in the NHL in some capacity, but the upside leaves some wondering.

The question scouts are going to ask themselves is if his playmaking is transcendent enough to make up for the fact that he's not a natural shooter and if his physical play will stay with him in the transition to NA hockey.

To me, he's probably the least attractive out of the group of MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nichushkin. I have him on about even ground with Monahan, who is also a two way player with intangibles that could see him come off the board at around the same time. So for my money, Lindholm is the 5th best forward in this draft.

Closed Thread